Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess I either haven't been paying attention enough in The Witcher 3 or I'm jsut not far enough into it, but I haven't noticed repeating NPC dialogue.

I DID notice, however, a pair of guards in the Bloody Baron's keep reciting "The Gimp" conversation fro Pulp Fiction word-for-world. :stare:

Yeah, it's just flavorful background noise and, like you, I barely noticed it. I have a lot of issues with W3 but repetitive chatter is way down low on that list. I pretty much get how open world world games almost have to resort to it. You're not going to cast a different voice actor for every god damned NPC on a map or flesh out all of their loving stories. But come to think of it, W3 was better in most regards about that poo poo and the depth of the world building is by far the least of that game's problems that might drag it down.

One might say it's a little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm going around in dq11 just doing odds and ends and putting off the final fight. I've hit a point where I can enter horse races for free and have yet to lose the race that gives me a rare crafting mat yet the game won't just give me infinite crimsonite. Respect my time drat it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Any open world fantasy game should just have the player character be a foreigner who doesn't speak the local language so that all generic NPCs can speak something like Simlish to each other for background chatter and anyone you actually need to speak to also speaks your character's language.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

The Witcher 3 thing I got most annoyed at was the horse handling. The way you can hold X to stay on a marked path is good, but occasionally Roach will just veer off the path, or smash into a bridge, or stop dead when you slightly nudge them to take a particular fork in the road.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Any open world fantasy game should just have the player character be a foreigner who doesn't speak the local language so that all generic NPCs can speak something like Simlish to each other for background chatter and anyone you actually need to speak to also speaks your character's language.

Walking through Elswyer and it's just the Meow Mix jingle on loop in the background.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

My brain reminded me of this at like 10 last night and im still annoyed about it.

Moonlighter is a very mediocre dungeon crawler/item shop game and of the little things, its the fact that they tried to make it look like theirs choice in the weapon and armor upgrades but they all ended up feeling samey, but the bigger one is that upgrading your shop size more than once doesn't feel like much of a upgrade.

Essentially the first upgrade gives you a entire second table which doubles how much you can sell, but the second one only gives you two protected spots as opposed to a full table of 4, and puts them both on opposite ends of the shop as well as introducing shoplifters, which just kinda didn't exist before. You quite literally pay for problems to be introduced.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MNIMWA posted:

The Witcher 3 thing I got most annoyed at was the horse handling. The way you can hold X to stay on a marked path is good, but occasionally Roach will just veer off the path, or smash into a bridge, or stop dead when you slightly nudge them to take a particular fork in the road.

Horse AI working as planned.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MNIMWA posted:

Yeah, the countryside bridges were definitely the worst for this. You have to take them almost pixel-perfect for the horse to not come to a screeching halt.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
horses are very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcaZPWC6NU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Byzantine posted:

Walking through Elswyer and it's just the Meow Mix jingle on loop in the background.

Wealth beyond meowsure outlander

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This is a supreme nitpick, especially of a game I adore, but I really don't like some of the weapon choices in the Resident Evil 2 remake.

I can't vault them for using the VP70M for Leon's main gun, since it was used in the original and it's Leon's signature gun in the series and people would have had heart attacks if they changed it, but changing Claire's main weapon from the Browning Hi-Power to this ugly rear end S&W Bodyguard model and just, eaugh. :barf: Her main weapon should have been the Browning, and she should have picked up a Colt Python or something if they wanted to give her a damage dealing handgun to equal Leon's Desert Eagle.

Also, this has improved very much in RE2, but up until RE7 Capcom has had major issues with sound design. RE7 uses weapon and reloading sfx all the way from RE4, and they sound so dinky and lack any kind of oomph. RE2 has a few questionable sound effects but it's a major improvement. Trailers for RE3 have me hopeful. If I'm going to use a shotgun in a game I better be hearin' some satisfying KER-CHAKs okay?

That is my pedantic weaponry aesthetic choices rant for today.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They were just maintaining the tradition of Clare's weapons being shittier than Leon's. I just think it's unfair they made her secondary character section loving awful as well.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I loving adore Dragon Quest Builders 2 but why would you map "change tool" to the same button as "talk" when there's someone following close behind you for 90% of the game?

Edit: And he doesn't go away when you're in base at the Island of Awakening like he does on other islands :(

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jan 31, 2020

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There's an option to change the tool-switching controls, at least on ps4. I definitely picked a different one for that exact reason when I played that game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Olive! posted:

There's an option to change the tool-switching controls, at least on ps4. I definitely picked a different one for that exact reason when I played that game.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller and I don't think X is used for anything, gonna try that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Sunswipe posted:

They were just maintaining the tradition of Clare's weapons being shittier than Leon's. I just think it's unfair they made her secondary character section loving awful as well.

In the RE2make, I think Claire has a better weapon selection than Leon. The SMG is great for sawing off zombie legs so you can just run past. The different grenade types work very well in her favor, too. Sure, the magnum is incredibly powerful, but it's really only useful against bosses and Lickers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leavemywife posted:

In the RE2make, I think Claire has a better weapon selection than Leon. The SMG is great for sawing off zombie legs so you can just run past. The different grenade types work very well in her favor, too. Sure, the magnum is incredibly powerful, but it's really only useful against bosses and Lickers.

The structure of that game is kinda backwards from what I expected (not in a bad way), it took me a long time to really "get" that things work a lot better if you focus on stacking things in favor of avoidance a lot of the time.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Small maximum control group sizes in old RTS games.

My completionist brain compelled me to finish filling out the Smash Bros: Ultimate spirit roster shortly after Terry Bogard was added, and found I mostly needed ones that could only be obtained through crafting, usually involving giving up a specific spirit, so I had to fight the RNG to get them to appear on the spirit board. I found several spirits that were event-exclusive and had been only available for about a week. They would be added into the normal rotation though. Eventually. And once they were added along with the most recent DLC character, I found there were more exclusive spirit events that I missed :argh:

I am weirdly bothered that there are a few random trophies and a bunch of stickers I never got in Brawl.

I don’t know whether it’s our my opponent’s fault, Nintendo’s, my house’s WiFi, ATT’s, or a combination of the previous that makes Smash multiplayer so hard. Smash 4 on my DS was unplayable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm trying to play Project Rub in an airport and there's a minigame where you have to blow a yacht to a drowning woman. The ambient noise here is too loud and it won't work :(

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Oh is that what they said? I always thought it was "my body!" after the party beat the crap out of them. That makes way more sense.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Missing: J.J. Macfield and The Island of Memories repeatedly has a character refer to getting their "red wings" and it's like drat did nobody think to tell that non-native English speaker that it's going to kill the mood of your serious puzzle platformer message game to just pepper a slang term for period sex in the final act. Same with the voice acting, the main voice actress is terrible and really flat and the last third of the game is wall-to-wall unskippable dialogue of a character slowly doing the backwards talk thing from Twin Peaks. It's even more frustrating because the text messages in the game are really true to life and well written so they obviously had access to someone who could write good dialogue.

Also as a fan of Deadly Premonition and D4 I was incredibly disappointed that The Missing wound up being an "it was all a dream" story. A lot of what landed for me with Deadly Premonition was the fact that all the stuff that you thought could possibly be all in the main character's head or an abstraction was actually 100% real and there was actually some insane supernatural poo poo going on, same with D4's magical realism time travel combined with very mundane settings, so the fact that The Island of Memories was just JJ's dying dream and all the supernatural stuff was incredibly obvious and on-the-nose metaphors (wow a monster is chasing me with a box cutter and the game opened with a disclaimer about suicide, what could this possibly represent or be leading up to :geno:) was a huge letdown and the least interesting or surprising direction to go even before considering that puzzle platformers about depression are already such a trite and oversaturated genre.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Dragon Quest Builders 2 imposes on the creative spirit a bit too often for my liking

You get a giant flat area in the desert of your free-build island, so I built a cool town

Then I completed the second island and a bunch of people came back home with me to live in the desert. Awesome. However, to continue the story, I have to tear down my town and allow them to build a giant gently caress-off pyramid for no goddamn reason. Like it's annoyingly huge and serves no purpose and oh cool the top section is off center and ugly and now I have to snake a minecart track through it, also to continue the story

Just let me loving buuuuild

I like the story, I like the management, I love the building, but give me a sandbox ffs and stop building your ugly poo poo in the middle of it

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Playing Mass Effect 3 on the PC, and selecting Squad Mate powers from the control menu simply does not work 50% of the time. I've gotten into the habit of spam clicking on the ability I want to use since otherwise nothing happens, but the fiddliness really drags me out of the flow of combat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The gear score system in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint doesn't make a lick of sense. Unlike say AC:O there aren't any visible stats attached to things like shoes and gloves so it is extremely unclear what advantage there is to wearing a pair of 25 shoes versus 20.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

The gear score system in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint doesn't make a lick of sense. Unlike say AC:O there aren't any visible stats attached to things like shoes and gloves so it is extremely unclear what advantage there is to wearing a pair of 25 shoes versus 20.

It’s only a bonus/penalty for when you fight the elite guys or robots. There’s no stats per se. Later on, the rarer stuff will come with bonuses like XP gain or damage to drones that gets told to you pretty clearly.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Zoig posted:

Moonlighter is a very mediocre dungeon crawler/item shop game and of the little things, its the fact that they tried to make it look like theirs choice in the weapon and armor upgrades but they all ended up feeling samey, but the bigger one is that upgrading your shop size more than once doesn't feel like much of a upgrade.

Essentially the first upgrade gives you a entire second table which doubles how much you can sell, but the second one only gives you two protected spots as opposed to a full table of 4, and puts them both on opposite ends of the shop as well as introducing shoplifters, which just kinda didn't exist before. You quite literally pay for problems to be introduced.

I stopped playing pretty quickly when I realized grinding is the point of the game. None of its systems are worth putting any work into it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I stopped playing Moonlighter when it kept crashing randomly at least once a play session. I might go back later to check it again and hope they fixed that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

I stopped playing pretty quickly when I realized grinding is the point of the game. None of its systems are worth putting any work into it.

It's a Recettear style dungeon crawler, it's advertised as such on the tin. I kinda got bored with the game by the third dungeon (there's just not enough variety as you're touching on) but grinding in itself is central to this style of game.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Afriscipio posted:

This was me with Digimon World Next Order

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Afriscipio posted:

I stopped when I realised that doing the second dungeon is basically the same as the first but with bigger numbers. No wrinkles to it at all.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Someone mentioned the running animation of the main character being bad before and I felt relieved that I was not the only person that got irrationally irritated by something so silly. I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel and the animations in this game are terrible. The main character is the worst, but everyone runs like they're a robot with rusty joints.

https://i.imgur.com/R5X7iHQ.mp4

MiddleOne posted:

It's a Recettear style dungeon crawler, it's advertised as such on the tin. I kinda got bored with the game by the third dungeon (there's just not enough variety as you're touching on) but grinding in itself is central to this style of game.

They made an entire game based on the worst part of Recettear and with none of the charm, no surprise its bad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Riatsala posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 imposes on the creative spirit a bit too often for my liking

You get a giant flat area in the desert of your free-build island, so I built a cool town

Then I completed the second island and a bunch of people came back home with me to live in the desert. Awesome. However, to continue the story, I have to tear down my town and allow them to build a giant gently caress-off pyramid for no goddamn reason. Like it's annoyingly huge and serves no purpose and oh cool the top section is off center and ugly and now I have to snake a minecart track through it, also to continue the story

Just let me loving buuuuild

I like the story, I like the management, I love the building, but give me a sandbox ffs and stop building your ugly poo poo in the middle of it

I played through the entire game and got the plat, and except for the required stuff I never built outside of the farming town you make. It was just too much, and I didn't want to start from scratch again, I just wanted to build one big Town full of people.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rise of the Tomb Raider. Don't give me platemail armor to wear, then make a sequence where I can't wear platemail armor :arghfist:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Morpheus posted:

I played through the entire game and got the plat, and except for the required stuff I never built outside of the farming town you make. It was just too much, and I didn't want to start from scratch again, I just wanted to build one big Town full of people.

I'd be totally on board with doing that, but I really like the desert aesthetic too. rectangular adobe buildings are my poo poo. Also I can't get my townfolk to poop fast enough to make a decent amount of worm food so desert it is for now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PYF Little Things Dragging This Game Down: I can't get my townfolk to poop fast enough

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Riatsala posted:

I'd be totally on board with doing that, but I really like the desert aesthetic too. rectangular adobe buildings are my poo poo. Also I can't get my townfolk to poop fast enough to make a decent amount of worm food so desert it is for now

Calories in, calories out!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rimworld has this trait called "night owl", gives them a mood boost at night and a malus in the morning. You can simply change their sleep schedule to be sleeping during the morning hours but.. as you get better beds, pawns need less sleep, so they don't stay asleep the entire time and wake up earlier. And now they're all pissy because of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Rimworld has this trait called "night owl", gives them a mood boost at night and a malus in the morning. You can simply change their sleep schedule to be sleeping during the morning hours but.. as you get better beds, pawns need less sleep, so they don't stay asleep the entire time and wake up earlier. And now they're all pissy because of it.

Rimworld's mood system is weird as hell because the positive and negative mood things last way, way too long. A man will step in some dog poo poo, and three years later he's still pissed off about that one time he stepped in dog poo poo, then slowly spiral into insanity because the temperature dropped by one degree and he refused to put on a warm coat (and if you force him to wear a warm coat he gets a different negative mood debuff) and then when he goes insane almost none of the insanity things do anything except make everyone else unhappy. It's like a shittier version of dwarf fortress tantrum spirals, except most tantrum spirals in dwarf fortress have a logical (for dwarf fortress) escalation, rather than just the perpetual lingering of people never not being miserable for years over stepping in dog poo poo or getting cold, while there's almost nothing you can do about it because taking deliberate action as the player makes them even more miserable.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Nuebot posted:

Rimworld's mood system is weird as hell because the positive and negative mood things last way, way too long. A man will step in some dog poo poo, and three years later he's still pissed off about that one time he stepped in dog poo poo, then slowly spiral into insanity because the temperature dropped by one degree and he refused to put on a warm coat (and if you force him to wear a warm coat he gets a different negative mood debuff) and then when he goes insane almost none of the insanity things do anything except make everyone else unhappy. It's like a shittier version of dwarf fortress tantrum spirals, except most tantrum spirals in dwarf fortress have a logical (for dwarf fortress) escalation, rather than just the perpetual lingering of people never not being miserable for years over stepping in dog poo poo or getting cold, while there's almost nothing you can do about it because taking deliberate action as the player makes them even more miserable.

My favourite part is that once your colony reaches certain wealth values your colonists get upset if you don't have enough "recreation variety". Eventually you need literally every possible type of recreation available, some of which you can't research or build directly and have to be bought. And then when they're all mad because you don't have a telescope you get hit with a psychic drone that gives everyone a massive negative moodlet because gently caress you, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Nah, you're exaggerating. Maybe it was like that in the past but the length of debuffs and source of negative moods is pretty logical and make sense. Yeah it's pretty hard to juggle it all sometimes, but that's the challenge I love.

I just had a raid where two family members of one of my colonists were part of the attacking group and died, and she lost a friend. No poo poo she's going to be losing her poo poo regularly for the time being, that's traumatizing as gently caress.

I'll give you that the system is somewhat opaque, like where and how you can restrict them from wearing tattered clothing, and make sure they wear parkas in winter and dusters in summer, but you can absolutely automate all that with just a few clicks. Just forcing them to wear particular clothing doesn't give them a negative mood.

I was just thinking the other day how Rimworld (and the modding scene) is as close to perfection for a sandbox basebuilding game as I've ever seen.

As for a thing dragging it down, I wish it had an easy to use world and map editor.