Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This week's Outsider, Curb and Avenue 5 are already up for streaming, due to the Super Bowl I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news to you fuckin Sandler fans.

quote:

Timed with the launch today of “Uncut Gems” on the streaming service giant everywhere outside North America, Netflix has announced that they have extended their deal with actor/producer Adam Sandler and his Happy Madison Productions for four more films.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is Sandler the hardest working man in Hollywood?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

So basically he’s going to just make more garbage instead of good poo poo?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It pays the bills for him and his friends.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
He did warn us that if he got snubbed for an oscar he's make a horrible film. Thanks Netflix, I hate it.

TBF he fuckin' deserved a nomination if not a win. Don't know why they snubbed him but the oscars are a weird hollywood circlejerk anyway :shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So basically he’s going to just make more garbage instead of good poo poo?

Like he was ever going to stop making garbage.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finally on Avenue 5 they put the "in english please" joke to rest with a shotgun.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSiDu3Ywi8E
I didn't watch 8 but I"m back now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Han!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Outsider is really awesome

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen the last couple of films but I don't even really understand what the Fast and Furious movies are about anymore. Like the first couple of ones were about undercover cops who had to pose as drag racers and getaway drivers but I think the last one I saw they were like international bank robbers being blackmailed by Jason Statham who had faked some of their deaths and The Rock was Interpol or something chasing them down? Or something? And now the two of them are teaming up in a spinoff to fight a super powered Idris Elba? And are they like international spies or secret agents now or something? Is all of this because Dom liked to race cars and had questionable morals?

I said I was watching the Mission Impossible films because by serendipity I noticed they were all streaming on services I had. This piqued my curiosity and turns out all the F&F movies are too. I actually started up the first one and its so aggressively loud. I haven't finished the MI ones yet but I guess I'm just picking really dumb and loud action franchises to watch in the background.

I'm trying not to look at that Transformers set someone gifted me a few years ago.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 1, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The newer Fast & Furious movies are basically powerless superhero action movies. They’re aggressively stupid but I think they kinda know it? The ones directed by Justin Lin are actually pretty fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it’s obvious from trailers they’re just kind of super hero or bond movies now. I just have no idea how a bunch of dumb drag racers and petty thieves got there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The newer Fast & Furious movies are basically powerless superhero action movies. They’re aggressively stupid but I think they kinda know it? The ones directed by Justin Lin are actually pretty fun.

Yeah, the only difference between them and Marvel movies is they actually have decent action sequences.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Much like how I miss when Mission Impossible was actually about spycraft (basically just MI:1, and the show) I also miss when F&F was about car street racing.

Because now its just another generic hollywood action series that just sometimes has cars in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zaphod42 posted:

Because now its just another generic hollywood action series that just sometimes has cars in it.
Hell no it isn't. It's a superhero series with insane vehicle stunts instead of superpowers, and they're much more fun to watch than most actual superhero movies.

Also, what other Hollywood action series has such an emphasis on doing anything for family?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rageaholic posted:

Also, what other Hollywood action series has such an emphasis on doing anything for family?

Basically all of them at this point?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Croatoan posted:

He did warn us that if he got snubbed for an oscar he's make a horrible film. Thanks Netflix, I hate it.

TBF he fuckin' deserved a nomination if not a win. Don't know why they snubbed him but the oscars are a weird hollywood circlejerk anyway :shrug:

Because his acting in that movie isn't really anything special, it was just good casting to have him play the same exact type of selfish neurotic he plays in his comedies in a different setting that doesn't constantly reward and ultimately redeem it.

Also the people who whine loudest about how the oscars are just a circlejerk that don't matter are without fail the ones who spend the most time complaining about nominations, almost like they just have sour grapes that their personal preferences aren't being validated or something.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
guys, the cars are the super powers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rageaholic posted:

Even the last Die Hard was pitched this way, its become extremely common.

Admittedly Furious does it a little better? But it also varies heavily from film to film based on who's directing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zaphod42 posted:

Even the last Die Hard was pitched this way, its become extremely common.

Admittedly Furious does it a little better? But it also varies heavily from film to film based on who's directing.
The last Die Hard was poo poo, that doesn't count haha

F&F is about a very nontraditional "family" but it's the most important thing to the members.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rageaholic posted:

The last Die Hard was poo poo, that doesn't count haha

If Die Hard is in the title of a movie, and it doesn’t either stop there or contain the phrase “with a vengeance” it’s poo poo.

I miss when it was a trilogy and 2 was the kind of boring one in the middle of two better movies, instead of 1 and 3 being the only good ones in a zombie franchise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
None of the Fast movies will ever live up to the amazing, ridiculous, bombast fest that is Con Air, the greatest action movie

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GreenNight posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you all, but one of the biggest factors in making it into the historical canon is the size of a body of work from an artist.

When people think about the end of the 20th/beginning of the 21st century in five hundred years they'll remember Nicholas Cage and Adam Sandler...

precision posted:

None of the Fast movies will ever live up to the amazing, ridiculous, bombast fest that is Con Air, the greatest action movie

wow look at this guy who has never seen the rock :nyd:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*Angrily slamming fist on table*

FACE. OFF.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen the last couple of films but I don't even really understand what the Fast and Furious movies are about anymore.

capital F Family

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen the last couple of films but I don't even really understand what the Fast and Furious movies are about anymore. Like the first couple of ones were about undercover cops who had to pose as drag racers and getaway drivers but I think the last one I saw they were like international bank robbers being blackmailed by Jason Statham who had faked some of their deaths and The Rock was Interpol or something chasing them down? Or something? And now the two of them are teaming up in a spinoff to fight a super powered Idris Elba? And are they like international spies or secret agents now or something? Is all of this because Dom liked to race cars and had questionable morals?

I said I was watching the Mission Impossible films because by serendipity I noticed they were all streaming on services I had. This piqued my curiosity and turns out all the F&F movies are too. I actually started up the first one and its so aggressively loud. I haven't finished the MI ones yet but I guess I'm just picking really dumb and loud action franchises to watch in the background.

I'm trying not to look at that Transformers set someone gifted me a few years ago.

I was talking about this very subject earlier. Like I saw the first two when they came out and I saw 8. I keep meaning to watch the ones in the middle but I watched the first, couldn't get over how goofy and dated it was. I haven't been able to watch the rest. But I have no idea how they made it so they went from street car racers/thieves to loving special agents that know kung fu and poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I need to watch that again, I loving love that movie. The prisoners were perfectly cast and you can tell Cage, Malkovich, Buscemi, and Trejo were having a blast going full ham. It’s so dumb and so fun to watch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Himym becomes unwatchable immediately after Barney and Robin's engagement doesn't it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know how much of a hot take this is but I always kind of liked 2 Fast 2 Furious even though everyone hated it. I kind of chalked that up to how much of a fan I was of John Singleton (RIP) but I know I watched it casually a bunch of times the way you do dumb action films. Having watched the original last night and 2F2F today I kind of stand by that and think it aged a lot better than the original. The first is just kind of loud and obnoxious and overbearing. There's always people yelling or bad music or poo poo happening and it exhausted me. The second isn't really a good movie but its a way slicker, easier film. Crazily pretty people, crazily pretty cars, crazily pretty Miami, simple paper thin plot. It just sort of held together more for me while the first just felt like a bit of an abrasive mess. But looking at Rob Cohen's filmography that seems like his expertise.

Also these films really are an interesting time capsule of the early 2000s. I forgot Devon Aoki existed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2F gave us two great characters so there's that at least. I'm still shocked they haven't mined it and brought Cole Hauser back.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Continuing a watchthrough of Reno 911 and, for those who saw it, was anybody else disappointed at the payoff of the Leslie/Dangle/Garcia love triangle cliffhanger at the end of S4/start of S5?

I would've been pissed if I had to wait a year for them to pay that off by going SIKE, GAY MARRIAGE IS ILLEGAL HERE, YOU'RE GOIN' TO JAIL!, though Dangle's "Through the lawyers" comment when Garcia talks to him in the first briefing is fun. That subplot continuing would've been a good time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reno 911 got really weird in later seasons, but never dipped in quality. It might be one of the most consistently hilarious shows ever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I need to watch that again, I loving love that movie. The prisoners were perfectly cast and you can tell Cage, Malkovich, Buscemi, and Trejo were having a blast going full ham. It’s so dumb and so fun to watch.

Cyrus "The Virus" :hellyeah:

Don't forget the incomprehensible ball numbing action of the climax, where freeways and structures just appear as needed with no ties to reality

In retrospect, Suicide Squad was trying to be the next Con Air, and failed

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

precision posted:

Reno 911 got really weird in later seasons, but never dipped in quality. It might be one of the most consistently hilarious shows ever

That's the first thing in the entire run which I've found lame (so far) and that's only because a camera crew following happily-partnered Leslie and Dangle's personal lives could've been a lot of fun with the two actors playing it up with stuff like trailer redecoration. I get the feeling Dave Holmes is probably underappreciated in the legacy of the show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My friend's mom had a job as a video distributor for zellers or walmart or some big retail chain and she got giant palettes of movies a month or so before they'd be on shelves in my friends garage, and she like personally stocked stores with new VHS tapes. its a bizarre job now that i think about it but i swear thats what she did

one day my friend calls me over and hes got this plastic wrapped copy of Con Air and it was only in theaters like 3 or 4 months ago :blastu: we watched that movie at least 10 times in a month, eventually just fast forwarding to the end bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Really liking 68 Whiskey so far. Which feels weird to say about a show with basically no plot.