Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jamfrost posted:

Wow, GOG Galaxy functions as an every launcher are neat. I especially like the list view that shows all the play times. E: It's in-depth.

My only problem with it is, so far, it seems slow at updating achievements, playtime, etc. (I only noticed with Steam games; I should check Hades tonight [does EGS even HAVE cheevs?])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

Monster hunter, grab the high res texture pack if you have 8 GB of VRAM

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Monster hunter, grab the high res texture pack if you have 8 GB of VRAM

I do (2070 Super), but is the high res pack going to be something I’ll notice if I don’t have a high end monitor yet and am stuck at 1080p?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I do (2070 Super), but is the high res pack going to be something I’ll notice if I don’t have a high end monitor yet and am stuck at 1080p?
You're a card haver now buddy, you can do things like supersample from 4k to get antialiasing and you'll want the high res textures for it not to look funny.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Imo this gif demonstrates what I meant when I was talking about Wolcen's combat borrowing from CAGs.
https://twitter.com/WolcenGame/status/1223261498220347394

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mordja posted:

Imo this gif demonstrates what I meant when I was talking about Wolcen's combat borrowing from CAGs.
Dang that does look cool

Still gonna hold out for the full release to see if it's, you know, done or not before I shell out money for it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Wolcen will be pretty cool on full release. Even with the very old + limited EA build I could see a lot of potential and the monster hitting feels good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can see a difference at 1080p because some of the non-high res textures are pretty bad lol, one and only thing dragging down the game’s otherwise extremely good graphics imo. but if the disk space or download size will be a concern for you/you’re just surfing for graphics to throw at your new computer and not really playing the game, you can definitely skip it

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I had decent time with Headlander until about two hours in when I hit a gamebreaking bug that made it impossible to progress. I googled and there were reports about it as soon as it had released but Double fine never bothered fixing it. I can't be bothered restarting my game either.
Wish I could still refund it.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 31, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

M&KB only.... :hmmno: :nallears: :shitman: :wtchris:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

M&KB only.... :hmmno: :nallears: :shitman: :wtchris:
Imagining playing any game on controller and thinking I might as well be dead

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I can see a difference at 1080p because some of the non-high res textures are pretty bad lol, one and only thing dragging down the game’s otherwise extremely good graphics imo. but if the disk space or download size will be a concern for you/you’re just surfing for graphics to throw at your new computer and not really playing the game, you can definitely skip it

I’ve played it on PS4 so it might be cool to see the difference in graphics, might get it the next time it’s on sale just for that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

Finally a melee willpower generator that works with staves and catalysts. That was the missing piece for magic knight builds.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Imagining playing any game on controller and thinking I might as well be dead
imagine playing dmcv on mouse & keyboard lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

imagine playing dmcv on mouse & keyboard lol
Loved it. Only overshadowed by Sekiro coming out soon after.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what is the control scheme for a souls type game. swing left click block right click? I'm assuming spacebar is dodge? Q for estus?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:allears:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

what is the control scheme for a souls type game. swing left click block right click? I'm assuming spacebar is dodge? Q for estus?

wasd to move, e for interact, f for item, weak attack left click, strong attack right click, space to dodge, shift to block in my case

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in souls 2 and 3 it's left click right hand weak, right click right hand strong, thumb button 1 left hand weak (block with a shield), thumb button 2 left hand strong (parry with shield/proper weapon)

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
I hope Wolcen is good. Been playing Grim Dawn for three goddamn years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Disposable Scud posted:

I hope Wolcen is good. Been playing Grim Dawn for three goddamn years.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Cowcaster posted:

wasd to move, e for interact, f for item, weak attack left click, strong attack right click, space to dodge, shift to block in my case

Cowcaster posted:

in souls 2 and 3 it's left click right hand weak, right click right hand strong, thumb button 1 left hand weak (block with a shield), thumb button 2 left hand strong (parry with shield/proper weapon)

what in the world

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

same control scheme every other pc game uses for everything

edit: get this, the mousewheel scrolls through items/spells

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 1, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just tried out the share play stuff with a friend to play co-op CSD3 and it was a lot of fun and worked pretty much flawlessly. The new Chill mode makes it really easy to at least attempt to explain to someone how to play that game without any time constraints.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As this is the de facto PC games thread let's have a lmbo at blizzard

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664?s=20

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Asking this here because the main thread is dead and seems spoilerrific : I've been playing Return of the Obra Dinn for about two hours and I decided to stop because I feel like I must be missing something and ruining the experience for myself as a result. After the tutorial, I've really done nothing but catalog obvious causes of death and pick out the names of two people that were made really obvious by them being called out, plus two guesses based on an age-related assumption. I feel like I must be missing something I should be doing, but I don't know what. Sometimes I see context I could maybe read something into, but I have no idea what internal rules the storytelling operates on, so I don't know if things are pointing to someone being in charge of something or an underling. It doesn't feel like the game is meant to be played this way, so I'm sure I'm either overlooking something or taking the wrong approach, but I'm not sure what.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

K8.0 posted:

Asking this here because the main thread is dead and seems spoilerrific : I've been playing Return of the Obra Dinn for about two hours and I decided to stop because I feel like I must be missing something and ruining the experience for myself as a result. After the tutorial, I've really done nothing but catalog obvious causes of death and pick out the names of two people that were made really obvious by them being called out, plus two guesses based on an age-related assumption. I feel like I must be missing something I should be doing, but I don't know what. Sometimes I see context I could maybe read something into, but I have no idea what internal rules the storytelling operates on, so I don't know if things are pointing to someone being in charge of something or an underling. It doesn't feel like the game is meant to be played this way, so I'm sure I'm either overlooking something or taking the wrong approach, but I'm not sure what.

I think the main hump to get over for that game is that everything is fair game for being a clue. In most games, there's a sort of distinction between stuff that is like capital-R Relevant, and stuff that is just flavor. Like textures can just be whatever, what matters is who the character is, props are just spread around randomly, etc. Obra Dinn forces you to overcome those assumptions, because everything in the scenes is placed deliberately, because they're just unmoving dioramas.

You have to do things like look at characters' clothes, where they're standing in scenes, who they're talking to, how they're reacting. You have to grasp at every straw because some of these identities are really tricky to narrow down, so the sooner you start expanding your scope, the easier time you'll have.

Also, one of the biggest clues the game gives you is when a character becomes guessable. Don't feel like you have to guess everything right away, but you may end up needing to take some actual notes on physical paper to keep track of things.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

K8.0 posted:

The key thing is to take everything into account. Almost every bit of info is some sort of hint. The game also expects you to make strong educated guesses, and very rarely does it give you concrete info that 100% confirms the identity of a person. Also, keep in mind that once you have identified 3 people correctly, the game confirms that you have done so.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

K8.0 posted:

That's how you play it. The causes of death are usually the easiest part, and the names the hardest. Reading into context is what you do to narrow down the possible identities of the people whose names aren't directly called out. There's even generic labels in the book for you to use when you've narrowed down the general position of someone but aren't sure of their exact title.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

you have a magic book. the magic book has a whole page pencil sketch of everyone on board the ship. when you mouse over someone's face in this sketch, their face will be 'blurry' or 'sharp' aka pixellated or slightly less pixellated. when someone's face is unblurred, this is the game telling you that you should have enough information to make a reasonable guess as to their identity. check people's faces in every single scene, each little setpiece scene will highlight which people are present for that scene so you don't need to check every person in the sketch every time. the very most important information in the entire game is when someone's face becomes unblurred.

if in a scene someone's face is now unblurred, look very hard at what information is present in that scene because something there will definitely clue you in as to who that person is. even if you don't know their fate yet, pegging identity is more important as nearly everyone has a very clear what happened to that person moment, even if it's off in the background or only hinted at

there's a couple other things that are helpful:

the bigger the hat, the more important the man
in the sketch, people are generally near other people who relate to them in some way
important people have servants or assistants, like "big hat man #3" and "big hat man #3's steward"
people dressed the same tend to have the same jobs

also while the game tells you that direct confirmation of identity is rare, which is true, the game does consistently drop big hints about who is who. if you're aware of when those hints show up then you'll have time to decipher them. maybe 10 crewmen at best are a big mindfuck to figure out, the rest will have some kind of wink wink moment and you just want to make sure you don't miss when that moment happens

after a scene happens and the cool music plays then you get the curtain drop, go back to the scene and check things out in detail for clues. something as small as a gesture, where someone is standing, or what they are doing could be important! you generally don't need to poke around in corners looking for secret hidden clues, but a couple of times... you do

e: the pencil sketch is so powerful that, in the very first scene of the game, when one man shoots another man, you can determine the identity of two people who aren't even in the scene just based on information in the sketch alone

K8.0 posted:

plus two guesses based on an age-related assumption

if you are talking about the two lady passengers who are not taiwanese who are not the captain's wife then you are on the right track but the best way to confirm this is to look at their fingers

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 1, 2020

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Obra Dinn:

But there is some guesswork right? I had to rely on the book's confirmation for a few cases, like to distinguish the 4 Chinese topmen or 2 russian seamen . I just plugged in one name after another until the book told me I got it right. Did I cheat?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trickyblackjack posted:

Obra Dinn:

But there is some guesswork right? I had to rely on the book's confirmation for a few cases, like to distinguish the 4 Chinese topmen or 2 russian seamen . I just plugged in one name after another until the book told me I got it right. Did I cheat?

it's cheesing, but not cheating. i did the same thing. it's just intelligent exploitation of game systems really, i'm sure it was an intended use of the confirmation in threes rule baked into the game

i totally did not figure out the chinese topmen based on the information provided because i did not notice the hammock tags and footwear

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 1, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Thanks for the help, guys. The game feels really special to me so I want to make sure I get the best experience out of it possible.

luxury handset posted:

you have a magic book. the magic book has a whole page pencil sketch of everyone on board the ship. when you mouse over someone's face in this sketch, their face will be 'blurry' or 'sharp' aka pixellated or slightly less pixellated. when someone's face is unblurred, this is the game telling you that you should have enough information to make a reasonable guess as to their identity. check people's faces in every single scene, each little setpiece scene will highlight which people are present for that scene so you don't need to check every person in the sketch every time. the very most important information in the entire game is when someone's face becomes unblurred.

if in a scene someone's face is now unblurred, look very hard at what information is present in that scene because something there will definitely clue you in as to who that person is. even if you don't know their fate yet, pegging identity is more important as nearly everyone has a very clear what happened to that person moment, even if it's off in the background or only hinted at

Yeah I guess I'm probably just going to start over and assume it's possible to figure more out in each scene. I didn't realize that the highlighted version of the sketches existed until I was like 8 scenes in and already losing track of too many implied possible relationships between too many unidentified characters - when they're unidentified it's hard to remember if the guy you thought was doing this in one scene was the same guy doing that in another scene. I kinda wish I could just give them manual names to make keeping track of their developing identities easier.

ponzicar posted:

There's even generic labels in the book for you to use when you've narrowed down the general position of someone but aren't sure of their exact title.

Maybe this can help with that.

Begemot posted:

I think the main hump to get over for that game is that everything is fair game for being a clue. In most games, there's a sort of distinction between stuff that is like capital-R Relevant, and stuff that is just flavor. Like textures can just be whatever, what matters is who the character is, props are just spread around randomly, etc. Obra Dinn forces you to overcome those assumptions, because everything in the scenes is placed deliberately, because they're just unmoving dioramas.

You have to do things like look at characters' clothes, where they're standing in scenes, who they're talking to, how they're reacting. You have to grasp at every straw because some of these identities are really tricky to narrow down, so the sooner you start expanding your scope, the easier time you'll have.

Also, one of the biggest clues the game gives you is when a character becomes guessable. Don't feel like you have to guess everything right away, but you may end up needing to take some actual notes on physical paper to keep track of things.

This is a lot of what I'm struggling with. What I meant by rules of storytelling is that in a typical story, if Bob's close friend or underling is injured and dying, of course Bob will be the one who comes across him and holds him as he dies. I'm not sure if the game is following that sort of storytelling or if it's trying to be more realistic. I've repeatedly been tempted to read into WHO is present and where in a scene, or something they're holding, but then I think "maybe it's just his co-workers" or "well this guy looks like a random seaman and several people with authority could have given him the order him to do that".

luxury handset posted:

the bigger the hat, the more important the man
in the sketch, people are generally near other people who relate to them in some way
important people have servants or assistants, like "big hat man #3" and "big hat man #3's steward"
people dressed the same tend to have the same jobs

also while the game tells you that direct confirmation of identity is rare, which is true, the game does consistently drop big hints about who is who. if you're aware of when those hints show up then you'll have time to decipher them. maybe 10 crewmen at best are a big mindfuck to figure out, the rest will have some kind of wink wink moment and you just want to make sure you don't miss when that moment happens

after a scene happens and the cool music plays then you get the curtain drop, go back to the scene and check things out in detail for clues. something as small as a gesture, where someone is standing, or what they are doing could be important! you generally don't need to poke around in corners looking for secret hidden clues, but a couple of times... you do

I made those assumptions to start with but a few things led me away from reading much into dress or proximity in the sketches. Maybe I misidentified someone and started a cascade of bad assumptions, but I would swear the one I would have had to misidentify was one of the smack you in the face really obvious identities.

I did figure out the really obvious one guy's identity based on him doing the "listening" gesture but I didn't notice anything else like that which seemed like it could be used in any sort of conclusive way to identify who was speaking or being spoken to in most scenes.

The curtain drop is actually my only real complaint with the game. Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach, but it always seems to either take too long or interrupt me when I'm trying to piece together an understanding of things. When you get dragged out and breadcrumbed to another scene it's easy to have forgotten what you were thinking the first time, when it's most able to make impressions on you.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 1, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Trickyblackjack posted:

Yes. (I did the same)

IIRC, the clues you’re missing are shoes and a pipe, respectively.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
The one thing in Obra Dinn that I felt was poorly presented was the one guy who was apparently completely atomized by a cannon blast.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664?s=20

The worst part of all this is you can't even download the original Warcraft 3 any more. There's a link on the battle.net website that looks like it'd do that, but it actually downloads all 30GB of Reforged and you just can't play with the new graphics.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Peewi posted:

The worst part of all this is you can't even download the original Warcraft 3 any more. There's a link on the battle.net website that looks like it'd do that, but it actually downloads all 30GB of Reforged and you just can't play with the new graphics.

No...

:smith:

I still don't understand how they messed this all up.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

This isn't unusual. Many games even have flash-based menus and interfaces. The only lol here is someone using macs os in TYOOL 2020 for gaming.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/lC85v8A.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lambert posted:

This isn't unusual. Many games even have flash-based menus and interfaces. The only lol here is someone using macs os in TYOOL 2020 for gaming.

Nothing worthwhile has used Flash since Skyrim, meanwhile Chromium and Electron are a massive pile of poo poo that developers just can't help but roll in