Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ccs posted:

I also remember it being a lot of fun. Many of those shows dealt with adult topics. I remember I learned about the concept of credit card debt from a Disney cartoon episode.

It's also got Patrick Warburton as Buzz.

A surprisingly nuanced drug addiction ep too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

remember that disney cartoon episode where one of the characters finds one of the other main character's(a cop) handgun and accidentally loving shoots her and nearly kills her because he was playing around with it like a toy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3PMtbVzLo

man, gargoyles was good

I had forgotten that episode. Gargoyles did not mess around. It was occasionally fantastic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I literally signed up to D+ for Gargoyles. It's increased the quality of my commute 100%.

My daughter just discovered that Tangled series too, and it's really excellent. Cool art style and decent writing as well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

My daughter just discovered that Tangled series too, and it's really excellent. Cool art style and decent writing as well.

It really is flabbergasting how good it is. Who would have thought that a TV series sequel to a Disney princess movie would actually be great?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This list is absolutely deranged. You only need to read the first two words of it to know exactly what it's going to be like.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

pospysyl posted:

This list is absolutely deranged. You only need to read the first two words of it to know exactly what it's going to be like.

i don't know, i don't really agree 100% with it but i wouldn't go as far as "deranged"

especially since they're still pretty kind to the movies at the bottom and it seems like a spectrum from "movies the author has mild beefs with" to "perfect movies"

e: like the only weird thing i see is that tales from earthsea is pretty high up and nausicaa is kinda low, otherwise it's fine

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sorry, but saying Porco Rosso is the worst Ghibli film is indefensible, the product of a truly diseased mind.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

pospysyl posted:

This list is absolutely deranged.

This one is much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hn2k0UQpzU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Phylodox posted:

It really is flabbergasting how good it is. Who would have thought that a TV series sequel to a Disney princess movie would actually be great?

The folks at Mercury Filmworks really do some great animation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJakeneutron/status/1222094777098948609

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

pospysyl posted:

"In a"?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

I remember in a recent iteration of this thread someone posted screenshots of two villain dobermans from some movie, and it took several pages before someone finally noticed and asked "hey why do they have human shoulders?"

I didn't believe you for a minute, then i went looking for it.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 30, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Someone was getting weirdly turned on by their own creation.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
didn't we realize those were edits (with them being more dog like in the original film)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

pospysyl posted:

I'm sorry, but saying Porco Rosso is the worst Ghibli film is indefensible, the product of a truly diseased mind.

Pom Poko exists so... Yeah.

Porco Rosso is actually a pretty unique world and has a decent self contained story.

Arrietty should be lower than Porco just because Arrietty has been done like half a dozen times in various media.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

didn't we realize those were edits (with them being more dog like in the original film)
yeah like they were style-matched well enough that nobody noticed for a while until the cumulative "something isn't right here" finally clicked.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I feel like it's sacrilege for me to say it, but I've never really been a fan of Ponyo. It just didn't click with me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SolarFire2 posted:

I feel like it's sacrilege for me to say it, but I've never really been a fan of Ponyo. It just didn't click with me.

Same, but I did enjoy Tina Fey in it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

I don't love it as an adult but it really connected with my daughter. It's her favourite after Totoro so I figure it's got a fairly specific appeal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I saw Dolittle today, I think I forgot to add it to the OP.

It really wasn't that bad. It wasn't great by any means but it was fun for me. The story was all over the place and I hated RDJ trying to do a British accent but I guess it was more book accurate than the previous 6 Dolitte movies?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I honestly don't know anyone who has ever read Dr. Doolittle.

Give me some James Herriot. Let kids see what someone looks like elbows deep in a cow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have a Dr. Doolittle book I got as a kid and it was racist in a way even a stupid kid felt deeply uncomfortable with so I never read it again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ineffiable posted:

Pom Poko exists so... Yeah.

Porco Rosso is actually a pretty unique world and has a decent self contained story.

Arrietty should be lower than Porco just because Arrietty has been done like half a dozen times in various media.

I love Pom Poko :/

Arrietty is also high on my list but that might mostly be due to the music (probably my favourite of any Ghibli movie), the movie admittedly does need a third act where they’re actually out adventuring in the world.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I honestly don't know anyone who has ever read Dr. Doolittle.

Give me some James Herriot. Let kids see what someone looks like elbows deep in a cow.

Barudak posted:

I have a Dr. Doolittle book I got as a kid and it was racist in a way even a stupid kid felt deeply uncomfortable with so I never read it again.

I've never read the book, glad I didn't.

This wasn't racist just...painfully obvious when something was CGI...like when the kid was riding a giraffe or whatever.

Also the squirrel that was all about getting revenge because the kid accidentally shot him....but that went absolutely no where.

Also Dolittle straight up kidnaps a child to take him on adventures and no one says anything. Wait, I'm sorry. A parrot, giraffe, and a fox did without Dolittle's help or knowledge. Still kidnapping with zero repercussions.

Queen Victoria is the best character as soon as she wakes up from being dead at the end of the movie. Snarky as gently caress for no reason what-so-ever and has no time for anyone's poo poo despite literally being dead a few seconds prior. It was really refreshing to the "But this person is super nice and grateful and sweet to everyone" Nope. She sees the kid who just saved her life and goes "...and who are you? Why are you in my room?!"

Despite the plot threads that went no where, some of the characters were entertaining so eh. John Cena needs to act in all the things because he is a wonderful voice actor, honestly. He made Ferdinand even better for me.

Still surprised that there are SIX other Dolittle films. I'm not sure how that happened but it did.

EDIT: I also loved Pom Poko. It made me cry. :v:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

remember that disney cartoon episode where one of the characters finds one of the other main character's(a cop) handgun and accidentally loving shoots her and nearly kills her because he was playing around with it like a toy

Remember the episode of tiny tunes where buster and porky drink a beer then die in a drunk driving accident?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was so ready to love Weathering With You, even despite finding the main character insufferable, but I really didn't care much for the third act. It's sweet overall but not as good as Your Name.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Still surprised that there are SIX other Dolittle films. I'm not sure how that happened but it did.

Yeah, first there's the 1967 version, then the 1998 Eddie Murphy version, then its 2001 sequel, then three more Eddie-Murphy-less direct-to-video sequels.

The first Eddie Murphy one was decently entertaining. The second one was a step down, but still fairly watchable. The one after that was a cavalcade of sports movie cliches and lowest-common-denominator Disney-channel-esque drivel.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God, I've seen the reveal clip for Jigen in the Lupin movie, and god drat the internet is suddenly thirsty for the guy.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i would like an edgy dolittle wherein the doctor incites the animals to kill

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

hallelujah posted:

i would like an edgy dolittle wherein the doctor incites the animals to kill

Edit: keep title, but change premise

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 1, 2020

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
It's so odd to me that I haven't seen The Beastmaster in decades when it used to show all the time on various channels when I was a kid.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

It's so odd to me that I haven't seen The Beastmaster in decades when it used to show all the time on various channels when I was a kid.
I often find myself referring to certain movies was "Channel 11 movies." A phrase that I think makes sense if you grew up with WPIX.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ccs posted:

Over the winter break I rewatched my two favorite animation documentaries, "Persistence of Vision", about Richard William's 30 year attempt to make a feature animated film in London , and "Joy In Motion", a documentary about Miyazaki's mentor Yasuo Otsuka, his career, and the history of the development of animation in Japan. Thought I'd do an effort post about those two films while they're still fresh in my mind.

Persistence of Vision is available to rent and view online for a modest fee, so I won't go as much into that. Joy In Motion, however, was only available to buy through the Ghibli museum website and is region locked to Japan, so I'll post more screenshots from it since it's an excellent documentary most people will never get to see.

Here's where you can rent Persistence of Vision: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/persistenceofvision

Examples of Otsuka's animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXXvjJ7BkOY

Examples of Williams animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QfGxzvZA4

The similarity between both men, Williams and Otsuka, is that they really are Animation Directors, and not Directors. Both were obsessed with the technique of animation and its expressive capability, but neither really have the talent for directing a feature film or crafting the story. Luckily Otsuka realized that early in his career and let his talent be guided by Miyazaki and Isao Takahata (who needed someone like Otsuka because he himself couldn't draw.) Williams had no one around who would make use of his animation skills in a feature role (until Roger Rabbit, late in his career) so he tried to do it on his own, combining his meticulous eye for detail and disdain for budgets and schedules on an "opus" of a project.

You can tell pretty early on in the documentary that Williams was never that concerned with narrative. He talks about himself as a craftsman who has finally "mastered" animation, and a theatrical film will be his "masterpiece", in the style of the old painters, to prove to the world that he has mastered this medium. The feature also served as a creative outlet. He ran a very successful studio doing commercials and opening titles which generated acclaim and awards. That work was profitable (at one point he says he'd sunk 3 million of the profits from commercials into The Thief and the Cobbler) but animators who worked with Williams say he felt money was out to "destroy his life."

Because of the long production time, the motivations for the film and the industry landscape around it shifted over the decades. Williams initially wanted to to "save" golden age animation, by bringing superstar Hollywood animators over to London to train his crew. Animation in the 70s and early 80s was a pretty scarce, and the work that existed was tv productions whose budgets paled in comparison with what Disney used to work with (and even the Disney budgets during those years were more limited.) By the time Williams actually found funding from Warner Brothers, the animation biz was healthy again. And adding insult to injury, Katzenberg employed one of his famous strategies of beating a competitor to market by releasing Aladdin before William's film was due to come out. (Katzenberg would later pull this stunt with the film "The Wild" made in Toronto, by touring the facility that was making it and then producing and releasing Madagascar a year before The Wild was set to hit cinemas.) But William's really doomed his own film by not sticking to the agreed upon budget or schedule and not having completed a storyboard before animation production commenced.
Like Otsuka, Williams spent his dotage teaching animation, and much of his career can be summarized as a passing on of techniques that would later shape the look of films everyone remembers.

I'm sure it's been discussed in previous incarnations of this thread, but the fan-made cut of Thief and the Cobbler is definitely worth seeking out, just for the glimpses of Williams' artistic genius along with the disappointment that he was unable to finish his magnum opus. Persistence of Vision is pretty much required viewing to accompany the film to fully grasp what went into making the Thief and the Cobbler, and what went completely wrong.

RIP Richard Williams :(

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I can't even think about the fan-made cut of Thief and the Cobbler without getting intense Og Oggilby flashbacks

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Now that we're gettin' close to the Olympics I feel like it's time to post this in case someone hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr5ZWYRaAyw

2008 Chinese olympics intro thing by Jamie Hewlett.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
even by Olympics animation openers it kinda gets slayed by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HmaWsj3hNw

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ballz posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed in previous incarnations of this thread, but the fan-made cut of Thief and the Cobbler is definitely worth seeking out, just for the glimpses of Williams' artistic genius along with the disappointment that he was unable to finish his magnum opus. Persistence of Vision is pretty much required viewing to accompany the film to fully grasp what went into making the Thief and the Cobbler, and what went completely wrong.

RIP Richard Williams :(

Yup! That documentary was made by the filmmaker responsible for the “Recobbled Cut”. It’s watchable but not a good film, because Willians was just interested in incredible sequences. Commercials and short films were his perfect medium, it’s too bad he was so hell bent on wanting to make a feature.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I tried watching the recobbled cut, and just some of those spectacular set pieces actually made me nauseous it's loving weird that this is the only movie I've seen that I got motion sick from.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My local AMC is showing the Oscar-nominated short animated films in one go, along with the Commended ones that didn’t quite make it.

Decent selection, and I think I enjoyed Mémorable the most, with Hair Love a close second. Kitbull was insanely cute however, and may cinch it.

The just bubbling under ones included Hors Piste from France, which was the absolute highlight of the whole programme for me, and had the whole cinema laughing. Probably due to the rest of the films having big emotional stories to tell, it was actually a good release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13dCkY6c4c

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

Yup! That documentary was made by the filmmaker responsible for the “Recobbled Cut”. It’s watchable but not a good film, because Willians was just interested in incredible sequences. Commercials and short films were his perfect medium, it’s too bad he was so hell bent on wanting to make a feature.

Yeah, its so strange that the thief subplot is so isolated from the rest of the film. Granted, I've only watched the re-cobbled version but it seems like the character could be completely cut from the film aside from his role in starting off the events of the movie. I know they are mainly there so Williams can mess around and have some cool animation sequences, but I feel like they could've been integrated better into the main plot.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

My local AMC is showing the Oscar-nominated short animated films in one go, along with the Commended ones that didn’t quite make it.

Decent selection, and I think I enjoyed Mémorable the most, with Hair Love a close second. Kitbull was insanely cute however, and may cinch it.

The just bubbling under ones included Hors Piste from France, which was the absolute highlight of the whole programme for me, and had the whole cinema laughing. Probably due to the rest of the films having big emotional stories to tell, it was actually a good release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13dCkY6c4c

Kitbull deserves to win.