Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I'm not sure what happened in the top half of the last page but now that I'm caught up I guess I might as well post or something? I'm bi and probably a cis girl but honestly gender confuses and tires me. I've never heard of Akanesasu Shoujo but apparently that needs to change.

Also would it be dumb to ask why nobody seems to have mentioned Sarazanmai yet or (it's not ABOUT being queer, but drat if it didn't resonate with me and a bunch of my friends)

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I've been following this thread for a while. Lesbian-leaning pan trans girl here. Apparently I should watch the show in the thread title. Anyways Magical Trans is a real hoot in addition to being cute.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Endorph posted:

it can be fun tho, i got to meet an older bi lady with a very complicated take on sailor moon.

What was her take?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm NB and I like every gender

Sarazanmai owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What was her take?

that its kind of sexist and conservative even if she can respect aspects of it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

that's a good take

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archer666 posted:

Also speaking of Love Stage. There's going to be a live action movie of it. Instead of casting Izumi as a girl or making his actor super girly looking, it's just a regular guy. (also they got Daigo to play the anime version of himself)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-6xJsZ-YI

Daigo is the brother of one of the mangaka of Love Stage, fun fact.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

yeah i remember reading an interview quote from takeuchi about uranus and neptune that was something like "i believe that a masculine and feminine person could be attracted to each other regardless of gender" and just going "uh okay you're halfway there i guess???"

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i watched akanesasu shoujo

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i watched akanesasu shoujo

what did you think

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

esselfortium posted:

what did you think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

yeah i remember reading an interview quote from takeuchi about uranus and neptune that was something like "i believe that a masculine and feminine person could be attracted to each other regardless of gender" and just going "uh okay you're halfway there i guess???"

like 90% of the conflicts in the series are about usagi having to stay with the 'right man' also

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah but in my version they're all gay as poo poo

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Arianya posted:

Boy this thread went places when page 5 hit

Anyway read Magical Trans/MagiTora

I still don't know how I feel about that.

Did the MC ever actually indicates he (she?) is actually interested in staying female or just liked dressing up in fetish outfits as a woman?

Archer666 posted:

That's my take too. When I was with some older Japanese guys at a bar and casually mentioned I was gay, they just kept asking me questions about dick sizes in my country vs Japan, when did I realize it etc. I think Japanese people are just really curious about foreigners, especially ones that aren't just endlessly going on about anime.

When I was in Japan people kept asking me if I'd heard about Ranma which was kind of amusing.

I also found that people were less on edge about the 'how' things were asked, which I found kind of relaxing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 31, 2020

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I have to admit the most gay anime i've seen is Noir. Which isn't very.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah but in my version they're all gay as poo poo
the manga especially really has this weird tension between wanting to be gay and having everyone be straight as hell, which feels entirely unintentional. remember that panel where rei and minako are smoking cigarettes on the roof.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stalin-Chan posted:

I have to admit the most gay anime i've seen is Noir. Which isn't very.

its not even the gayest of the bee train girls with guns trilogy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the mc in magical trans starts exclusively going to bed as a girl which they rationalize away with "i sleep better"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Magical Trans is caught in a push and pull of wanting to play it all off as a joke and having MC melt into a puddle of ooze when prevented from going girlmode.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Magical Trans is caught in a push and pull of wanting to play it all off as a joke and having MC melt into a puddle of ooze when prevented from going girlmode.

I feel like the former kinda paints the latter in a negative light.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just wanted to address two things real fast because I was kind of attacked on this:

Everything Burrito posted:

FYI "bara" is also an outdated and somewhat offensive term.

Barazoku magazine was a long running but not financially successful magazine, that reached the mainstream consciousness to the point where heteros began using 'bara' (rose) as a slur, the same way that English-speaking homophobes used 'queer' but has fallen out of use. Western fans adopted the term as a genre long after it was antiquated.

Intent matters, and in my mind cultural context does, too. That was why I rambled about the term BL; I certainly wasn't disparaging anyone who likes BL manga/novels/etc, I suggested that the name (and particularly the English words the acronym stands for) is troublesome in an American cultural context. Western fandom's appropriation of 'yaoi' as a substitute for 'boys love' may not be done to cause offense, but a concession to cultural contexts dealing with non-otaku/normies/whatever we're going to call them. The sort of stories that was 'yaoi' was originally used for in Japan are basically extinct now, anyhow.

I don't mind a healthy dialogue about this stuff, but I'm gay and have faced discrimination (thankfully not assault) for it, so your reinterpretation of my remarks as though I said that I believe BL fans are dangerous (I didn't, I don't, and they aren't) made me very upset.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyone who immediately goes to 'oh, pedophilia!?' if you say 'bl' was never going to take it seriously or not think you're a secret pedophile anyway. like i can understand where you're coming from but it feels like you're prioritizing appearances to hypothetical straight people over the comfort of real gay people, you feel me.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 31, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah that's fair. I wasn't trying to tone police anyone, I was working out internal thoughts I've had and was using the thread as a sort of sounding board to find out how off the path I had strayed. The old Tumblrs that I used to know of about these things are dead after Tumblr went full Disney, and asking That Other Site is a heap of trouble.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 31, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I get you. Sorry if it felt like I was jumping on you, but obviously like, you aren't the only person in this thread woth trauma relating to being accused of awful poo poo due to your sexuality, so when you started throwing that around people got understandably jumpy, even if you didnt mean to accuse anyone here of anything. Again, totally get where you're coming from but the like, approach felt really off to me.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I'm... not straight

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tumblr went off the deep end when it got bought by yahoo, which just reinforces the other core belief of this thread: death to capitalism

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

I feel like the former kinda paints the latter in a negative light.

Yeah that's where I keep coming up short with it. It's cute, and a lot of things about it are Very Real, but ultimately Minami's wants are pretty much always treated as a joke so

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Cuntellectual posted:

I still don't know how I feel about that.

Did the MC ever actually indicates he (she?) is actually interested in staying female or just liked dressing up in fetish outfits as a woman?

The messaging seems to imply in magical trans that transforming into a girl is not a fetish thing for mc. Have you actually read it?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Not all trans manga needs to be angsty and depressing. Sometimes it's ok for a manga to just be about how awesome being a girl is.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I like Yuureitou because yes it's about dark gothic secrets and melodrama and heart wrenching flashbacks from our trans hero but also it has sick action sequences of affirming ones gender while fighting robots in a castle that is on fire

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

ZiegeDame posted:

Not all trans manga needs to be angsty and depressing. Sometimes it's ok for a manga to just be about how awesome being a girl is.

Yeah the manga seems to mostly be about exploring gender euphoria and feeling good about yourself and how its okay to feel suddenly good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Yeah but I mean, "hey he wants to be a girl" is also constantly presented as a punch line so I sort of suspect that isn't what they were going for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it doesnt really feel like the joke is 'haha they want to be a girl' it feels like you're meant to find how happy they get about it goofy in an endearing way. like a cooking manga where everyone gets stupidly happy when they eat good food, you aren't meant to think the idea of wanting to eat good food is mockable. you get me?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yeah I can see why you would be skeptical about the premise but it definitely feels surprisingly positive about the whole thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean in those examples the joke is getting orgasmically happy over eating something.

If you like it, whatever. That's fine. I thought the mc feeling himself up, getting excited over looking at his naked reflection, and peeking at his own panties was kind of weird.

I think it's fine but I stopped reading it like 5 or 10 chapters in.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I just want a trans manga that reflects the reality of being trans, so it should mostly just be shitposting on twitter and fundraising enough money to move across the country to live with your girlfriend.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

I just want a trans manga that reflects the reality of being trans, so it should mostly just be shitposting on twitter and fundraising enough money to move across the country to live with your girlfriend.

I think there was that one autobiographical one, though I might be muddling it with something else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bride was a boy, yeah, though its mostly about the author's marriage. both her parents and her husband's parents are supportive so it isn't exactly an acerbic takedown of a transphobic society but it gets into a lot of the legal issues in japan, so it's worth a read if you want more info on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only problem with magical trans is it reminds me of ero who pulled out the holy sword and how much i want more hero who pulled out the holy sword

Stalin-Chan posted:

not exactly what you are asking for but read Double House anyway