Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had to think of something else when I remembered that Battlefleet Gothic is on a 2D plane.

Flotilla is a turn-based 3D strategy game, for people who like me, just can't do RTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There was a mod for homeworld called Star Wars: Warlords that I think jumped over to Sins of a Solar Empire (Becoming Sins of a Galactic Empire) when that came out. The homeworld version was a bit buggy and didn't handle large numbers of units, and SOSE being a true 4x RTS game made it a bit more interesting - but I think I recall the lead modder being a bit of an arrogant prick, and I'm not sure it ever really reached a state where it was playable beyond a fun little tech demo.

Sins of a Solar Empire and Stellaris are probably worth checking out though, although Homeworld is more focused on pure fleet ops.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there's a Battlestar Galactica strategy game that's turn-based but each turn plays out in real-time. It's 3d but, of course, is only for BSG. Still pretty fun though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i wish there was a game that did vaguely-realistic physics space combat but was also not a huge pain in the rear end ui wise

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

StashAugustine posted:

i wish there was a game that did vaguely-realistic physics space combat but was also not a huge pain in the rear end ui wise

Children of a de... oh... yeah no then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

By definition, realism is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Like I don't get what that means, if you want actual realism go play Kerbal Space Program :jeb:. If you just want something like the ability to maintain momentum while swiveling around to fire, but otherwise using technology that works on principles that don't yet make sense by any current scientific understanding, play Freespace.

The circumstances that would make space combat happen usually rely on some kind of fantastical sci-fi contrivance, so all that makes sense to me is that there's some kind of specific tone or mechanic that you're yearning for but unable to really articulate.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Jedi Knight 2 is the most fun i've ever had playing a star wars game. Whoever came up with the idea of combining the Jedi Speed option with slow motion kill shots so that you could slay an entire room full of stormtroopers in slo-mo was a loving mad genius

edit: like you could slice the first one, and by the time you sliced the twelfth one the first would not have even dropped dead yet

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 30, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hell yeah tie fighter thread

really the only things TIE Fighter needed was a way to do some more fancy flying (but not go full sim with it) and the later missions get too easy because the TIE defender is ridiculous. and also the missile boat is dumb and boring

The difficulty in those missions comes from doing the secondary and bonus objectives. You have to be really quick, accurate, efficient, and aware of what's going on to do them.

Dreylad posted:

there's a Battlestar Galactica strategy game that's turn-based but each turn plays out in real-time. It's 3d but, of course, is only for BSG. Still pretty fun though.

There's a Battlestar Galactica game from the PS2 era that's basically a Colony Wars game with a BSG coat of paint. It's a bit weird because it's a prequel to the 2004 series but it was released after mini series dropped but before the series proper started.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

As a kid I felt so accomplished when I figured out that you could fly inside the hangars of enemy ships. They have no guns inside their hangar, and you can do full damage to it from in there. So I flew in, shot it down to a couple of percent, then got out and plinked it a little from a distance as a finisher. It took loving forever, but the AI had no answer so I racked up a bunch of cheap big ship kills.

The major drawback is that when the ship turns it rolls a bit and you have to be loving careful and on the ball to not get owned by collision damage. 100% doable though. 1 TIE Fighter vs an SSD took about an hour and some luck to not get hit on the way out.

I had too much spare time.

Complications fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 30, 2020

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Back when I was a kid with far too much time on my hands, I did an X-Wing playthough where I killed every imperial capital ship that sticks around for long enough. Even that drat A-Wing recon mission where you get no missiles. Each mission took at least an hour, and if you hosed up and died half way through plinking an ISD that sure was a thing.

I must have logged at least a thousand hours in that game, with my trusty SideWinder 3D Pro and 486 DX2/66. I think I had to boot from a floppy because if I used my windows boot partition, X-Wing would run out of conventional memory trying to boot. I think it was able to use 4MB of RAM emmulating Expanded Memory via EMM386, but it still needed something like 450MB of conventional memory to start.

Times were tough before protected mode, kids.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SlothfulCobra posted:

By definition, realism is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Like I don't get what that means, if you want actual realism go play Kerbal Space Program :jeb:. If you just want something like the ability to maintain momentum while swiveling around to fire, but otherwise using technology that works on principles that don't yet make sense by any current scientific understanding, play Freespace.

The circumstances that would make space combat happen usually rely on some kind of fantastical sci-fi contrivance, so all that makes sense to me is that there's some kind of specific tone or mechanic that you're yearning for but unable to really articulate.

I guess the mechanic would be "not just WWII/Napoleonics but in space". Combat at long range with missiles and railguns with ships moving in 3D to avoid fire. Now that I'm saying this out loud it actually sounds like modern/cold war navies But In Space.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Don Dongington posted:

Back when I was a kid with far too much time on my hands, I did an X-Wing playthough where I killed every imperial capital ship that sticks around for long enough. Even that drat A-Wing recon mission where you get no missiles. Each mission took at least an hour, and if you hosed up and died half way through plinking an ISD that sure was a thing.

I must have logged at least a thousand hours in that game, with my trusty SideWinder 3D Pro and 486 DX2/66. I think I had to boot from a floppy because if I used my windows boot partition, X-Wing would run out of conventional memory trying to boot. I think it was able to use 4MB of RAM emmulating Expanded Memory via EMM386, but it still needed something like 450MB of conventional memory to start.

Times were tough before protected mode, kids.

Man, I remember having a container full of boot disks for various games for exactly that reason on my old 286 and 386s. I skipped the 486 completely and got a Pentium 150 after my Amiga finally started dying in '96.

There was a sweet-spot behind the bridge area of most ISDs where you could just park-n-plink until it died, where you were out of weapon arc and just above the engine wash. I took down so many of those with a Y-Wing.

And yeah the TIE Defender is stupid and absolutely fugly.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Does it work on modern stuff without a flight stick

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TremorX posted:

and absolutely fugly.
Shut the gently caress up

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013
There is work on a new Star Wars conversion mod for the latest X game, X4 foundations.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-mod-x4

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TremorX posted:

And yeah the TIE Defender is ... absolutely fugly.

what the gently caress

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

what the gently caress

He's not wrong. Panels of two, the TIE is true. Panels of three, leave it be.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There are mods for XwA that put back in X-Wing and TIE missions.
These become insanely difficult as the AI is better equipped to shoot down torpedoes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Presto posted:

Panels of two, the TIE is true. Panels of three, leave it be.

It's nice to have a mnemonic bc i always forget

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Presto posted:

He's not wrong. Panels of two, the TIE is true. Panels of three, leave it be.

:hmmyes:

The three panel layout is the dumbest thing about the Defender.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

BogDew posted:

There are mods for XwA that put back in X-Wing and TIE missions.
These become insanely difficult as the AI is better equipped to shoot down torpedoes.

What's your take on the gunboat

or missile boat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Tie Defender is like the second best looking TIE next to the Interceptor.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

The Tie Defender is like the second best looking TIE next to the Interceptor.

Agreed

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ld8Bk

Its a sexy design.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where do you put the ladder to climb in?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Where do you put the ladder to climb in?

at the door, DUH

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

U know the cool af launch sequence where there's a red siren light and the classic star wars siren sound and your ship launches

For like the 15 years I've been biking to get around, when it's winter and dark when I leave in the morning, and i turn on my red blinky light as i carry my bike out of a dark room and it's bright so the whole room strobes red, i have always thought of that cool TIE fighter launch sequence at those moments and I'll sometimes make the siren noise with my mouth as i prepare for launch

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
TIE Fighter is the best Star Wars video game of all time.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I always found the most offensive powerhouse fighter named as Tie-Defender tbh.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

HootTheOwl posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Nebalebadingdong posted:

what the gently caress

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Galewolf posted:

I always found the most offensive powerhouse fighter named as Tie-Defender tbh.

Well, the best Defense...

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I just liked you could dump all the useless tractor beam power into your engines and run circles around a-wings with double shields

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Power shunting was the most abuseable mechanic in those games. I'm surprised they didn't massively overhaul it by the time X-Wing Alliance came out.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

It was funny playing as a B-Wing with a beam weapon and turning everything to max recharge. Capital ships could outrun you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
An extremely formative game in my youth, one of my absolute favorites

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
uhh
hehe
also: CORT: Cinnamon

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I just finished reading one of the new novels, Alphabet Squadron and this would make a fantastic DLC campaign. It's got a lot of starfighter action (Alphabet Squadron has one each A-, B-, U-, X-, and Y-wing) and I swear the author has played a LOT of the X-wing series because I visualize the action with the game UI overlaid.

Good book too, check it out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh okay that's oddly compelling.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i wish they'd make a new tie fighter and they should make the special effects look like the original new hope. make it look like it was done with old school compositing techniques, use the sickly green and yellow fire, make the space ships fly to pieces like they're obviously miniatures on a set

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd kill for a new Tie Fighter. I think I heard it's difficult to get into the space sim market and Disney would have to sign off on it which would never happen but drat that'd be so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Indeed TF is the best SW game ever. The TIE Interceptor best ship.