Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Yaws posted:

I've started to listen to the podcasts of some of these stand ups and holy poo poo are they stupid and awful when not on stage. Just endlessly whining about cancel culture and snowflake millennials. It's endless. They won't shut up about it.

You might like The Comedian's Comedian. From the few episodes I've listened to, the host is pretty, uh, not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Did Ari Shaffir finally destroy his career?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Hopefully.

He's a prick. Like, even fans of all of the comedians who, for some bizarre reason, are still friends with him think he's a prick. And his 'comedy' is painfully unfunny. I've been wondering why the gently caress would anyone remain his 'friend' for years now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Harminoff posted:

What did he do now? I saw he had Milo on his podcast to talk about ‘the subtle art of trolling’ recently.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

red19fire posted:

What did he do now? I saw he had Milo on his podcast to talk about ‘the subtle art of trolling’ recently.

Tweeted (paraphrasing) "Kobe lived 23 years too long, he's a piece of poo poo rapist, lol forgot to fill up the gas on his helecopter"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

red19fire posted:

Ari posted:

Kobe Bryant died 23 years too late today. He got away with rape because all the Hollywood liberals who attack comedy enjoy rooting for the Lakers more than they dislike rape. Big ups to the hero who forgot to gas up his chopper. I hate the Lakers. What a great day.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://jewishjournal.com/culture/hollywood-schmooze/309984/talent-agency-drops-ari-shaffir-in-light-of-kobe-bryant-remarks/

Godfrey is pissed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQc3YwpPWNs

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Man I enjoyed watching Kobe play basketball but Godfrey making him out to be some kind of saint who's beyond criticism is dumb as gently caress. I mean I think the original comment was ghoulish and disrespectful to the other people who died, but focusing on how out of bounds it is to disrespect Kobe misses the point imo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

His behavior in the past has been a cause for concern, as he garnered criticism for punching Bobby Lee in the face, and for drugging his good friend Bert Kreischer.

Good god man. I mean I agree celebrity worship is awful and Kobe essentially skated on the rape charges due to his wealth but pump the brakes. You’d think a guy constantly whining about cancel culture might think twice about posting wild statements. But he’s one of the Comedians Are Modern Philosophers guys.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Man I enjoyed watching Kobe play basketball but Godfrey making him out to be some kind of saint who's beyond criticism is dumb as gently caress. I mean I think the original comment was ghoulish and disrespectful to the other people who died, but focusing on how out of bounds it is to disrespect Kobe misses the point imo.

Well, I'm not American but it kinda seems it's, uh, a black American thing.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

red19fire posted:

Comedians Are Modern Philosophers

I gotta admit im not familiar with this concept at all, but the second i read it all i could think of was a majestic marble statue of Mitch Hedberg with a carving on the plinth, "Ducks eat for free at subway"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

oh dope posted:

I gotta admit im not familiar with this concept at all, but the second i read it all i could think of was a majestic marble statue of Mitch Hedberg with a carving on the plinth, "Ducks eat for free at subway"

The local grocery store chain here actually has Mitch Hedberg quotes above the checkouts.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Harminoff posted:

The local grocery store chain here actually has Mitch Hedberg quotes above the checkouts.

Sounds like a real cool store

Wish Mitch was still around

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Harminoff posted:

Lucky's Market?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

DC Murderverse posted:

Lucky's Market?

Festival Foods.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I occasionally sad-listen to Ari Shaffirs podcast. the way he talks about his deeds has this undercurrent of knowing he's an absolute rear end in a top hat but always is straining to justify himself. I think living like you are 20 when you are 45 may have something to do with it. He not only has never grown up (fine) but hasnt grown out of being a middle school lovely boy who lives in a bubble of no consequences. egh.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Maybe he's just trying to get Netflix to give him a special.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Harminoff posted:

Festival Foods.

Man, I could really use a standup show with just jokes like this right now. I guess nobody does that anymore?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mrfart posted:

Man, I could really use a standup show with just jokes like this right now. I guess nobody does that anymore?

Demetri Martin is pretty similar. Not as good, but similar.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I think Steven Wright comes pretty close.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Brian Regan unless he's turned poo poo heel and I missed it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Brian Regan unless he's turned poo poo heel and I missed it.

Oh I've got bad news then, it's just turned out Brian Regan is a holocaust denier, republican and also went five times on the Epstein plane. :jerkbag:

Why do you have to impart moral authority on standups every time you post? Is that really the only way you think about comedians because dude, I've got bad news about how Mitch Hedberg lived if you're you're trying to compare Regan to Hedberg.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Maybe he's just trying to get Netflix to give him a special.

You mean a third one?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I was thinking about a just the jokes comic. Nice to see you haven't stopped being the worst oddzey

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I was thinking about a just the jokes comic. Nice to see you haven't stopped being the worst oddzey

You could just say Regan is a good comic instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Odddzy posted:

You could just say Regan is a good comic instead.

...he did?

What are you even mad about you weirdo

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sexpig by night posted:

...he did?

What are you even mad about you weirdo

This part :

Ches Neckbeard posted:

unless he's turned poo poo heel and I missed it.

What kind of sly accusation poo poo is that.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

oddzy, please continue to be mad about this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

narrator: oddzy did not miss that comment

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Posting good standups itt*

*Unless they do something I don't agree with.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
About a third of Neal Brennan's Three Mics is like this; the other third is 'standard stand-up' and the other third is serious stuff about depression and things that have happened in his life. It's all segmented out so easier to see which mode he's in.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ugly John posted:

About a third of Neal Brennan's Three Mics is like this; the other third is 'standard stand-up' and the other third is serious stuff about depression and things that have happened in his life. It's all segmented out so easier to see which mode he's in.

Before we watch him, can you confirm he's not a shitheel? I don't care about his standup, I just want to make sure he's a nice person first.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Odddzy posted:

Before we watch him, can you confirm he's not a shitheel? I don't care about his standup, I just want to make sure he's a nice person first.

whats your deal man

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Riptor posted:

whats your deal man

What? I just want to make sure this guy is on the up and up before I watch his set.

Haven't you paid attention to the conversation?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Odddzy posted:

I'm sorry, I don't speak Bizarre Overreaction.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

Mulaney is former drug addict.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Exactly. If you require your standups to also be good people, you're better off not looking too deep into their past because it's pretty hosed up in pretty much all instances.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Megazver posted:

Mulaney is former drug addict.

drat what an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Man I love when oddzy derails a thread