Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I seriously don't understand how people get so hung up on the viability of the plan in TLJ when we've had to accept the plan to break Han Solo out of Jabba's palace for 30 years. No one spent years angrily posting about how badly Luke planned that complete mess of an operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Lurdiak posted:

I seriously don't understand how people get so hung up on the viability of the plan in TLJ when we've had to accept the plan to break Han Solo out of Jabba's palace for 30 years. No one spent years angrily posting about how badly Luke planned that complete mess of an operation.

There's nothing to argue though, that entire movie is stupid.

That's right ROTJ is the worst of the entire saga, I said it, fight me

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The Palpatine Plan:

1) Become Ruler of Galaxy
2) Rule Galaxy
3) Destroy Galaxy
4) Live forever amongst the ruins as a woman

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
OK, so: Lando, you go to the palace and get hired as a guard, but don't rescue Han. Then I'll send the droids as a gift for Jabba. Leia, you then come in pretending to be a bounty hunter who's captured Chewie. Then you can rescue Han and Chewie. If that doesn't work then I'll come in and threaten Jabba until he takes us all out into the desert to be killed, and then I can rescue Han and Leia and Chewie and the droids and Lando. Any questions?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You forgot the part where Luke pointlessly hid his lightsaber inside R2-D2 even though no one searched him when he came in.

Also once they drive away from Jabba's exploding sand barge, presumably killing dozens of servants, it immediately cuts to a giant fleet of rebel ships. If Han Solo was that goddamn important they coulda just flown one of those massive warships to Tattooine and been like "Give us Han Solo or we'll blow your stupid castle up".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TremorX posted:

There's nothing to argue though, that entire movie is stupid.

That's right ROTJ is the worst of the entire saga, I said it, fight me

Bold claim when the entire PT exists.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I'm afraid to read the prequel thread why are there 3000 unread posts in it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Up Circle posted:

good news! you do not have to read those posts in order to post there. it's not like anyone else who posts there does anyway.

especially me

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Up Circle posted:

It's an in-depth explanation of where the prequels succeed and where they fail.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Up Circle posted:

The important thing about the PT thread isn't why there are 3000 unread posts in it, but the friends we made along the way.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
come and post with us in prequeldome! they're all bad posts but it's a good time

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

come and post with us in prequeldome! they're all bad posts but it's a good time

cease to hope you're a good poster and i've considered you one since Mechwarrior Online

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

CainFortea posted:

Bold claim when the entire PT exists.

They are of equal quality

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TremorX posted:

They are of equal quality

You wound me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Back to the prequeldome with ye

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roth posted:

Back to the prequeldome with ye

That's my secret Cap'n. I never left.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The prequels were ahead of their time! The people who disparage us for liking them are fools!

Anyway back on topic, what's up with these idiots who think the sequels are good? What a bunch of morons.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ariong posted:

The prequels were ahead of their time! The people who disparage us for liking them are fools!

Anyway back on topic, what's up with these idiots who think the sequels are good? What a bunch of morons.

Ahead of their time in being terrible!

I don't think I've seen TFA mentioned anywhere in this forum besides the one thread where they're talking about lightsaber usage, which really says a lot about it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gulping Again posted:

cease to hope you're a good poster and i've considered you one since Mechwarrior Online

what can i say, i'm a sucker for tragic revivals of 80s nerd poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If JJ had any balls he would’ve blown up Coruscant in TFA, none of this “oh they blew up the galactic capital BUT DONT WORRY it’s a new planet that you haven’t heard of before” bullshit

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If JJ had any balls he would’ve blown up Coruscant in TFA, none of this “oh they blew up the galactic capital BUT DONT WORRY it’s a new planet that you haven’t heard of before” bullshit

making it another metropolitan planet felt like a studio mandate, honestly.

though if they'd all run outside to point up at the sky and say "they blew up coruscant! we immediately see that, many light years away! Better state exactly who did it, and what it means, out loud!!!" would it have been any better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They arent even willing to say the word "Tattooine" in the sequels and you think JJ would find the balls to blow up coruscant?

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

what can i say, i'm a sucker for tragic revivals of 80s nerd poo poo

I honestly don't think the sequel trilogy went quite as bad as MWO

I mean they didn't try to sell a five hundred dollar gold-plated x-wing or tie fighter

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gulping Again posted:

I mean they didn't try to sell a five hundred dollar gold-plated x-wing or tie fighter

you have not even begun to plumb the depths of star wars collector poo poo, i see

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 1, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gulping Again posted:

That's because they were $600.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

2house2fly posted:

OK, so: Lando, you go to the palace and get hired as a guard, but don't rescue Han. Then I'll send the droids as a gift for Jabba. Leia, you then come in pretending to be a bounty hunter who's captured Chewie. Then you can rescue Han and Chewie. If that doesn't work then I'll come in and threaten Jabba until he takes us all out into the desert to be killed, and then I can rescue Han and Leia and Chewie and the droids and Lando. Any questions?

keep sending jabba prisoners until it loops back around to 0 prisoners

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

you have not even begun to plumb the depths of star wars collector poo poo, i see

more like they didn't make them the centerpiece of the marketing

i mean of course there's tons of super expensive star wars bullshit for Blue Story or whatever her name was, but the golden mechs were so obviously a cash grab and came right after the double-whammy of Clans and GHOST HEAT: THE MAGNUM OPUS so it felt worse to me.

also i was playing mwo back when that happened

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Squizzle posted:

keep sending jabba prisoners until it loops back around to 0 prisoners

i dont think the rebels could spare 256 agents though

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Gulping Again posted:

more like they didn't make them the centerpiece of the marketing

i mean of course there's tons of super expensive star wars bullshit for Blue Story or whatever her name was, but the golden mechs were so obviously a cash grab and came right after the double-whammy of Clans and GHOST HEAT: THE MAGNUM OPUS so it felt worse to me.

also i was playing mwo back when that happened

???? ??????? ??

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I thought the New Republic Capitol planet they blew up was supposed to be Chandrilla, which was Mon Mothma's homeworld, but then I also remember something about a place called Hosnian Prime, which means nothing to me so it's probably that one.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Don Dongington posted:

I thought the New Republic Capitol planet they blew up was supposed to be Chandrilla, which was Mon Mothma's homeworld, but then I also remember something about a place called Hosnian Prime, which means nothing to me so it's probably that one.
The capital was originally Chandrilla right after Endor, but eventually got moved around and was on Hosnian Prime at the time of TFA.

Of course none of this is indicated in the movie because establishing the setting of your story is for nerds and JJ ain't got time for that when we got another Death Star to blow up.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

There has to be an end to it right? I mean...I know new movies means new toys, but when Blue Story posted her famous thread hadn't they already spent tens of thousands on star wars toys? And that was before the new movies even came out, wasn't it? There's no way they didn't have multiples of literally everything.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there is always more and it is always worse

true of terrifying toy collector stories, F2P game monetization, and Star Wars movies

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
JJ: If only there was a place in Star Wars movies specifically designed for exposition that establishes the setting. Oh well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

2house2fly posted:

JJ: If only there was a place in Star Wars movies specifically designed for exposition that establishes the setting. Oh well.

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

THE DEAD SPEAK!

They say "I'm sick and tired of all these goddamn star wars"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

somehow

*sigh*

Palpatine returned

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey thread what do we like more:

The fact that Palpatine's return was revealed in the opening crawl and they didn't even bother with any real build up or exposition;

Or

The fact that the 1991 Tom Veitch comic book series Dark Empire did the whole reborn emperor thing so much better?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palpatine doesn't make plans

the true power of the dark side is improv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Don Dongington posted:

Hey thread what do we like more:

The fact that Palpatine's return was revealed in the opening crawl and they didn't even bother with any real build up or exposition;

Or

The fact that the 1991 Tom Veitch comic book series Dark Empire did the whole reborn emperor thing so much better?

what