Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I loved Varian's song from Queen for a Day, and that was when I went from liking the show to really liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Whiz Palace posted:

Mike Schur of Office/Parks and Rec fame gave up on the 26 episode model for this reason - his latest show did only 13 half-hours a season but not a single minute felt wasted.

Different shows have different needs. For a show like The Good Place which wants to tell its story tightly, 13 per season is enough. For a show like Tangled which is produced to also fill air time and keep Tangled merch alive, it gets 26.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched the episode where Pascal returns to the tower due to feeling left out. I like the visual touches, like not only is the tower completely overgrown and covered in cobwebs, the scars from Rapunzel's battle with Mother Gothel are still there, like her miles of brown hair littering the floor and the broken mirror lying where it shattered. also the visual reference with the pot where she hid the satchel getting broken when the snake slammed into it was cool too. I'll watch more tomorrow.

I also like that Rapunzel isn't taking her role as Princess for granted, she's done her homework with regards to Corona law and she isn't afraid to throw her weight around when it matters. She's pretty much training for the day she'll become queen.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 31, 2020

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I have watched a single episode of the Tangled series, and my first impression is that Cass exudes powerful Crushing On Clueless Straight Friend energy. How disappointed will I be if I watch more episodes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cattail Prophet posted:

I have watched a single episode of the Tangled series, and my first impression is that Cass exudes powerful Crushing On Clueless Straight Friend energy. How disappointed will I be if I watch more episodes?

It is somewhat implied that she's straight in one episode. But honestly, she doesn't really seem to care about that kinda stuff. So I guess you will be kinda disappointed.

I mean, Disney isn't going to end this series by making Casandra break Rapz and Eugene up. That should be somewhat obvious.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
I guess depends on your expectations. Needless to say for a Disney Channel series based specifically on a established Disney movie, any and all attempts at being gay will at best be little things put in from writers

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I watched the tv movie when it came out and an episode or two. It's good stuff, just didn't hook me to keep up. I should really binge it one of these days, there's a scene with Cass singing with the kid and it's loving amazing looking (and that bit of song sounded good)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

I watched the tv movie when it came out and an episode or two. It's good stuff, just didn't hook me to keep up. I should really binge it one of these days, there's a scene with Cass singing with the kid and it's loving amazing looking (and that bit of song sounded good)

Yeah, you do that. The musical number at the beginning of season three is actually one of the best songs Disney created. It's really good. Posting it would be a massive spoiler, though.

As I said, some of the episodes are a bit slow and inconsequential, but most are still quite heartfelt and progress the characters, or establish something about that world. And when this show speeds up, it's really impressive.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 1, 2020

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

MorningMoon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJakeneutron/status/1222094777098948609

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Mercury Filmworks are among the kings of Flash/Toonboom puppet-rig animation

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched The Wrath Of Ruthless Ruth's Wraith. I loved "Listen Up".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Queen for a Day was really good. I like where Varien's character arc is going, and i'm curious how interesting his alchemy will get since he's likely to fall into villainy due to feelings of vengeance, or at least becoming a foil for Rapunzel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I always thought the Tangled show looked kinda interesting, at least from seeing the last 2 minutes of a bunch of episodes back when I was watching DVR'd Star vs. episodes. Guess I'll have to give it an actual shot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I always thought the Tangled show looked kinda interesting, at least from seeing the last 2 minutes of a bunch of episodes back when I was watching DVR'd Star vs. episodes. Guess I'll have to give it an actual shot.

Keep us updated. There are some definitive highlights. Queen for a Day would be one of the first ones. Up to that episode, everything is kinda trudging along, but that one is a game changer.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
We were watching Clarence on Netflix but it only has season 1.
Amazon seems to have other episodes but I just can't understand why they put it under "volumes" so it's impossible to tell how much of season 2 is there and where it starts/ends without tonnes of faffing about

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They chopped up Steven Universe differently too, I think it's something about wanting to price batches of episodes the same when Cartoon Network is stuffing 50+ episodes into season 1 to get enough for syndication and then putting out smaller seasons afterward.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

They chopped up Steven Universe differently too, I think it's something about wanting to price batches of episodes the same when Cartoon Network is stuffing 50+ episodes into season 1 to get enough for syndication and then putting out smaller seasons afterward.

Yea I remember, I saw it on there first in fact.
It's dumb - it just makes it harder to follow. It was ordered badly on there even for no reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow Episode 19, The tower is no more. Didn't expect that. Finished season 1. Very interesting, looking forward to Rapunzel's journey. Also the climax with Verian was fun.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 1, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way, I like to think that Ruthless Ruth was the start of the Snuggly duckling's patron's journeys. She thought that she was the only one with a real passion, but when she pursued it she died of embarrassment due to feeling too self-conscious. Given that by the time Rapunzel finds them, they already know each others secret desires, I like to think Ruth's death lit a fire under them, with them realising "Oh my god I'm wasting my life by not pursuing my dream, I don't want to die like that" and got them sharing. Then Rapunzel got them to take their second step in the journey, allowing the outside world to see them for who they really were.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Owl House has been very enjoyable and I really liked them pulling out the animation stops for this lil bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDk_5-KceA&t=115s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've caught up with Tangled. I loved all of the villain songs so far, they're really fun.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished Kipo, awesome stuff, can't wait for more. Also just found out it was originally a webcomic, but it seems to be gone: http://kipothecomic.com/

Anyone know where I can read it?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Owl House has been great and I loved Eda in the newest episode. That wonky tooth makes so much more sense now!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I loved that maybe demons are all just little cute pokemon little dudes and they think they all are fearsome monsters

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I've caught up with Tangled. I loved all of the villain songs so far, they're really fun.

They are such incredibly great Disney songs.
I want to use them to recommend the show, but they are basically as spoilery as it gets.
In case you don't care about spoilers whatsoever and just want to know what the fuzz is about, take a look at these two songs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

They are such incredibly great Disney songs.
I want to use them to recommend the show, but they are basically as spoilery as it gets.
In case you don't care about spoilers whatsoever and just want to know what the fuzz is about, take a look at these two songs.

Given Rapunzel's nature part of me is hoping that the Demon ends up being won over by Rapunzel and joining her buddy squad by the end game, just for King Trevor's reaction that Corona now has all the coolest magical people within their walls, the sundrop, the moonstone, a werewolf, an Alchemist, and now a demon.

Also on another note, King Trevor's puns own. I love the Seal of Approval and the Navy Seals mostly.

Finally in that second song you linked I think my favourite moment is "Becoming the villain is not the answer!" "Is that what you think I am?"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 3, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Owl House has been very enjoyable and I really liked them pulling out the animation stops for this lil bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDk_5-KceA&t=115s

I fully expected to not really care about the "will Luz learn magic?" Main Plot of the show going forward, assuming it would be boilerplate Believe In Yourself Hard Enough, but the fact that she's effectively learning hermetic magic as a workaround has me intrigued. Eda, who has really been the reason I've been watching this show, has a background reveal that's sort of... well, I mean, it's there? I hope there's more to it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Madurai posted:

I fully expected to not really care about the "will Luz learn magic?" Main Plot of the show going forward, assuming it would be boilerplate Believe In Yourself Hard Enough, but the fact that she's effectively learning hermetic magic as a workaround has me intrigued. Eda, who has really been the reason I've been watching this show, has a background reveal that's sort of... well, I mean, it's there? I hope there's more to it.

Eda seems to have a sister that she's on less than good terms with it seems.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Owl House is super gay, right? Only three episodes in, but it's clearly very gay.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not that I've noticed?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Owl House is super gay, right? Only three episodes in, but it's clearly very gay.

That's creepy. You're creepy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I didn't see that at all. No clue what you are seeing there. Unless you mean gay as in sparkly and girlish, then kinda?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On a less creepy note, a prediction for how the Tangled cartoon may end - I'm thinking that Rapunzel will make Cassandra realise that she is being manipulated after something finally gets through to her, and they reconcile not as a princess and handmaiden but as the daughters of Mother Gothel, coming together as sisters, since both were screwed up in some way by her. Sundrop and Moonstone will unite, kick the crap out of the demon with cool powers like surfing down ramps of black rock together with Rapunzel playing defense with her hair, and after the union, because the destiny is now complete because they are together at last, the sundrop and moonstone will leave in some way, taking their powers with them, leaving Raps with the short hair linking back to the wedding short.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
People, I meant gay as in, like, Steven Universe gay. As in adorable and wholesome. As in this show is about a girl who almost got sent to conversion camp so she'd have the difference erased out of her but she escaped to an alternate universe where she's accepted for who she wants to be. She also makes other girls blush.

Also, this is coincidental, but I reckon it's suggestive:

https://mobile.twitter.com/danaterrace/status/1032701004871950336?lang=en

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 4, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

People, I meant gay as in, like, Steven Universe gay. As in adorable and wholesome. As in this show is about a girl who almost got sent to conversion camp so she'd have the difference erased out of her but she escaped to an alternate universe where she's accepted for who she wants to be. She also makes other girls blush.

Feel free to see what you want in it. It could have easily been a fat camp metaphor, and I'm not really getting the vibe like from SU or She-ra. Cartoons that anyone can identify with are good.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

So far Luis seems straight seeing as she was all about angst prince and his abs. I cant speak for eda but she seems to swing any way she wants.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Luz. That's the name. It means light in spanish.

Weirdly Eda reminds me a lot of Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo, except without the harem anime bits that make me ashamed to reminisce about Tenchi Muyo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weirdly Eda reminds me a lot of Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo, except without the harem anime bits that make me ashamed to reminisce about Tenchi Muyo.

The look is all there, it's true.

edit: come to think of it, she even lost a hand right off the bat just like Ryouko, too.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 4, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eda's expressly had multiple boyfriends and also apparently caught the Owl Demon STD from one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Eda's expressly had multiple boyfriends and also apparently caught the Owl Demon STD from one of them.

I know a lot of lesbian and bi girls who had a lot of boyfriends.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And a light spell is the first spell she learns. :3: