Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

grack posted:

New Delta day today!

Sterling silver cap and grip, and sparkly turquoise barrel with an 18k nib. Also I got a random Jinhao in the mail that I didn't order. :shrug:

Old post, I know, but I just can't get over how pretty this pen is! Big fan of blue-greens in pen bodies. Is this one of your Amazon outlet finds? I can never find any good deals there. :(

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm doing something I almost never do and have nothing but Viscontis in my pen case

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Chip McFuck posted:

Old post, I know, but I just can't get over how pretty this pen is! Big fan of blue-greens in pen bodies. Is this one of your Amazon outlet finds? I can never find any good deals there. :(

eBay. Delta's been out of business a long time at this point, Amazon has long since sold off all of their stock.

iospace posted:

I have it on good authority that the Curidas will go out mid February.

Platinum Curried rear end

gently caress, now I want a Japanese curry

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:v:

(I went to an actual pen store today, and decided well, since you're doing me a favor... I love purple)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

North African Violet is a wonderful color in every pen I've tried.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Has anyone tried Tokyo Gift? It looks like a nice pinkish red.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As a result of this thread's feedback, I bought a two TWSBI Ecos, one in fine and one in extra-fine. They should be here in a few days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The north African violet is a near perfect ink. Would like it to dry a tad faster, but I can use it on newspaper with minimal feathering.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Can anyone recommend a red ink that writes well on cheap printer paper? I've been using a TWSBI ECO with Diamine Oxblood to grade papers, and the obvious downside is that sometimes the feathering makes my markups mechanically illegible. I don't care that much about it being red, to be honest, I just want something that clearly stands out against white and black.

Also, I can't wait to see some reflections on the Platinum Curidas. I've always wanted a retractable fountain pen, and this puts them into an attractive price range.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sheaffer Skrip Red is maybe what you're looking for.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What I'm most excited about is the better converter. The pilot converter is jammed the gently caress into the VP. I've already destroyed one converter trying to remove it for easy cleaning / filling. I'm afraid to remove the replacement for fear of doing the same thing. Also it holds basically 0 ink.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

What I'm most excited about is the better converter. The pilot converter is jammed the gently caress into the VP. I've already destroyed one converter trying to remove it for easy cleaning / filling. I'm afraid to remove the replacement for fear of doing the same thing. Also it holds basically 0 ink.

Yeah, I hope this lights a fire under Pilot’s rear end to make a better converter, and hopefully a VP at a lower price point too.

I’ll almost certainly pick up one of these, I love the VP but it’s heavy and hey, $70 is less risk to carry around than like $150.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, gonna shot in the dark here:

I've heard the Bernanke Black feathers very easily, as do my pilot cartridges, on "bad" paper. Is there a black ink that pretty much has the same properties as the North African Violet I'm loving: pretty quick drying time (quick enough for my lefty self), minimal feathering and bleed through. Not really worried about the other stuff Noodler's has.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

iospace posted:

Ok, gonna shot in the dark here:

I've heard the Bernanke Black feathers very easily, as do my pilot cartridges, on "bad" paper. Is there a black ink that pretty much has the same properties as the North African Violet I'm loving: pretty quick drying time (quick enough for my lefty self), minimal feathering and bleed through. Not really worried about the other stuff Noodler's has.

Maybe Noodler's X-Feather? It was made specifically for bad paper.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Arcsech posted:

Yeah, I hope this lights a fire under Pilot’s rear end to make a better converter, and hopefully a VP at a lower price point too.

I’ll almost certainly pick up one of these, I love the VP but it’s heavy and hey, $70 is less risk to carry around than like $150.

It's funny, Pilot does make a cheaper version of the VP called Capless but only for the Japanese market. You can find them sometimes on Amazon or eBay for around $80 if you're willing to import one. The pen has a steel nib instead of gold, but it's otherwise identical. Hopefully the Curidas will push Pilot to start marketing their Capless outside of Japan and maybe get some more companies to throw their hat into the retractable ring.

Edit: Speak of the devil, I just got a package in from Japan. Can't wait to get home and open it!

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 2, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will vouch for the quality of the Capless. I have one with a nice silver body.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Dad Hominem posted:

"Capless" is the name for the whole VP series in Japan and outside of the US. There are 14k and steel nib Caplesses. What you're thinking of is that the steel nib ones are Japan only.

Gonna quote myself here because it's not the case that Capless = steel. Weird pet peeve, I know, but we're all kinda weird here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If it costs less than a hundo it's the steel nib Capless.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Welp, went to go pick up my package from the post office and found that a bunch of pens arrived at the same time.

Top to bottom:
Monteverde Regatta Sport rollerball
Jinhao 159
Moonman M600S
Pilot Capless
Moonman 80

Put some Old Man Winter in the Moonman 80 so far and am liking it. Well balanced and it's refreshing to not have a designated grip section. The only criticism so far is that the cap is really tight and takes a little force to remove, but it's not really that big a deal as I'm not planning on using it to take notes. I'm gonna wait to ink up the others, as I'm going on vacation for a week and don't want to leave them sitting around that long.

Edit:

Dad Hominem posted:

Gonna quote myself here because it's not the case that Capless = steel. Weird pet peeve, I know, but we're all kinda weird here.

Good to know. Didn't realize that the Capless was just a different name for the same pen, I thought it was a separate, 'budget-friendly' line.

It's interesting that Pilot doesn't use a plain steel nib for their steel models and instead colors them gold. It would look better with a plain nib in my opinion.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 2, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I'm interested to see how you like the moonman after using it a bit. I love my parker 45 and wouldnt mind a modern iteration.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Unfortunately I don't have a real Parker 45 to compare it against, but I will say that it is very pleasant to write with so far. Nib writes smoothly, if a touch dry, out of the box without any adjustment. It came with a converter that has a tiny spring for an agitator (which I guess isn't uncommon for Chinese pens), but it made some odd sounds when moving the pen around before I took a look. Once it's filled with ink it doesn't make a noise.

Interestingly, the Moonman's parts are identical and interchangeable with the 45 according to some video reviews. So I guess if you didn't like the nib you could swap it out with a vintage one no problem.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stealie72 posted:

I'm interested to see how you like the moonman after using it a bit. I love my parker 45 and wouldnt mind a modern iteration.

I would also like to subscribe to your newsletter

The m600 works pretty nice.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 3, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

tater_salad posted:

I would also like to subscribe to your newsletter

The m600 works pretty nice.

I'll let you know when the next issue of "Is the Moonman 80 A Good Pen Monthly" comes out.

I have an M2 that I dig. I eyedroppered it and haven't filled it again in almost a year. Still writes every time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

*Makes happy I-Just-Agreed-In-Principle-To-A-Trade-For-Another-Delta noises*

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dad Hominem posted:

yep. the entire series is just called the Capless in Japan, whatever nib they might carry.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Is it wierd to want a Visconti just because you like the clip design?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, what's the main difference between a TWSBI Eco and 580?

Or, what justifies the extra 20 bucks or so?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Goulet has a blog post about this: Go vs Eco vs 580

Basically, the 580 is made of different, scratch resistant materials and the grip sections are round and interchangeable.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Chip McFuck posted:

Goulet has a blog post about this: Go vs Eco vs 580

Basically, the 580 is made of different, scratch resistant materials and the grip sections are round and interchangeable.

This is interesting because I think my only complaint about the 580 is that the clarity of the plastic has suffered over the years, where my ECO (which admittedly isn't as old) still looks pretty pristine. I wonder if it might just be cloudiness from using lovely tap water to flush it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goddamnit Nathan you better reissue Berning Red :argh:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Just a heads up if anyone is planning on importing anything from Japan: Apparently international packages from Asia are being delayed due to concerns over the virus.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

howe_sam posted:

Sheaffer Skrip Red is maybe what you're looking for.

Thanks for the tip, just ordered a bottle.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think I'm fairly open minded when it comes to fountain pens but the one thing I'll never understand is people spending hundreds of dollars on pens that have JoWo steel nibs.

Edit: They're fine nibs but that's a lot of money for a pen that will write nearly the same than the Jinhao I have with a $20 replacement nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The vast majority of those pens aren't for writing, they're for collecting purposes.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 6, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I didn't realize Delta used jowo nibs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

I didn't realize Delta used jowo nibs.

Bock, actually :eng101:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That wasn't some attack on you, Grack, sorry if it came across that way! I don't know anything about delta, let alone that they used Bock nibs. Vintage (or discontinued) product collecting is a whole different thing in my mind.

What prompted it was me seeing this brand pop up on Goulet
https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/monty-winnfield-highwater-fountain-pens

I don't get the appeal of buying a $375 new pen with a pretty generic, albeit usually pretty good, steel jowo nib.

Edit: I understand it'd be solely for the artistry and material of the barrel but it's still so boring!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 6, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I know it wasn't a poke at me, don't worry.

I also freely admit that I'm much more a collector than a user. I mean, I gave up trying to use every pen in my collection a long, long time ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... I just realized that Noodler's Dark Matter is based off of ink used at Los Alamos. Which leads me to ask:

How quickly does it dry?

And how good would it be on say, copy paper? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Almost all of Noodler's inks have some kind of weird story behind them and are usually in reference to some historical event.