Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t know if it’s considered a saga or whatever, but every once in a while I’ll think of the goon who was the op for the dark knight thread in cined and how he passed away before it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
this isn't a saga either but sometimes i think about the cat who's sig says he's a macaroni salad kinda guy and includes it in every post they make

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

verbal enema posted:

this isn't a saga either but sometimes i think about the cat who's sig says he's a macaroni salad kinda guy and includes it in every post they make

I really want to see this.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pastry of the Year posted:

I really want to see this.

I will make it my mission to find that poster

also cuz i gotta see that sig again lol i think it has an ascii crab in it??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im a little bit of a macaroni salad kinda guy, but i wonder if i will be his kinda guy or he will be mine? or neither? that is my question for the cards tonight.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
When the crews begin in GBS and Night crew was a thing... Where did it go, I can't find it in the crew sub forum.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Foul Ole Ron posted:

When the crews begin in GBS and Night crew was a thing... Where did it go, I can't find it in the crew sub forum.

It may be in the septic tank.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It may be in the septic tank.

To rad and out there to hide, to lovely not to flush.

God speed you beautiful fecal thread.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone remember an old Buddhism thread where Ruddha broke character to tell someone they were a bad Buddhist? Basically the teacher they were following was corrupt in some fashion and that all the teachings they had on offer could not be trusted.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone remember an old Buddhism thread where Ruddha broke character to tell someone they were a bad Buddhist? Basically the teacher they were following was corrupt in some fashion and that all the teachings they had on offer could not be trusted.

i remember it, but i dont have a link

probably it was quoted in a prior incarnation ott (of this thread)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

VanSandman posted:

It was actually the current Buddhism thread albeit 7 years ago. It's only sporadically active so its only managed to get to 100-something pages in a full decade. It starts on page 19 I think. It starts on page 19 I think. There was a dude named "the worst thing is" who was named "Tautologicus" at the time and was pretty clearly mentally ill who attended Naropa school in Colorado. He had a lot of wrong view and misinterpretation of Buddhist doctrine like emotions are evil and the enemy and iirc he also claimed to be basically only a little bit away from being an Arahant or completely enlightened person (for non-Buddhists this is like saying your understanding of Buddhism is roughly equivalent to the Buddha himself) He was so arrogant and asinine he managed to completely rile up whats usually a really chill thread.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 1, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you see the Buddha in the thread, mock him until he stops posting :hai:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Heath posted:

If you see the Buddha in the thread, mock him until he stops posting :hai:

We're on the road and we're gunning for the Buddha
We know his name and he mustn't get away

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ruddha posted:

[in lotus posture] well that's like *leg starts cramping up* [strained] your, opinion man.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ruddha posted:

Buddha raised a flower. None knew, save one. Mahakashyapa smiled, before his face wrinkled up, and he started shouting "Wow, are you guys seriously like this? Oh my god. Wow, forgot how dumb everyone is, except for me. You guys, holy guacamole."

Ruddha posted:

The story where the buddha tells the angry young monk about pulling the arrow out rather than refusing until you know about who shot it, what kind of bow he used, where he was from, etc, but instead of "getting it", the monk goes "gently caress you bitch"

Ruddha posted:

Keep your story straight before I go Asura on your rear end, spiritually.

Ruddha was too good for this website and I'm sad he realized that.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

this is like saying your understanding of Buddhism is roughly equivalent to the Buddha himself
i'm this

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Knowledge of your own butthole is not the same thing as knowledge of your self, no matter how much you idealize the Goatman.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Knowledge of your own butthole is not the same thing as knowledge of your self, no matter how much you idealize the Goatman.

Profound.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Being Buddha is like being insane, if you know you're Buddha, you can't be Buddha.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm the nostril buddha. Otherwise known as boogha

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

I have him on ignore too but I've seen the phrase "months-long cross-forums grudge" posted by him a dozen times before then no matter who he is referring too. At this point its basically gang-stalking in his mind.

i've always liked people getting mad and saying things like "you follow me from thread to thread" as if the forums were some large city where a stalker is noticeable, instead of a particularly large and smelly dive bar where the same degenerates get in the same arguments every day

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

- Siddhartha Goatman

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

luxury handset posted:

i've always liked people getting mad and saying things like "you follow me from thread to thread" as if the forums were some large city where a stalker is noticeable, instead of a particularly large and smelly dive bar where the same degenerates get in the same arguments every day

Yeah somehow he gets banned entirely from CD but any thread he posts in he's being gangstalked.

Holy lol that buddist thread guy is a huge piece of poo poo and even if Ruddha didn't show up it's pretty clear that level of arrogance and condescension probably disqualify him from being buddhist.

quote:

You and PricklyPete are not Buddhists yet. That's fine though, I would bet a lot of people in this thread are not Buddhists although they claim to be. It is a common trap to fall into, and hard to avoid without sincere deliberation. You might like the teachings of the Buddha and subsequent Buddhist teachers, but you do not understand them yet. I said everything I needed to say in previous posts. Please read them again in order to better understand. I have already addressed your points.

When the subject of Chogyam Trungpa came up. Bold quotes are the prime rear end in a top hat.

quote:

I was in Boulder in those days. There's no little of both, he was a monster.

quote:

I can see why you would think that. I like some of his teachings though, and I don't totally agree that he was a monster, just troubled. I go to Naropa now by the way. The school does not succeed at much of anything it sets out to do, and I guess it wasn't based on a very effective foundation. I'm happy to be a week away from graduating.

quote:

Are you defending the dharma credentials of someone who, despite vows, did piles of coke, drank, and slept with his students while at the same time you're calling other well respected teacher charlatans?

quote:

And Chogyam Trungpa is enormously controversial. I personally think he had good qualities. He also had a lot of lousy ones, which he was very upfront about. Most of his students weren't really that bright though, and just wanted to pursue hedonistic nonsense. That's the sense I get. If you're trying to trap me here, I don't care. I am going to defend him to the extent that he was eloquent and made interesting connections. I admit the way he lived his life was slightly ridiculous. But what are you looking for, a God? He came from Tibet, an enormously conservative and even backwards society, and realized quickly he could probably have sex with any white woman he wanted. He had charisma. And so he took advantage of it. What would you have done?

Later on

quote:

No it just means you might not be very smart. My arguments have always been logical and NEVER been based on some kind of authority. I am starting to think you're not exactly my audience. Nor WaffleHound, nor Paremetic, or some other people. Maybe Mr. M. (I get a sense of intelligence from him) and everyone who has said nothing but only read silently.

That's why this so frustrating. I rarely say "this is true because it's true". I make a logical case for it.

You aren't my target here, your faculties are limited apparently.

For instance, you, for pages, demanded to see a Mahayana teaching said by the Buddha himself. That is a ridiculously stupid thing to continue to ask for.
And you didn't correct me when I said Talmud instead of Torah, that was funny. You even quoted it.
And asking for "evidence" instead of thinking it over yourself is generally the mark of a fool in my experience. Think for yourself. Don't ask to be spoonfed.

quote:

I asked for some textual evidence for your claims, which of course you could not provide. And asking for a Mahayana sutra said to contain the teachings of the Buddha is not ridiculous at all, given that Mayahan schools attribute plenty of sutras to the Buddha. I am sure you are familiar with the Diamond sutra.

Asking for evidence is a sign of critical thought. If I wanted to be spoonfed I would just blindly accept this twisted version of the Dhamma you are claiming as the true, correct path.

It's a pretty crazy ride and also self evident that anyone that angry posting on a forum board is probably not as near to "true inner peace" as they incessantly claim.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 1, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It was actually the current Buddhism thread albeit 7 years ago. It's only sporadically active so its only managed to get to 100-something pages in a full decade. It starts on page 19 I think. It starts on page 19 I think. There was a dude named "the worst thing is" who was named "Tautologicus" at the time and was pretty clearly mentally ill who attended Naropa school in Colorado. He had a lot of wrong view and misinterpretation of Buddhist doctrine like emotions are evil and the enemy and iirc he also claimed to be basically only a little bit away from being an Arahant or completely enlightened person (for non-Buddhists this is like saying your understanding of Buddhism is roughly equivalent to the Buddha himself) He was so arrogant and asinine he managed to completely rile up whats usually a really chill thread.

This was a cool read. I know next to nothing about Buddhism, but that thread was so patient with the lovely dude that I feel like I learned something.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

quote:

You and PricklyPete are not Buddhists yet. That's fine though, I would bet a lot of people in this thread are not Buddhists although they claim to be. It is a common trap to fall into, and hard to avoid without sincere deliberation. You might like the teachings of the Buddha and subsequent Buddhist teachers, but you do not understand them yet. I said everything I needed to say in previous posts. Please read them again in order to better understand. I have already addressed your points.

lol

"For more information, please reread my posts."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If you wish to gain a better understanding of your religion, please refer to the teachings of the world’s foremost expert on the subject: me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Only by turning off one's monitor can one gain knowledge of their true self

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ariong posted:

If you wish to gain a better understanding of your religion, please refer to the teachings of the world’s foremost expert on the subject: me.

Which religion is worst and why is it catholicism?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Moon Slayer posted:

lol

what is the sound of one post answering

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

lol

Also the post that eventually caught him a permaban was in some 2017 iteration of a Trump thread lol, truly enlightened bodhisattva

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Moon Slayer posted:

lol

I wouldn't think Scarfolk Council would allow a Buddhist school in town.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

oldpainless posted:

Which religion is worst and why is it catholicism?

Sorry its Christian Science actually

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Through reading that man's posts I become desirous of nonexistence, thereby maintaining an attachment and preventing myself from reaching it, bound to the wheel for eternities upon eternities

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Captain Hygiene posted:

Only by turning off one's monitor can one gain knowledge of their true self
When doing so I see so much of myself, yet I can never see my whole.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

turn around and bend over.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer posted:

lol

The dystopian anti-thought nightmare society Scarfolk, which used the same catchphrase regarding its official dispatches, at least had the decency to be fictional.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always thought Scarfolk was like the British meme version of Night Vale tbh

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I always thought Scarfolk was like the British meme version of Night Vale tbh

It kinda is, just told only in informational posters.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ghostlight posted:

turn around and bend over.
But then my whole self is exposed but I cannot see it.

*thus CannonFodder was enlightened*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Crowetron posted:

Hmmm...can I get a hat wobble?