Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
OP, I prefer to let acquaintances sort of peter out before they can become friends, that way I never have to sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I believe the girl could talk to chickens but I do not believe pick had a friend

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

The Grimace posted:

if your "friend" ever threatens physical harm against you, or continually gets you into poo poo without any regard for your own (or their own) well-being, it's time to sever

yes.

Pretty much this and

dudeness posted:

Once they start hurting you, physically or emotionally. I consider coveting the chicken language a direct attack.

Had a 'friend' that was only interested in seeing me as a potential love interest. He was very selfish and hypocritical, lied a lot and invaded my privacy. Never remembered any agreements we made when we became roommates. Basically used me to escape an abusive ex only to go running back to him once I helped him escape the inconvenience of living with his codependent and controlling boyfriend. Not to mention when he figured out I wasn't really interested in him in that way. Never mind this guy endangering my life as well as another friend and his sister driving drunk and pissed as our designated driver.

I know that no one is perfect and everyone has there flaws or their way of wanting to live their life but if you can't even be honest or respectful of other people's boundaries then you're not really a good friend. That's all the justification you need to say that you don't need someone like that in your life. Unless you are cool with it and everything else about them :shrug:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, it's pretty basic stuff that if somebody starts literally hurting you, then they're probably not your friend anymore, barring exceptional circumstances. I guess the more interesting question is how weird can somebody get before they aren't your friend anymore.

For me, I guess that point happens roughly where I can no longer understand or empathise with what they are talking about more than like 50% of the time, and that makes things kinda uncomfortable/awkward. I feel like I have a pretty high bar for aberrant behaviour though, unless it's like super embarrassing in a public place, in which case I shrink into a corn cob while crying about it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
When they put pants on their head it's over

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

The red flag was that she claimed to speak "the chicken language", as if there's only one! :doh:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you could speak Chickenese, would you still eat them?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’ve severed with a few friends because they married someone lovely and constantly complained about their spouse. Yeah, I hate your pos husband too, maybe think about leaving them??
One friend went so far as to create a secret Facebook group solely for bitching about spouses, like she thought her grievances were common. That was just petty and hosed up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

If you could speak Chickenese, would you still eat them?

It's called chickencheese

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Never. If a friend turns out to be a crazy piece of poo poo, I believe it is my righteous duty to push them as far down that path as I can. I don't even mean being an enabler for the behavior, that's far too passive.

Turn into an active instigator. Make it a game of one-upmanship until you reach the very end of their road. Let no man step to you. Make them feel sketched out, afraid of the being they once have seen as a friend, now locked in conflict that has warped their very nature into an abomination, barely human. Make them participate in ritual sacrifice of their loved ones. Stare deep into their eyes and drink from the fountain of fear. Tear a hole so deep in their soul that not even G*d can fill it.

Brand them with your mark, another fool sought to challenge a psychic sorcerer and failed. They will wear the psychological scars as marks of humiliation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of my friends has Asked me to stop joking about killing myself, which can be taken one of two ways

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or as “pick, just shut the gently caress up”

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Dont Touch ME posted:

Never. If a friend turns out to be a crazy piece of poo poo, I believe it is my righteous duty to push them as far down that path as I can. I don't even mean being an enabler for the behavior, that's far too passive.

Turn into an active instigator. Make it a game of one-upmanship until you reach the very end of their road. Let no man step to you. Make them feel sketched out, afraid of the being they once have seen as a friend, now locked in conflict that has warped their very nature into an abomination, barely human. Make them participate in ritual sacrifice of their loved ones. Stare deep into their eyes and drink from the fountain of fear. Tear a hole so deep in their soul that not even G*d can fill it.

Brand them with your mark, another fool sought to challenge a psychic sorcerer and failed. They will wear the psychological scars as marks of humiliation.

Be quiet Michael, you always spoke nonsense.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
my threshold for "too much crazy" was constantly asking me for money while incessantly proclaiming himself to be pan-dimensional pagan super jesus. He of course was absolutely certain that i was his cosmic waifu, destined to buy him groceries for all eternity.

He wanted me to write his novel for him, but it was like a juggalo trying to do Clive Barker

I still get emails occasionally about the erotic dreams he has about me, usually accompanied by more requests for money

In my case, the crazy was relatively harmless, but I realized that i was happier when i didn't talk to him, and that was enough to call it quits. I think that's a good metric for any relationship.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Had one friend who was fed up with a neighbors dog barking and keeping him awake. He contemplated killing it with poison laced food. I know the cops got involved but he never did anything. I didn't stop talking to him until later when he started stealing knives from a grocery store he worked at. Did that cause a girl asked him to, who definitely wasn't into him.

Another friend of mine came out as transgender years ago. She was mad that her wife and 3 kids were not addressing her as Mom or Mommy. So, she did what any sane 30 year old adult would do, packed her bags and abandoned her kids to go live in Alaska with her new boyfriend.

What makes it extra lovely on my part is I am bad at confrontation so I just ghost people and cut contact with them.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
if they ever say "i dont eat rear end"

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I had a friend who was nuts. It was all good but he had a kid who was maybe 7 or 8 and while going down the list of perceived slights since I had seen him last and he listed off something his son did that was totally innocuous. I was like, "man let your kid be a kid. Stop." And he was like, "that little bitch is lucky I didn't knock his teeth out." I was done after that.
Then I caught wind he tried to fight two other friends of ours who told him that maybe he wasn't good enough at math to be an engineer (dude was for real in like.. year 9 of community college). That confirmed my decision. A few months after that he went off the rails and did the following:
quit his job.
started buying Alex Jones supplements.
Wife leaves with the kid.
Goes to jail for beating up his mom.

He tried to reach out after he was let out and I was polite but just said I'm too wrapped up in my own poo poo (working from home and jerking off twice a day) to get together which he accepted gracefully.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Or as “pick, just shut the gently caress up”

If you don't like the thread, how about you just not post in it as opposed to arbitrarily harassing people? Absolutely nothing about this thread is unusual or even noteworthy beyond your vendetta.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
If they won’t shut up about religion, bring a vegan, crossfit, or libertarianism, that’s it.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

dick wizard posted:

He tried to reach out after he was let out and I was polite but just said I'm too wrapped up in my own poo poo (working from home and jerking off twice a day) to get together which he accepted gracefully.

only twice?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you replace the i in pick with an e you get peck and that's what chickens do

really makes u think

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I had a uni classmate i hung out with and just one day he started speaking in a full Rastafarian accent with jamaican clothing, I just basically cut ties right there, also he was a white guy

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pick posted:

If you don't like the thread, how about you just not post in it as opposed to arbitrarily harassing people? Absolutely nothing about this thread is unusual or even noteworthy beyond your vendetta.

Yeah that came off wrong. Pick, don’t joke about killing yourself, it will freak people out and make them feel bad if you do. Apologies.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Junk posted:

only twice?

Sounds like OP should hit his buddy up for some of those infowars pills. Really gotta boost his test through the roof.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Junk posted:

only twice?
Uh yeah.
Login. JO. Nap. Scrum. Lunch. JO. Send email complaining about workload. Get kids off the bus. Make dinner. Then it's lights out.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

What the hell is scrum

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

dick wizard posted:

I'm too wrapped up in my own poo poo (working from home and jerking off twice a day) to get together which he accepted gracefully.

blessed user/post combo

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

One of my friends has Asked me to stop joking about killing myself, which can be taken one of two ways

Were the jokes not very good? I mean bombing suicide jokes has got to be an all time low for a comedian. :boehner:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Drug induced psychosis that persists for 3 years or longer

I've never had to cut off someone I actually was friends with, but I tend to be pretty buddy buddy with my employees, and a lot of dudes who have worked for me have had some pretty wild rides.

Recently, a former employee and dope addled cross dresser whom I had a soft spot for, even though I knew he was a big time idiot and gently caress up, got picked up on 6 counts of fraud with his 17 year old girlfriend (he's either 28 or 29) after they stole someone's debit card and spent $600 between the liquor store and a gas station. In the weeks preceding that incident he had declared that he "gave up on money as an idea and had no intention of ever working again," but not before he had purchased online and been wearing (in public!) a replica SS uniform. At least he bothered to replace the insignia with inverted crucifixes before posting selfies on social media and pulling his car over while visibly drunk to ask a mutual friend whom he saw walking down the sidewalk if he was trying to score some heady crystals. He tried to run after the warrants were issued, but he didn't get far. Also, he's out on bail even though the Sheriff's department found a substantial amount of meth he was never charged for at his grandparents house when they searched it while he was on the lam, including some that was packaged for resale as well as a lot of paraphernalia. If that guy is working with the police as an informant, though, my heart goes out to them

Another guy showed back up at the restaurant last month and asked if he could open up a tab and get a couple beers, to be paid on Friday after he got his paycheck. It was Friday. ("Uhh, I meant next Friday") He caught me in the back parking lot somehow after we respectfully declined his request and asked me how I had been doing. I told him I was well, and he enthusiastically volunteered that he was also! He elaborated that he had been filming a tv show, and that he knows it sounds crazy, but that I would see it on air soon. I didn't ask for any more details, but I felt pretty confident that he was living in some kind of Truman Show type delusion. I could post a lot of sad/hilarious stories about this dude, like any one of the three times I've fired him over the past seven years, but it seems like he's finally so far gone that he's not coming back.

And then there's the one whose next job was selling meth out of the drive through at Wendy's, but he just stole that idea from someone at the Wendy's here in town and tried to franchise it out to another area, so it hardly bears mentioning.

With all of those dudes, though, there's a common thread. I've known some relatively high functioning meth addicts in my time, but I can say 100% for certain that you shouldn't ever mix hardcore amphetamine use with benzodiazepines and/or (copious) alcohol. Cause that will land you in the restraint chair at the county jail. The second fellow I mentioned used to call it the "motorcycle chair," and if you ever heard him talk about it and saw the gestures he would make while he was describing it, you'd totally understand why

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 1, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Icochet posted:

When they put pants on their head it's over

Why did you just have to call out Pants head Ted like that?

Life of every party everywhere!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

And then there's the one whose next job was selling meth out of the drive through at Wendy's, but he just stole that idea from someone at the Wendy's here in town and tried to franchise it out to another area, so it hardly bears mentioning.

New spin on the "Sir, this is a Wendy's drive-thru" line.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AuntBuck posted:

I'm fine with crazy but I draw the line with assholes. Toxic people who aren't ever wrong and refuse to be accountable for anything.

Same

pepsi lover
Jan 30, 2020

by Reene
Been dealing with this question myself lately. I Have a friend with schizophrenia who I tried to be supportive of for a long time, but he’s just slowly morphed into the worst stereotype of a dependent person. He lives with whatever relative hasn’t kicked him out yet, spends all of his ebt money on dumb poo poo like tattoos then inevitably does drugs and goes off his meds. The latest time a mutual friend who I don’t really like either called me up to tell me he was back in the mental ward and we should all go visit I felt like a real rear end in a top hat when I was just like “eh, I don’t really wanna” and forgot about it.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Id say around 0.7 Picks

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

AuntBuck posted:

I'm fine with crazy but I draw the line with assholes. Toxic people who aren't ever wrong and refuse to be accountable for anything.

But if you're never wrong then what is there to be accountable for?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Around minute 10 of their screaming blaring thru the headset I took off and placed on the desk, all because of a videogame, OP.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Why did you just have to call out Pants head Ted like that?

Life of every party everywhere!

Because Ted hosed my wife at one of the parties.

I eventually forgave her and life goes on but.. two weeks ago she asked me to wear pants on my head in bed

gently caress you Ted

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Icochet posted:

Because Ted hosed my wife at one of the parties.

I eventually forgave her and life goes on but.. two weeks ago she asked me to wear pants on my head in bed

gently caress you Ted

Just embrace the pants on the head lifestyle. Everything in your life will just be better, plus you'll never have to own a hat ever again!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Best friend from ages 10-18, then we went to different universities in the same city and lost touch.
Met him 2 years later and he was doing stupid poo poo with his new friend and flatmate.
He would piss in peoples letterboxes on the way home from a night out, he would threaten to throw bricks through random windows, always some crazy rear end poo poo on the way home.
Then him and his flat mate would phone me up and heavy breath down the phone at random times, and I was living with my landlord at the time so that was fun.
Last straw was him threatening to throw a brick at MY flatmates bedroom window. For a laugh!
Told him no, gently caress off, and ignored him from then on.

See him every few years, and and tries to pick fights. Complete asshat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Friend decided to eat a dead raccoon off the side of the road? Fine.

Friend tried to force you to eat said raccoon too? Not fine.

I was honestly okay with him tricking me into eating a goose he shot with a .22 at the park. At least it was alive recently.