Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

Emo Phillips is nice as hell and I got to shake his hand once and I don't think I'll ever do any better in life than that one moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I occasionally sad-listen to Ari Shaffirs podcast. the way he talks about his deeds has this undercurrent of knowing he's an absolute rear end in a top hat but always is straining to justify himself. I think living like you are 20 when you are 45 may have something to do with it. He not only has never grown up (fine) but hasnt grown out of being a middle school lovely boy who lives in a bubble of no consequences. egh.

Sounds Adam Carolla-esque

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

drat what an rear end in a top hat

Better castrate him now then!

Seriously though, I do get people preferring to support entertainers they personally like

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 1, 2020

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Odddzy posted:

Before we watch him, can you confirm he's not a shitheel? I don't care about his standup, I just want to make sure he's a nice person first.

Some people don't want to financially support assholes. What a ridiculous idea.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm financially supporting Brian Regan's crack cocaine habit by watching his standup vids on youtube and making an adblock exception so he can make .00001 cent off my view (split with his agent and manager of course).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Megazver posted:

Mulaney is former drug addict.

That's like 99% of all stand-ups. Not even embellishing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Megazver posted:

Mulaney is former drug addict.

So? Drugs addicts can be good people. What a strange comment.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Odddzy posted:

I'm financially supporting Brian Regan's crack cocaine habit by watching his standup vids on youtube and making an adblock exception so he can make .00001 cent off my view (split with his agent and manager of course).

Holy poo poo you are tedious.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

So? Drugs addicts can be good people. What a strange comment.

Oh, sure. He seems like a good dude. But I'd classify 'struggling with addiction' as 'hosed up in one way or another'.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Ms Pat is really really funny, she works pretty blue but it's not political at all.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
For pure jokes these days nobody beats Jeselnik. I don’t even know of anybody that’s close, unless Wright is releasing new material I’ve missed.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Remulak posted:

For pure jokes these days nobody beats Jeselnik. I don’t even know of anybody that’s close, unless Wright is releasing new material I’ve missed.

Jimmy Carr springs to mind

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Stewart Francis (Canadian, but maybe more known in the UK) is a pretty decent one-liner comedian. Googling him, it looks like he just retired. Jeez, he's really 70? Looks younger.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

XIII posted:

Jimmy Carr springs to mind

I thought he just ROASTS HECKLERS, aka crowd work.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Is there an RSS feed that exhaustively lists all standup special releases?

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Remulak posted:

He always struck me as a pompous jack handy type more than anything else.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Remulak posted:

Nah, he does do that pretty well though. He's really weird looking and he's clasps his hands too much, but he's quick and funny.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

I manually waded through this thread on my phone to see if anyone mentioned Pete Holmes and I can’t believe it took this long, thank you. His jokes are rewatchably hilarious and his podcast is one of the better comedian podcasts. His podcast and book were a gateway to a very healing spiritual journey after over a decade of grief for me, but also I remember him from a Premium Blend where he did a joke about resting hands on hips like someone pregnant and I never would’ve guessed.

I saw Mulaney in Atlanta in his last tour and I could barely get enough breaths in between chunks to survive. In hindsight he might’ve just killed on the first joke and hypoxia took care of the rest.

I also got to see Emo Philips, who tours often and I highly recommend seeing live.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

superjew posted:

I manually waded through this thread on my phone to see if anyone mentioned Pete Holmes and I can’t believe it took this long, thank you. His jokes are rewatchably hilarious and his podcast is one of the better comedian podcasts. His podcast and book were a gateway to a very healing spiritual journey after over a decade of grief for me, but also I remember him from a Premium Blend where he did a joke about resting hands on hips like someone pregnant and I never would’ve guessed.

I saw Mulaney in Atlanta in his last tour and I could barely get enough breaths in between chunks to survive. In hindsight he might’ve just killed on the first joke and hypoxia took care of the rest.

I also got to see Emo Philips, who tours often and I highly recommend seeing live.

Mulaney isn't just funny, hes also a really strong storyteller

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Mulaney is the best stand-up comic working today. I can't think of anyone else who comes close.

But you know who else is excellent and keeps getting better, and is also a strong storyteller? Kyle Kinane. I saw him live in late 2018, he killed, and I'm psyched he's passing through on tour again this spring -- probably with a whole new set. If he comes to your town, don't miss him.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I would also say Mulaney is the best right now.

Ari Shaffir was supposed to tape a Netflix special this Friday, but appears to have gone dark. Should be interesting to see how that all plays out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Mulaney is the best stand-up comic working today. I can't think of anyone else who comes close.

But you know who else is excellent and keeps getting better, and is also a strong storyteller? Kyle Kinane. I saw him live in late 2018, he killed, and I'm psyched he's passing through on tour again this spring -- probably with a whole new set. If he comes to your town, don't miss him.

Mulaney and Kinane are definitely two of my favorite comics working. I've had the good fortune to work and hang out with Kinane a few times and he's just an amazingly cool, down to earth dude. One thing that really stood out when I first met him was, unlike a lot of comics, how often he will sit in the back of the crowd and watch the openers. Dude loves comedy and its refreshing to see.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

escape artist posted:

Ari Shaffir was supposed to tape a Netflix special this Friday,

hahaha

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Ari's whole career has been leading up to this moment. His whole shtick is "I'm an rear end in a top hat, so what!?" He's literally the "You triggered?" guy from those fake Netflix specials. I pretty much stopped hearing of him as an entity after Comedy Central allowed him in a special to refer to a fellow comic by her full name for a bit about disabled people (she has one arm) smelling bad. I guess he had his TV show This Is Not Happening based on his long-running live show but then CC fired him as host after one season.

Sucks about his Netflix special. Gotta hurt to lose $7,500, before representation and lawyer's fees.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh right that's why I know who that knob is. He trashed a disabled person in front of a thousand people and used her full name to do it. gently caress that dude.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Remulak posted:

What little I’ve heard of Jeselnik is basically edgelord poo poo about “I’m so offensive, look at me!” Maybe there’s more to him, but I’ve never felt the desire to dig in.

Anyway, apparently Mike Birbiglia has jumped the shark for being TOO POLITICAL.

https://twitter.com/indyliberty/status/1224318927620190210?s=21

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Jurgan posted:

What little I’ve heard of Jeselnik is basically edgelord poo poo about “I’m so offensive, look at me!” Maybe there’s more to him, but I’ve never felt the desire to dig in.

God drat it

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Jeselnik may seem like an edgelord from a distance, but it’s quickly clear on examination that he’s like a wrestling heel playing a character, and the jokes are actually good and mostly unexpected.

This is the best explanation of it I have seen in writing but no worries if it’s not your thing - he is a favorite of mine.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/anthony-jeselnik-fire-in-the-maternity-ward-review.html

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Jurgan posted:

There's a lot more to him. Can't recommend all of his specials enough. Especially newer ones where he drops his persona at times. He's a ver

Shaffir is an edgelord. If his jokes were funny, it's one thing. But "Shout out to the guy who forgot to gas his helicopter" isn't that funny of a joke. It's what any rear end in a top hat at a bar could come up with. But Jeselnik is a truly great joke writer, and doubly so considering every person who's watched him in the last 5 years is trying to figure out his punchline before even finishes the set-up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Piquai Souban posted:

Jeselnik may seem like an edgelord from a distance, but it’s quickly clear on examination that he’s like a wrestling heel playing a character, and the jokes are actually good and mostly unexpected.

This is the best explanation of it I have seen in writing but no worries if it’s not your thing - he is a favorite of mine.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/anthony-jeselnik-fire-in-the-maternity-ward-review.html

I think Jeselnik Mentioned in the past how he's been inspired by heels in wrestling to play the part of the bad guy. As far as I can tell it works well for him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Jeselnik tells the jokes about, like, child murder from a persona of a very glib sociopath but there is a very conscious awareness that hey, I know and you know that poo poo is hosed up and that's why you're laughing and it's all very much a performance.

Shaffir is mostly just like haha that lesbian oval office was fat, what a fat armless oval office amirite and it's not even... funny, even if you have a huge tolerance for rear end in a top hat humor.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Megazver posted:

Jeselnik tells the jokes about, like, child murder from a persona of a very glib sociopath but there is a very conscious awareness that hey, I know and you know that poo poo is hosed up and that's why you're laughing and it's all very much a performance.

Shaffir is mostly just like haha that lesbian oval office was fat, what a fat armless oval office amirite and it's not even... funny, even if you have a huge tolerance for rear end in a top hat humor.

I listened to his album "Revenge for the Holocaust" a few years ago and specifically remember not laughing a single time. Didn't really know who he was at the time so I wasn't biased going in, he's just not a good comedian.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Jeselnik is probably a bit of an edgelord in general but it's super clear he's playing it up to 'get it, the joke is he's being a loving sociopath out of nowhere' levels. The interviews and all he does he seems like a perfectly normal guy who clearly loved seeing the heels in wrestling and all rile up crowds. Man's got big Chris Jericho energy and seems to cultivate it.

Shaffir is just an rear end in a top hat, even if he is playing a character he's just playing this weird giddy rear end in a top hat who just wants to string together as many insults as possible. He's like the shock version of the 'you sir are a diseased twat-waffle with extra rear end in a top hat sauce' weirdos.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea Jeselnik is probably a bit of an edgelord in general but it's super clear he's playing it up to 'get it, the joke is he's being a loving sociopath out of nowhere' levels. The interviews and all he does he seems like a perfectly normal guy who clearly loved seeing the heels in wrestling and all rile up crowds. Man's got big Chris Jericho energy and seems to cultivate it.

It's possible it works better in long form. In Denver, there's a radio station that plays nothing but stand-up comedy, but usually just two minute clips from various comedians. That was where I first heard him, and I'm not sure you can pick up on an ironic persona in such small chunks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My first exposure to Ari was his series of The Amazing Racist youtube videos which were just a bunch of edgelord shittiness. I've never had much fondness from him, so I wouldn't be too bummed to never see/hear him again.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

XIII posted:

My first exposure to Ari was his series of The Amazing Racist youtube videos which were just a bunch of edgelord shittiness. I've never had much fondness from him, so I wouldn't be too bummed to never see/hear him again.

He still thinks picking up day laborers and driving to the INS office is an all-time bit.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ari's Netflix taping has been cancelled.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Remember that time Ari shaffir drugged bert kreischer with ecstacy in his own house around his kids, right before they had to go on a plane ride or something like that? And then boasted about it and laughed talking about it on Joe rogan's podcast while everyone else was staring in horror at what a complete psycho he is.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

piratepilates posted:

Remember that time Ari shaffir drugged bert kreischer with ecstacy in his own house around his kids, right before they had to go on a plane ride or something like that? And then boasted about it and laughed talking about it on Joe rogan's podcast while everyone else was staring in horror at what a complete psycho he is.

I just watched that video for the first time.

Holy poo poo.

It's pure sociopath. No remorse whatsoever. I'm legitimately shocked.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

piratepilates posted:

What in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Jeselnik is my go to example of a brilliant comedian who doesn't make me laugh. It's not my thing but I appreciate his talent.