Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

perhaps it’s unique amongst screenings in that it uses radiographic data rather than values 🤷‍♂️

its cuz nerds wanna see a tiddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haunted bong posted:

:hmmyes:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

haunted bong posted:

I don't think most nerds wanna see the *inside* of a tiddy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

animist posted:

when you’re desperate you’ll take what you can get

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

catching up with the thread

animist posted:

one other way to think about the linear stuff is just to intuit that a linear operation followed by another linear operation is linear. so, stacking linear layers, you're really only training a single linear transformation.

you don't generally have that problem with nonlinear activations by definition; that property is pretty unusual. and the algorithms can optimize through pretty much whatever operations you want, so, the nonlinearity isn't a problem. ReLU is used because it works very very well in practice (and is cheap in hardware), idk why it works so well though.

not having trained a machine ever, my cynical guess would be that if you clamp everything into a [0,1] range, then one part of a network learning a wild swing*(+500) followed by the next part learning a wild swing*(-100000) will only propagate so far and not render the whole network obviously meaningless

this doesn’t mean that a network not utilizing these nonlinearities is a bad learner

no, the problem is that the teacher teaching these wild swings is a bad teacher

or to put it another way:

animist posted:

if we could specify exactly what operation we wanted the network to do, we wouldn't need a neural network, now would we?

“if we can teach a machine to be intelligent, then we won’t have to figure out what intelligence is”

I don’t think it’s going to work like that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Artificial Intelligence Makes Bad Medicine Even Worse

Here's a better article on the issues with Google's breast cancer screening technology. tl;dr is that medicine is hard and AI is attacking the easiest part, but it's not clear that there's any value in that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's a p. good tweet.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

animist posted:

don't kinkshame

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/StatsPapers/status/1223073098066350080

I'm genuinely surprised that this wasn't all known a long time ago.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/StatsPapers/status/1223073098066350080

I'm genuinely surprised that this wasn't all known a long time ago.

plz to be summarizing

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

plz to be summarizing

thirty second takeaway is : k-fold cross validation is better than a single test/train split by a factor sqrt(k), more or less

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the whole thing is 61 pages and 274 numbered equations of inequality chasing and like gently caress im gonna read any more of it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
statisticians amirite?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

statisticians amirite?

no

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fritz posted:

thirty second takeaway is : k-fold cross validation is better than a single test/train split by a factor sqrt(k), more or less

sure

thank u for your service

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lancemantis posted:

statisticians amirite?

depends on your confidence interval

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll show you my confidence interval

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

I'll show you my confidence interval

planck time, huh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:supaburn:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/rchrdbyd/status/1227431038831468546

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

does check off all 35 of the checkboxes, yes, when can you start??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

thanks for posting my resume

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

saw spark, know he's alright :shehuck:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CS472 Data science and AI for COVID-19

Description
This project class investigates and models COVID-19 using tools from data science and machine learning. We will introduce the relevant background for the biology and epidemiology of the COVID-19 virus. Then we will critically examine current models that are used to predict infection rates in the population as well as models used to support various public health interventions (e.g. herd immunity and social distancing). The core of this class will be projects aimed to create tools that can assist in the ongoing global health efforts. Potential projects include data visualization and education platforms, improved modeling and predictions, social network and NLP analysis of the propagation of COVID-19 information, and tools to facilitate good health behavior, etc. The class is aimed toward students with experience in data science and AI, and will include guest lectures by biomedical experts.

Course Format
Class participation (20%)
Scribing lectures (10%)
Course project (70%)

Prerequisites
Background in machine learning and statistics (CS229, STATS216 or equivalent).
Some biological background is helpful but not required.

Staff
Prof. James Zou (jamesz at stanford)

Syllabus (tentative)
Date Lecture Readings/notes
April 10 Overview of COVID-19 and health systems during pandemic Nigam Shah guest
April 17 Epidemiological predictions and modeling
April 24 Infectious disease background of COVID-19 Michele Barry guest
May 1 Project proposal
May 8 ML for COVID-19 drugs Russ Altman guest
May 15 COVID-19 genomic analysis Julia Palacios guest
May 22 Project milestone presentation
May 29 NLP analysis COVID-19 information on Twitter and FB
June 5 Final demos

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really hope they post lecture notes for that. Applying ML/AI to diseases is hard and I'd love to have pointers on how to do it right.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I really hope they post lecture notes for that. Applying ML/AI to diseases is hard and I'd love to have pointers on how to do it right.

i wouldn’t hold my breath on getting that from a class some stanford prof threw together in his living room.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

gonna be taking copious notes at the "how to use ML to develop a COVID drug" lecture

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, uh, speaking as a college professor, that syllabus is garbage. maybe suitable for a graduate seminar where people already know what they're doing and all they need is a prompt. because that's all you're gonna get -- a prompt and "okay, uh, go make some stuff now." note that out of 9 class sessions, four are guest lecturers and three are student presentation days.

perfect class for a professor who wants to get something with big name recognition on his CV and do minimal work of his own. okay class if you're already up to speed and just want a topic and a work period to fart around. poo poo class if you go into it expecting to receive some sort of useful training.

e: and the two professor-led sessions are "NLP analysis" and "epidemiological modeling," both well-understood basic topics. what am quadratic curve

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 26, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

4xx at Stanford indicates an experimental graduate level class.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah by the Stanford numbering scheme that's a graduate class

e:fb

quote:

Numbering System

The first digit of a CS course number indicates its general level of difficulty:

0-99 service course for non-technical majors
100-199 other service courses, basic undergraduate
200-299 advanced undergraduate/beginning graduate
300-399 advanced graduate
400-499 experimental
500-599 graduate seminars
The ten's digit indicates the area of Computer Science it addresses:

00-09 Introductory, miscellaneous
10-19 Hardware Systems
20-29 Artificial Language
30-39 Numerical Analysis
40-49 Software Systems
50-59 Mathematical Foundations of Computing
60-69 Analysis of Algorithms
70-79 Computational Biology and Interdisciplinary Topics
90-99 Independent Study and Practicum

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sign me up for the experimental artificial language class or maybe the early graduate hardware systems class.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i love advanced undergraduate analysis of algorithms

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

4xx at Stanford indicates an experimental graduate level class.

ah well then it's probably exactly what it says on the box. "grad students, go make a thing, if you need more information here's a list of papers to read, i'll be writing grants. if you make anything cool i'm putting my name as first author"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

ah well then it's probably exactly what it says on the box. "grad students, go make a thing, if you need more information here's a list of papers to read, i'll be writing grants. if you make anything cool i'm putting my name as first author"

don’t give away the sausage factory!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

at some schools it’s like a weeder course for upperclassmen

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

pairs well with experimental artificial language

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember when my weeder class in my engineering program was 1st semester, freshman year

I still feel like I made the right decision but for the wrong reason

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i went to music school and our weeder courses were ear training and music history

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my weeder course was having to show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what kind of hosed up PI doesn't let the main grad student on the project be first author? how else will he ever graduate