Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The filmmakers wouldn't have to take a questionable approach if they had bothered to establish literally any reason to care about the targets of the Starkiller Base to begin with. If we had a viewpoint character to empathize with or just even people we know getting killed, that gets the job done. JJ resorts to Finn watching the laser fly by because he needs to in order to attach any emotion to the occasion at all.

Oh, I agree. Starkiller Base essentially pops up out of nowhere in the narrative and we're expected to care because it poorly parallels the Death Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

feedmyleg posted:

As a person who is terrible at video games, I have less than zero interest in getting killed over and over again by a bunch of racist 12 year olds in a mindless deathmatch. I want a neat interactive story with some doodads to collect between cool setpieces. I figure there's got to be as many people like me out there as there are people who just want to prove to a bunch of semi-anonymous strangers how good their fast-twitch muscle control is.
What about an open world where you can travel to dozens of basically identical planets, fight thousands of the same five enemies, and collect kyber crystals until you have millions of them and you trade them for fuel? Plus microtransactions if you want to do it all faster.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

E: oops

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A previously unknown consequence of the firing of the Starkiller Weapon was the destabilization of causality and distance.

Is someone playing with Improbability drive again?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

Oh, I agree. Starkiller Base essentially pops up out of nowhere in the narrative and we're expected to care because it poorly parallels the Death Star.

Originally, The Force Awakens was about FN joining a mission to blow up Starkiller Base, with Luke's appearance at the end being a twist.

Instead, they edited the film to remove the twist and spoil Luke's appearance in the first line of the opening crawl - just like with Palpatine. Luke Skywalker is missing! Sheev Palpatine is no longer missing! It's like poetry, etc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Halloween Jack posted:

What about an open world where you can travel to dozens of basically identical planets, fight thousands of the same five enemies, and collect kyber crystals until you have millions of them and you trade them for fuel? Plus microtransactions if you want to do it all faster.

They don’t care, don’t bother.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

2house2fly posted:

https://twitter.com/ikolism/status/1222513603087077381?s=20

This kids' book guide to episode 9 is driving me crazy, I need to see more of it

This is some Coldsteel the Hedgehog poo poo, and I loving love it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/OutofVtubers/status/1208132581507518464

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

Iirc the bounty hunters scene is important; Vader willingly puts himself among the "scum" the Empire disdains and gets on noticeably better with Boba Fett than he does with his own admirals

He gets on better with Fett because Fett is irrelevant to him in terms of being a threat. Every last one of "his admirals" would gleefully backstab if they thought they had a ghost of a chance of taking his place as the Emperor's 2IC.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Still thinking about the Sith Hood Ornament

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Everyone posted:

He gets on better with Fett because Fett is irrelevant to him in terms of being a threat. Every last one of "his admirals" would gleefully backstab if they thought they had a ghost of a chance of taking his place as the Emperor's 2IC.

Yet Fett is one of the few dudes who could actually push Vader in a fight while the admirals are force choked to death

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Vader keeps Piett alive at the end of Empire, despite Piett clearly making GBS threads his pants after the Falcon escapes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yet Fett is one of the few dudes who could actually push Vader in a fight while the admirals are force choked to death

Boba is a terrible shot and hand to hand fighter

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Vader keeps Piett alive at the end of Empire, despite Piett clearly making GBS threads his pants after the Falcon escapes.

He's preoccupied, thinking about his son. Piett got lucky

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Blood Boils posted:

Boba is a terrible shot and hand to hand fighter

Eh, we only see him fight the main characters. Of course he isn't going to have much of a body count.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsNwP_1kTZQ

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Everyone posted:

Sure, but like I alluded to before I think Vader has a level of respect for competency and skills.

In a fleeting thought he probably thinks Piett is fairly decent, follows his wishes and doesn't argue like that first admiral did with the shield generator. That obviously pissed him off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My read with Piett is that any other day, he’s dead for letting the Falcon get away there, but Vader is so shaken and out of sorts from his confrontation with Luke that he barely even notices him.

That’s the whole point- the rest of the movie shows what a normal day at the office is like for Vader, and at least for that moment at the end, he’s not in a place to go back to business as usually.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I respect your point. I look at it from a corporate perspective. Vader figures out that force choking everyone he wants would get to the point where the Star Destroyer janitor is promoted to admiral. He's a pragmatist and realizes to lay off the stuff. Sure he is distraught, probably had a fleeting thought of shitcanning Piett then realized Lando hosed him over. His own hubris on trying to make a deal then alter it was his true downfall.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Third beat in a gag. He kills Ozzel onscreen (literally), kills Needa offscreen with a one-liner, and then with Piett he can't even be bothered. Shoutout to that one engineer type that dares to turn his head and watch vader stomp off

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Fett gets owned continually through the series, culminating in one of the least ceremonious deaths in the franchise. Part of The Mandalorian existing seems to be to rehabilitate the image of Mandalorian bounty hunters, who were meant to be cool but accidentally ended up poo poo.

Mando isn’t unstoppable but he’s scrappy and resourceful, particularly if he has a bit of prep time. If they do anything with Fett in the future it’ll be exactly the same.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

well why not posted:

Fett gets owned continually through the series, culminating in one of the least ceremonious deaths in the franchise.

He's only in two fights, and he escapes one of them with everything he wanted

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cloud City barely counts as a fight. He takes some pot shots at Luke and hustles off to his ship.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Fett passes up capturing 3 of the most wanted rebels cuz he sucks. If he was so good hed capture leia and chewie

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Colostomy Bag posted:

I respect your point. I look at it from a corporate perspective. Vader figures out that force choking everyone he wants would get to the point where the Star Destroyer janitor is promoted to admiral.

IIRC it's mentioned in one of the Thrawn books that the Executor was seen as a prime posting because even though you ran the risk of getting killed by Vader if you hosed up, it also meant you were effectively on the fast-track to promotion.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Boba dies bc he wants to goof off in an opium den and then go on an impromptu boat ride. No one else is so clearly punished for horny except ben

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Boba dies bc he wants to goof off in an opium den and then go on an impromptu boat ride. No one else is so clearly punished for horny except ben

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerkface posted:

Fett passes up capturing 3 of the most wanted rebels cuz he sucks. If he was so good hed capture leia and chewie

He did. Then he turned them over to the Empire, who let them get away. Not his problem

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jango Fett got decidedly owned and it’s the same character. Respect to Boba for carrying on his dads legacy by dying on the space equivalent of a gap year

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It is the doom of each and every Mandalorian to accomplish daring deeds and face down impossible odds only to get hilariously owned in the end. Just watch the titular character of the new series end up dying because a Baby Yoda fart makes him jump and fall down one of those bottomless pits that the Star Wars galaxy is so famous for.

Sorry if I spoiled the ending of the D+ series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Mandalorians in the Clone Wars cartoon are also cool villains who get dunked on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

2house2fly posted:

He did. Then he turned them over to the Empire, who let them get away. Not his problem

the empire was already there im talking about at the end when he's fleeing with han instead of mixing it up with them. he was scared that Leia was gonna shoot him in the neck. she'd do it too

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Leia "I'm gonna shoot you in the loving neck" Organa.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only person Leia wouldnt shoot in the neck is R2D2 but only because he doesnt have one

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
She managed to strangle Jabba even though he didn’t have a neck. Now that's dedication

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Protect Ya Neck was Leia and Han's first dance song

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Barudak posted:

Protect Ya Neck was Leia and Han's first dance song

I thought it was this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nah thats how Han proposed. Way more people dancing with him in the background though, like full Bollywood number.

Id watch a 3 night ring cycle Star Wars OT or PT opera on a related note.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

well why not posted:

Fett gets owned continually through the series, culminating in one of the least ceremonious deaths in the franchise. Part of The Mandalorian existing seems to be to rehabilitate the image of Mandalorian bounty hunters, who were meant to be cool but accidentally ended up poo poo.

Mando isn’t unstoppable but he’s scrappy and resourceful, particularly if he has a bit of prep time. If they do anything with Fett in the future it’ll be exactly the same.

It's unlikely to be an accidental pattern at this point.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

General Dog posted:

That’s the whole point- the rest of the movie shows what a normal day at the office is like for Vader, and at least for that moment at the end, he’s not in a place to go back to business as usually.

It is one of my favorite subtle moments in the OT. Vader is already on the road to becoming a better person after the confrontation by "not" killing Piett, who also didn't deserve it. Vader proceeds to have one foot out the door until the very end.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Every officer in every fascist military deserves death