Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuts and Gum posted:

That’s the one. drat, I thought it was a direct port based on the trailer. They completely ripped off the old HoTD grindhouse thing :/

It doesn't really look that similar to HOTD or HOTD grindhouse?

And even if it did, HOTD ripped off the grindhouse look from the grindhouse movies, which themselves where an homage to a certain era of film,

Not really seeing why that's a bad thing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Of course they didn't come up with grindhouse, it was just the style I remember. Here's the trailer I'm referencing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcug7DvOImQ

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Inacio posted:

on my Rift S i really can't complain about screendoor. it's no DK2/Vive.
i only notice the chunky pixels, really, which granted are pretty annoying

Screen door is greatly reduced on Go and Rift S thanks to the LCD panel. It's caused by the gaps in the subpixels and the LCDs have much higher fill factors, along with having three subpixels per pixel instead of two. Until OLEDs are build specifically for the VR market (and you can only juice the fill factors so far with traditional OLED designs), LCDs will always blow OLED based HMDs out of the water on this metric.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

Screen door is greatly reduced on Go and Rift S thanks to the LCD panel. It's caused by the gaps in the subpixels and the LCDs have much higher fill factors, along with having three subpixels per pixel instead of two. Until OLEDs are build specifically for the VR market (and you can only juice the fill factors so far with traditional OLED designs), LCDs will always blow OLED based HMDs out of the water on this metric.

There is an exception, the PSVR's panel is 1080p OLED with an RGB pixel layout and punches a bit above it's weight as a result.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

There is an exception, the PSVR's panel is 1080p OLED with an RGB pixel layout and punches a bit above it's weight as a result.

Usually (although I'm not too familiar with PSVR) the TFT routing on the glass limits max fill factor for an OLED below what can be achieved with an LCD, but RGB stripe over pentile will be an improvement in subpixels structure and fill factor for sure!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just bought Pistol Whip and I'm having a weird problem -- when I get to the end of a level, it just sits there, pulsing white. There's no score or way to exit the level that I can see. Am I missing something here about how to end a level? Or is my installation just hosed up in some way?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Just bought Pistol Whip and I'm having a weird problem -- when I get to the end of a level, it just sits there, pulsing white. There's no score or way to exit the level that I can see. Am I missing something here about how to end a level? Or is my installation just hosed up in some way?

Uninstall, full reboot, reinstall. That is not correct behavior.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hadlock posted:

Uninstall, full reboot, reinstall. That is not correct behavior.

Okay, thanks. Just didn't want to go through the whole reinstall if I was just being dumb and you had to shoot at the sky or some poo poo I missed in the tutorial. I'll try a full reinstall.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Taking a break from VR gaming seems a profoundly different beast. I'm used to being bad at a game after a hiatus, but with VR I consistently come back to find that my endurance is less... but my coordination is actually better than when I quit. I'd regularly break personal records in Beat Saber after a break, and I just tried Thrill of the Fight again for the first time in multiple months (with roughly half of that time being away from VR altogether). Yeah, my endurance is lessened as expected... but my blocking and weak point consistency are way up. Before, I was playing zone defense - keeping my hands in position to catch strikes, but not specifically reacting to what the computer actually throws. Now it feels almost effortless to shift my hands in response to what the first couple opponents throw out. I'd regularly eat the vast majority of what the computer threw out at me before my break, but now it's hovering at 40% or less hit rate. It feels completely bizzare to do so much better after not practicing... except that I was donezo after just 15 minutes.

Maybe Until you Fall has just gotten me used to faster-moving characters, despite it being an arcade game compared to Thrill's simulation game. The first few opponents in Thrill are far slower than an orange knight.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 31, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Okay, thanks. Just didn't want to go through the whole reinstall if I was just being dumb and you had to shoot at the sky or some poo poo I missed in the tutorial. I'll try a full reinstall.

Nah, if you don't die it should automatically take you back to the main menu. Something's wrong :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks god for the Walking Dead VR game, because until now the 'action/adventure' genre was in pretty bad shape in the VR medium. I say this because I've been playing Apex Construct (2/3 of it played) and like Arizona Sunshine or Jouney of the Gods, the flaws overwhelm the virtues.
It's short, linear, it reuses levels and even bosses, and it does it in an uninteresting way (it isn't something like a good Metrodvania where revisiting old places can be cool), the progression is boring, the environment is mostly non-interactive, the little physics it has for a few grabbable objects are wonky, the enemy variety is very poor (80% of the whole game is the same type of robot), their AI is boring, the combat is very samey, there aren't good puzzles, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I haven't heard gamers say 'action/adventure' in like 15 years. I thought only awards shows still thought in those terms.

Sorry to nitpick but its just such a wide net, and tons of games that fit that description are wholly unlike each other.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Walking Dead game didn't grab me at all. It's very competently made game and all but boy am I sick of those generic game mechanics.

If you are aching for an "action adventure" in VR I highly recommend Stormland.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The monthly connected headsets on SteamVR's hardware stats are still climbing nicely, but the HTC Cosmos' pickup rate can best be described as "oh dear".

It's so low at 0.41% that the number might well be a rounding error. In its favour.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I looked at the hardware survey the other day and there are more DK2’s in use than Cosmos headsets.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
There's a couple threads in reddit of someone working on a GTAV VR mod. It's just been updated again, and it's a real solid experience. It's also very easy to install, you don't need to download any other lovely programs. Just keep in mind the mod doesn't use motion controls, so you still have to use a gamepad or KB+M.

Here's the link to the mod for those interested.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I looked at the hardware survey the other day and there are more DK2’s in use than Cosmos headsets.

Turns out the price of the headset's 700 price pales in comparison to setting up your VR room with 140,000 lumen 1000 wat stadium lighting fixtures, pricing most people out of buying it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The monthly connected headsets on SteamVR's hardware stats are still climbing nicely, but the HTC Cosmos' pickup rate can best be described as "oh dear".

It's so low at 0.41% that the number might well be a rounding error. In its favour.

IMO Cosmos is unappealing except in markets that steam and Oculus have poor access to, namely China. The Quest beating expectations so dramatically has made sure Cosmos is dead anywhere else (having better retail presence in Asia for a couple of months was its best hope). I would be curious about Viveport’s stats.

But yeah it was a headset with limited appeal and a narrow window of opportunity which it missed so there’s no mistaking it’s a failure.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Slayerjerman posted:

I do dislike the weight of this thing on my face/cheeks but it does fit perfect over my glasses so thats a plus. I can play for about 20+mins before my neck starts to ache though, sitting or standing.

I'd suggest a counter weight. I personally wasn't bothered by the weight but many people are, you can even grab 2 zip ties and a can of soup for a free counter weight. People can carry tons of weight on their heads if it's balanced.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

IMO Cosmos is unappealing except in markets that steam and Oculus have poor access to, namely China. The Quest beating expectations so dramatically has made sure Cosmos is dead anywhere else (having better retail presence in Asia for a couple of months was its best hope). I would be curious about Viveport’s stats.

But yeah it was a headset with limited appeal and a narrow window of opportunity which it missed so there’s no mistaking it’s a failure.

More like no appeal; It's twice the price of a Rift S or Quest with far worse tracking, and to appeal to the Vive owners as an upgrade it needs a $200USD peripheral that lands the price squarely in the range of purchasing a complete Index set. It was hosed coming and going from day one and nothing was going to save it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The Vive Pro is distributed throughout Asia and is the better buy even when it can cost a couple hundred more. There is no market in which the Cosmos makes sense, mostly because one of it's main features, the tracking, is completely and seemingly irreparably broken.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

The Vive Pro is distributed throughout Asia and is the better buy even when it can cost a couple hundred more. There is no market in which the Cosmos makes sense, mostly because one of it's main features, the tracking, is completely and seemingly irreparably broken.

Yeah I’m talking more strategy - stuff that suits should figure out long before launch or conclusive evidence that it would indeed suck - because that’s also easier to speculate about in the absence of precise/accurate sales figures.

Cosmos is cheaper therefore it should have more interest. However, it sucks. HTC had a small opportunity with a slight marketing edge even if the headset was great. It failed to take advantage of that in addition to the headset turning out to be poor quality as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yeah I’m talking more strategy - stuff that suits should figure out long before launch or conclusive evidence that it would indeed suck - because that’s also easier to speculate about in the absence of precise/accurate sales figures.

Cosmos is cheaper therefore it should have more interest. However, it sucks. HTC had a small opportunity with a slight marketing edge even if the headset was great. It failed to take advantage of that in addition to the headset turning out to be poor quality as well.

Except the Rift S and Quest are far cheaper and do the same job far better for an inside-out headset, and the Index is the better purchase for anyone already looking at a Vive Pro setup. Especially if they already have a regular Vive. HTC had squat to build on and a bad device to do it with.

It's not some hidden gem that deserves more love, it's just not good hardware by any measure and it's not hard to see why nobody's buying it.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I setup my sons Quest with SteamVR using the side loaded Virtual Desktop app and got it streaming wirelessly from the PC, this is the darkest of black magic I’ve ever witnessed with PC tech... it works so well it’s just absurd.

Then later this afternoon the Oculus link cable arrived and I’m left wondering what I even need that for anymore, lol! The wireless streaming is incredible!!

I’m in love with this drat thing!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
So I finally played rec room last night. The only people on were little kids and stoners. I trusted asking the kids how to play more than the stoners.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I finally got a Quest(and godamn was it a pain in the dick to get one). Really enjoying it though and I can play Thrill of the Fight or Beat Saber 360 levels without worrying about a tether. The controller tracking leaves something to be desired though. With my budget WMR headset I never lost track of my hands in Beat Saber but I have to be careful with the Quest or a wide swing will cause my hand to disappear. It makes me noticeably worse at expert+ levels but I don't really feel like using corded VR anymore so I'll live with it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Slayerjerman posted:

I setup my sons Quest with SteamVR using the side loaded Virtual Desktop app and got it streaming wirelessly from the PC, this is the darkest of black magic I’ve ever witnessed with PC tech... it works so well it’s just absurd.

Then later this afternoon the Oculus link cable arrived and I’m left wondering what I even need that for anymore, lol! The wireless streaming is incredible!!

I’m in love with this drat thing!

The Link cable is for when your wireless isn't working well and you can't be bothered to figure out why and you just want to shoot some zombies so you just plug it in.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except the Rift S and Quest are far cheaper and do the same job far better for an inside-out headset, and the Index is the better purchase for anyone already looking at a Vive Pro setup. Especially if they already have a regular Vive. HTC had squat to build on and a bad device to do it with.

It's not some hidden gem that deserves more love, it's just not good hardware by any measure and it's not hard to see why nobody's buying it.

You're saying this like you disagree with Doctor w-rw-rw- but then basically back him up: the product was bad and their marketing sucked, so they whiffed whatever narrow margin of opportunity might have existed. What's the disagreement? He never claimed it was a hidden gem that deserved more love.

And you keep bringing up the Index, Rift S and Quest, but Oculus and Valve hardware basically don't exist in China. If HTC couldn't manage to sell this headset in a market where their only meaningful competition is their own older headsets, that's particularly embarrassing (and deserved, considering the Cosmos itself).

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And weren't released at the time the Cosmos was being developed. And still aren't available in a market HTC has access to.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah...duh? If it were any good, they had a window of opportunity to exploit their retail presence. If it were any good, it would have more mass market appeal than the Vive Pro, largely because of its price point and portability, for that time period. At this point the only place it could possibly do well - if it were good - would be in HTC's home turf.

My point was that it was a thorough disappointment.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Slayerjerman posted:

So you just sideload Virtual Desktop to the Quest (you need the official Quest version, the desktop version is not enough, right?) and then launch pc games through VD? Does it only work with SteamVR or can you launch games from the Oculus desktop app too?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Does VD work better than ALVR? In other words,is the $20 price worth it?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Any recommendations for an on rails shooter like house of the dead or time crisis? Just straight up here is bad guys and cover to hide behind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fliptophead posted:

Any recommendations for an on rails shooter like house of the dead or time crisis? Just straight up here is bad guys and cover to hide behind.

H3VR's take-and-hold mode would probably suit you to a tee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAYtwEaxnjw

As part of this week's Alpha, Anton has done something truly horrifying; He made a 200-round ammo box for the MG42 :stare:.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yeah...duh? If it were any good, they had a window of opportunity to exploit their retail presence. If it were any good, it would have more mass market appeal than the Vive Pro, largely because of its price point and portability, for that time period. At this point the only place it could possibly do well - if it were good - would be in HTC's home turf.

My point was that it was a thorough disappointment.

Ah, fair.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

fliptophead posted:

Not on rails, but might do similar things for you potentially: Arktika.1
Shooting positions are fixed with varying cover, but there are a variety that you can teleport to.
Also has the advantage of being well made, set in the Metro universe, and looks loving great.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

fliptophead posted:

Superhot? It's a bit more than shooting, you're grabbing and throwing objects, etc, dodging bullets, but it reminded me of those in a way. It's intense.

Karlsen
Nov 9, 2004

fliptophead posted:

I haven't played it but Silicon Rising is supposed to be like Time Crisis.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

fliptophead posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Crisis VRigade, and it's only $10.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/939000/Crisis_VRigade/

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bullet Sorrow is literally Time Crisis VR and it's pretty decent.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, the Sairento VR game sure throws you on the deep end from the start! I played the tutorial, everything fine, but once I selected my first mission, I was killed in very little time. Selected a second mission, the same happened, enemies everywhere, despite me selecting what it seemed the lower tier of mission. I will try again later, but this already make me wary of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Thanks for the recs! I don't think I'm ready for H3VR just yet (still pretty uncoordinated with holding things) but will give Crisis VRigade a look. Silicon Rising looks great but not released yet!!