Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it still blows my mind to this day that the original galaxy-spanning threat that the jedi and sith had to unite to defeat in that game are the weird lumpy warrior servitor aliens (esh-kha) left over by the mysterious extinct alien race whose society was entirely devoted to producing weird plot devices (rakata)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh yeah the emperor isn't really a sith, he's actually a body-swapping spirit from the other side of the galaxy, and his children lead an invasion of robot drone battleships and conquer everyone

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's a hutt raid boss with a robot walker dais that shoots fire

if you kill him you can loot his hat

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The Edit button is a thing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

no

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pictured: the ultimate threat hanging over the galaxy in SWTOR 1.0

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

look at those arms. that guy lifts

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Siegkrow posted:

Month + ban for all edit button cowards in this sub.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Squizzle posted:

look at those arms. that guy lifts

he really shouldnt skip leg day though, he can tear a quad or two :ohdear:

also lol they're doing another "theres an even bigger enemy on the horizon" plot and it's these loving guys

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is SWTOR still subscription based?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Who What Now posted:

No it’s been free-to-play for a while now

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

yes and no. you can play F2P, you probably want to sub for a month because it gets you a bunch of permanent unlocks (including like half the game's story), and hardcore players (raiders, PVPers) have to subscribe to do those things

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
one of the universal party members anyone can get is an ewok who's primary motivation is 'hey what's the biggest thing i can kill? let's go find it.'

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cease to Hope posted:

i don't remember these guys from my inquisitor playthrough. granted most of my inquisitor playthrough was spent regretting choosing to be a sheev instead of a maul.

having to actually fight all the adds in the hallways did really get me in the mood for those dark side options to electrocute motherfuckers

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

paragon1 posted:

i don't remember these guys from my inquisitor playthrough. granted most of my inquisitor playthrough was spent regretting choosing to be a sheev instead of a maul.

having to actually fight all the adds in the hallways did really get me in the mood for those dark side options to electrocute motherfuckers

they don't have any role in the class stories!

that was another thing about SWTOR. (almost) every planet had two main plots to follow: your class's story, which was generally pretty interesting, and the planet story that every player of your faction could do. the faction stories were pretty boring, and they built up to establishing these really boring millennia-old threats that the jedi and sith were going to have to unite to fight in the endgame group content.

however, after 1.0, they stopped adding anything for the class stories.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

paragon1 posted:

Dear God why, the sorcerer was insanely great at slaughtering everything in their path in electric fury. They may be more fragile but that barely mattered considering how easy it was to kill almost everything before it reached you, the lightsaber was practically decoration more than something you worried about actually using.

quote:

having to actually fight all the adds in the hallways did really get me in the mood for those dark side options to electrocute motherfuckers.

LS Sith Inquistor just never really appealed to me like LS Sith Warrior, probably because my read on it was the Inquisitor came off as more too lazy to be evil rather than someone with nobility utterly infuriating everybody who had Sith pegged like LS Warrior. Dark side on the other hand was utterly over the top black humor which was amazing at times, especially the electrocute options. I've never really done any of the dickish options for my companions though, even the evil PCs struck me as being smart enough not to antagonize the people who knew where they slept.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imperial Agent was great, fighting the Space Illuminati and infiltrating and betraying everyone.

There was also the Republic Commando being literally Space Metal Gear.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Sith Emperor and anything related to him is straight-up fanfiction levels of garbage and the Knights of Eternal Empire/Throne/Whatever storyline sucks Gamorrean balls.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna download the game what's a cool class to play

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Who What Now posted:

jedi knight and sith warrior are the protagonists. sith inquisitor, imperial agent, and smuggler are generally considered the best class stories. jedi consular is funny if you play as dark side but not good. trooper is ridiculously out of genre as a star wars story, which would be interesting if it wasn't boring hooah claptrap. bounty hunter is some F-grade fanfiction bullcrap.

advanced classes are your actual class., in the way you'd pick warrior or mage or druid in WOW, and the republic and imperial versions of each class work similarly. commando/mercenary and guardian/juggernaut are by far the easier classes to play, while shadow/assassin and sentinel/marauder are the hardest. sage/sorcerers are basically typecast as healers outside of leveling content. every class can either tank or heal except for sentinel/marauder and gunslinger/sniper.

tldr probably roll a guardian or juggernaut.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I spent two years doing a screenshot Let's Play of this game and in a week or so I'm going to do it again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I spent two years doing a screenshot Let's Play of this game and in a week or so I'm going to do it again.

people who do lets plays as text posts and not youtube/twitch videos are the real heroes

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Who What Now posted:

Story-wise, I like Jedi Knight because it feels like the most Star Wars-y but Imperial Agent is also loads of fun.

Gameplay-wise, Trooper/BH, Agent/Smuggler and Sorc/Consular is tad boring because you are essentially a turret (some specs are a bit mobile tho).

I love melee Jedi/Sith because it feels more involved.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Galewolf posted:

Sith Emperor and anything related to him is straight-up fanfiction levels of garbage and the Knights of Eternal Empire/Throne/Whatever storyline sucks Gamorrean balls.

countpoint: the smuggler can tell the sith emperor he has a tiny dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQFwUjH7i0

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I admit, I like the Lightside Sith Warrior in SWTOR a lot.

It's just a constant series of reminders that compassion can be as powerful a motivator as anger.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I was very disappointed that there's no achievement for jumping into the sarlaac pit.

the jedi knight plot was ridiculous. Every light side character either dies or turns dark, and every dark side character either dies or turns light. Also iirc you become the new emperor, then turn lightside again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Buttchocks posted:

I was very disappointed that there's no achievement for jumping into the sarlaac pit.

there is, you even get a goofy title for it

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Cease to Hope posted:

there is, you even get a goofy title for it

Oh. There wasn't when I played. I'm glad they changed that.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imperial Agent was great, fighting the Space Illuminati and infiltrating and betraying everyone.

There was also the Republic Commando being literally Space Metal Gear.

My agent was 90% light side and was really fun. LS agent is basically the competent spy route while DS is mostly being a dick. LS empire loyalist was the best part of the game since you save the empire from ruin by the pettiness of the sith and jedi. Also rogue archetype healing was unique and fun.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Beautiful CGI movies, lovely gameplay. Like, how do you make something even MORE boring than KOTOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

I admit, I like the Lightside Sith Warrior in SWTOR a lot.

It's just a constant series of reminders that compassion can be as powerful a motivator as anger.

I love how almost NOBODY can understand them; everyone's so used to Sithy McMurder warriors that your cool pragmatism just drives them, Jedi especially, utterly insane. Definitely was more interesting that Light Side Inquisitor from what I played of it before I lost interest in TOR. The LS Warrior felt like someone with an inner honor code even if they did terrible things for the Empire, but the LS Inquisitor just came off not as some good guy but a "slacker Sith" who just found being evil to be too much work. Which was funny admittedly, but not nearly as good as the Warrior (DS Inquisitor though is rightly held up as some of the best evil PC writing around, you can eat ALL the scenery and shoot lightning cackling like a madman, and you spend a lot of your evil being mean to other evil bastards so it stays fun).

Buttchocks posted:

Oh. There wasn't when I played. I'm glad they changed that.

Think the title was "Worm Food"? Been a while. I always got it because there was a quest right around the Sarlaac and the fastest way back to town was to hop in and respawn really.