Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I always thought Scarfolk was like the British meme version of Night Vale tbh

Whatever you do, don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Spinz posted:

Sorry its Christian Science actually

sorry but until they setup an international Child Rape Absolution Factory it's still catholicism by a country mile.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Whatever you do, don't.

* Don't be one of those people who mistakes doing for not doing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry but until they setup an international Child Rape Absolution Factory it's still catholicism by a country mile.

In fairness, Catholicism has had a 2000 year head start on the Christian Scientists.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mormonism managed in a mere 200 years, though only very technically international.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Mormonism managed in a mere 200 years, though only very technically international.

Mormonism did a speedrun.

I’d say they accomplished it in twenty years.

Utah was part of Mexico at the start of the Mormon Exodus.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Whatever you do, don't.

No*

*No

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It was actually the current Buddhism thread albeit 7 years ago. It's only sporadically active so its only managed to get to 100-something pages in a full decade. It starts on page 19 I think. It starts on page 19 I think. There was a dude named "the worst thing is" who was named "Tautologicus" at the time and was pretty clearly mentally ill who attended Naropa school in Colorado. He had a lot of wrong view and misinterpretation of Buddhist doctrine like emotions are evil and the enemy and iirc he also claimed to be basically only a little bit away from being an Arahant or completely enlightened person (for non-Buddhists this is like saying your understanding of Buddhism is roughly equivalent to the Buddha himself) He was so arrogant and asinine he managed to completely rile up whats usually a really chill thread.

Somewhere in that thread is a great summary of the whole mess. It was something like, “Saying that someone isn’t a Buddhist based on something the Buddha didn’t say is an interesting argument.”

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

For more information, please reread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lifg posted:

Somewhere in that thread is a great summary of the whole mess. It was something like, “Saying that someone isn’t a Buddhist based on something the Buddha didn’t say is an interesting argument.”

My favorite waa defending a guy who broke all his vows with saying "well he came from a sheltered conservative country you cant blame him for succumbing to doing coke and having sex with white women" as a reason why breaking Buddhist vows is not a big deal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pentyne posted:

My favorite waa defending a guy who broke all his vows with saying "well he came from a sheltered conservative country you cant blame him for succumbing to doing coke and having sex with white women" as a reason why breaking Buddhist vows is not a big deal.

If you know a better way to see God do tell.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

pentyne posted:

Taking a religious vow not to have sex with white women is a bit odd.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

xcheopis posted:

Taking a religious vow not to have sex with white women is a bit odd.

yeah but who else are straight white men going to marry?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

:ughh:

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Not what but who

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not quite a saga but I chuckle at how many threads still have spooktacular name changes from like, Halloween 2018.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

This might be a deep dive or possibly originating off site but found its way here, but does anyone remember the story of that lady who lived in a cave? She was a cosplayer or a nudist or something.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Who was the goon a year or two back who had some sort of challenge where they had to praise Satan in some way in all of their posts? I can’t remember the specifics but I don’t know if they succeeded in the challenge or just stopped posting.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The Golden Gael posted:

This might be a deep dive or possibly originating off site but found its way here, but does anyone remember the story of that lady who lived in a cave? She was a cosplayer or a nudist or something.

Faye Kane

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

holy poo poo, I was expecting a fast reply -- not that fast though! thanks!

Has anyone brought up the Sarah Saga yet?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

empty baggie posted:

Who was the goon a year or two back who had some sort of challenge where they had to praise Satan in some way in all of their posts? I can’t remember the specifics but I don’t know if they succeeded in the challenge or just stopped posting.

IIRC they had to praise the seahawks in every post. I think they went along with it so long the mod in question had mercy and freed them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fool of sound posted:

IIRC they had to praise the seahawks in every post. I think they went along with it so long the mod in question had mercy and freed them.

TBH, I can see why that could be confused with praising Satan.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I forgot how sad I get reading her poo poo

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

fool of sound posted:

49ers fan May Contain Peanuts toxxed that if the Seahawks beat the 49ers in the NFC championship game they would praise the Seahawks in their next 500(?) posts. And it was awesome because there would be an earnest reply by them in a completely unrelated forum followed with a paragraph of praise for the Seahawks. Mod let him off after 100 or so posts

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Keith Atherton posted:

49ers fan May Contain Peanuts toxxed that if the Seahawks beat the 49ers in the NFC championship game they would praise the Seahawks in their next 500(?) posts. And it was awesome because there would be an earnest reply by them in a completely unrelated forum followed with a paragraph of praise for the Seahawks. Mod let him off after 100 or so posts

Also, it wasn't cut and paste nonsense. Each post had a unique statement praising the Seahawks that tied in to the post as a whole.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, it wasn't cut and paste nonsense. Each post had a unique statement praising the Seahawks that tied in to the post as a whole.

Not just praising the Seahawks, each post simultaneously also poo poo on the 49ers because otherwise it didn't count.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Keith Atherton posted:

That kind of owns, props to him actually doing it instead of taking the ban.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was loving awesome and really funny.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411101

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
To really put it into perspective, MCP made around 120 posts under the terms of the Toxx.

Even if MCP spent less than a minute on the composition of the toxx portion of each post, that's nearly two hours of labor. At the US federal minimum wage of 7.25/hr (assuming MCP did not have a higher-paying job, living in either seattle or san francisco to be a fan of either team) he would have blown past the point of sunk costs around 80 posts in.

Fulfilling the 600 posts of the original toxx, at an average of 40sec/post, would have taken 24000 seconds, or 600 minutes, or 10 hours - $72.50 of labor for a total profit of -$62.50.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He made approximately 400 of his tox posts. He only had like 200 to go.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
MCP spent
code:
((400*40)/(60*60)=44.45)-10.00=$34.50
of his own money on that bit. A generous donation.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

also it was

Keith Atherton posted:

It was actually the 7-9 Seahawks hosting the defending super bowl champs Saints in the wild card round, which made the whole toxx that much more delicious. It was clearly made in jest thinking they would never ever do it and welp beastquake happened

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tell us more.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

From what I remember of the story (not much), she was some kind of self-titled astrophysicist with a number of neurological disorders that lived in a cave and was once willingly (if not proudly) kept as someone's personal sex slave for like two weeks. A quick google search shows she's still active on no less than five websites where she still relates everything back to the above points, including on the Star Trek wikipedia. She's also been known to make very dubious claims regarding race and intelligence. The SFW pictures you'll find of her online depict her as a woman anywhere from early 20s to mid 60s, although this of course is likely because of her open online presence over the past three decades. She's an open book, quite unfortunately.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I thought Faye Kane and Faye King were both frequently used pseudonyms because of their similarity to "faking."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh so "lived in a cave" wasn't a euphemism, she actually says she lived in one at one point?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Golden Gael posted:

From what I remember of the story (not much), she was some kind of self-titled astrophysicist with a number of neurological disorders that lived in a cave and was once willingly (if not proudly) kept as someone's personal sex slave for like two weeks. A quick google search shows she's still active on no less than five websites where she still relates everything back to the above points, including on the Star Trek wikipedia. She's also been known to make very dubious claims regarding race and intelligence. The SFW pictures you'll find of her online depict her as a woman anywhere from early 20s to mid 60s, although this of course is likely because of her open online presence over the past three decades. She's an open book, quite unfortunately.

I see.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Oh so "lived in a cave" wasn't a euphemism, she actually says she lived in one at one point?

Cave may be making it sound nicer than it is, IIRC she lived in basically a hole in the ground. Or maybe she lived in a cave at one point and moved into the hole in the ground? The whole thing was so hosed up. If anyone can find the old fetlife thread she was covered pretty extensively there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Shoehead posted:

It was a cave, yes. I can't find any pictures right now, but one of the anecdotes she apparently offered about her experience was that it reeked of piss because she never once changed the bedding she slept on in there.

I remember the "faye kane = faking" thing was brought up back then too, but apparently brushed off. If this is a troll it's extremely elaborate and actually downright hosed up, almost more than if it isn't.