Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Can ships in hyperspace make turns en route or is it all strictly straight-line?

Are there other forms of FTL in Star Wars, artificial or natural (e.g. fold jumps, wormholes, etc) or is hyperdrive the only known method?

Why are they called "concussion missiles" and where did the term actually originate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Can ships in hyperspace make turns en route or is it all strictly straight-line?

Are there other forms of FTL in Star Wars, artificial or natural (e.g. fold jumps, wormholes, etc) or is hyperdrive the only known method?

Why are they called "concussion missiles" and where did the term actually originate?

check the gree thread for another ftl modality!!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think that faster than light travel in star wars is all straight line or else it would be far less important to calculate your entire route prior to jumping. Ideally just knowing your not going to hit anything for the first twenty minutes should be fine if you have a working computer.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think it would have been funny if, during the lightspeed skipping scene in ros two ships flew in front towing a giant sheet of glass between them

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
According to Star Trek: Voyager, "Faster than Light? No left or right!"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

cuntman.net posted:

i think it would have been funny if, during the lightspeed skipping scene in ros two ships flew in front towing a giant sheet of glass between them

hahaha

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Who What Now posted:

According to Star Trek: Voyager, "Faster than Light? No left or right!"

star trek isnt star wars, noob

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

cuntman.net posted:

God drat that scene sucked so hard

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Abongination posted:

God drat that scene sucked so hard

Really now, they just suddenly started doing something well outside of what Star Wars FTL technology is established to be capable of, with no explanation whatsoever. That's a pretty significant no-no with quality science fiction.

At least in "The Force Awakens", Han actually explains that dropping out of lightspeed inside a planet's atmosphere is dangerous and stupid, but their only real option for getting inside the shield protecting Starkiller Base.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Really now, they just suddenly started doing something well outside of what Star Wars FTL technology is established to be capable of, with no explanation whatsoever. That's a pretty significant no-no with quality science fiction.

At least in "The Force Awakens", Han actually explains that dropping out of lightspeed inside a planet's atmosphere is dangerous and stupid, but their only real option for getting inside the shield protecting Starkiller Base.

i have no idea what the "rules" are and thought it was stupid crap, it was just people yelling back and forth

"YOU CANT DO THIS"
"IM DOING THIS!"
"YOU CANT DO THIS"
"IM DOING THIS!"
"YOU CANT DO THIS"
"IM DOING THIS!"
"YOU CANT DO THIS"
"IM DOING THIS!"
"YOU CANT DO THIS"
"IM DOING THIS!"

and then they did it and get back to the base and are told you cannot do that, but indeed, they had done it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also didn't Han jump to Lightspeed from inside another ship in TFA?

Maybe he was having an issue with suicidal ideation; or maybe JJ is just a hack who doesn't actually care about the thin grasp on the science part of science fiction in Star Wars. Saying that..

I mean midchlorians am I rite

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

how do you say to kuat

koo at

or

quat

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
coo-ought

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What is Star Wars ~*spice*~ supposed to do? Like is it a narcotic, or what?

Is it actually illegal or was the smuggling just to get around taxes?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

It made you so high you could read people's minds and poo poo

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Glitterstim was a potent variety of the drug family "spice" that was mined on Kessel. It gave the user a brief, yet pleasurable, telepathic boost and heightened mental state. It was a very valuable spice and tightly controlled by the Galactic Empire.

It was produced from the webs of spice spiders. The spice was photoactive, so it had to be mined in total darkness or it would be ruined. After it was mined, it had to be packaged in an opaque paper to prevent accidental activation. Glitterstim was quite addictive—casual use could quickly lead to full-blown addiction. "Cutters" prepared the spice for sale. Glitterstim addicts were sometimes called "glit-biters."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

Glitterstim was a potent variety of the drug family "spice" that was mined on Kessel. It gave the user a brief, yet pleasurable, telepathic boost and heightened mental state. It was a very valuable spice and tightly controlled by the Galactic Empire.

It was produced from the webs of spice spiders. The spice was photoactive, so it had to be mined in total darkness or it would be ruined. After it was mined, it had to be packaged in an opaque paper to prevent accidental activation. Glitterstim was quite addictive—casual use could quickly lead to full-blown addiction. "Cutters" prepared the spice for sale. Glitterstim addicts were sometimes called "glit-biters."

that sounds fuckin awesome

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Glitterstim is a kickass word.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Mooey Cow posted:

neat, so it's like Dust from Babylon 5

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

now that i finished the article in the gree thread (still open for discussion tho!!) would anyone be interested in a similar thread for the article on the spice-mining prison planet of sevarcos ii??

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes please

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Squizzle posted:

now that i finished the article in the gree thread (still open for discussion tho!!) would anyone be interested in a similar thread for the article on the spice-mining prison planet of sevarcos ii??

hell yeah buddy do it up!

Mooey Cow posted:

very informative, thank you!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How come X-Wings and Y-Wings need astromech droids, but A-Wings and B-Wings don't?

Are there are other -Wings that require astromech droids?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

How come X-Wings and Y-Wings need astromech droids, but A-Wings and B-Wings don't?

Star wars galaxy had its Tomagatchi years between episodes 1-4 and basically every ship had an astromech or 10.
By the time ESB rolled around everyone remembered you could do hyperspace calculations on the equivalent of a space TI-83 and the droid was superfluous but by then the droids and fighters are just laying around everywhere and the Rebellion has about maxed out Leia's dad's Amex

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Could you build a giant lightsaber and attach it to the bow of a ship and ram other ships with it? Or would the shields block the lightsaber?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Could you build a giant lightsaber and attach it to the bow of a ship and ram other ships with it? Or would the shields block the lightsaber?

Lightsabers evolved from blaster technology and are as such blocked by energy shields. This can be seen at least once in the movies when Darth Maul taps one of those red force fields with his blade and it shorts out or something.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

A-Wings and B-Wings had navicomputers built in (being newer ships), X-Wings and Y-Wings didn't and so needed the R2s to calculate hyperspace jumps.

I think E-Wings had astromechs too because pilots disliked not having them on board to provide repairs and someone to talk to on long flights. No idea about the K-Wing, but that thing was so big I wouldn't be surprised if it had one just as a backup or something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

I think that faster than light travel in star wars is all straight line or else it would be far less important to calculate your entire route prior to jumping. Ideally just knowing your not going to hit anything for the first twenty minutes should be fine if you have a working computer.

I think it's the opposite. If it was just as simple as pointing ship and checking the star charts to see if there's anything in the way, it'd be dead simple. Actually charting a path is more math intensive if it's bendy.

Also that would mean you'd be dropping in and out of hyper to go around obstacles.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I don't think it's even really a new/old thing. A built-in navigational computer can chart hyperspace jumps, but a droid can get out and do other things on top of that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The R2 unit fulfills the same role as a ship's cat.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Droids are just computers shaped like square people.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can't remember, are there multiple Nebulon-B frigates seen in the movies? Or is there just "the medical frigate" and then the EU/games turned it into a prolific class of starship?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

I can't remember, are there multiple Nebulon-B frigates seen in the movies? Or is there just "the medical frigate" and then the EU/games turned it into a prolific class of starship?

There's at least two in RotJ in the same shot.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I watched a cut of the Battle if Endor on YouTube, and I don’t think they changed it on re-release. The Rebel fleet looked like mostly Hoth transports in the final shot of ships heading away from the Death Star. The Death Star blows up a winged and a non-winged Mon Calamari Cruiser, and after we see a winged one still kicking and two non-winged ones in the same shot a few times. A few Corellian Corvettes are sprinkled around. I’m not sure I saw a second Nebulon-B Frigate.

Re: thread title: In the EU it is understood that you can’t enter hyperspace in a planet’s gravity well and an Imperial Interdictor mimics this. Those ships re-entered canon in the Star Wars: Rebels cartoon, but the JJ Abrams films poo poo all over this despite being released at about the same time and oh god why is my brain this way.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 15, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

Re: thread title: In the EU it is understood that you can’t enter hyperspace in a planet’s gravity well and an Imperial Interdictor mimics this. Those ships re-entered canon in the Star Wars: Rebels cartoon, but the JJ Abrams films poo poo all over this and oh god why is my brain this way.

You could do it, but it was dangerous and unpredictable what would happen. It was a safety feature of the hyperdrive to drop out or refuse to engage if it detected a gravity well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you go charging around in hyperspace without any coordinates, weird poo poo can happen and you'll find yourself some place weird probably without any way to ever get back to known space.

There's a reason why there's so many weird unknown corners of the galaxy that people can just hide in. Even bits that have been explored can just be forgotten over time and just be a weird little secret. I think there was another story where people going into hyperspace without coordinates found themselves in an alternate dimension full of angry bug people. Hyperspace is dangerous to mess around in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

You could do it, but it was dangerous and unpredictable what would happen. It was a safety feature of the hyperdrive to drop out or refuse to engage if it detected a gravity well.

why wouldnt you bypass the safety if you knew that it was just a fake gravity well from an imperial ship trying to catch you, tho??

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

why wouldnt you bypass the safety if you knew that it was just a fake gravity well from an imperial ship trying to catch you, tho??

You could, pretty sure Luke does something like that in that Thrawn book when he escapes from an Interdictor. But it was super dangerous, .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you go charging around in hyperspace without any coordinates, weird poo poo can happen and you'll find yourself some place weird probably without any way to ever get back to known space.

There's a reason why there's so many weird unknown corners of the galaxy that people can just hide in. Even bits that have been explored can just be forgotten over time and just be a weird little secret. I think there was another story where people going into hyperspace without coordinates found themselves in an alternate dimension full of angry bug people. Hyperspace is dangerous to mess around in.