Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, man they really are embracing Star Citizen roadmap strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Where am I supposed to game if the library burns down?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Escape Goat posted:

Where am I supposed to game if the library burns down?
On your $150 Chromebook.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Stadia not having Pre-orders at the moment must be a publishers wet dream, being able to announce just a day before release.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you really think getting your game on after losing all your worldly possessions in a fire is a priority, then keep $250 saved up so you can buy a replacement PS4 at a moment's notice. . Just redownload smaller games at first and work your way up to the big chunguses (chungi?). If internet is hard to come by (in which case loving laffo Stadia's not going to do poo poo) then just go to your nearest pawn shop and buy a single player game that's 2+ years old for like $10, there's guaranteed to be a couple.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lmao

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They’ve specified elsewhere that they mean ten timed Stadia exclusives but it’s hilarious that this isn’t even the first time they’ve hosed up that messaging.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^ edit: if they mean timed exclusives, they should be able to say what the games are. unless they don't actually have signed deals yet, and they're just "targeting" 10 exclusives. if that's the case they really are doing the star citizen thing of marketing based on wishful thinking.

Khablam posted:

Well google sure cut down their estimates quickly.

big yikes. Even when they're down to 10 games it's still not a promise, just "targeting". Yeah everyone has stopped work on stadia ports.

So here's a funny thing: that tweet made me think "I wonder if they're gonna run out of games to give away for free?" Keeping in mind that some games like RDR2 are just a strict no for inclusion, because 2K would deny it or at least demand full price for each conversion. The answer I came to is no, they're fine for at least 5 months on the current line-up but month 6 will be tricky.

But to figure that out I needed the list of games currently on stadia, not the stadia store's list that prominently shows games that haven't launched yet. And what do you know, when you try to google this the entire first page of results for anything Stadia-related are all either google or random android websites, all of which show the "complete" list. Normal video game news sites don't show up until page 2.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 1, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

They’ve specified elsewhere that they mean ten timed Stadia exclusives but it’s hilarious that this isn’t even the first time they’ve hosed up that messaging.
The epic exclusives have, as far as anyone knows and based on a few devs intonating such, performance metrics attached. i.e. Epic guarantee they'll sell x-copies on top of a one-time fee for the exclusive. If their store shits the bed and they only sell 50k copies of a guaranteed 250k, Epic cut [company] a cheque for the 200k missing sales.

It should be no surprise then when Google look at 5000 players from not many more sales on many titles, their ability/willingness to sign a deal on any of their "promised" exclusives is going to look a lot like "actually just hand [company] $x million dollars for no real reason".

Google are no doubt at the "do we piss money up a wall on this?" stage already.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

If Doom 2016 isn't a free pro game for March, someone needs to be fired

Now with that said, I'm 99.9% certain that Doom 2016 Will be out in March and be a free pro game BUT if that doesn't happen, someone dropped the ball BIG TIME considering it's the same month Doom Eternal comes out.

Have Doom 2016 on March 1st for free, people play it and get hyped for Doom eternal just three weeks later. No brainer

quote:

Ever since it missed launch, I've assumed that is exactly what's going to happen. It just makes too much sense.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Or make people pay full price because they're deluded cultists who will?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what's the theory for why doom isn't out yet?

e:something cropped up before the stadia launch, and id can't commit any resouces to fixing it since they're busy with doom eternal?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Duh it's so they can give it away for free before Eternal is out, which totally will be out on Stadia the same month!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rinkles posted:

e:something cropped up before the stadia launch, and id can't commit any resouces to fixing it since they're busy with doom eternal?

My guess is there's some issue with input lag in the engine they can't eliminate on Stadia, as demonstrated by Wolfenstein: Youngblood's extra bad input lag on Stadia compared to other games.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol its only going to get worse when the new generation starts in earnest and devs have to spend more man hours trying to get them to work on stadia while also dedicating more dev time on learning to get the new consoles to work best. Its going to be an absolute shitshow

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Have they guaranteed that eternal will be out on stadia at the same time as other platforms? Because I bet delaying the whole release while chasing input issues on a platform nobody uses won't be a very popular idea

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My guess is there's some issue with input lag in the engine they can't eliminate on Stadia, as demonstrated by Wolfenstein: Youngblood's extra bad input lag on Stadia compared to other games.

it was like their flagship title when they were previewig their tech

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How long till the reddit argues that google is simply taking the no mans sky approach to development where they dont communicate anything but are diligently working on things and not really just winding things down to take it to the grave?

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Khablam posted:

Well google sure cut down their estimates quickly.

20 games?? what do you need 10 games for? fine, here's 5 games, as Doom 2016 becomes their only game of 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pyrus Malus posted:

20 games?? what do you need 10 games for? fine, here's 5 games, as Doom 2016 becomes their only game of 2020

Bring us back $15 in change for the subscription!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Those demos were insanely controlled.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why would they spend just one working day porting Doom 2016 when they have a game that'll actually shift copies in development?
The game running on a test setup means very little (see: PCs running XBox games every E3 et al).

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

As my house crumbles before me, a memorial of flames and ashen sorrow, all I wonder is what any pixel blooded gamer would...

Where, oh where, will I resume my rear end Creed game!?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, and it's not out yet, and WS:YB is and plays like poo poo. Clearly something between those demos and now something changed, or it only worked well in a very controlled environment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I was pissed it took more than 15 minutes for my house to burn to the ground so I couldn't resume.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The next 2 free games get announced soon so while we wait

quote:

A first I was a sceptic...

I was totally sceptical about Stadia and decided against buying the FE at launch but was lucky enough to pick up a buddy code on one of the threads on here - I’m on a long work trip and extremely bored/missing some decent gaming. Checked the hotel Wi-fi and it’s pulling decent speeds so thought it was worth a go on my work laptop (standard Dell i7, no graphics) and I am MINDBLOWN! I just dipped into Destiny 2 and had a quick spin around - there was lag (like console games can do when playing online) but overall I hardly noticed any input lag from my standard work issue Dell wireless mouse. This has totally changed my weekend - now to purchase FM20 - already have it on Steam and it runs OK but pretty hot/slow on my MBP at home. I know this is a little slow on the uptake but totally sold on the potential and definitely won’t invest in a gaming laptop/pc now!

quote:

Have you ever had a job where you rely on information and confirmation by others inside your company?
Imagine those "others" being outside of your company, having a ton of different projects going on and serving a market that openly despises both rushed launches and delays.
Stadia not having Pre-orders at the moment must be a publishers wet dream, being able to announce just a day before release.
Google could push more, but at the same time they're at the mercy of what info they're given and allowed to publish. It's probably a cirkle jerk of communication that we're not seeing.
I get the frustration though. I too want more or newer games and announcements.

quote:

It's easier to develop a niche game than a AAA title. You can certainly bet that of the 10 exclusives this first half of the year, any that are Stadia-first (designed for Stadia before looking at any other platform) and not just timed exclusive are going to be smaller scale games. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be any less great - one could say Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, et al fit into the category of smaller scale phenoms but that does mean we should not expect a Q1/Q2 "God of War" or "Halo" out of Stadia.

I think we will get our Mario on Stadia, but I would put it into next year. Tequila Works indicated they started prototyping Gylt with Stadia more than two years ago, so if they were one of the first to get their hands on the system which was still very much in development and Gylt was the end product after two years, that's a good sign that more established studios that started, say, last year will end up rolling out top tier Stadia-firsts 2-3 years later.

As for me, I'm going to be fascinated to see what the flagship(s) of Stadia end up being because they're going to be designed to leverage the unique aspects of Stadia in ways we've never seen in games before. If they come from SGE, they'll have been designed from the ground up for Stadia. But also at some point, presumably, the Stadia team handed a powerhouse studio like EA or Bethesda or Ubisoft the keys to the technical Maserati that is Stadia and said, "Let's go build a track." That's gonna be fun to see.

quote:

If Doom 2016 isn't a free pro game for March, someone needs to be fired

Now with that said, I'm 99.9% certain that Doom 2016 Will be out in March and be a free pro game BUT if that doesn't happen, someone dropped the ball BIG TIME considering it's the same month Doom Eternal comes out.
Have Doom 2016 on March 1st for free, people play it and get hyped for Doom eternal just three weeks later. No brainer

quote:

Or a person could get Doom’d fatigue and skip the new game. I don’t think it’s a no brainer.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

leftist heap posted:

Not only that but very little footage seems to ever have been captured from those GDC demos. I found a couple of minutes of off-screen GameSpot footage (which had microstutters) and not much else. To be fair, the setup was just a demo booth with a line and sessions seemed to be kept short.

Only a single level of arcade mode was playable and it sounds like it was more "proof of concept" than "we have the entire game basically ported over". Not everyone had a great time - as Game Informer put it:

Imran Khan posted:

More to the point, I was missing shots, and it was initially difficult to time melee hits against enemies. It's not that the input lag makes Doom unplayable, but it makes it harder, and it makes you worse at the game. It's the kind of thing that would make you reboot your console and check your TV settings.

The Doom Eternal demo that came later was apparently more responsive. It's possible that there's just some fundamental issue with Doom 2016 (the two games run on different versions of id Tech; Doom 2016 was initially built on scraps from Rage) that's kept it from being considered fit for release. That or Google/Bethesda are deliberately keeping it out of people's hands for scheduling reasons. Those seem like the only two options.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

leftist heap posted:

Given all the bullshots typical to game reveals and such, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought servers to the venue.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Hi,

I work in the video game industry and I have already played or owned most of the offered catalog. I mostly bought Stadia to test it, as I collect gaming hardware as a hobby. What follows is a personal opinion.

I think Stadia is on the right track to make AAA gaming, even gaming, mainstream. But it has a loooong way to go to get there.

Bringing in the gaming enthusiasts or hardcore gamers with the current content is difficult, I wish more studios would enable actual cross-platform gaming AND progression. I have already put several hours in the Tomb Raider trilogy on PC, allow me to pick up where I left off! I don't want to start over...

I could play some Stadia games at lunch break or during commute and come back to the PC or console... If the kids or the significant other need the bandwidth to watch something, with my current connection, I can't play at the same time (it's a 400 mbps connection, hybrid cable and fiber). And yes, my router has a custom firmware that handles QoS, it's usually not an issue with regular gaming, but Stadia takes its toll.

Let me play wherever I want, and I might stick to Stadia when the infrastructure allows it. It doesn't involve Stadia alone, the publishers, the studios should be allowed by the first parties to enable this cross progression feature, as most of the industry is going towards a form of streaming anyway.

If the walled gardens become a thing of the past, every success will be content driven. That's why we're all here for, right? Play games!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think Stadia is on the right track to make AAA gaming, even gaming, mainstream.

:confused:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Perhaps some day not too far in the future playing games will become a socially acceptable pastime. One can dream.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

I think Stadia is on the right track to make AAA gaming, even gaming, mainstream.

:confused:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I guess part of what I don't get is if I have an internet/wifi connection and I'm out and about I'd rather just play stuff on my phone. If I don't have an internet connection and I'm out and about I'd play my switch (if I had one, anyway). If I have time to relax and I'm at home then I probably have time to wait on a PC or console download. The only real case for this is if I were, say, in a hotel somewhere and really wanted to game, or something? I don't know. I'd be satisfied with my lovely non-AAA phone games tbh but oh well.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I would like to take a minute to talk about the technical side of Stadia (and a brief, unhinged, segway on the future of gaming)

So my wife signed me up for Stadia for fathers day because I am not a big game player at this phase in my life, I am a pretty big google fanboy.

So I'm not going to stand here and tell you that Stadia, specifically, is the future or that Stadia will even be around in 5 years. But there is one thing that I can say, and needs to be said.

It actually works. That is goddamned amazing. It works on the 80$ dongle on my TV, it works on my POS 5 year old Dell XPS and it works on my wife's 300$ chrome book. (it technically works on my pixel 3a but I've never been desperate enough to try it)

and in all of the these instances it works very very well. I've had problem with lag once in destiny 2 and never Mortal Kombat ( mean I get no sound in the fights on the surround sound but what ever)

but it works, and it works on devices that were never, ever, meant to handle processes like this.

-The Segways-

I always knew this was a beta release because google projects never leave beta

Thinking outside the box for a minute, Stadia, or the architecture that supports it will wholey change industries. 6000$ desktops to run rendering software or CAD. Gone

The Lack of local installation seems like the most absurd reason to throw a hissy fit. I also don't expect it to be permanent. You know what's not hard in comparison to running lag free server side FPS and fighting games? letting people download install files.

Finally, people are loving morons, this was never going to be the netflx of games, it was never advertised that way there's no reason to think it was. It was always a cloud platform for gaming and it loving works

What would I like to see

I want to see a goddamned war game. I want to see Day of Defeat (I'm dating myself) with 300 person games and huge rear end maps.

Also this is my first reddit post, I think we can all agree it was great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

segway

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quote:

Thinking outside the box for a minute, Stadia, or the architecture that supports it will wholey change industries. 6000$ desktops to run rendering software or CAD. Gone

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My God, he just invented VDI! Someone better tell all those companies involved in desktop virtualization to call it in. It's over.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ah! I see you're looking at my Chromecast dongle. Truly, it is the crown jewel of my gaming hardware collection.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Communist Walrus posted:

Ah! I see you're looking at my Chromecast dongle. Truly, it is the crown jewel of my gaming hardware collection.

And here’s my collection of retro systems [Chromecasts that don’t get updates anymore].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine being a Google fanboy.