Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What's the likely plot anyway?

1 was about vietnam vets and some were cops and some were druglords

2 was about racism and revenge

3 was about racism and corruption

4 was about immigration and family

5 will be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

I thought the other lead got fired for being a huge rear end in a top hat that everyone hated.

Reportedly both of them were constantly fighting with one incident caught on tape where they shouted swears at each other. There were conflicting reports from crew members as to which was worse.

Basically from what I've read was that Clayne Crawford (the other lead) was a perfectionist with a temper while Wayans was a prima dona who acted like he was too good for the show and refused to do anything but the bare minimum while constantly making demands.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wayans's excuse for wanting to quit was that he was too old for this poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you want to see a Wayans brother in an action movie might I suggest Most Wanted, 1997. A thoroughly ridiculous movie but wonderful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wayans's excuse for wanting to quit was that he was too old for this poo poo.

He was actually ten or so years older than Danny Glover when he made the first Lethal Weapon film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

got any sevens posted:

Dang now i wanna watch Maverick again. Such a fun film

It's one of those films where if I'm flipping through channels and hit it, I'll just watch it through to the end. I think it was on HBO a lot.

Not that I ever flip through channels anymore. It takes much longer these days for some reason.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

If you want to see a Wayans brother in an action movie might I suggest Most Wanted, 1997. A thoroughly ridiculous movie but wonderful.

I remember enjoying Blankman, but I haven't reviewed it in 20 years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lethal weapon 5 should just be them shooting Russian, Turkish, Saudi and Americans claiming “diplomatic immunity!!!”

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Lethal weapon 5 should just be them shooting Russian, Turkish, Saudi and Americans claiming “diplomatic immunity!!!”

They're all played by Joss Ackland, who is surprisingly still alive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Young Freud posted:

They're all played by Joss Ackland, who is surprisingly still alive.

For all his racism, Mel Gibson insisted that joss learn impeccable Russian, Turkish, and Arabic. The American is way too over the top though

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

And one of those is going to specifically be the worst movie ever, if he keeps his promise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe Netflix hopes it might buffer overrun into something brilliant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Like the one that pissed off the native Americans

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Maybe they can finally explain what/who the lethal weapon is, and why they call it lethal even though we are up to movie #5.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe they can finally explain what/who the lethal weapon is, and why they call it lethal even though we are up to movie #5.

big reveal: Metal Gear?!?!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Or you could watch the Last Boy Scout which is actually good.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It would have been really funny if Uncut Gems had the Happy Madison imprint on it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pospysyl posted:

It would have been really funny if Uncut Gems had the Happy Madison imprint on it.

Considering that a bunch of people went to this expecting Happy Gilmore or The Waterboy and getting hit full force that it isn't anything like that, it would have been great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I really do not get why Netflix is giving him tens of millions of dollars. Nobody is subscribing or keeping their sub because the new Sandler joints are on it. The money would be better spent on licensing shows or movies.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Groovelord Neato posted:

I really do not get why Netflix is giving him tens of millions of dollars. Nobody is subscribing or keeping their sub because the new Sandler joints are on it. The money would be better spent on licensing shows or movies.

I think apart from Sony, every other global media company is trying to reel in their shows and movies for their own service. It's why Seinfeld (licensed by Sony) is going to Netflix while the Office U.S. (licensed by NBCUniversal) is coming off Netflix in the next year or so.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Didn't one of his recent movies hit one of Netflix's all time high viewer counts? Of course that stuff is all on Netflix's hearsay, since they never release numbers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't believe it but they claimed Ridiculous 6 was the most viewed thing on Netflix.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Davros1 posted:

I'm older than Danny Glover was when he was getting too old for this poo poo

I got curious so I looked this up. Glover was 40 when the first one was made but played a 50 year old, thus I also am older than Glover but not older than Murtaugh when he was too old for this poo poo. Gibson was 30 but played a 38 year old Riggs. Currently Glover is 73 and Gibson 64 (his birthday is in January so he already had it this year, Glover's is in July)

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Considering Netflix has viewing data and complex algorithms to review viewing habits, I believe you’re probably mistaken. Like you, I’d much rather watch something else though!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't believe it but they claimed Ridiculous 6 was the most viewed thing on Netflix.

you have far too much faith in the american people if you don't believe that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ghostwritingduck posted:

Considering Netflix has viewing data and complex algorithms to review viewing habits, I believe you’re probably mistaken. Like you, I’d much rather watch something else though!

Companies don't always make the best decisions.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

I got curious so I looked this up. Glover was 40 when the first one was made but played a 50 year old, thus I also am older than Glover but not older than Murtaugh when he was too old for this poo poo. Gibson was 30 but played a 38 year old Riggs. Currently Glover is 73 and Gibson 64 (his birthday is in January so he already had it this year, Glover's is in July)
LW completely threw me off and I went through life thinking Glover was a decade older than he actually is.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Companies don't always make the best decisions.

That’s true and the original Sandler deal could have been a huge mistake. The fact they are extending it suggests that the first deal was successful for them though. Choosing to pay him more money for more movies that have a pattern of not attracting users goes beyond the typical bad decisions companies can fall into.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Oh wow, people are sure going to line up to see way-past retirement cops. I mean, the only saving grace is if they use "Too Old For This 5hit" as the tagline or subtitle.

I mean, they're still going to be doing this: Gibson's trying to worm his way back to Hollywood's good graces and Glover still trying to make that Toussaint L'Ouverture biopic that he's been in every sort of movie from Jumanji 2 to Bad rear end 2" Bad Asses

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 1, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boring boomer dads need action movies, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pigbuster posted:

And one of those is going to specifically be the worst movie ever, if he keeps his promise.

I am a little curious what an effortful bad movie of his would be.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Boring boomer dads need action movies, too.
That’s what Denzel is for, thank you :mad:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I am a little curious what an effortful bad movie of his would be.

A shot for shot remake of The Day the Clown Cried

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Young Freud posted:

Bad rear end 2" Bad Asses

That reminds me, I need to catch up with this one when it comes back to Redbox...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Grendels Dad posted:

At the risk of trap sprung, this was explained in the first movie. It's Riggs and his being ex-special forces in Vietnam (and probably his rampant PTSD too) and was done via title call out with Murtaugh's line "So what are you some kinda lethal weapon?" in the parking garage as they head to the car.

I plowed through the first 3 and enjoyed them, but haven't even worked up the guts to pop 4 into the DVD player. Has something to do with the thought I had that every time I started the next sequel the shoe was doing to drop and THIS would be the irredeemable trash fire one. It now feels like 5 will be that trash fire I've been dreading the whole time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

4 is odd, but not really too bad. It does feel pretty out of place among the rest of them. It's also Jet Li's first American movie.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 2, 2020

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

istewart posted:

That reminds me, I need to catch up with this one when it comes back to Redbox...

I probably should have brought up Bad Asses In The Bayou.

Really, the point is that Glover will do anything for money to divert to his production company, L'Ouverture Films, to produce things he actually wants to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah 4 isn't great but for the most part works and has a pretty ridiculous/fun car chase too. But it also has the like Chekhov's Affirmations subplot where they talking about willing stuff to happen early on and then during the film's climax Murtaugh wills Riggs to be recovered and okay.

The flame thrower guy they go after in the beginning, was that meant as an homage to Exterminator 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember when 4 was coming out Gibson saying how like they were all too old for this poo poo now and how that was to be the final one and it would be a total joke to consider doing a 5th one because they'd be even older by the time it got made.