Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Our little bundle of poop is arriving in about a month and we're looking for a self-sealing diaper bin/garbage pail. We live in an apartment where there's no place to put diaper bins outside, so we need something that seals completely. Any recommendations?

I could also post this in the parenting thread if this is the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Afriscipio posted:

Our little bundle of poop is arriving in about a month and we're looking for a self-sealing diaper bin/garbage pail. We live in an apartment where there's no place to put diaper bins outside, so we need something that seals completely. Any recommendations?

I could also post this in the parenting thread if this is the wrong place.

Ymmv, but I’ve found that using a smaller open-air/loosely covered pail and taking it out more frequently kept smell in check much better than letting diapers stew in an airtight container. Unless a critter or other child might get into the pail, having a bit of airflow keeps it from getting too ripe between frequent changes.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Is there any alternative to wearing a bra all night with breast pads if breastfeeding? I HATE wearing a bra all the time but don't know what else to do now that my milk is in and I'm leaking all over the place.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

boquiabierta posted:

Is there any alternative to wearing a bra all night with breast pads if breastfeeding? I HATE wearing a bra all the time but don't know what else to do now that my milk is in and I'm leaking all over the place.

Not really, but with any luck your milk supply will stabilize in the next couple weeks and you won’t leak at night anymore.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I just slept on a towel. Throwing a towel in the wash was less annoying than bras for me

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I just laid out a towel for sleeping. Like you, hate night bra.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I slept with pillowcases over my pregnancy pillow and they seemed to catch most of the overflow. While breastfeeding in bed, in the beginning I used a haakaa on the boob that my baby wasn’t nursing on to catch the extra, but as my body got used to volume control, I just use a receiving blanket on the opposite boob. I’m eight months PP and I still leak at night, but not hardly as much as in the beginning.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

boquiabierta posted:

I wore a bra all the time but I had looser nighttime ones that were pretty comfy. They were cheap from amazon.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Well today’s my due date and still no baby. I know that only 5% of babies are born on due dates though. I’m just so uncomfortable at this point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Well today’s my due date and still no baby. I know that only 5% of babies are born on due dates though. I’m just so uncomfortable at this point.

I wanted to ask and know that it's one of the worst goddamn things you can ask a pregnant person.

Good luck, both of ours were late and it was frustrating.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I wanted to ask and know that it's one of the worst goddamn things you can ask a pregnant person.

Good luck, both of ours were late and it was frustrating.

Thanks, silvergoose. I really though that after what happened Christmas Eve with contractions that she would come early. I guess she’s just very comfortable making me very uncomfortable.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
There's a nice probability density interactive widget of the likelihood of spontaneous labor by your due date, if this makes you feel any better. When I was at the end of pregnancy I would not only reassure myself with it, but also reply to meeting invites with the probability that I could attend given the invite date because I am a completely insufferable nerd (and I ended up having a scheduled C-section anyway).

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

take me to the beaver posted:

There's a nice probability density interactive widget of the likelihood of spontaneous labor by your due date, if this makes you feel any better. When I was at the end of pregnancy I would not only reassure myself with it, but also reply to meeting invites with the probability that I could attend given the invite date because I am a completely insufferable nerd (and I ended up having a scheduled C-section anyway).

That’s actually a really cool tool. Thanks for sharing it!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Aw. Mine was a couple (veeeery long) days late. It’s really uncomfortable, but you’re almost there. Is your Dr. scheduling anything for you so you have an end date regardless?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Aw. Mine was a couple (veeeery long) days late. It’s really uncomfortable, but you’re almost there. Is your Dr. scheduling anything for you so you have an end date regardless?

I honestly have no idea. We switched to a new hospital about 2 weeks ago, so I’m not sure what their typical protocol is. I’m assuming they won’t let me go too long due to being over 35. I see the doctor tomorrow so I’ll find out more then.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
My first was 11 days late (had to be induced) and my second was 10 days late (did go into labor).

I was effectively murderous by the end of both. It sucks and feels like the longest days of your life but I promise they can't stay in there forever! Good luck, rooting for you!!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

My first was 11 days late (had to be induced) and my second was 10 days late (did go into labor).

I was effectively murderous by the end of both. It sucks and feels like the longest days of your life but I promise they can't stay in there forever! Good luck, rooting for you!!

Thanks, EAC. I can’t imagine going 11 days more!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I went 10 days over too. It sucked because all the excitement and anticipation was gone and I was just over it. She came when she was ready, the day after a stretch and sweep.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Thanks, EAC. I can’t imagine going 11 days more!

On the plus side, we went to infinity war 9 days in, and contractions started like an hour or two after we got home, so the lesson is, the baby will wait until the movie you wanted to see is done.

I suppose it could have backfired and started halfway through, but who's counting.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

We finally have babby!

At 7 days overdue, the ultrasound showed that the baby was very small for her age (second percentile) so my doctor said we needed to induce. On the way to the hospital to induce, I started getting contractions. They still gave me cervadil when I got there. After 14 hours overnight with nothing for pain I was completely exhausted (I was also unable to sleep for 2 nights leading up to the induction, which sucked) I tried nitrous. That didn’t help at all. They then talked me into trying IV pain medication instead of going straight to the epidural, and I did not like that at all. I was high af and still in pain. I couldn’t imagine having to push with that in my system. After that wore off, I told them I wanted the epidural. I was able to sleep after the epidural for maybe an hour and a half before pushing. After 2 hours of pushing I was completely spent and she was making no progress. The doctor said she would try the vacuum and if that didn’t work, I’d need a c section. Luckily, the vacuum worked! Her cord had been wrapped around her body over her shoulder which was why it was so hard to get her out. But she was healthy as can be and wasn’t as small as they thought she was!

For me, if we decide to have another at some point, I will definitely opt for the epidural earlier.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We finally have babby!

At 7 days overdue, the ultrasound showed that the baby was very small for her age (second percentile) so my doctor said we needed to induce. On the way to the hospital to induce, I started getting contractions. They still gave me cervadil when I got there. After 14 hours overnight with nothing for pain I was completely exhausted (I was also unable to sleep for 2 nights leading up to the induction, which sucked) I tried nitrous. That didn’t help at all. They then talked me into trying IV pain medication instead of going straight to the epidural, and I did not like that at all. I was high af and still in pain. I couldn’t imagine having to push with that in my system. After that wore off, I told them I wanted the epidural. I was able to sleep after the epidural for maybe an hour and a half before pushing. After 2 hours of pushing I was completely spent and she was making no progress. The doctor said she would try the vacuum and if that didn’t work, I’d need a c section. Luckily, the vacuum worked! Her cord had been wrapped around her body over her shoulder which was why it was so hard to get her out. But she was healthy as can be and wasn’t as small as they thought she was!

For me, if we decide to have another at some point, I will definitely opt for the epidural earlier.

Congrats!!!!!!

(rest when you can, all forms of getting milk into baby are valid, be on the lookout for ppd, good luck!!, for sure on the epidural earlier that's what happened to us too)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We finally have babby!

Congrats!!! So glad you and babby are doing well.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks, y’all! And thanks for all the help along the way :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

(oh and pictures are desired and appreciated but not required obviously)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

She’s pretty darn cute IMO :3:

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

She’s pretty darn cute IMO :3:

OH MY GOD SO CUTE I LOVE IT.

So many congrats!!!!!!

Welcome to :wrongcity:, little one. :3:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

OH MY GOD SO CUTE I LOVE IT.

So many congrats!!!!!!

Welcome to :wrongcity:, little one. :3:

Thank you!! :)

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Congratulations!! She’s adorable. I hear you on nitrous being useless and next time getting the epidural ASAP.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Congratulations!! She’s adorable. I hear you on nitrous being useless and next time getting the epidural ASAP.

Thank you!

Yeah I had high hopes for the nitrous based upon what I was reading about it. Maybe it does help some people, but it definitely didn’t help me. I think I only used it through maybe 3 contractions.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Finally a positive pregnancy test this month!

Time to call my doctor in the morning and get my blood tests done. I’ve also got my paperwork for my thyroid test, which I was gonna do this week anyway as I’ve been gaining some weight for no reason. I’m probably going to be a little paranoid with this one after the miscarriage last time.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Congrats on fresh babies and positive pregnancy tests! My heart is with you Nessa. ❤️

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.

Nessa posted:

Finally a positive pregnancy test this month!

Time to call my doctor in the morning and get my blood tests done. I’ve also got my paperwork for my thyroid test, which I was gonna do this week anyway as I’ve been gaining some weight for no reason. I’m probably going to be a little paranoid with this one after the miscarriage last time.

Congratulations!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

marchantia posted:

Congrats on fresh babies and positive pregnancy tests! My heart is with you Nessa. ❤️

very nice i like posted:

Congratulations!

Thank you! I’m really hoping this one goes smoothly this time, and am going to be anxious and paranoid until I can hear a heartbeat and we get a successful first ultrasound. Last go around, I had my first appointment at 9 weeks and my doctor said it was no problem that we couldn’t hear a heartbeat, but I know now that the embryo was already dead by then.

I know I shouldn’t worry about it too much and that there’s only a small chance of a second miscarriage, but y’know, the anxiety will still be there.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Trying to figure out if my weird vagina smell is normal lochia odor or BV. It doesn't smell terrible, exactly, but it's definitely different from how I used to smell. I'm almost four weeks postpartum and not sure if I'm still passing lochia alba or if it's back to normal discharge? Ugh, I don't have any itching or pain and really don't want to go get checked out because everything here is so hard to navigate. What did your vag smell like a few weeks after delivery?

Also I must have the worst internal hemorrhoids because I'm bleeding bright red blood every time I take a poo poo and it hurts so much :(

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

boquiabierta posted:

Trying to figure out if my weird vagina smell is normal lochia odor or BV. It doesn't smell terrible, exactly, but it's definitely different from how I used to smell. I'm almost four weeks postpartum and not sure if I'm still passing lochia alba or if it's back to normal discharge? Ugh, I don't have any itching or pain and really don't want to go get checked out because everything here is so hard to navigate. What did your vag smell like a few weeks after delivery?

I felt the smell was weird the whole time I bled postpartum. Stale, maybe? Not quite like I had an infection, but definitely strong. I think some of it may have been having to use pads and them also trapping sweat when for periods I've always used tampons :shrug:. Maybe sweatier further postpartum, just because I could go longer between changing pads.

I don't miss that part of having my kid.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Got my first ultrasound booked for a month from now, so earlier than last time! That makes me feel a bit better.

For the past week or so, I’ve been having pain with walking and swollen ankles. It got really bad Friday night and on Sunday I noticed I was pretty swollen below my ankles too. My hands started swelling up a bit that day as well, though I was helping my father-in-law with cleaning his house. I’ve noticed pin prickles in my feet now and again, especially with walking.

I asked my family doctor about it this morning and he just said it’s a symptom of pregnancy and to keep my feet up. I’m only 5 weeks, so this seems a bit unusual. Isn’t foot swelling normally a mid-late pregnancy thing? Anyone else have early swelling? Do I get to look forward to every step being mildly to moderately painful for the next 8 months?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

5 weeks sounds too early for that. Check your blood pressure. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/swollen-ankles-feet-pregnant/

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m not sure how to check my own blood pressure, but I don’t seem to have any of the other symptoms on that page.

When I mentioned the swelling and pain with walking, my doctor just kind of smiled and laughed and said, “Welcome to pregnancy.” He didn’t seem to think it was a big deal. After some digging, I did manage to find a few posts on a pregnancy forum of people talking about swelling starting in week 4 or 5 and lasting throughout pregnancy, so I guess it does happen to some people!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve hit 7 weeks and am beginning to feel nausea. Yay! It’s only extremely mild queasiness that mostly makes me feel like I need to burp, rather than throw up and I’ve been getting these “hiccup burps” too. And hunger pangs way earlier than I would normally be hungry.

After my miscarriage last year, I am taking these to all be signs of a healthy and progressing pregnancy. I’ve still got another 12 days until my ultrasound, but I’ve been tracking my symptoms and stuff in a cute unicorn daily planner. ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Yay! Happy for you! Having nausea is associated with lower rates of miscarriage, so I’d take it as a good sign too. Congrats!