Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The Big Ten is the one who scheduled the game. Rutgers was forced to give up a home game to play Wisconsin at MSG a few years ago, where of course the refs hosed them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why wouldn't the new york market have a home game at msg?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Same reason we hate playing at Giants Stadium. It's not a good college environment and really hurts our homecourt advantage, which has been great this year, and was great in the past when the team was even halfway decent. I don't think you'll find many teams that like playing off campus.

The alternative is our 8k seat gym where the fans are right on top of the court and screaming the whole game, it's a nightmare to play at and a huge advantage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gvibes posted:

Yes. Totally different defense. Past defenses crowded passing lanes, which led to fouls, forced turnovers, but gave up easy baskets on back-doors and poo poo. This year, basic pack-line stuff.

Easiest to see statistically in the foul/turnover metrics. Last year (consistent with Underwood's teams in the past) we forced the most turnovers in conference play (20.9% of possessions), while fouling a ton (43.9% FTA/FGA, worst in conference), and also giving up a ton of easy baskets (gave up 54.3% on 2s, 2nd worst in conference).

This year, we force the least turnovers in conference play (13% of possessions), foul rarely (25% FTA/FGA, third best in conference), and have the best 2pt defense in conference (42.9%).

See https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Illinois-basketball-Illini-coach-Brad-Underwood-defensive-changes-142261182/

Awesome thanks

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Big Ten is the one who scheduled the game. Rutgers was forced to give up a home game to play Wisconsin at MSG a few years ago, where of course the refs hosed them over.

That may be the case, but Warde Manuel blows at scheduling.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Counterpoint: Madison Square Garden sold beer during those games and because I thought I was going alone, I was able to snag a board seat for the hockey game against Ohio State where I was next to their backup sieve.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
But I thought Rutgers already owns the NYC market

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

In the Beilein era, Michigan wanted to recruit in the NYC market. Rutgers was also really bad. So it made some sense to give away the home game against a team that was an automatic win.

Now Howard doesn't give a gently caress about the NYC market, Rutgers is good, and Rutgers should be favored in the game. Oops!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We just suck on the road this year I guess. Xavier Tillman with extreme lemon booty in this game.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Villanova, Butler, and Seton Hall all lost at home today.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No one actually said this. Rutgers had the largest plurality of college football fans in the NYC metro area, which includes most of NJ, before Kyle Flood ruined the football program, and will again once Schiano undoes the damage. This translates to a shitload of money just because NYC is so large, and the Big Ten Network was easily carried on NYC cable stations after years-long fights in the Midwest, contrary to every single prediction Big Ten fans made.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think Mizzou is looking for a new coach a year or so from now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This game is Rutgers' first real stinker of the season. Ugly.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers had huge problems guarding the 3 in OOC play, and then it was completely a non-issue until the Nebraska game then today. Michigan doesn't have Livers, but has two feast or famine shooters in Brooks and Johns who are torching Rutgers.

That's been an issue all year. What I'm more concerned with is Myles Johnson is usually a stud when he doesn't play Garza or get in foul trouble. Why is he getting dominated today?

Also, Rutgers will lose a home game to play MSU at MSG next year, which I don't really like.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2020

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Michigan hasn’t won yet dude, I’ve seen them crumble at the drop of the hat.

E: what did I tell you

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 2, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

In the Beilein era, Michigan wanted to recruit in the NYC market. Rutgers was also really bad. So it made some sense to give away the home game against a team that was an automatic win.

Now Howard doesn't give a gently caress about the NYC market, Rutgers is good, and Rutgers should be favored in the game. Oops!

And now it's a neutral-site top-25 win for Michigan.

:psyduck:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

I think Mizzou is looking for a new coach a year or so from now

Remember how hopeful we all were with just getting rid of Kim Anderson, then MPJ coming in? Then we were still at least kind of hopeful about Jontay. Like, we had our worries about Cuonzo but still had some good things to think about.

I'm not sure if they think they can afford to get rid of Cuonzo until the year after next. I mean, they obviously could but they claim to be running in the red. He's 100% back for next year at the least I'm sure.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/RoFlo/status/1223773372598931457?s=20

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1223778689114001408

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://mobile.twitter.com/dandakich/status/1223778633048711169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etwitterkit

When even Dakich is taking up for UK you know it's bad.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

No disagreement the refs got goofy but idk how it added up. Seemed like the whistles were super quick off the ball but you could take an axe to the shooter.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

No disagreement the refs got goofy but idk how it added up. Seemed like the whistles were super quick off the ball but you could take an axe to the shooter.

Completely agree, with evidence being that the only 2 players to foul out were Kentucky guards. Those are the types of games I hate the most, because it just makes no sense.

There needs to be more coaches calling out the awful officiating, they can afford the fines. Need more media calling them out too, there won't be any change without it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

apparently 3 ranked big east teams lost today, plus one other i believe. more madness

also I saw the headline that most of the big ten is now supporting one time no sitting out a year transfers? I assume the NCAA's losing a lawsuit or something and wants to salvage part of their petty tyranny over the players instead of just allowing unlimited transfers?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

oystertoadfish posted:

also I saw the headline that most of the big ten is now supporting one time no sitting out a year transfers? I assume the NCAA's losing a lawsuit or something and wants to salvage part of their petty tyranny over the players instead of just allowing unlimited transfers?

The NCAA is currently scared shitless. The NBA is looking at ditching the one-and-done NBA requirement, states are forcing their hands on name/image/likeness, and a lot of kids are just straight out going overseas to play a sport and get paid rather than doing the college thing.

One thing that Michigan's AD cited is that minorities are 55%+ of the transferring players, making the current transfer rule de facto racist.

So the NCAA is scrambling to make 75% progress and call the job done before the states/players enforce 100% progress.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Completely agree, with evidence being that the only 2 players to foul out were Kentucky guards.
Yeah that was a bad break with the depth situation y'all have at the moment. Expect you to even the series though, immediately after the game I got a text saying "we are gonna get destroyed at Rupp".

Is LSU actually good or is the SEC still wide open?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah that was a bad break with the depth situation y'all have at the moment. Expect you to even the series though, immediately after the game I got a text saying "we are gonna get destroyed at Rupp".

Is LSU actually good or is the SEC still wide open?

Honestly I'm hoping the revenge comes next fall. Gotta dream big.

I don't think LSU is bad, but I still think Auburn and Kentucky are the best in the SEC.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Purdue is good, they're not getting destroyed in these losses.

Yeah no.

Purdue lost to Nebraska and is about to lose to Northwestern - please continue on how Purdue is actually good though. Rutgers already has good wins, you don't need to pretend that Purdue was one of them.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 2, 2020

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I'm not sure what's the dumbest take:

Purdue being good
or
Nojel Eastern being an NBA player.

Both takes are exceedingly dumb. Though in fairness, only Eastern's mom thinks he's NBA calibre so she's a bit biased.

Edit: To avoid the dreaded triple post, Purdue somehow won tonight - are still loving terrible though

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 2, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cole Anthony is Cam Reddish levels of bad. And much like Reddish, he'll be awful for whatever NBA team is dumb enough to draft him in the lottery.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU is good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Cole Anthony is Cam Reddish levels of bad. And much like Reddish, he'll be awful for whatever NBA team is dumb enough to draft him in the lottery.

He can actually shoot and the rest of that team is big time trash. There's never any room for him to drive because Roy plays with two true posts and the rest of the team is shooting like 25% from three so defenses know they are free to collapse on him. Also he just came back from a huge injury layoff.

I don't think he's really a great top 5 pick by normal draft standards but this draft is doo doo from a butt

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 2, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm not sure what's the dumbest take:

Purdue being good
or
Nojel Eastern being an NBA player.

Both takes are exceedingly dumb. Though in fairness, only Eastern's mom thinks he's NBA calibre so she's a bit biased.

Edit: To avoid the dreaded triple post, Purdue somehow won tonight - are still loving terrible though

nojel eastern is really good defensively but hoo boy he's just a complete non factor on offense and doesn't even have a jump shot to maybe keep him on the floor

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lmao Illinois and their fans are throwing a gigantic fit because Joe Weiskamp dared to dunk on a fast break while Iowa was up 8 in the last 30 seconds. Two coaches got in Fran's face after the game and another starting yelling at Connor, but somehow Fran is the bad guy for pulling his team off the court before the handshake to avoid a fight

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 2, 2020

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Aztec_MBB/status/1223821984905093121?s=19

"The senior night we never got to have for you."

Big love

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ColdBlooded posted:

Yeah no.

Purdue lost to Nebraska and is about to lose to Northwestern - please continue on how Purdue is actually good though. Rutgers already has good wins, you don't need to pretend that Purdue was one of them.

You jerk you made me check the score, oh look northwestern blew another close one.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Completely agree, with evidence being that the only 2 players to foul out were Kentucky guards. Those are the types of games I hate the most, because it just makes no sense.

This happened to Tech vs WVU. Two tech guards fouled out. Tech managed to win by double digits still, so that's cool and good.

Tech lost another close one to a Q1 team. Our 6th and 7th players are both hurt (6th with a day-to-day ankle injury, 7th is in concussion protocol), but the team still just fights and claws to stay close to good teams. We're not sure if Tyreek Smith plays or redshirts this year, but he could help a lot as a jumpy 4.

Also, This year's Kansas block-based defense is fun to watch. I wish that Tech had a rim protector like Tariq Owens on this year's team. Blocks make the defense go. I mean, we have a couple of players like him, but one is a true freshman who has only been playing basketball for a few years and is absolutely lost when he gets on the court, one is a true freshman that's hurt, and one is a sophomore who didn't get a transfer waiver, so I guess there's that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Athletic posted today the Obi Toppin story we’ve all been waiting for, including a link to a 12-year-old Obi setting up an alley oop for his playground legend dad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How many games does Rutgers need to win more to make the tourney? 3? Their next game is against Northwestern so thats a win but other than that there are no more easy ones.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
So Wisconsin’s Davison was suspended one game. Wow. What a punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
E: quote is not edit