Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nothing worthwhile has used Flash since Skyrim

It's less popular than it used to be, but current examples of flash-based menus in games are World of Warships, The Crew, Alien:Isolation, XCOM2, Hitman, Borderlands 3.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Note: Mal'Ganis died on the way back to his home planet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The funniest/saddest thing about how Steam now makes rare achievements all glowy is that I've got someone on my friendlist who is playing through all of Pathologic 1 and almost all of the achievements are glowy. All of them. No one has ever played Klara's path in the new edition, and I cannot blame them in the slightest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
OK, and now show the remake.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lambert posted:

This isn't unusual. Many games even have flash-based menus and interfaces. The only lol here is someone using macs os in TYOOL 2020 for gaming.

man I would rather have Flash, at least that didn't consume over 100% cpu even at its worst

this is just companies hiring webdevs on the cheap because no one knows how to make a UI without html anymore

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lambert posted:

It's less popular than it used to be, but current examples of flash-based menus in games are World of Warships, The Crew, Alien:Isolation, XCOM2, Hitman, Borderlands 3.

I was gonna make a joke about that being the reason for the awful menu performance (how is this even a concept in 2020?) in BL3, but iirc they also used it in 1 and 2 where it was fine.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You must mean Scaleform. It got discontinued by Autodesk and they're not even selling the licenses anymore; Borderlands 3 only barely scraped by. It's probably the last game to use it commercially.

It was incredibly popular as a solution back in the 360/PS3 days because it was simple and designer-friendly. After Steve Jobs single-handedly killed Flash the industry began abandoning Scaleform (though some big name devs still clung to it; like Rockstar with GTAV and Blizzard with SC2 and even Valve).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Why is Teller naked?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

atholbrose posted:

Why is Teller naked?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Lambert posted:

This isn't unusual. Many games even have flash-based menus and interfaces. The only lol here is someone using macs os in TYOOL 2020 for gaming.

I don't think that's the only lol here

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Yeah I guess I'm probably just going to start over and assume it's possible to figure more out in each scene. I didn't realize that the highlighted version of the sketches existed until I was like 8 scenes in and already losing track of too many implied possible relationships between too many unidentified characters - when they're unidentified it's hard to remember if the guy you thought was doing this in one scene was the same guy doing that in another scene. I kinda wish I could just give them manual names to make keeping track of their developing identities easier.

i got very stuck because i missed the clue that would tell me the identity of knit hat man who shows up in like every scene. once i restarted and paid very close attention to the face blur timing then i was able to complete the game

K8.0 posted:

I did figure out the really obvious one guy's identity based on him doing the "listening" gesture but I didn't notice anything else like that which seemed like it could be used in any sort of conclusive way to identify who was speaking or being spoken to in most scenes.

on the transcript you can read of each scene, the person who is speaking has a little x next to their lines - this person is iirc always the person associated with a given scene, the "who is this? how did they die?" person

atholbrose posted:

Why is Teller naked?

nasty case of Emperor Complex

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Lambert posted:

Do you mean Scaleform?

/beaten

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jamfrost posted:

No...

:smith:

I still don't understand how they messed this all up.

The story I've heard is that Blizzard, a company ostensibly meant to make video games, was in fact incapable of making a video game so they hired outside help to make WC3R after they did five minutes of actual work on it. Half because Blizzard has bled talent and are probably two steps away from becoming the next Bioware and half because Activision wants them to put out more games and make more money while also spending less money to do so, against all logic and reason. :capitalism:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

The story I've heard is that Blizzard, a company ostensibly meant to make video games, was in fact incapable of making a video game so they hired outside help to make WC3R after they did five minutes of actual work on it. Half because Blizzard has bled talent and are probably two steps away from becoming the next Bioware and half because Activision wants them to put out more games and make more money while also spending less money to do so, against all logic and reason. :capitalism:

:capitalism:

Using a chrome app for a menu is certainly an idea. A stupid one on the face of it, but someone had that idea, someone else approved it, and here we are.

I don't know if Reforged will hit FO76 levels of hilarity, but man, its trying.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My wife has suddenly shown an interest in playing some games. She and I enjoy being filthy casuals in Overwatch together so after some googling she wants to try another FPS in Borderlands. I’ll need to wait for the next sale to get her a copy but would y’all suggest starting with 1 or jumping to 2? Her computer can’t run 3.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
I'm extremely pleased that somebody turned Mal'Poochie into a gif. Remember kids, never pre-order even if it seems like it should be a lock. The rational part of my brain knows that Blizzard has been well and truly dead for some time now, but if you had told me even ten years ago that Blizzard would one day be so incompetent that I wouldn't buy from them a remaster of Warcraft 3, one of my favorite games, I'm not sure I would have believed you. Yet here we are, with every day bringing a new revelation into how shoddy this release is.

Moving on, I'm playing the first Dangan Ronpa on Steam and my god, the controls are atrocious. I've played for a bit on both mouse and keyboard and with a controller, and both systems are just awful. Near as I can tell there's no mouse control in the menus and no way to enable it. Playing with a controller is better, but moving around still feels incredibly sluggish especially when you highlight an interactive object in passing and the cursor snaps to it. The frustrating part is that except for the poo poo controls I'm enjoying the story and the style of the game, albeit it's pretty close to my maximum tolerance for high school anime nonsense. Are the sequels any better on the control front, or should I just give up and read some LPs?

Fifteen of Many posted:

My wife has suddenly shown an interest in playing some games. She and I enjoy being filthy casuals in Overwatch together so after some googling she wants to try another FPS in Borderlands. I’ll need to wait for the next sale to get her a copy but would y’all suggest starting with 1 or jumping to 2? Her computer can’t run 3.

Just go straight to 2, if you just want to play a fun shooter together then the quality of life improvements alone are worth it. You're not going to run out of stuff to shoot, there's hundreds of hours worth of grinding if she really gets into it and wants to keep going past the story ending. In the event that she really gets into the story then the relevant stuff from the first game can be covered in five minutes on Youtube.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fifteen of Many posted:

Get BL2, you'll miss out on some of the background story (just read up on it if you care) but even without that, BL2's story works fine on its own and the game has a lot of QoL improvements over the first game, and IMO the better classes. Most of the bullshit design is in the top difficulty modes and raid bosses which you don't have to do if you don't want to. And TPS is a good enough sidegrade for BL2 fans but I wouldn't recommend it as the only Borderlands for someone new to the series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

orcane posted:

Get BL2, you'll miss out on some of the background story (just read up on it if you care) but even without that, BL2's story works fine on its own and the game has a lot of QoL improvements over the first game, and IMO the better classes. Most of the bullshit design is in the top difficulty modes and raid bosses which you don't have to do if you don't want to. And TPS is a good enough sidegrade for BL2 fans but I wouldn't recommend it as the only Borderlands for someone new to the series.

yeah, some people can still get enjoyment out of it and it's not like it's completely without merit, but the original borderlands is a pretty crappy game. skip it imo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Classy Devil posted:

Moving on, I'm playing the first Dangan Ronpa on Steam and my god, the controls are atrocious. I've played for a bit on both mouse and keyboard and with a controller, and both systems are just awful. Near as I can tell there's no mouse control in the menus and no way to enable it. Playing with a controller is better, but moving around still feels incredibly sluggish especially when you highlight an interactive object in passing and the cursor snaps to it. The frustrating part is that except for the poo poo controls I'm enjoying the story and the style of the game, albeit it's pretty close to my maximum tolerance for high school anime nonsense. Are the sequels any better on the control front, or should I just give up and read some LPs?

far as I know they're basically the handheld versions running on your computer, so nah they're not really optimised for it. If you're on Steam maybe you could tweak the controller through Steam Input to be a bit more responsive? I played 2 a bit ago and I had to do that to speed up movement and the cursor (this was on the Steam Controller so basically balancing the trackball flick across the pad and overall acceleration + sensitivity)

for what it's worth, I didn't think the first game was too anime, felt more like the animeness was focused on certain characters who everyone else thought were weird. I'm saying that because to me the second one is extremely anime, for reasons. Had a few out loud "ffs" moments, still decent though if you like the first one. Also worse minigames, no I don't want to surf down a cyberspace halfpipe for 3 minutes

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mokinokaro posted:

No. The game writing is just plain bad. It is basically using the same premise as that awful Netflix movie Bright and substituting racism against fantasy races for real racism in an extremely sloppily handled metaphor.

btw yeah someone on my twitter feed is playing through this (Coffee Talk) and the writing in it looks like loving dogshit. It almost makes VA-11 Hall-A look like a masterpiece. Almost.

EDIT: also all this talk about Obra Dinn reminds me that I bought it, fired it up to make sure it worked, and then never played it. I desperately need to fix that soon

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nevermind, somebody gave me a nudge. Don't know how I missed that.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 1, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
coming up on the end of Blasphemous

I’m guessing the platforming improvements they patched in were a success, because the only two platforming segments that teed me off were very clearly designed to do so. Besides that it’s been a solid Metroidvania, though both the movement and the script are a little too ponderous

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

KazigluBey posted:

I don't think that's the only lol here

It's incredible how little of a poo poo they seemed to have gave about the remake. They also apparently included a clause were any custom maps made are the property of Blizzard now and forever. They must have been super salty that Tower defense, DOTA and autochess came out of those custom maps and they got zero profit from it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Those of you who know my habits know I gave up on the month of February long ago, electing to replace it with PLATFORMEBRUARY. Each year I fill this auspicious month with platformer reviews, one a day, usually around 8am PST. This is my fifth year doing this, and you can find the previous four years here. My selections this time are a bit more recent and a bit more interesting, especially since the first one was just mentioned less than an hour ago.

1. Blasphemous

Woe be unto you if you’re trying to bring a platformer to market these days. In one of the most crowded, oversaturated genres on Steam, your only hope is to offer something truly unique, breathtaking in quality, or perhaps both. I wouldn’t call Blasphemous groundbreaking in what it is or does, but it takes familiar seeds and grows a garden of rare quality and grim delights. Many games aspire to be the sort of dark, punishing platformer that this is, and almost all of them fall far short of the action and spectacle you’ll get here.

The land of Cvstodia has fallen into the clutches of the Grievous Miracle, an inescapable religious dogma that twists its followers and consigns them to horrific deaths. You have escaped such a death, the last of the Silent Sorrow, and you return to Cvstodia as The Penitent One, its only hope of breaking free from this divine curse. But battling the Miracle requires more than simply destroying its monstrous zealots and freeing its victims. You must follow the rites of this ancient land, recovering relics, aiding fellow pilgrims, and fulfilling prophecies to open the way forward to your fate. At the end of this long, bloody road lies the truth behind this doom, and a struggle to determine the future of an embattled society.

With a name and premise like that, you’re probably expecting plenty of religious themes and symbolism. Whatever you’ve envisioned, Blasphemous takes that and cranks it to eleven, while also blasting Black Sabbath on a second, larger sound system. Everything in the game, almost without exception, is steeped in some kind of Christian iconography. Enemies wield censers, golden scepters, and entire statues of angels, clad in priestly robes or bleeding from crowns of thorns. The environments are adorned with gothic arches, holy symbols, and impossibly grand frescoes and carvings of sacred events. You equip rosary beads and sanctified relics, and collect the bones of saints. You’re essentially fighting the twisted manifestation of the Catholic Church itself, twisted far enough to make its imagery unquestionably monstrous.

And you don’t simply fight these forces, you annihilate them. Blasphemous is really just that, a bloody, brutal march of destruction through the ruins of faith itself. Enemies explode with blood and viscera when you cut them down normally, and face even worse fates if you manage to score an execution on them. The combat leading to these vicious eliminations is simple enough, with basic sword combos and familiar aerial, slide, and charge moves that require some token consideration for reach and timing. The Penitent One can block and parry as well, with parries being exactly the kind of meaty repulsions and crushing follow-ups you’re hoping they are. You’ll get ranged attacks as well, along with a whole host of passive effects from your equipment to change your gameplay in ways large and small. Still, the core sword combat remains the same throughout, and the grotesque monsters and bosses you face will provide a perfectly reasonable challenge for your skills.

Aside from the high quality and volume of equippables, there’s not much more to say about the combat in Blasphemous. If anything it’s easier than expected, with most enemies having distinct patterns and bosses generally not needing more than a death or two to figure out. The controls are perhaps a bit stiffer than other games of its ilk, but once you get comfortable you’ll hardly notice. This puts the focus more on exploration, which is a definite strong suit of the game. Cvstodia is brought to life with fantastically grim pixel art and detailed backdrops, depicting plains of sunken churches, towering cathedrals, seething sewers, and sights too grand to mention. There are tons of secrets and side challenges to unearth, and other than the purpose of some being poorly communicated, offer a rich variety of rewards for your tenacity.

I think the only thing that would really hold someone back from appreciating Blasphemous is the sheer gore on display. They really pull no punches when mulching foes, and the intensely religious airs could make that even more uncomfortable. For my part I loved it, the spectacle and payoffs and all. Some folks have been unhappy with the instant-death pits and spikes dotting the levels, but I found them reasonable challenges along with the rest. Topped off with some solid writing and a wonderfully moody soundtrack, this is definitely one of the best dark metroidvanias to reach for the genre crown. It’s not quite spectacular enough to summit, but I’d certainly count Blasphemous among my favorites.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Murdoch posted:

Activision wants them to put out more games and make more money while also spending less money to do so

You know on an intellectual level I've always understood why people need trigger warnings, but until I read this post I never truly experienced that need for myself :gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
odd thing about Blasphemous is how blase everyone is about the atrocities of their world - you're never entirely clear on your goal, because no one in Cvstodia really seems to want the Miracle to be purged, instead accepting it as an inevitable consequence of everyday life

apparently the nation was always that screwy, since one bit of flavor text mentions how an explorer meant to bring scripture to "uncivilized lands" was executed when he unwisely said that every land was civilized in comparison to Cvstodia

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mordja posted:

Imo this gif demonstrates what I meant when I was talking about Wolcen's combat borrowing from CAGs.
https://twitter.com/WolcenGame/status/1223261498220347394

Everything I've seen about this game looks pretty awesome in .gifs. For people who've played the EA version, is the speed of the game/combat more like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The execution kill you get on those shield enemies in Blasphemous is extremely hosed up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All you need to know about Blasphemous is that one of its bosses is literally the Cadaver Synod.

Blasphemous rules. Requiem Aeternum motherfuckers.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Too Shy Guy posted:

After catching up on the rest of the series, it's pretty amazing how well Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! pulls together all the bits of the previous games and refines them down to something special. It's still in Early Access, but already I'm having more fun with it than I ever did in 1 or 2.

I'm really liking this, as a big fan of 1 and and thinking the second was alright. At first when there was an auto serve everything that is ready button I distinctly remember thinking that would be too easy, along with not having chores anymore but NOPE this game is just as brutal and hardcore as the others, I'm guessing more so as I'm not even out of the second area yet. Also the distinct sense of absurdist humour has remained and the soundtrack is great.

quote:

My only warning is that this one can somehow be even more stressful than the last two. Learning where and when to prep for a stop, and shifting gears to keep the food flowing during a stop, are challenges with a significant learning curve. And just when you start to get a groove, the game will throw new complications at you like enemy food trucks with serious firepower.

I got attacked by the Chilly Bowl foodtruck and i can't help but take that as a personal insult.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just started CSD3 and gap between what I remember of CSD1 and my current gameplay experience is vast.

All my stop-and-starting, confused pauses and panics, completely boofing switching between the orders and the holding stations every 15 seconds... it is the biggest sign of my Ongoing Mental Decline. Bronzes as far the eye can see

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Anno posted:

Everything I've seen about this game looks pretty awesome in .gifs. For people who've played the EA version, is the speed of the game/combat more like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile?

Looks like the combat has more “weight” to it than PoE which is pretty welcome honestly, but the EA version of the game seems fairly restricted compared to what you’re getting February 13th so you’ll might wanna wait for a goonsensus until after that point: https://wolcengame.com/forum/announcements/official-news/more-details-about-full-game-and-price-increase/

That said the game is going from $30 to $45 Feb 13th so you also might want to hedge your bets? Hard to say right now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just started CSD3 and gap between what I remember of CSD1 and my current gameplay experience is vast.

All my stop-and-starting, confused pauses and panics, completely boofing switching between the orders and the holding stations every 15 seconds... it is the biggest sign of my Ongoing Mental Decline. Bronzes as far the eye can see

Yeah I just got CSD3 and played a bit tonight after really only having played CSD1 when it came out, and... I'm loving bad at it and, I don't think I'm feeling good about myself playing it nor see myself improve a lot because I just can't memorize enough hotkeys on 4-5 different pages for enough recipes. Gunna have to chalk it up as one of those "it's a great game that I hate playing and makes me feel too dumb and impotent", sadly

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Xaris posted:

Yeah I just got CSD3 and played a bit tonight after really only having played CSD1 when it came out, and... I'm loving bad at it and, I don't think I'm feeling good about myself playing it nor see myself improve a lot because I just can't memorize enough hotkeys on 4-5 different pages for enough recipes. Gunna have to chalk it up as one of those "it's a great game that I hate playing and makes me feel too dumb and impotent", sadly

I'm not too bad at this game, but true fans can do some insane poo poo in this game, for instance:

https://clips.twitch.tv/RamshackleConsiderateDragonflyBibleThump

:eyepop:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Xaris posted:

The thing that I remember from CSD1 is that you started with a small menu selection that you would repeat for multiple days so you could build up familiarity with more and more recipes.

At least starting off with CSD3 they throw a bunch of different items at you, plus each level has a different pool of recipes to work with? So it's harder to get a good grasp on things unless I replayed the same level a bunch?

Also lol I am serving so much unhealthy food because I need to fill the menu up with a bunch of easy fryer recipes

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

odd thing about Blasphemous is how blase everyone is about the atrocities of their world - you're never entirely clear on your goal, because no one in Cvstodia really seems to want the Miracle to be purged, instead accepting it as an inevitable consequence of everyday life

apparently the nation was always that screwy, since one bit of flavor text mentions how an explorer meant to bring scripture to "uncivilized lands" was executed when he unwisely said that every land was civilized in comparison to Cvstodia
I've played a chunk and beaten like three bosses and honestly, until now I didn't know why I was heading to the Grievous Miracle. Just that I my goal was to go there. Maybe my conehead just wanted to meet god! I mean, he's not saying anything.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Any fresh opinions on Ravenfield? Does it lean too heavily on making your own fun due to the sandboxy nature?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/636480/Ravenfield/

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a way to sell multiple cards on the market place yet?

I've got this silly huge stockpile and the last i heard the old chrome plugin was supposedly some russian spyware now or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kin posted:

Is there a way to sell multiple cards on the market place yet?

I've got this silly huge stockpile and the last i heard the old chrome plugin was supposedly some russian spyware now or some poo poo.

Click on the game badge. Sell button.