Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't think it's been brought up (or if its a book thing or not) but I really like the branding on the Belter OS video app being called "Showxating"
I giggle a bit every time I spot that word in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also, most (basically all) betler settlements, are highly susceptible to cosmic radiation. Earth and ganymede have natural magnetosphere to protect them, martians have a ton of settlements under the surface to protect them, and I believe some asteroid habitats (like ceres or eros) have a large enough rock shell around them to protect them. Some sufficiently advanced ones (like Tycho (i think), and presumably, Medina station) are shielded to protect the interior. While adults are fairly okay, its really harsh on infants/children, which is why everyone in the belt goes to Ganymede if they can. Infant plants have the same susceptibility, so growing food can be really risky if it's not in a place that is capable of protecting the plants.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

It's unfair to compare Murtry with Amos like that, it makes him look completely bitch-made.

Best crazy Amos face had to be when he taunts Murtry into fighting him in the final episode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ashpanash posted:

Move-a-ting
I will never get over displays being labelled "showxating".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'll face Jod and walk backwards into hell

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poor Alex not getting out of the friend zone with the Belter doctor especially after she reconciles with her family.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Not that this is a deal breaker for me, I love both versions of the series, but Ganymede is another example of how they try for "Wikipedia level plausibility" instead of hard sci fi. It has a magnetosphere but it's only a small fraction as powerful as Earth's. I don't know for sure but I would bet that it would still be getting cooked as hell by cosmic radiation as well as Jupiter. 80% of a many times lethal dose is still many times lethal.

quote:

Poor Alex not getting out of the friend zone with the Belter doctor especially after she reconciles with her family.

I feel like Alex healthily moved on from anything on that front as soon as he found out she had a family.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 2, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes, the magnetic field of Ganymede is basically useless. Being under all that ice is actual protection. Or you could settle Callisto, which is outside Jupiter's radiation belts.

If you want actual natural radiation protection on the surface of something that isn't Earth, Titan's your best bet. Saturn's radiation is minimal and Titan's atmosphere is an effective screen. But so is a few meters of water/ice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I feel like Alex healthily moved on from anything on that front as soon as he found out she had a family.

That was a pretty hilarious shutdown when she invites him over to dinner with her family.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I binged the entire series in the span of a couple weeks (working from home during slow holiday time is awesome), then started reading the books am currently reading Nemesis Games.

This show hits all the right sci-fi buttons for me, like nothing since BSG, and I'm glad it found a home in Amazon to (hopefully) finish out the book series.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

I binged the entire series in the span of a couple weeks (working from home during slow holiday time is awesome), then started reading the books am currently reading Nemesis Games.

This show hits all the right sci-fi buttons for me, like nothing since BSG, and I'm glad it found a home in Amazon to (hopefully) finish out the book series.

It was maybe a real slower but I thought it set up the next season really nicely.

Plus emphasizing how old powers like Mars and Earth are no longer the same after the ring gate was activated. If anything Mars looks to be the most low energy since they are reduced to selling off the family silver and lost
their main motivation as a society.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Legitimately asking, can’t we already replicate what plants need with artificial light? I’m immediately thinking of all the grow houses here in Detroit in basements, but then again pot doesn’t need nutritional value which is what you may get from photosynthesis?

Agreed. I enjoyed the idea of the whole Ganymede setup with the mirrors, but agriculture would probably more likely be in underground tunnels with artificial light.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah but spaceships blowing up giant mirrors that crash into domes is super cool comparatively

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Well, if those spaceships can be around Jupiter, it means there's some technology that protects from radiation. No reason that couldn't be applied to domes on Ganymede as well.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kassad posted:

Well, if those spaceships can be around Jupiter, it means there's some technology that protects from radiation. No reason that couldn't be applied to domes on Ganymede as well.
I mean except they explicitly say it's Ganymede's magnetic field that protects them. If they could just do radiation shields wherever then Ganymede wouldn't be special.

Turns out the Expanse isn't perfect, but honestly it's the first show to really give a solid try at all this stuff so it's not like it's a major mark against it or anything.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

They managed to give Mars aurora boraelis by kickstarting Mars' magnetic field, maybe they used the same techniques to amplify Ganymede's magnetic field?

mars would never do that for free but an expense to replenish your exploited labor pools infinitely pays for itself in due time.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's also possible that whatever they're using for radiation shielding on ships isn't perfect.

It might be good enough in most cases, this being a setting where cancer is curable, but still leak through enough radiation to be a danger to especially fragile life, infants, saplings, etc, but a magnetosphere helps covering the gaps.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

double nine posted:

They managed to give Mars aurora boraelis by kickstarting Mars' magnetic field, maybe they used the same techniques to amplify Ganymede's magnetic field?

mars would never do that for free but an expense to replenish your exploited labor pools infinitely pays for itself in due time.

Planetary magnetic fields are generated by the core rotating at a different rate than the rest of the interior, so "kickstarting Mars' magnetic field" is really more of that wikipedia-level plausibility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

McSpanky posted:

Planetary magnetic fields are generated by the core rotating at a different rate than the rest of the interior, so "kickstarting Mars' magnetic field" is really more of that wikipedia-level plausibility.

I watched a documentary of a team that took an underground train to restart Earth's core. They saved the whole planet.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cojawfee posted:

I watched a documentary of a team that took an underground train to restart Earth's core. They saved the whole planet.

Yeah, they even were exposed to the naked heat of the liquid magma that exists at the very centre of the Earth with no negative effects. You could probably rig up something like a huge stick blender and spin up a core that way.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

giant magnets orbiting at geosynch orbit

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The neutrinos... have mutated!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not... the space around the ship that's moving...

...we're just zooming into space. Enhance!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

so The Expanse plays fast and loose with the gravitons and graviolis, so what

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If the Expanse was actually hard science, it wouldn't exist because our planet and everyone on it will be dead in 100 years

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The planet itself will be fine, and a new biosphere that loves heat, acid, and plastic will emerge.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nail Rat posted:

The planet itself will be fine, and a new biosphere that loves heat, acid, and plastic will emerge.

Florida Man triumphant.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A new sentient mushroom people emerge from the ashes.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

McSpanky posted:

I feel like I'm the only person that caught onto this and I haven't read the books. She clearly has no patience for leadership or ability to tolerate the kind of social maneuvering that formal politics requires, she'd much rather be setting up the dominos than dealing with the mess when they tip over.

she's space hillary clinton

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Typo posted:

she's space hillary clinton

All the way down to horribly misreading the general feeling of the population.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
The election was also the most obvious "B-plot cuz we gotta give her something to do" thing ever

it's also worth thinking about the age thing: chrisjen is in her 60s-70s, when average life expectancy on earth is like 128 or something. Since politics is basically old people sports you'd expect someone much older than nancy gao to be running against her. Chrisjen is probably on the younger side of senior politicians if you think about it.

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 2, 2020

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, the magnetic field of Ganymede is basically useless. Being under all that ice is actual protection. Or you could settle Callisto, which is outside Jupiter's radiation belts.

If you want actual natural radiation protection on the surface of something that isn't Earth, Titan's your best bet. Saturn's radiation is minimal and Titan's atmosphere is an effective screen. But so is a few meters of water/ice.

doesnt titan have methane oceans?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nail Rat posted:

Humans will also be fine. We are very hard to kill. Technological human civilization at its current state, that's the question.

SpookyLizard posted:

doesnt titan have methane oceans?

Yep. Though it's a hydrocarbon mix, not just liquid methane. poo poo's cold. But everywhere out there is, Titan isn't unusually cold.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Grand Fromage posted:

Humans will also be fine. We are very hard to kill. Technological human civilization at its current state, that's the question.

Yep. Though it's a hydrocarbon mix, not just liquid methane. poo poo's cold. But everywhere out there is, Titan isn't unusually cold.

That's one thing I thought was a bit weird about the Expanse, I always figured Titan would be a lot more developed or used in the setting. Then again that might be eclipse phase leaking in where the Titan Commonwealth is one of the biggest factions in the setting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you want to set up on some kind of terrestrial body instead of a space station, having to engineer around a thick smoggy atmosphere and hydrocarbon lakes sounds a lot harder than just melting and/or boring some tunnels in the ice and/or rock that's everywhere and calling it a day

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Titan has a bunch of fancy resorts. Also even with Epstein drives it's pretty far out there, Saturn is twice as far away from the sun as Jupiter. The system gets less developed the further you are from Earth.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Saturn is twice as far away from the sun as Jupiter.

Yeah the scale of space is really loving unreal and hard to make sense of. Here is an awesome scale map. The little doodad on the bottom right scrolls it at the speed of light.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When I taught astronomy the first class activity was to take some cones outside and create a scale model of the solar system on the school campus. The sun and inner planets were like 20 meters (campus was about 500 meters across), Jupiter a good distance away but you could still see the inner planets. Then everything was spread out as hell until we got to Neptune at the 500 meter mark. Proxima Centauri at that scale was about 1900 km away in Indonesia somewhere.

Students would complain about how far it was to Uranus and Neptune and I was just like "yeah that's why we've only been out there once".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the scale of space is really loving unreal and hard to make sense of. Here is an awesome scale map. The little doodad on the bottom right scrolls it at the speed of light.

That's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

:vince: