Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Croatoan posted:

He did warn us that if he got snubbed for an oscar he's make a horrible film. Thanks Netflix, I hate it.

TBF he fuckin' deserved a nomination if not a win. Don't know why they snubbed him but the oscars are a weird hollywood circlejerk anyway :shrug:

The movies he puts out aren't horrible already? Or is there just another lower level of the ocean he hasn't scraped across yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll never understand why goons are so enthusiastic about praising Sandler any time he does something vaguely decent.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

I'll never understand why goons are so enthusiastic about praising Sandler any time he does something vaguely decent.

i dont know the real term for it but its Mandalorian Syndrome, people just want a return to semi-competence so badly that pretty good effort gets this huge reaction

it's too bad Sandler's attitude toward the movie was 'if this doesnt get an oscar i'm just gonna make poo poo from here on out' because if it was a genuine 180 degree turn for his career it really would be praiseworthy, that he was making a conscious effort to change his brand to this sort of thing. And his first effort was pretty drat good, I'd be excited for whatever he had coming next

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Because we deeply relate to having a lot of potential but rarely doing anything of value.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Have you seen the movie? He’s really really fuckin good in it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

b/c we all know he's been capable of excellent performances since Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me so it's a delight to see him actually act again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

b/c we all know he's been capable of excellent performances since Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me so it's a delight to see him actually act again

Happy Gilmore is a cinematic masterpiece.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Have you seen the movie? He’s really really fuckin good in it.

He's competent in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

He's competent in it.

wtf

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CBJSprague24 posted:

Continuing a watchthrough of Reno 911 and, for those who saw it, was anybody else disappointed at the payoff of the Leslie/Dangle/Garcia love triangle cliffhanger at the end of S4/start of S5?

I would've been pissed if I had to wait a year for them to pay that off by going SIKE, GAY MARRIAGE IS ILLEGAL HERE, YOU'RE GOIN' TO JAIL!, though Dangle's "Through the lawyers" comment when Garcia talks to him in the first briefing is fun. That subplot continuing would've been a good time.

It's Reno 911!; the core of the show is nothing good happens to the people. I mean, Weigel fell in love, got married, and had a kid, to a serial killer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Opinions, I know, how do they work

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

It's Reno 911!; the core of the show is nothing good happens to the people. I mean, Weigel fell in love, got married, and had a kid, to a serial killer.

I had totally forgotten about that whole arc, but now I instantly remember every moment of it. Classic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

He's competent in it.

I loving hate Sandler and the fact that he’s still making movies and getting paid for doing the exact same tired poo poo he was doing 30 years ago, but even I have to admit he’s legitimately good in Uncut Gems. I mean come on.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Just finished season 1 of Angie Tribeca and I know of no other show that's better for watching when life is spinning up your anxiety brains. Every 12 seconds there's another really dumb joke. No stupid music montages at the end with every character looking sad (anyone know what this is called?). Nothing matters, just the stupid Naked Gun level jokes. Loving Rashida Jones above all other actors helps.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

He's competent in it.
:yeah:

I really didn't get the huge outpouring of praise for Uncut Gems. It's an okay movie, not a masterpiece. Sandler gives a decent performance. It probably does deserve an Oscar more than some of the nominees, but that still doesn't mean it was a knock out of the park.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is Sabrina after season 1? I enjoyed the first couple eps but lost interest quickly and had trouble finishing s1.

I think part of it is that I’m mainly interested in shows focusing on adult characters dealing with adult things.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 2, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Good Time was better than Uncut Gems in general

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I thought Good Time was better than Uncut Gems in general
Yeah I saw Good Time soon before seeing Uncut Gems and thought it was way better

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think the last season of himym has more problems than everyone obviously not wanting to be there, and the plot just going on well after it makes sense, and relitigating the Ted/Robin love thing even after three explicit times of Ted letting Robin go including once that season, and focusing the entire thing on a weekend and having the last episode trying to hastily cram the literal rest of their lives or that every episode had a fart sniffing forced poignant moment backed by indie music
It’s that they mythologized and aggrandized the mother so much that she plays like a self insert Mary Sue fanfic character. She gets along perfectly with every character and she is totally on board with every one of Ted's unpleasant eccentricities and it just feels so fake and forced. I’m not poopooing Miloti's work since she did the best she could with the writing and context, but it just felt like they wrote themselves into a corner regarding the mother, and she just never should have been shown, kinda like how the Frasier people said that no one could ever play Maris since they just exaggerated every one of her characteristics to insane degrees throughout the show's run

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

How is Sabrina after season 1? I enjoyed the first couple eps but lost interest quickly and had trouble finishing s1.

I think part of it is that I’m mainly interested in shows focusing on adult characters dealing with adult things.

Later installments are the same, but more. The only weird thing the show does is that it's very clear that "Season Two" is actually just the back half of the first season, both in terms of production and narrative. It's not gonna relent in terms of tone or characterisation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, How To Get Away With Murder is trashy as gently caress and I love it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Started watching Justified. From the beginning this time. I think I've started it before in the past but didn't get too far but I've also watched like random episodes here and there and figured I may as well figure out who some of these people are.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I need to watch that again, I loving love that movie. The prisoners were perfectly cast and you can tell Cage, Malkovich, Buscemi, and Trejo were having a blast going full ham. It’s so dumb and so fun to watch.

The weirdest thing about Con Air are how the edge-lord serial killer thinks rapists are absolute scum of the earth (yet killing for fun is super-cool,) and still releases Danny Trejo's character instead of killing him, like his supposed hosed-up morals imply he should.

Oh, and also we're supposed to be happy(?) that Steve Buscemi's serial killer cannibal character is free at the end of the movie to LITERALLY KILL AND EAT MORE PEOPLE, but it's ok, because he didn't kill that one little girl and also he sings gospel music while the plane is crashing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the implication, as much as anything in Con Air makes sense, was that the Buscemi character was cured by having one literal person treat him like he's normal

It's not a terrifically logical movie but who cares, it's great lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way Malkovich no-sells "welcome to con Air"

now that is great acting

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: wrong thread

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 2, 2020

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DrBouvenstein posted:

The weirdest thing about Con Air are how the edge-lord serial killer thinks rapists are absolute scum of the earth (yet killing for fun is super-cool,) and still releases Danny Trejo's character instead of killing him, like his supposed hosed-up morals imply he should.

Oh, and also we're supposed to be happy(?) that Steve Buscemi's serial killer cannibal character is free at the end of the movie to LITERALLY KILL AND EAT MORE PEOPLE, but it's ok, because he didn't kill that one little girl and also he sings gospel music while the plane is crashing.

I WORE HER HEAD AS A HAT THROUGH 3 STATES

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

The show goes very rapidly bonkers but in a good way. Really enjoyed the latest season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m on s6e5 of The Americans, finally finishing up.

I can’t handle the tension. I have to pause episodes all the time.

That’s a testament to the filmmaking but not great for trying to marathon and finish.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How to Get Away With Murder literally gets more absurd with every episode, surely this pace can't keep up for 5 seasons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I liked it better when it was called American crime story season 1

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know how anyone remembers anything that happens in The Outsider. Every week I watch the previously on and am just like “......what?”

It’s like it was designed specifically to stop me from paying attention to it at any moment lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I dropped The Outsider. It's just kinda dull and engaging.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve heard a lot of people say Holly Gibney is one of King’s all-time best characters, but the version in this show - despite being played by Cynthia Erivo, who is great - is completely uninteresting and flat.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/ashakiiii/status/1222903869639778304

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have no idea what people see in Uncut Gems, what a thoroughly misanthropic, empty experience that felt like a complete waste of my time. Sandler's fine in it, but I don't think there's anything there that justifies an oscar nomination, not that the oscars should be used as a barometer for any kind of quality tho.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqCVB0tOSVQ

The newscast is en edit. The virus is called "Osaka Flu" in the show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

It’s amazing watching all the “predictive programming” nutjobs deny that there have ever been coronaviruses before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s amazing watching all the “predictive programming” nutjobs deny that there have ever been coronaviruses before.

It's not even coronavirus in the episode. The newscast is an edit from a different episode. The virus in the episode is a flu strain from Japan.