Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

If I want an e-ink screen, physical buttons, backlight, and epub support, is a Kobo my best bet?

If you have your heart set on ePubs probably. Conversion is so easy though, and there have been some heavily discounted Oasis deals lately. I picked one up for $150 and couldn't be happier. IMO it has best form-factor of any eReader I've ever used. It's kind of a love it or hate it type though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I have both an Oasis and a Forma, and have found myself using the Forma pretty much exclusively over the past several months while the Oasis gathers dust. I appreciate the lighter weight and larger screen of the Forma most of all, plus the ease of installing Koreader which allows making proper use of full screen real estate possible. I bought the Oasis for the better backlight but eventually realized that I do most if not all of my reading in places where there's plenty enough light for the backlights on both devices to not really be necessary.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I have both an Oasis and a Forma, and have found myself using the Forma pretty much exclusively over the past several months while the Oasis gathers dust. I appreciate the lighter weight and larger screen of the Forma most of all, plus the ease of installing Koreader which allows making proper use of full screen real estate possible. I bought the Oasis for the better backlight but eventually realized that I do most if not all of my reading in places where there's plenty enough light for the backlights on both devices to not really be necessary.

Yeah I do most of my reading in relative darkness before bed, so the twenty-something self-adjusting lights are a key addition in my personal use case. And I'm in the camp that loves the form factor.

I didn't keep the Forma, but gave one a test ride and thought it was a pretty similar piece of tech. The form factor is very similar. Personally I felt it was a little too big for my tastes. I don't know anything about Koreader, I'll have to look it up. Assuming it's not available for Oasis?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Koreader can be put on the Oasis but it has to be rooted. I haven't had time to try it yet - seemed a bit more convoluted a process than getting it onto the Forma from my casual research.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Koreader can be put on the Oasis but it has to be rooted. I haven't had time to try it yet - seemed a bit more convoluted a process than getting it onto the Forma from my casual research.

Thanks, I look into it. Looks interesting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

If you have your heart set on ePubs probably. Conversion is so easy though, and there have been some heavily discounted Oasis deals lately. I picked one up for $150 and couldn't be happier. IMO it has best form-factor of any eReader I've ever used. It's kind of a love it or hate it type though.

This is true. I love my Oasis. I do the converting of ePUBs with Calibre, send it to Amazon with the special email address, and it pops up. You can also use USB but when you’re a lazy rear end it works great. But the form factor and being able to swap hands effortlessly is so worth it. Other like the temperature functions but the left hand/right hand swap seals it for me. Plus my local library uses Overdrive and the kindle format so it’s a breeze to load up on 5-10 books at a time for free.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I was a long time Nook user and swapped to an Oasis in 2017. Converting from ePUB has been zero hassle. Even if it was, being able to email stuff directly to the device from Calibre has been lifechanging.

My generation doesn't have the color temperature adjustment. Has anybody observed any significant benefits from switching to a model with warmth adjustment? If it's major, I might try to trade up.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I was a long time Nook user and swapped to an Oasis in 2017. Converting from ePUB has been zero hassle. Even if it was, being able to email stuff directly to the device from Calibre has been lifechanging.

My generation doesn't have the color temperature adjustment. Has anybody observed any significant benefits from switching to a model with warmth adjustment? If it's major, I might try to trade up.

I haven't noticed my sleep quality improving our anything but the warm light is way more comfortable to look at in a dark room. I never had any problem with my old Paperwhite but now when I see the screen on it I feel like I grimace involuntarily

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Fellow long-time Nook user reporting in, converted to Kobo Aura One a few years ago and enjoy it, including the light warmth adjustment. It really is easier on the eyes in the dark or just when it's getting late and your eyes could use a break.

I always pack an ereader when I travel and the warmer light is great for flights, fwiw.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'll probably investigate a trade-in if it's going to be next to no money, then.

I feel like a dummy for staying with B&N as long as I did. I guess I just didn't want to give myself to Amazon and any potential big brother stuff. The featureset is killer, especially if you're lazy.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

Thanks, I look into it. Looks interesting.

I pulled out my Oasis and did some re-reading re: rooting, and was reminded that mine auto-updated to too new of a firmware version to be rootable for the time being. It sounds like rooting Kindles is a very hit-or-miss matter with the target always moving (at least for the more recent and current models) because there isn't all that much certainty as to whether OTA updates can be blocked. I'll keep both it and my Forma anyway because I like them for different flavor-of-the-month reasons... the Oasis is a bit more compact than the Forma although not Paperwhite-tiny and has the better backlight, along with direct support for the Kindle-version books I've purchased from Amazon over the years. But I do find the Forma's lighter weight easier to hold for longer periods of time and the larger screen is nice for Koreader to fill wall-to-wall with type.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for this confirmation; I have no experience rooting a Kindle and was wondering if it was just my ignorance or it was actually drat-near impossible.

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
So sometime during moving the screen on my ancient kindle 4 (d01100) cracked. And best I can find for a replacement screen is 25-50 days shipping so I figured I'd see whats changed since then.
As far as I'm concerned the device was basically perfect as far as form factor/usability was concerned, and while I have no love for amazon I did appreciate the easy access to the store from the device, although if other providers can provide similar range and prices Im fine with that.

The only real concern I had with it was that there was no inbuilt lighting, so i had a $2 clip on reading light attached to it which i wouldnt mind replacing.
Given my requirements I assume I can keep it pretty cheap, so happy to look at 5 year old models that are in regular supply for instance.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

A Banana posted:

So sometime during moving the screen on my ancient kindle 4 (d01100) cracked. And best I can find for a replacement screen is 25-50 days shipping so I figured I'd see whats changed since then.
As far as I'm concerned the device was basically perfect as far as form factor/usability was concerned, and while I have no love for amazon I did appreciate the easy access to the store from the device, although if other providers can provide similar range and prices Im fine with that.

The only real concern I had with it was that there was no inbuilt lighting, so i had a $2 clip on reading light attached to it which i wouldnt mind replacing.
Given my requirements I assume I can keep it pretty cheap, so happy to look at 5 year old models that are in regular supply for instance.

Woot still has 2016 Paperwhite refurbs for $60 right now.

Edit: and new old stock 2016 Paperwhites for $70 which have the full year of warranty opposed to 90 days on the redurb

Humerus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 25, 2020

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

A Banana posted:

You can also trade-in a kindle in any condition (including nonworking or broken screen) and receive a 20% discount on a new Kindle. https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=10825010011

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was thinking about how much time I spend reading Reddit posts by dumb people and how long it had been since I had read an actual book, then the Paperwhite went on sale a couple weeks back.

drat I love this thing and haven’t put it down since I got it. Suddenly I’m looking forward to reading in every minute of downtime and my phone battery is lasting twice as long.

Now my wife wants one too and I’m trying to decide between another Paperwhite, or maybe getting a refurb Voyage because the pageturn buttons and glass screen sound nice. Any comments?

I didn’t pay any attention to e-ink devices till just now and I don’t want her to think I just got her the lovely discontinued thing. It definitely seems like there are fewer accessories for the Voyage at this point, and I know she likes my Amazon fabric case on the PW.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

eddiewalker posted:

I was thinking about how much time I spend reading Reddit posts by dumb people and how long it had been since I had read an actual book, then the Paperwhite went on sale a couple weeks back.

drat I love this thing and haven’t put it down since I got it. Suddenly I’m looking forward to reading in every minute of downtime and my phone battery is lasting twice as long.

Now my wife wants one too and I’m trying to decide between another Paperwhite, or maybe getting a refurb Voyage because the pageturn buttons and glass screen sound nice. Any comments?

I didn’t pay any attention to e-ink devices till just now and I don’t want her to think I just got her the lovely discontinued thing. It definitely seems like there are fewer accessories for the Voyage at this point, and I know she likes my Amazon fabric case on the PW.

If your wife plans to eat over the book while reading, the flat screen of the Voyage is worth it (source: my very messy lunch habits at work).

Otherwise my husband has a Paperwhite and I have a Voyage and they're both comparable. Go with the one that has a case she likes best.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Voyage doesn't have buttons, they're pressure sensitive areas so it takes some getting used to, once you get a feel for it it's pretty nice but definitely not the same as actual buttons. As for the screen, the new Paperwhites have flush screens too and if they're not exactly the same, I didn't notice when comparing my wife's Paperwhite to my Voyage.

With all that said, I have an Oasis now so if you end up with a Voyage I'll mail you my gently used purple origami case for the price of shipping.

quick edit: Chaos option: Buy yourself an Oasis and give your wife the Paperwhite

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I think I said it earlier, but Kindles and Kobos are some of the longest-lasting electronics I own. My usual pattern has been to use one extensively for four year, to the point where the battery is starting to show its age. Over the past 12 years, there's been enough technological progress that I feel okay upgrading every four years or so.

My original refurbed snowspeeder Kindle would still work decently enough if the battery hadn't started swelling back in 2013, but I upgraded for faster eInk refreshes.

As long as you have a decent history of small electronics surviving, I think it's okay to spend a little more to get a higher-end unit. A bigger screen, waterproofing, and flush glass screens are all very nice, in a device that will likely outlast your phone.

If your phone can't make it out of the first month with a cracked screen, then get a refurb basic Kindle.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I love my Oasis, but drat the battery sucks. My old Kindle Keyboard lasted MUCH longer. With wifi enabled, it drops by 1% every minute or so. It does last significantly more in airplane mode.

But I love the form factor and lighting, so ultimately I don't regret the upgrade.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Picked up one of the new old Kindles off woot. I think I'm going to be doing a lot more reading now.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Fly Ricky posted:

I love my Oasis, but drat the battery sucks. My old Kindle Keyboard lasted MUCH longer. With wifi enabled, it drops by 1% every minute or so. It does last significantly more in airplane mode.

But I love the form factor and lighting, so ultimately I don't regret the upgrade.

Agreed. The battery is really shite, I'm on my second because the first drained so fast I demanded a swap (talking the latest Oasis). But the screen, buttons, ecosystem, warm lighting... unbeatable. As much as I want to like my Forma as much as well, particularly for the even-bigger screen, I just can't.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really like the form factor of the Oasis and that necessitates the smaller battery, but I keep wondering why they don't just make an Oasis that is exactly the same but uniform in thickness. You could still flip it from hand to hand and the battery would go back to lasting a month instead of a week.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

If you want page turn buttons, go Oasis over the Voyage. I had the Voyage and upgraded to an Oasis within a few weeks and prefer those much more.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Silly Burrito posted:

If you want page turn buttons, go Oasis over the Voyage. I had the Voyage and upgraded to an Oasis within a few weeks and prefer those much more.

The buttons are exactly why I held onto that Kindle Keyboard so long. Personally, it just feels wrong tapping the screen to turn pages. I can understand people not caring about though, especially at the price.

smr posted:

the screen, buttons, ecosystem, warm lighting... unbeatable.

Yeah, it's nearly perfect IMO. I'll hold onto it until (and if) color e-ink screens enter the Kindle family.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll upgrade my kindle only if they release a new big screen version. Loved that Deluxe

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

hatty posted:

I’ll upgrade my kindle only if they release a new big screen version. Loved that Deluxe

loving :same:.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I think I said it earlier, but Kindles and Kobos are some of the longest-lasting electronics I own. My usual pattern has been to use one extensively for four year, to the point where the battery is starting to show its age. Over the past 12 years, there's been enough technological progress that I feel okay upgrading every four years or so.

My original refurbed snowspeeder Kindle would still work decently enough if the battery hadn't started swelling back in 2013, but I upgraded for faster eInk refreshes.

As long as you have a decent history of small electronics surviving, I think it's okay to spend a little more to get a higher-end unit. A bigger screen, waterproofing, and flush glass screens are all very nice, in a device that will likely outlast your phone.

If your phone can't make it out of the first month with a cracked screen, then get a refurb basic Kindle.

They're almost shooting themselves in the foot with it really. I really want an Oasis and I'd buy one without a second thought if my Paperwhite died, but I can't justify it while it's still working. I had a hard enough time convincing myself from upgrading my Kindle Keyboard to a Paperwhite, but the light made it worth it. Meanwhile the 8 year old KK is still working great for my wife.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Hell I can’t be the only one waiting for a color e-ink reader roughly magazine/comic size. Whatever happened to color e-ink anyway?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Silly Burrito posted:

Hell I can’t be the only one waiting for a color e-ink reader roughly magazine/comic size. Whatever happened to color e-ink anyway?

Tech for it is still slow and expensive and the quality isn’t there yet either.

Right now you can see it used for signage in retail stores but I haven’t seen it yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Black/White + Red eink screens are available at hobbiest electronics places now, hopefully a sign that color eink is becoming more mainstream.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Color eInk is really what I'm waiting for at this point too, but it's probably still a couple years off. Full-color is good, but not reasonable in terms of price yet. I have a Pebble Time with color eInk, but the screen is 1.25" square. It's lovely, but could be faster.

The year is still young, but without a significant upgrade, I'll probably break my Kindle upgrade habit (every 4ish years). Between the Voyager and a Kobo H20, I'm honestly covered.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

Not sure there's enough of an advantage at that point over a basic iPad. I imagine the price for a comparable size and resolution eink device, even black and white, is more than an iPad would cost.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

sourdough posted:

Not sure there's enough of an advantage at that point over a basic iPad. I imagine the price for a comparable size and resolution eink device, even black and white, is more than an iPad would cost.

Readability would be my biggest advantage. I've tried reading books on my phone and iPad, and it really does wear my eyes out after awhile. But I can read a Kindle for a long time with no major issues. You're right that price would be an issue, but I'm just looking for something that displays books, PDFs, and comics. I'm not looking for the same functionality as a tablet in this, but that's just me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Silly Burrito posted:

Readability would be my biggest advantage. I've tried reading books on my phone and iPad, and it really does wear my eyes out after awhile. But I can read a Kindle for a long time with no major issues. You're right that price would be an issue, but I'm just looking for something that displays books, PDFs, and comics. I'm not looking for the same functionality as a tablet in this, but that's just me.

I'm real interested to see how comics look on a color e-ink screen. I've switched my comic reading almost exclusively to ComiXolgy (and YAC for non-DRM, Humble Bundle type stuff) on iPad. The interesting thing is the colors pop so much it's unnatural, and I can't even say if I prefer it over paper or not. It's just a different experience.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I hear you on the readability of books on eink vs tablet, but for a comic or magazine, I'm not sure you'd gain much there (just imo). It's more like looking at photos or a video on eink vs tablet, rather than reading.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

taqueso posted:

Black/White + Red eink screens are available at hobbiest electronics places now, hopefully a sign that color eink is becoming more mainstream.
I've got one of those BWR screens and it's slowly turning a weird pinkish color overall, even after multiple B/W refreshes. My Kindle Voyage, on the other hand, still looks fine. So does a BW screen from the same source.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oh that's a bummer, I was thinking about getting one. How pink is pinkish?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Not as bad as it sounds but worse than my phone's camera makes it look (BW top, BWR bottom)

The B/W screen is identical to when I bought it, the B/W/R screen is very much not. If I'd actually used the color screen for an environment sensor project like I'd been planning I probably wouldn't mind, but for anything else the weird tinge + very slow refresh makes me not want to use it.

(This sure will encourage me not to be an early adopter of whoever releases a color e-reader first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that an aliexpress part? Might be just a lovely knockoff. A local grocery chain recently switched from tree-paper to BWY tags so I guess we'll see soon how that goes soon. Still, full color is probably out of question for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of aliexpress, I've occasionally looked at the available readers and there isn't really anything that makes sense over the paperwhite. I guess the screens are still too expensive that they can't do anything compared to Amazon's volume. You save a dozen bucks or two but get a mystery device.