Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Finally saw the trailer, do I just sign up for a Grindr account now or wait for the full release

EDIT: I think this is my best snype yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder how many Jenovas will be in the final game. Seems like more than three, at least.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The next part of the FF7 remake should be called Disc 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF7 Remake-2
FF7-2

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: 2.5 Remix - Endless Love

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Since they're stubbornly refusing to put "episode 1" on the box or store, I'm betting that it's gonna be a weird sitch where the rest of the game is technically DLC

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't care at all about Aerith / Aeris but I am definitely waiting to see how they go with Cait Sith.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Since they're stubbornly refusing to put "episode 1" on the box or store, I'm betting that it's gonna be a weird sitch where the rest of the game is technically DLC

I wonder how many people who haven’t kept up with the news will see and buy the game without realizing it’s only the first part of many.

“WaIT it’s OnLy up THROUGH MIDGAR?!!” they’ll cry, claiming it’s a ripoff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't care at all about Aerith / Aeris but I am definitely waiting to see how they go with Cait Sith.

Kate Shee.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are they going to audition an actual Scotsman to play Cait Sith you think? It's 2020 after all, we don't have to put up with bad accents nowadays.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's gonna be Dan Castellaneta doing his Groundskeeper Willie voice.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

TommyGun85 posted:

3 separate characters make these noises in literally the first 10 seconds of the trailer. Expect maximum sighs, grunts and groans throughout. As Ive mentioned before, Japanese voice direction is an abomination.
Yeah, the game would either require an entirely separate animation for non-JP, or otherwise you'd have characters silently mouthing words constantly because apparently Japanese people in anime/video games cannot stay silent for 5 seconds.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I figured Cait Sith would just sound similar to that little cat thing from Kingdom Hearts 3

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah, the game would either require an entirely separate animation for non-JP

most do, these days

Macaluso posted:

I figured Cait Sith would just sound similar to that little cat thing from Kingdom Hearts 3

one of the compilation's very few good decisions was giving him a brick-thick fake scottish accent and they had better stick with it so help me god

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 2, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

precision posted:

Kate Shee.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if they actually go with the correct pronunciation or not. Do they ever even say his name in the movies / voiced games? Can't recall ever hearing it but there's a bunch of FFVII spinoff stuff I've never played so I probably just missed it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Look I can deal with them saying "Aerith", but Kate Shee is where I draw the line

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I wonder how many people who haven’t kept up with the news will see and buy the game without realizing it’s only the first part of many.

“WaIT it’s OnLy up THROUGH MIDGAR?!!” they’ll cry, claiming it’s a ripoff.

And they would be completely right to do so.

I don't understand why they won't just save themselves some trouble by disclosing it isn't the full game given it is a remake of a known property.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Literally 95 percent of people who buy this will have played the original. For anybody younger than say 30 this is gonna be one of those weird anime games that they don't give a poo poo about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Noted not interested in anime demographic the under-30's

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I'm just wondering if they actually go with the correct pronunciation or not. Do they ever even say his name in the movies / voiced games? Can't recall ever hearing it but there's a bunch of FFVII spinoff stuff I've never played so I probably just missed it.

The Japanese pronunciation is something like Ket Shee, for the record. The English would have to intentionally screw it up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

one of the compilation's very few good decisions was giving him a brick-thick fake scottish accent and they had better stick with it so help me god

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sakurazuka posted:

Noted not interested in anime demographic the under-30's

Well, FFVII is very 80s-90s anime, not modern anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bXL1RSmm2Q

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

Literally 95 percent of people who buy this will have played the original.

Here's a hotter take: the majority of people who play this will not have played the original, and only have the vaguest notions of what happens in it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a hotter take, the vast majority of people, regardless of having played or not the original, will only have the vaguest notions of what happens in it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

precision posted:

Kate Shee.

Is this the correct way? I've always read "Sith" the same as the "Sith" in Star Wars. I figured it was a reference since SE loves its Star Wars references.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, it's the correct way. The name is Scottish.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Son of Rodney posted:

Literally 95 percent of people who buy this will have played the original. For anybody younger than say 30 this is gonna be one of those weird anime games that they don't give a poo poo about.

Are you expecting this to sell like 30k copies or....

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

OhFunny posted:

Is this the correct way? I've always read "Sith" the same as the "Sith" in Star Wars. I figured it was a reference since SE loves its Star Wars references.

It's a reference to a creature from Celtic mythology which is pronounced that way iirc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_s%C3%ACth?wprov=sfla1

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

English is a lot of things but it is not nuanced lmao English is basic af.

I also don't quite remember this part of ff7, did it happen after sephiros killed aerith?

English has a million words to describe very specific kinds of movement (lumber, sashay, trudge, schlep, saunter...), types of smiles and laughter, sounds, etc. No other language has that. I studied translation in college and our professors always insisted on that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah English is one of the top 3 most descriptive languages :confused:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

precision posted:

Yeah English is one of the top 3 most descriptive languages :confused:
What are the others?

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

Nessus posted:

What are the others?

Ido and Lojban.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
German and Italian, I think?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Terper posted:

Here's a hotter take: the majority of people who play this will not have played the original, and only have the vaguest notions of what happens in it.

I really think many people from all ages have played the original over the years, and that those will be the main buyers. Anime games, even high profile one like ff7 are not something people who mainly play cod or fifa will care about.

Hell , in my friend group of people between 25 and 35, I am the only one who remotely cares about this remake. And that includes a guy who has 500 hours in persona 5 and the new fire emblem, each.

Also about my english comment: yeah I kinda didn't think it through or didn't understand what descriptive really means. My point was more about how English is not a very elegant or specific language, but I see that it does have a lot of descriptors (is that a word?).

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

Hell , in my friend group of people between 25 and 35, I am the only one who remotely cares about this remake. And that includes a guy who has 500 hours in persona 5 and the new fire emblem, each.

I mean makes sense. This is actually looking good while your friend apparently loves rolling in garbage for hundreds of hours.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Terper posted:

To be honest I played the original and I only have the vaguest notion of what happens in it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Oxxidation posted:

most do, these days
Lip sync, sure. But I meant the entire mannerisms. Over gesturing, head nodding/shaking.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah a lot of games from Japan have Japanese mannerisms and it looks odd with English VAs. Monster Hunter is a big example, they do that exaggerated nodding all the time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Was Cait Sith's accent always different from Reeve's? Or did Reeve speak with a bad Scottish accent too? I honestly can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah a lot of games from Japan have Japanese mannerisms and it looks odd with English VAs. Monster Hunter is a big example, they do that exaggerated nodding all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKmg5pr3Ko