Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CottonWolf posted:

Was Cait Sith's accent always different from Reeve's? Or did Reeve speak with a bad Scottish accent too? I honestly can't remember.

Dirge of Cerberus confirms that Reeve has Microsoft Scotsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean makes sense. This is actually looking good while your friend apparently loves rolling in garbage for hundreds of hours.

Sa's hatred of persona will always be fascinating, like some corner of dust held up in a busy store.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Dirge of Cerberus confirms that Reeve has Microsoft Scotsman.

They've clearly changed that then, because in the trailer Reeve doesn't have a Scottish accent, so I guess Cait Sith won't either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cait Sith will have Reeve's voice actor doing a bad Scottish accent.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII both own

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Macaluso posted:

Persona 5 and Final Fantasy VII both own

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Clarste posted:

Cait Sith will have Reeve's voice actor doing a bad Scottish accent.

This would be ideal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Was Cait Sith's accent always different from Reeve's? Or did Reeve speak with a bad Scottish accent too? I honestly can't remember.

Cait Sith speaks in an exaggerated Kansai accent in the original, which got localized as one of those country-style accents talkin’ to folks with dropped gerunds n’ such

Reeve ends up blowing his cover as a triple agent when he’s in the middle of a Shinra board meeting while talking to the party as Cait Sith, and accidentally talks to the Shinra execs using Cait’s accent

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oxxidation posted:

Cait Sith speaks in an exaggerated Kansai accent in the original, which got localized as one of those country-style accents talkin’ to folks with dropped gerunds n’ such

Reeve ends up blowing his cover as a triple agent when he’s in the middle of a Shinra board meeting while talking to the party as Cait Sith, and accidentally talks to the Shinra execs using Cait’s accent

Speaking of, I was always surprised that Reeve had zero fallout after saving Barret in Junon. Sure, Cait Sith was ~in disguise~ when he knocked out Scarlet, but nobody commented on

"Hey, we saw your robot assisting in their break out. It's all over the news and we caught it on security cameras. What the gently caress, dude?"

E: I really wanna see how that disguise works in the remake.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nanomachines

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

To be honest I played the original and I only have the vaguest notion of what happens in it.

Did you read Elentor's Love Letter LP? Because it explains a lot. Like, I thought I knew everything about FF7, but his LP proved that I knew nothing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tae posted:

Sa's hatred of persona will always be fascinating, like some corner of dust held up in a busy store.

It's a writing heavy game with terrible characterisation and a worse plot. And it's thematically kind of disgusting. poo poo suuucks.

I just don't like Fire Emblem that much but it has a fair sight better than P5 which holds the record for worst game I ever finished as far as I'm concerned.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kheldarn posted:

Did you read Elentor's Love Letter LP? Because it explains a lot. Like, I thought I knew everything about FF7, but his LP proved that I knew nothing.

Do you have a link?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Do you have a link?

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Do you have a link?
It's in the OP :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Persona 2 is best Persona.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About my LP, I'm not sure how far I went about it in the LP itself, but there are a few assorted posts that I wish I could append to it, mostly referring to:

1) Taking care of mentally ill people in the slums. This happened twice during my childhood. The "this guy are sick" resonated with me because it looked like the community was taking care of him even though he wasn't officially anyone's family, people seemed to care enough to give him a place. A similar thing happened where I live with an old lady. My parents would give me soup and I and other kids would help feed her. I never got to fully know what happened to her (I know it wasn't alzheimer's but at the time the adults never really told us much).
The contrast of seeing the community caring for her and the situation of homeless people in middle class districts is something that... I wish I had written more about it, but I think the LP was already too political.
2) I've ranted since endlessly about the representation of LGBTQ+ people in Japanese media. To this day this is something that bothers me greatly. Maybe even more so now that I know more Japanese people and am more intimate with the fact that... it sucks. I feel like I could go on and on for hours about this. I think it's a good thing for the final material that I managed to keep the tone light-hearted and conciliate it with the satirical, non-PC spirit of the game, but that's something that still itches like a lot.
3) Something that I think I only mentioned outside the thread is how people like the Bro exist in the slums, and they're not represented much. I remember Rodrigo Santoro (Xerxes in 300)'s character in Carandirú, maybe. The thing is that some sex workers had to be gym or fighting enthusiasts because... well, it's mostly a survival thing.

Those are all very personal things. I was inspired by TWD to LP the game because of how intimate FF9 seemed to be to him. After a while people said they missed the Braziltalk but I was trying too hard to make it less personal than it already was.

And some things that I would have changed.
1) Added links to the soundtrack as everyone asked for. I suppose I could have done that before the archival but by the end I was a bit burnt.
2) I didn't add many voiced videos. At the time I felt very insecure with my English. I like the reception and I tried to be as chill as possible, but I would probably have changed my character entirely. I'm much more comfortable and happier now.
3) Something I've always been on the fence about is whether I should have added more videos showing the bosses as... I guess intended? I don't know. I really put a lot of effort into killing them in creative ways and I like the final result, and the truth is that the original game is not like the greatest example of gameplay ever. Despite how much I'm not a fan of action games, FF7R is all but guaranteed to smash the original in that department.

Other than checking for grammar mistakes (of which there are plenty), I never really read my LP while I was doing it (and I think few people do), but I checked on it multiple times ever since. It's amazing how much I forgot about the game, and how hard it is to retain some of its plot elements. Sometimes I go back and read it, and to my surprise I don't find myself overly critical of it as I do some other works of mine. I guess there are some lines or images that I would have changed, but I'm mostly happy that the thread existed and grateful for it. Past the initial turbulence, I had an unbelievably good time with the thread.

And that was a good vibe. I don't think I'll like FF7R very much but if I ever LP it I would like to try to see the game for what it does good rather than what I perceive it to do wrong. I also learned to let go of the fact that I learned English in a fundamentally flawed way, and no matter how much I try to study it, I'll never stop making certain mistakes. But that's fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't fathom having the energy to play something I said multiple times I stated I'll hate, maybe I don't have the brain chemicals to handle it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Elentor I think you showed off the right bosses when it came to "here's how it's really done". Either that or you were clear that people not cheesing the system would find said boss difficult. I seem to recall you showing how to cheese the wall boss in the Temple of Ancients, but also made a video or said how that boss is one of the harder bosses for players the first time through.

Boss that I remember having an exceptionally hard time on the first time I ever played FF7 were that wall boss, the robot in the underwater base that had the two grabby arms, that two headed dragon in the ice cave, and the scorpion thing right after Nibelheim. Although to be fair, that last one wasn't so much that it was hard, but because I knew about getting Vincent beforehard, but didn't know his limit break turns him into a monster for the rest of the fight that ONLY DOES FIRE ATTACKS (that boss heals from fire attacks)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

I can't fathom having the energy to play something I said multiple times I stated I'll hate, maybe I don't have the brain chemicals to handle it

I'm critical of some changes, but I'm not nearly as intense about them as you might think. Like I can go and say "the game really doesn't need a new theme" because the old one works fine but the new one is pretty good (for me at least) and I've been listening to it. It's pretty chill.

Ultimately the original is still there, and unless FF7R literally deletes the original like War3R (not likely to happen) and burn all existing copies somehow, then part of me ultimately will be happy with seeing all the stuff in glorious HD even if just for the appreciation of the hard work of the artists, and no amount of ughs aghs and ohhhs will change that. I also think genuinely, after watching the trailers, that the gameplay will probably be just a downright improvement from the original. It might not be an improvement in the genre I wanted, but I think you'd have to be pretty blind not to acknowledge that it's looking decent.

Despite everything I'm glad that this project is a thing.

Edit: Also I'd never do a 30 min video essay on how much the game sucks or whatever. Not that I wouldn't write huge walls of text on anything, but I'd rather not do that, and I'm not a youtuber so ranting about a game would not be a money making opportunity for me. Life's going good, I'm happy and I'd rather see the positive in things.

I know this sound hippie as gently caress but that's how it is.

Macaluso posted:

Elentor I think you showed off the right bosses when it came to "here's how it's really done". Either that or you were clear that people not cheesing the system would find said boss difficult. I seem to recall you showing how to cheese the wall boss in the Temple of Ancients, but also made a video or said how that boss is one of the harder bosses for players the first time through.

Boss that I remember having an exceptionally hard time on the first time I ever played FF7 were that wall boss, the robot in the underwater base that had the two grabby arms, that two headed dragon in the ice cave, and the scorpion thing right after Nibelheim. Although to be fair, that last one wasn't so much that it was hard, but because I knew about getting Vincent beforehard, but didn't know his limit break turns him into a monster for the rest of the fight that ONLY DOES FIRE ATTACKS (that boss heals from fire attacks)

Thanks, I'm glad to know it sort of worked. Funnily enough in the process of trying to invent ways to kill them I think I found out how some of them were meant to be killed (like the bosses vulnerable to confusion) that I'd never figure out otherwise because the game... kinda doesn't force you to.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 2, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Terper posted:

It's in the OP :argh:

Who reads OPs?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I swear to god Carry Armor is by far the hardest standard boss in the game

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Man, don't even get me started on WC3R.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Captain Foo posted:

I swear to god Carry Armor is by far the hardest standard boss in the game

I don't recall ever having trouble with that guy. TotA probably had the hardest story bosses for me. At least until I got Great Gospel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can never be bothered by grunting and gasping in games, because I've played Uncharted and the Tomb Raider reboots

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've legit never even noticed it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't either, not really. It's weird to me that it's become this big thing

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Do actual Japanese people accompany every movement with a noise? Or just in anime?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know plenty of Jp ppl who find it stupid so it's an anime thing and much like overacting in Brazilian comedies not something that like every local loves.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Man, don't even get me started on WC3R.

Looking forward to the 7R equivalent of this writing

https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1223114669021257728

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

One of the scenes I'm really looking forward to seeing if it got recreated or deleted is when Barret seemingly takes aim at the party and then shoots a guy in the face because he was stalking the party. It's one thing to watch that happen with goofy block people, but we're not working with those anymore.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Barett instead shivs the guy with his atomic scissors.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We see an X-Ray vision of the Atomic Scissors perforating his organs, Mortal Kombat style. Reeve watches in horror and reviews the ethics and morals talk he had saved for later.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Big Taint posted:

Do actual Japanese people accompany every movement with a noise? Or just in anime?

Obviously I can't generalise but when I spent some time in Japan I noticed a lot of people would make exaggerated little noises when they exert themselves (e.g. when picking stuff up, reaching to grab something, etc.), but definitely no gasping and grunting any time anything happens ever like in all these trailers.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Kith posted:

One of the scenes I'm really looking forward to seeing if it got recreated or deleted is when Barret seemingly takes aim at the party and then shoots a guy in the face because he was stalking the party. It's one thing to watch that happen with goofy block people, but we're not working with those anymore.

They'll probably have him fire warning shots and scare the guy off, or simply cut out that part entirely.

One of the things I don't like about this new direction is how much they seem to be cleaning up AVALANCHE/the heroes (I.e. The reactor scene change).

Obviously I hope they don't, but from the limited stuff we've seen so far it sort of feels like that's what's happening. If they do heavily tone down the party's actions then that is really going to take the bite out of that Cait Sith/Reeve scene at the Gold Saucer. That is one of my favourites precisely because of how it reminds you that "Oh yeah, these guys are eco-terrorists. They've got blood on their hands."

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 3, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Where do you guys think they’ll end part 1? The Nibelheim flashback at Kalm seems like it’d make the most sense, assuming they still have the flashback there. Ending at Kalm would also let it have a bit of postgame with the chocobo farm and probably some extra stuff and a hidden superboss or two.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

Where do you guys think they’ll end part 1? The Nibelheim flashback at Kalm seems like it’d make the most sense, assuming they still have the flashback there. Ending at Kalm would also let it have a bit of postgame with the chocobo farm and probably some extra stuff and a hidden superboss or two.

I’m almost certain it’s going to end with them standing outside Midgar planning their next move. Ending cinematic might show Kalm in the distance while the credits begin to roll.

Then part two can begin with the flashback. First scene of the entire game being the truck in the rain.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

They'll probably have him fire warning shots and scare the guy off, or simply cut out that part entirely.

One of the things I don't like about this new direction is how much they seem to be cleaning up AVALANCHE/the heroes (I.e. The reactor scene change).

Obviously I hope they don't, but from the limited stuff we've seen so far it sort of feels like that's what's happening. If they do heavily tone down the party's actions then that is really going to take the bite out of that Cait Sith/Reeve scene at the Gold Saucer. That is one of my favourites precisely because of how it reminds you that "Oh yeah, these guys are eco-terrorists. They've got blood on their hands."

Its weird that Barret is now this dude that crawled out of the decimation of his hometown brought on by the betrayal of the company he trusted; stapled a gun to his wrist stump and started a terrorist cell dedicated to the destruction of Shinra and now on his midnight raid on one of their primary facilities where AVALANCHE murders the entire security team he plants a bomb that will kinda wreck a control panel for the couple hours it would take Shrina to fix that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I hope the game fades to black right when you get out of Midgar and take Aeris and Tifa with you, as Barret gets pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it'll end right after wedge and biggs and jesse die because they are going to draw this out forever.