Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's dumb they let him show up with the walker. gently caress off you rapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Among other bizarre things she claimed he had a vagina and the prosecution felt it necessary to point out she was not currently on psychotropic drugs.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Fat people can have their penis covered by their fat which makes it look like they have a vagina. My wife is an ED nurse and complains about having to find penises all the time in order to put catheters in

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Hodgepodge posted:

Too bad, because assuming you already know what's going to be said is the first step towards not being able to figure out the answer to the last question here:

This is like when Josh Hartnett's character in 40 Days and 40 Nights had to apologize for being raped by his ex girlfriend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

B-Rock452 posted:

Fat people can have their penis covered by their fat which makes it look like they have a vagina. My wife is an ED nurse and complains about having to find penises all the time in order to put catheters in

It's hard to find the end of the apron.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

King Vidiot posted:

If you're saying that my post was implying that "all women use their looks to get what they want", then I'm sorry I didn't clarify. I meant sociopaths (I mean assuming Heard is one, I've known several) who also happen to be attractive will use that as a means to get what they want or to abuse other people.

Did Depp have this problem with any other woman he was in a relationship with, or just Heard?

No. I'm saying your creepy head canon personality critique and psychological diagnosis of a domestic violence victim you've never met, based purely on your apparent preference for her drunken drug addict husband, is gross. And weird.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SimonCat posted:

This is like when Josh Hartnett's character in 40 Days and 40 Nights had to apologize for being raped by his ex girlfriend.

As far as sex romps go that movie was the worst

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Anonymous John posted:

It sucks how women tend to get easily written off as "crazy bitches", but Amber Heard definitely got the crazy eyes going on.

It's part of a larger (though understandable given the blind spots in human psychology and cognitive heuristics) issue wherein people associate physical appearance and other physical traits(usually strongly correlated with what society considers unattractive) with negative character/behavior. "You can tell he's a creeper just by looking at him/She's clearly a psycho, just look at those crazy eyes", are literally some of the logically dumbest things anyone could have come out of their mouth. Like, objectively, when someone says something like this in real life everyone should look at them like they're a blue-faced, colloidal-silver drinking, Anti-Vaxx Scientologist, because that's the level of critical thinking the person is operating at.

As per usual the inverse is also a thing, with studies showing that physically attractive people are perceived as being more trustworthy and reliable.

Human "reason" is honestly just loving insufferable.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 3, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

I only just heard about her severing the tip off his finger. That audio is something else though, mocking Depp for trying to get help. She talks like an abuser.
WTF? :staredog:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

She threw a bottle at him and it broke, cutting him.

Then he almost died in the hospital from MRSA.

At the time everyone assumed he got drunk and accidentally did it to himself.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No. I'm saying your creepy head canon personality critique and psychological diagnosis of a domestic violence victim you've never met, based purely on your apparent preference for her drunken drug addict husband, is gross. And weird.

There's a nearly hour-long version of the audio recording on YouTube, where Heard mocks Depp for getting a security guard involved, trying to leave the room when she gets violent, admits to throwing things at him, repeatedly tries to downplay her hitting him and just generally comes across like an abusive, gas-lighting piece of poo poo. I'm not saying Depp wasn't also abusive, but it's pretty clear that Heard wasn't just a victim here.

And Heard was previously arrested for domestic abuse for hitting her then-girlfriend in public at an airport, the ex-girlfriend tried to claim it was just the arresting officer being a misogynistic homophobe, but it turned out the cop was an open lesbian.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Horrible Taste posted:

There's a nearly hour-long version of the audio recording on YouTube, where Heard mocks Depp for getting a security guard involved, trying to leave the room when she gets violent, admits to throwing things at him, repeatedly tries to downplay her hitting him and just generally comes across like an abusive, gas-lighting piece of poo poo. I'm not saying Depp wasn't also abusive, but it's pretty clear that Heard wasn't just a victim here.

And Heard was previously arrested for domestic abuse for hitting her then-girlfriend in public at an airport, the ex-girlfriend tried to claim it was just the arresting officer being a misogynistic homophobe, but it turned out the cop was an open lesbian.

Yeah, Depp isn't innocent in all this but it's pretty drat clear Amber Heard is one hell of an abuser in her own right.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I saw The Assistant this weekend. Limited release right now.

If you haven't heard of the movie, it follows one day in the life of a low level assistant at a New York film production company. She gradually realizes her boss is a scumbag.

There's minimal theatrics, no splashy takedowns, no heroic journalists or brave victims or anything like that. The film isn't a thriller. Instead, it's a very cold, grey look at the culture in the film industry. The film never shows or directly names the Weinstein figure, because he's not the point. The point is the system that made his abuses possible, including rampant and subtle sexism, lack of worker solidarity, poor working conditions, blurred lines between work and pleasure, no accountability, etc.

I have a friend who works as an assistant and she said the details and workplace was incredibly realistic. It's certainly not uplifting or overwhelmingly entertaining, but it's fascinating if you're interested in this stuff.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Among other bizarre things she claimed he had a vagina and the prosecution felt it necessary to point out she was not currently on psychotropic drugs.

Maybe Harvey likes doing a penis-tuck while Goodbye Horses plays in the background?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't there still a bunch of proof that Depp attacked Heard?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The Johnny Depp/Amber Heard audio really is pro-listen insanity. You hear about this poo poo but being a fly on the wall is something else.

The only girlfriend I ever had hit me was back in high school, she layed into me for real when she heard I had previously hooked up with some girl she hated before we were together and a few other times for poo poo I can't even remember. I always just did the "turn your shoulder/back to the punches" thing guys always do. I didn't think much of it at the time as it didn't seem like a big deal physically (I played football) and I guess I just didn't think about the mental implications, but It's kinda crazy to think this is what things could've turned into if I stayed with her. But she wasn't nearly as quick to anger as Heard is. Just listening to that audio reminded me of my Dad and his 0-60 mph in 0.2 seconds insane anger issues. It was like sitting at the dinner table with a bomb. You were always just waiting for it to explode.

Rhyno posted:

No idea about other evidence, but in fairness to both parties it can probably be generally assumed from the audio that Depp is doing the taping and that Heard is unaware of it, so obviously he's going to be more careful about what he says, admits to, and even his tone of voice, than Heard is.

But it's still ridiculously damning for Heard. He mostly just let's her pop off (and boy she loving does), and it's clear from their discussions about past arguments that their pattern is for him to withdraw and physically remove himself from the situation when things blow up and this just enrages her even more.

E: vvv Wow, well then....I'd really hate to see what she's like in private.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 3, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

-Blackadder- posted:

The Johnny Depp/Amber Heard audio really is pro-listen insanity. You hear about this poo poo but being a fly on the wall is something else.

The only girlfriend I ever had hit me was back in high school, she layed into me for real when she heard I had previously hooked up with some girl she hated before we were together and a few other times for poo poo I can't even remember. I always just did the "turn your shoulder/back to the punches" thing guys always do. It's kinda crazy to think this is what things could've turned into if I stayed with her. But she wasn't nearly as quick to anger as Heard is. Just listening to that audio reminded me of my Dad and his 0-60 mph in 0.2 seconds insane anger issues. It was like sitting at the dinner table with a bomb. You were always just waiting for it to explode.

No idea about other evidence, but in fairness to both parties it can probably be generally assumed from the audio that Depp is doing the taping and that Heard is unaware of it, so obviously he's going to be more careful about what he says, admits to, and even his tone of voice, than Heard is. But it's still ridiculously damning for Heard. He mostly just let's her pop off (and boy she loving does), and it's clear from their discussions about past arguments that their pattern is for him to withdraw and physically remove himself from the situation when things blow up and this just enrages her even more.

Reportedly it was recorded consensually on her phone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Frankly I'm a little more forgiving of it if the situation is "he lashed out against a psychopath who has been doing the same and worse to him regularly" instead of "he's an abusive monster." It's a pretty bad situation to be in and having a hosed up response to it doesn't make him undeserving of empathy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I look forward to a bunch of hot takes (probably not here) yelling 'this makes it harder for real abuse victims' despite them never believing women anyway.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The bit that made me sad was Depp, in character as Jack Sparrow, trying to jokingly explain away why his finger was hosed up to a little kid.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Coffee And Pie posted:

The bit that made me sad was Depp, in character as Jack Sparrow, trying to jokingly explain away why his finger was hosed up to a little kid.

There's a note by him that sounds even MORE sad and depressing and reads like a suicide note over at the Era thread about this. There more and more I read that thread and stuff gets posted, the more I remember the Jussie Smollett thing about people looking back on all the inconsistencies and wondering how people fell for such an obvious grift. Like there's a post about faking texts by ripping them from the metadata, the police reports contradicting her accusation, some stuff about camera footage showing her letting James Franco into their private suite when Depp wasn't around, her domestic abuse prior and the gaffe of her accusing the officer of homophobia only for her to turn out to be openly lesbian and an activist, making GBS threads on their bed as a some kind of prank, etc..

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1224468433682591745?s=20

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

doomrider7 posted:

There's a note by him that sounds even MORE sad and depressing and reads like a suicide note over at the Era thread about this. There more and more I read that thread and stuff gets posted, the more I remember the Jussie Smollett thing about people looking back on all the inconsistencies and wondering how people fell for such an obvious grift. Like there's a post about faking texts by ripping them from the metadata, the police reports contradicting her accusation, some stuff about camera footage showing her letting James Franco into their private suite when Depp wasn't around, her domestic abuse prior and the gaffe of her accusing the officer of homophobia only for her to turn out to be openly lesbian and an activist, making GBS threads on their bed as a some kind of prank, etc..

What thread is this?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julius CSAR posted:

What thread is this?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ju...ff-post.167967/

Here's info on Heard's arrest being allegedly homophobic and a really good piece about the whole situation.

https://www.inquisitr.com/3185259/amber-heard-arrest-the-homophobic-cop-is-a-gay-woman-tasya-van-ree-was-lying-to-protect-amber/

https://medium.com/@TabethaWallace/if-you-really-loved-me-johnny-depp-amber-heard-782d0f29ea4

Apparently some people who vouched for Heard were still receiving financial compensation which is just all kinds of hosed up if true.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 5, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Interesting, HBO aired Simmons' Def Comedy Jam. Probably the end of that partnership.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

doomrider7 posted:

There's a note by him that sounds even MORE sad and depressing and reads like a suicide note over at the Era thread about this.

I couldn't find it, page?

Also, I got like 5 pages in and that thread makes that forum sound like a horrible reddit echo chamber.

E: That last bit of Roberts' testimony about how Depp went from warm and social to depressed and sleeping all day was rough to read.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 5, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

-Blackadder- posted:

I couldn't find it, page?

Also, I got like 5 pages in and that thread makes that forum sound like a horrible reddit echo chamber.

E: That last bit of Roberts' testimony about how Depp went from warm and social to depressed and sleeping all day was rough to read.

Yeah Era is...a place. It's distilled Neogaf which makes sense since it spawned from the break of with current Neogaf being uber right to alt-right and Resetera being the opposite. It's not the worst place especially if you're lefty, but even then there's a walking on eggshells feel that's really uncomfortable at times.

Edit: Here's the page.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ju....167967/page-17

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 5, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Guess Doug Stanhope was right about Amber.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Guess Doug Stanhope was right about Amber.

And worst of all: JK Rowling was right about Depp.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/LAmag/status/1224803660917563394?s=20

quote:

Newport Beach surgeon and reality TV star Grant Robicheaux and his girlfriend Cerissa Riley faced decades in prison for allegedly drugging and raping multiple women. On February 4, in a stunning reversal, Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer announced that he plans to drop all charges against the couple. In our February issue, Jason McGahan delved into the sordid saga of Robicheaux, his model girlfriend, and their stunning defense.

quote:

Lawyers for the picture-perfect couple will argue that drugs, including GHB, were a regular part of the party scene of Newport Beach and that the alleged victims knew what they were getting into. The defense will try to reframe the accusations within the sexually permissive culture that reigns in this balmy beachside playground for the wealthy. They might be helped by the fact that the county’s new top prosecutor had questioned the handling of the case before taking office.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh my god, holy poo poo.

A literal "we're rich and 'picture perfect' so rape culture is just a part of our cultural tradition" defence. :stonk:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah that loving irritated me since she's loving terrible.

...loving WOW!

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...k&ICID=ref_fark

in this version the DA claims to have mountains of evidence, thousands of videos, but when he decides not to run for re-election his successor couldn't produce any of it.

Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said his team found no evidence of any assaults by the couple, despite the county's former prosecutor insisting a year and a half ago that he seized "thousands of videos" and there could be "more than a thousand" victims. There is not a single piece of evidence or video or photo that shows an unconscious or incapacitated woman being sexually assaulted," Spitzer said Tuesday. "Not one."

He accused former District Attorney Tony Rackauckas of using the case to promote his re-election efforts in 2018, in what Spitzer called a "blatant abuse of power."

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

WaywardWoodwose posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...k&ICID=ref_fark

in this version the DA claims to have mountains of evidence, thousands of videos, but when he decides not to run for re-election his successor couldn't produce any of it.

Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said his team found no evidence of any assaults by the couple, despite the county's former prosecutor insisting a year and a half ago that he seized "thousands of videos" and there could be "more than a thousand" victims. There is not a single piece of evidence or video or photo that shows an unconscious or incapacitated woman being sexually assaulted," Spitzer said Tuesday. "Not one."

He accused former District Attorney Tony Rackauckas of using the case to promote his re-election efforts in 2018, in what Spitzer called a "blatant abuse of power."

Even BIGGER loving WOW! Like, was the stuff faked or bullshit then and this guy was simply using it as material for reelection? Or did he just not give a gently caress anymore when he left the race?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Eh, Spitzer has a long history work place harassment and was even a censure from his own party for 'extortionary campaign fundraising'. Dude probably just took a bribe to drop everything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Are you thinking of Eliot Spitzer or is this just a thing with people named Spitzer?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nickwiger/status/1224855428493795328

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

AceOfFlames posted:

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that loving irritated me since she's loving terrible.

Wait, I never read the books, but the movies at least seemed passable, I mean they weren't Twilight-bad or anything.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

-Blackadder- posted:

Wait, I never read the books, but the movies at least seemed passable, I mean they weren't Twilight-bad or anything.

She didn't use to be terrible, or least hid it well. But google her name and "transphobic" or "TERF". (And, while I want to stress that this matters so much less, those Fantastic Beasts movies, where she's writing the scripts for the first time, are pretty god awful.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thrawn527 posted:

She didn't use to be terrible, or least hid it well. But google her name and "transphobic" or "TERF". (And, while I want to stress that this matters so much less, those Fantastic Beasts movies, where she's writing the scripts for the first time, are pretty god awful.)

You forgot to add racist as hell and possibly colonialist given some of the HP lore about Native Americans and her portrayal of Palestine in her other series(Palestinian villain who may have been trans was portrayed as MASSIVELY anti-semitic simply by default). It's the same issue as Orson Scott Card where YA author who wrote books that spoke greatly and deeply to their audiences about issues they may be going through turns out to be a horrible person.