Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Strange, I was browsing my library just now looking at some old games and clicked on Zack Zero, which is a bad game you shouldn't play (but I did back in 2013), and an achievement unlocked for completing the game. I did that six years ago, Steam?? The game's not even installed or anything, just clicking it in the library unlocked it. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Glare Seethe posted:

Strange, I was browsing my library just now looking at some old games and clicked on Zack Zero, which is a bad game you shouldn't play (but I did back in 2013), and an achievement unlocked for completing the game. I did that six years ago, Steam?? The game's not even installed or anything, just clicking it in the library unlocked it. :confused:

Might be a leftover save file from back then.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Seeing as WC3:Reforged is a disappointment to many, how is Spellforce 3 and the standalone expansion for it? I am in the mood for an RTS/RPG hybrid. I played the original and 2 a decade ago.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

FWIW I disagree with pretty much all of this, the gameplay wasn't a chore even 100 hours in and I liked applying oils manually pre-combat against especially tough opponents since just having a flat damage boost at all times was boring. It's not "optimal" but appropriately Witcher-y.
It's a nuisance, is what it is. Auto-oiling is one of those things that should've been in the game to begin with. The only reason you'd ever intentionally not use one is because continually reapplying them is incredibly tedious, because goddamn does this game have a lot of combat. Well, that or because you forgot.

I'm not really a big believer in the idea that good abilities should by being balanced out by being too obnoxious to use all the time, so auto-oil is something I very much recommend.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Might be a leftover save file from back then.

I found a single txt configuration file in a relevant folder, so that must be it. I didn't know achievements could even unlock without the game being launched to be honest, and it's not even installed so I dunno why it's syncing that up all of a sudden. Also weird that the Post-game Summary that came up dates the achievement correctly to 2013, but the game stats page shows it as unlocked today. I'll chalk it up to some client weirdness.

Incidentally, far more people on my friends list have this game and actually played it than I would have thought, but to their credit only a few bothered to beat it. We must all have gotten it in the same bundle.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
One of the devs released a balance mod for Witcher 3. Could be worth a look.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2788/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a nuisance, is what it is. Auto-oiling is one of those things that should've been in the game to begin with. The only reason you'd ever intentionally not use one is because continually reapplying them is incredibly tedious, because goddamn does this game have a lot of combat. Well, that or because you forgot.

I'm not really a big believer in the idea that good abilities should by being balanced out by being too obnoxious to use all the time, so auto-oil is something I very much recommend.

It's not especially good design and in general I'm not a fan of balance via "holding yourself back", but I didn't find the combat tedious or anything so I just didn't apply oils in most fights instead of reapplying them continually and had a good time.

Like I said I did it in preparation in especially big fights or if I knew I was going to face a certain type of enemy in a dungeon or whatever, not constantly or mid-fight. A bit of preparing ahead of time felt very appropriate for witchering and a good balance between just having static +50% damage against everything at all times and constant inventory shuffling whenever the charges ran out.

If the combat takes too long then just dropping the difficulty requires no modding at all, more or less serves the same purpose as giving yourself a permanent damage boost.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

It's not especially good design and in general I'm not a fan of balance via "holding yourself back", but I didn't find the combat tedious or anything so I just didn't apply oils in most fights instead of reapplying them continually and had a good time.
I was talking about the ability itself. Honestly, I agree with you, most fights just aren't difficult enough to really need an oil to begin with. It's available at all times and useful whenever you do use it, though, so if people want to have that buff up all the time, the only thing that stops them shouldn't be that the game makes it to much of a bother to actually do so. You know what I mean? I think that kind of thing is just fundamentally bad game design.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Xaris posted:

Yeah I just got CSD3 and played a bit tonight after really only having played CSD1 when it came out, and... I'm loving bad at it and, I don't think I'm feeling good about myself playing it nor see myself improve a lot because I just can't memorize enough hotkeys on 4-5 different pages for enough recipes. Gunna have to chalk it up as one of those "it's a great game that I hate playing and makes me feel too dumb and impotent", sadly
I don't have CSD3 yet but one thing that really helped me with CSD2 was that it allowed you to set up hotkeys based on UI position rather than individual ones for each item (gridkeys, essentially), and I assume the devs brought that forward to CSD3. There was still some memorization needed but, at least me, it's a lot easier to memorize the UI position for items and hit the appropriate key compared to memorizing each individual unique hotkey.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would have no problem with the current oil system if only the Witcher 3 had a better quick select/hotkey system. The auto apply mod is a little too autopiloty for my tastes but I totally see why people use it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiovorax posted:

I was talking about the ability itself. Honestly, I agree with you, most fights just aren't difficult enough to really need an oil to begin with. It's available at all times and useful whenever you do use it, though, so if people want to have that buff up all the time, the only thing that stops them shouldn't be that the game makes it to much of a bother to actually do so. You know what I mean? I think that kind of thing is just fundamentally bad game design.

it makes you feel like a witcher, in a game called, 'the witcher'. if you want easier fights all the time without thinking about it why not just turn down the difficulty? Agree about the UI, iirc Friendly HUD is a good mod to make it easier.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For what it's worth I beat W3 on the hardest difficulty without oiling once beyond like, I think it was an alghoul fight that I was doing too low level? It's wholly unnecessary to even bother with the oils.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, if the interface didn't make manual use so annoying, I don't think that mod would even exist. The devs clearly didn't see any need to put any other restrictions on oil usage aside from the cost of constantly replacing them, so it's not like you aren't supposed to be able to use it at will. The game just makes it really inconvenient for you to actually do so.

sebmojo posted:

it makes you feel like a witcher, in a game called, 'the witcher'. if you want easier fights all the time without thinking about it why not just turn down the difficulty? Agree about the UI, iirc Friendly HUD is a good mod to make it easier.
It's not really about difficulty. I don't really feel a lot like a Witcher when I need to repeatedly navigate a badly designed video game UI because nobody considered the fact that this would start to be a real annoyance over the course of a 100+ hour game. It's simply a legitimate design oversight, in my opinion.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 2, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cardiovorax posted:

Strongly disagreed, auto oiling would take a lot of the flavour out of the game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Auto oiling was one of the most popular mods of W3, because literally no one gave a poo poo about the stupid oiling system. People that do are a rounding error.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

please oil your auto at recommended intervals

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Johnny Truant posted:

Gonna start The Witchehhhh 3 today, any mods that are absolutely essential?

I'm not joking when I say get the "scabbards for everyone" mod. Every sword in the game has a specific scabbard but the base game only gave them to Geralt if I remember right. The mod gives all the NPCs the relevant scabbard for their sword and for some reason it makes a huge difference to immersion. At least it did in my case anyway.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Auto oiling was one of the most popular mods of W3, because literally no one gave a poo poo about the stupid oiling system. People that do are a rounding error.

So the two people in this thread who disagree do not exist?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Pretty sure they are sentient Russian troll bots

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pretty sure they are sentient Russian troll bots

we only have one sentient russian trollbot on this forum and their name is tei and they are precious

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Not meaningfully, no

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Oiling would have been a good thing if it had significant impact, like doubling, tripling and quadrupling your damage. As it is, with 50% max, it's not worth it unless you are struggling with a boss fight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

fappenmeister posted:

Seeing as WC3:Reforged is a disappointment to many, how is Spellforce 3 and the standalone expansion for it? I am in the mood for an RTS/RPG hybrid. I played the original and 2 a decade ago.

I enjoyed Spellforce 3 a lot though it is a lot heavier on the economy side of the building than you probably expect (not difficult, you just have to assign a limited pool of workers to your various buildings instead of just building individual work units) but it does somehow balance the hero stuff really well, especially in the UI.

I haven't played the expansion. A small tip for the game if you pick it up is that you have a different main character for the first few missions as it's a tutorial. Shortly into the game, you'll make your own hero and be able to set up their skills however you want.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Spellforce 3 is cool, kind of an evolution of the RTS/RPG hybrid that WC3 is, in that there are skill trees, dialogue choices and a more in-depth inventory. Large sections of the game are entirely RPG, in fact.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished blasphemous

does anyone know why one of the final bosses is voiced by what sounds like a meek teenage girl trying to tell the starbucks cashier that she got the wrong order

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Johnny Truant posted:

Gonna start The Witchehhhh 3 today, any mods that are absolutely essential?

All Quest Objectives On Map is the real QoL mod. It doesn't spoil anything, it just means when you check your map, you can see all your current quest objectives instead of only your active quests. It means you can feel comfortable sweeping up every side quest, and then you can go area-by-area clearing the objectives you have nearby.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes, that's the point they were trying to make. If you counted all the people with an opinion on the oiling system, the percentage that shared that view was essentially zero.
I've not played the Witcher 3, so I assume the oiling system gives stat boosts to penetration and reductions in chafe rolls.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gromit posted:

Yes, that's the point they were trying to make. If you counted all the people with an opinion on the oiling system, the percentage that shared that view was essentially zero.
I've not played the Witcher 3, so I assume the oiling system gives stat boosts to penetration and reductions in chafe rolls.

About ten people gave opinions, two of which liked manual oils. In what world is that "essentially zero" percent?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
If you dislike the mechanic, wouldn't it make sense to install a mod that removes oils entirely instead of permanently giving yourself a +50% damage cheat?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Joe Man posted:

If you dislike the mechanic, wouldn't it make sense to install a mod that removes oils entirely instead of permanently giving yourself a +50% damage cheat?

You're cheating yourself 10 seconds of life each time you'd use an oil. The extra damage is already in the game and you still have to meet the requirements to craft the oil.

Also, single player game, do what you want, etc...

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 3, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fat Samurai posted:

You're cheating yourself 10 minutes of life each time you'd complete a quest. The extra xp is already in the game and you still have to meet the requirements to finish the quest.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Navigating the UI is exactly the same as doing quests, and certainly the part of the Witcher everyone enjoyed, correct.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

meticulous preparation is a part of the witcher that people enjoy

(4,324 reiterations of this argument loop later)

actually i am not sure i ever cared about this issue

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

meticulous preparation is a part of the witcher that people enjoy

Then they can ignore the mod and enjoy the game the way they want and I'll certainly won't blame them for it.

Fat Samurai posted:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The combat in W3 is mediocre at best, just play it on story so you can whirl/flamethrower everything while enjoying the great story.

Also give yourself like a million gold so you can ignore all those treasure spots.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just install Friendly Hud so you can use all your bombs, oils and pots from the radial menu instead of having to pause the game.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Mokinokaro posted:

I enjoyed Spellforce 3 a lot though it is a lot heavier on the economy side of the building than you probably expect (not difficult, you just have to assign a limited pool of workers to your various buildings instead of just building individual work units) but it does somehow balance the hero stuff really well, especially in the UI.

I haven't played the expansion. A small tip for the game if you pick it up is that you have a different main character for the first few missions as it's a tutorial. Shortly into the game, you'll make your own hero and be able to set up their skills however you want.

Mordja posted:

Spellforce 3 is cool, kind of an evolution of the RTS/RPG hybrid that WC3 is, in that there are skill trees, dialogue choices and a more in-depth inventory. Large sections of the game are entirely RPG, in fact.

Thank you both! Added to the wishlist, bummer as they were just recently dropped.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Avalerion posted:

The combat in W3 is mediocre at best, just play it on story so you can whirl/flamethrower everything while enjoying the great story.

Also give yourself like a million gold so you can ignore all those treasure spots.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Well I finished DUSK, probably the first game I've actually completed this year, its super great! If you like FPS or Doom or Quake or just shooting poo poo and great level designs then it's well worth playing.

Such a nice feeling to play through a whole game in a weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

About ten people gave opinions, two of which liked manual oils. In what world is that "essentially zero" percent?

Considering they specifically mentioned the popularity of a particular mod, I thought it was evident they were talking about a wider audience. But you know, whatever - I've never even played the game.