Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, specifically not sugars and therefore not covered by the phrase "other sugars"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i don't think "pedantic hair-splitting" is any kind of reference lost on modern audiences, jesus loving christ you nerds.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHzWBLHAbFg

Film at 11.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

The real scam is not that they make you pay for your own copy, it's that they mail advertisements to your grandparents and encourage them to shell out. I graduated about the same time as you and I remember getting a ton of Who's Who marketing materials targeted as family members, presumably because they're easier marks.

I don't remember my grandparents getting pressured, but I do remember the teacher whose name I put down being encouraged to buy one.

My parents shelled out for two of them in different years. I have no doubt my mom still has them.

hexwren posted:

and there were several chucklefucks from our incredibly average semi-rural high school in there.

Now I'm wondering the scope of these books. My high school was quite rural; was this created as a thing to appeal to our non-cultured parents that their Billy Bob here is as good as them city kids with them there museums?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are class rings still a thing? It just occurred to me my kid didn’t even ask for one. She adamantly refused to get a Varsity letter jacket too. Do high schoolers just not care about those things anymore?

All my kids care about is being TikTok famous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man that's like... out of the frying pan and into the fire

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are class rings still a thing? It just occurred to me my kid didn’t even ask for one. She adamantly refused to get a Varsity letter jacket too. Do high schoolers just not care about those things anymore?

Nobody gave a gently caress about class rings at least 25 years ago; same with letter jackets unless you were an athlete and even then not always.

High school class reunions are another thing likely to fade in coming years, my 10 year had 20 of 200 show up (I was not one) and they didn’t even bother with a 20 year.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Krispy Wafer posted:

At least back when I was in high school (2000-2004), letterman’s jackets and class rings were really expensive for most people - I want to say around $500 to get both. At my high school, it was possible for sophomores to get jackets, so you could at least amortize the value over a few years, but a class ring? Basically outdated the day you got it.

Lots of kids still spent a lot of money they - or their parents - couldn’t really afford to get them, though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There are specific universities and academies that still care about class rings. Some of them look like Super Bowl rings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Now I'm wondering the scope of these books. My high school was quite rural; was this created as a thing to appeal to our non-cultured parents that their Billy Bob here is as good as them city kids with them there museums?
I'm pretty sure there were a million of them put out by various different companies in different times and places. It's a pretty obvious scam¹, and once you've seen it once it's pretty easy to come up with your own version to sell to your own particular subset of customers.

¹ The original idea being a book listing the notable and influential members of a particular society, which probably existed for all of about three minutes before someone went "I bet John is real pissed about not being included - and I bet he'd pay good money for a 'new edition' with his name in it, and so would plenty of other people..."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

At least back when I was in high school (2000-2004), letterman’s jackets and class rings were really expensive for most people - I want to say around $500 to get both. At my high school, it was possible for sophomores to get jackets, so you could at least amortize the value over a few years, but a class ring? Basically outdated the day you got it.

Lots of kids still spent a lot of money they - or their parents - couldn’t really afford to get them, though.

Anecdotally kids are spending a lot less than I remember on stupid high school protocols. No more class rings, fewer varsity jackets, cheaper homecoming and prom dresses (my kid just ordered $30 ones off Amazon and had them altered). Yearbooks are still really expensive, but none of my kids seemed to really care about them. That's probably the next thing Millennials Wiillennials are going to kill.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Huh, there's a thing.

quote:

Rachel: I mean why, of all people would you want to go out with Chip?!
Monica: Look, you and I went to different high schools...
Rachel: Okay, that doesn’t help me, because we went to the same high school.
Monica: You went to one where you were popular, and you got to ride off Chip’s motorcycle, and wear his letterman jacket. I went to one where I wore a band uniform they had to have specially made.
Rachel: (shocked) They had to have that specially made?!
Monica: It was a project for one of the Home Ec classes.
Rachel: (stunned) Oh my God, they told us that was for the mascot!

I always thought that the line was supposed to be 'leather jacket' (cause of the motocycle) and Courtney Cox fluffed the line as 'leatherman' - perhaps she'd just been talking about pocket knives - and I always wondered why they left that in.

'references in older media lost on foreign audiences'

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Krispy Wafer posted:

Back in ye olden days when I was in high school (class of '81), class rings were a very big thing. At the beginning of the senior year, you got your order form and, if you were lucky, you'd get the ring just in time for graduation. Gold rings for guys could cost over $250-300 (now over $750+). I got mine in a metal called "Siladium" (a stainless steel alloy) from a local jeweler for $95 ($295 today). I got in the middle of the year. Most of my friends lost their rings within months. I stil have mine in a box somewhere.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Early 00s graduate, I fought my parents on the class ring because it was obviously a huge waste of money even 20 years ago but they did it anyway.

I actually sold it at a slight profit when gold prices spiked like hell

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i had a letterman jacket and a class ring. i wore the jacket all of the time because the big dumb sleeves made excellent pillows to sleep on. i didn't want the class ring but my parents bought it anyway, i promptly lost it and if i found it again i would sell it for the thirty bucks worth of gold in it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I work in media and have contacts with various high schools in my area.

Lettermen's jackets are still regularly worn by athletes at most schools. At one in particular, the kids are seemingly hog wild about getting as many achievement patches as possible sewn on them. That seems to be common across all income levels at this school. Surprisingly, the one private school isn't into wearing them and I'm only somewhat sure they even have letter jackets.

Class reunions, though, are pretty dead. My class had about 150 graduates. We had a 10-year, which I didn't attend. None have been attempted since. The class president, who ran on the campaign promise that our reunions would be the best ever (because we were all stupidly optimistic teens), lives 1,500 miles away and comes back to the hometown as little as possible. I live 30 miles away. I, too, visit my hometown as little as possible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was curious if classmates.com was still a thing and I've been waiting for about 45 seconds for the screen to load so I'm thinking it maybe isn't.

No wait, it's finally coming up. And it's not rendering properly in Chrome and there are broken window placeholders. So technically it is still a thing, but not by much.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Surprised that it wasn't just completely bought out by Facebook. Maybe they (correctly) figured they could just out-advertise them anyway.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

It'll be a single lug size, but the head will fold into the relatively flimsy hollow handle and it's really not meant for heavy use. The old school bash-your-head-in tire iron is definitely something younger audiences wouldn't have seen out in the wild. And like you said, that's if you even have a spare tire and not a can of Fix-a-Flat. You could probably do more damage with a can of Fix-a-Flat than the newer tire irons.

The flimsy tire irons aren't necessarily a bad thing. Most people will never get a flat tire. Those that do will usually call a service.

Every car I've ever owned has come with the "bash your head in" variety. Of course the last car I bought was in 2012 so what do I know. Do new cars not come with spare tires/jacks/tire irons these days? That would suck, I mean yeah you can call someone but putting on a spare is like a 5 minute operation if you've ever done it before. Also "most people will never get a flat tire", what? Flats seem more like a once every few years thing than a maybe once in a lifetime thing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shut up Meg posted:

Huh, there's a thing.

I always thought that the line was supposed to be 'leather jacket' (cause of the motocycle) and Courtney Cox fluffed the line as 'leatherman' - perhaps she'd just been talking about pocket knives - and I always wondered why they left that in.

'references in older media lost on foreign audiences'

to be fair, the practice has fallen out of popularity even in America, though I think Riverdale-type shows are reviving interest in that and a lot of midcentury americana aesthetic anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Early 00s graduate, I fought my parents on the class ring because it was obviously a huge waste of money even 20 years ago but they did it anyway.

Same, graduated very early 2000’s. My mom and dad INSISTED I’d care about it to the point of me giving up and just picking one so they’d leave me alone. I’ve never worn it, because it’s a huge dumb ring celebrating high school and I was immediately in college, where caring about what you did in high school was super dumb.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Class reunions, though, are pretty dead. My class had about 150 graduates. We had a 10-year, which I didn't attend. None have been attempted since. The class president, who ran on the campaign promise that our reunions would be the best ever (because we were all stupidly optimistic teens), lives 1,500 miles away and comes back to the hometown as little as possible. I live 30 miles away. I, too, visit my hometown as little as possible.

My parents never went to a high school reunion. I don't recall if we had a 10-year, but I wouldn't have gone either way.

I looked up a Reddit post on the subject, and it's mostly people saying the same thing. There was even someone on the planning committee, and it never materialized because there wasn't enough interest. Part of it is probably the rise of social media - it's a lot easier to keep in touch with people. Part of it probably depends on where you live. I grew up in the northern New Jersey, and honestly, so many people have moved away at this point that when I go back to visit my parents, there's nothing to do since nobody is around. I'm not going to spend a couple of hundred to travel back to see people I didn't choose to keep in touch with.

Especially with 10-year and 20-year reunions. I could understand 40 or 50 years, where it's a chance to meet again, and just talk to people who remember what it was like when you were younger.

I wonder too if school size also plays a role. I think I only known one person who went to their high school reunions, but they came from a smaller town. My class had over 200 people in it. Not huge, but still. I could go and find out that the people who went to my reunion were all the people I didn't really care about and now I'm in an awkward dinner where I have to be the guy I was in highschool to a bunch of people I'll promise to keep in touch with but never will.

I know there are some areas where the high school plays a big part socially and culturally, and there's a lot of school pride. You know, songs from the 60s like "Be True To You School." Or down south where the high school football teams are a big deal. But I know for me and my friends, school was just a place we went to. I don't really talk about the schools I went to with pride. It was where I got an education. Honestly, if I were to go to a reunion, I'd be more likely to go to a college reunion for my major, since those people and I actually spent meaningful time together. Those are the people I'd care more to catch up with.

And I have a class ring. Or had. I don't know. I never cared about it. Honestly, it's a waste, but it got us a half-day when we were juniors, so I'll take it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I would have gone to my 10-year high school reunion but I couldn't spare any more time off from work. That's got to be a factor for people who are locked into jobs with stricter and stricter vacation policies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the decline of reunions is 100% "I already know what my friends look like fat and bald". It's not even a long tradition. People went ape poo poo for high school reunions from probably 1950 to the 1990's. I can't blame it on Boomers because there were plenty of Silents and Greatest gen's in on that action too, but it made absolutely no sense for Gen-X and Millennials.

We had some people who were REALLY into our class reunions, but I think they finally gave up. If I see a new post on my high school Facebook group it's because someone's dead. Nowadays any news out of my old high school is terrible. No one wants to be associated with that.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wasnt invited to my unofficial high school reunion, but someone remembered to add me to the Facebook group the day after it happened. I'm not bothered but it's a real odd gesture.

Apparently only 50 or so people showed up, out of 450, so yet another anecdote for the dying popularity of those things.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't see the appeal of a reunion. Why would I want to talk to people I haven't talked to in 10-20 years?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I went to college 1500 miles away from my hometown to get away from those chucklefucks. Now it's years later and you expect me to voluntarily tolerate them again?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I think I had around 800 people in my high school class (1997) and apparently around 200 people went to my 10 year reunion but less than 30 went to the 20. I had no interest in going to the 10 year because I wasn’t going to pay the $100 per person cover for my wife and I to hang out in a lovely hotel banquet hall with a bunch of people that we didn’t really like when we were in school, let alone 10 years later. Plus they didn’t even have an open bar. Someone made out like a bandit that night because how the hell can you charge that much per person and still have a cash bar (I’ve been to events in that convention hall before. It’s not that expensive)? I think the 20 year reunion was a more reasonable affair, but again, didn’t really want to catch up with people I never associated with in the first place.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Here's an honest question - were high school reunions really that popular?

I think it's the thing where we look at TV, and we think "Oh yeah, it has to be the case," but what if it's simply an easy way for a writer to introduce conflict, since going to a reunion means dealing with people for whom your image has remained stagnant for 10 or more years, the conflict between the person you were and the person you are, and dealing with comparisons to people you went to school with? "Oh yeah, he's a VP at his company while I'm still sweeping floors at Burger King!"

I feel like it's the kind of concept that's easy enough to understand regardless of your interaction with it. Somewhere, some one will be having a high school reunion.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't see the appeal of a reunion. Why would I want to talk to people I haven't talked to in 10-20 years?

I went to an unofficial 30-year reunion, but it consisted mainly of people who still lived in the same city (as sad as that might seem).

Now, after seeing what a lot of my schoolmates have become (via Facebook posts), I don't really want to see them again.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's an honest question - were high school reunions really that popular?

It's something I wonder about a lot of high school social tropes, given how absent they were from my (early 2000s) high school experience, but I would've put letterman jackets into that same category, to say nothing of class rings from loving high school? I thought those were an outdated fancy university tradition.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Reunions were relatively popular. There were those whole cultural tropes about renting a fancy car so everyone thought you were rich. Then you had movies like Peggy Sue Got Married or Romey & Michelle. That stuff doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Something that happens once every decade can’t be THAT popular. But like the Census it was something that Boomers got worked up about.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the thing to remember is, that the overall strength of the american social fabric is profoundly impoverished relative to even recent history. i can't find the exact article, but more people were invovled in regional bowling leagues in the 60s than engage in every other hobby society still active today. your parents had twice as many close friends as you do, because (statistically speaking) they worked fewer hours for better pay.

edit- we're living in an age where people basically have to monetize every one of their hobbies in hopes that one goes viral enough that they can escape the drudgery of wage slavery. we're going to have to explain that to our kids. this will probably be around the same time when we have to start explaining what pensions were.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the thing to remember is, that the overall strength of the american social fabric is profoundly impoverished relative to even recent history. i can't find the exact article, but more people were invovled in regional bowling leagues in the 60s than engage in every other hobby society still active today. your parents had twice as many close friends as you do, because (statistically speaking) they worked fewer hours for better pay.

edit- we're living in an age where people basically have to monetize every one of their hobbies in hopes that one goes viral enough that they can escape the drudgery of wage slavery. we're going to have to explain that to our kids. this will probably be around the same time when we have to start explaining what pensions were.

It's an entire book, Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam. And it's almost 20 years old now, things have gone from bad to dire since.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

As I understand it, high school reunions basically served as the pre-social media yardstick by which you could compare your successes and/or failures in life against those of your peers. And just like on social media today, people at high school reunions would try their best to convey that they are, in fact, successful, and their life is somehow better than yours. With social media, of course, reunions are no longer necessary.

My dad recently drove from Atlanta to Philadelphia for his whatever-decade high school reunion. That's dedication!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Something that happens once every decade can’t be THAT popular. But like the Census it was something that Boomers got worked up about.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The bowling thing is no joke. My great grandfather had a moderately successful business in our town and while doing some genealogy research on newspapers.com I plugged in the company name and holy poo poo all the company bowling league results. Men’s and women’s. And it was important enough to get box scores in a major newspaper. So many different teams in the 40’s and 50’s.

But like everything back then it’s not a 1:1 comparison with today. A lot of people bowled, but now people do a wider variety of activities. It’s like how Michael was the most popular name with 25% of all boys. Now Noah might be the most popular boys name with 2% of all boys. The pie IS smaller, but there are more slices.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
My father graduated in '69, and I remember him going to his 30th. I think for the 40th anniversary, they had the closest years all combined (so like 67-70 or something like that) and they did a joint reunion, since there were fewer and fewer people around by then. 50th, nothing happened because Facebook is a thing and they all keep in touch that way.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I graduated in 2001 and class rings were still a thing but I don't think anyone made a big deal over it. There was a small table just past the main entrance selling them. I did see people buying them but it was far from everyone. I never bought one. I both felt it was a waste of money, and hate wearing jewelry. For some reason my high school reunion was held in a smaller town near the one where we went to school. I don't know why, I never bothered to go.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Funny, the reunion things are, at the same time, very different and kinda similar in Lithuania, even if a lot of them formed under the USSR. I don't remember if my parents had class reunions, but they deffo had university course reunions. And I don't think anybody does it in the "class of 19XX" sense here - it's usually more private and only for the group of people you studied with (like, you move through all your classes with the same 30ish people).

When I had my 10 year school reunion, I very much had this:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Now, after seeing what a lot of my schoolmates have become (via Facebook posts), I don't really want to see them again.

I reconnected more with people who weren't present, because I texted them during drunken stupor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
My 20 year reunion was a couple of years ago and was a non-event. There was maybe 15 people attending at the hometown, with another 8 getting together at the closest big city. Class of about 150 people. Compared to the past, I think (anecdotally) that people of my generation were more likely to get a university degree, which meant moving away from our hometown and the GFC lead to a lot of people relocating too. Not one travelled to attend in the this age of Facebook.