Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

It's not even coronavirus in the episode. The newscast is an edit from a different episode. The virus in the episode is a flu strain from Japan.

Yeah, someone mentioned that in the thread, but even aside from that I just love seeing people go all-in on dumb conspiracy theories despite all evidence to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Watched two episodes of Avenue 5 this morning.

It's a great idea with an amazing cast but... I dunno, I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. Terrible direction and editing? Hugh Laurie's and Josh Gad's characters are the only ones the viewer gets any sort of background on via dialogue. If a viewer hasn't read about Avenue 5 in the media before hand they won't ever get clued in on what the deal is with Ethan Phillip's character. It's like they shot everything and gave it to a concussed intern to string together in the editing room.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fabulousity posted:

It's a great idea with an amazing cast but... I dunno, I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. Terrible direction and editing? Hugh Laurie's and Josh Gad's characters are the only ones the viewer gets any sort of background on via dialogue. If a viewer hasn't read about Avenue 5 in the media before hand they won't ever get clued in on what the deal is with Ethan Phillip's character. It's like they shot everything and gave it to a concussed intern to string together in the editing room.

I didn’t like the first episode much because Josh Gad’s character is such a cliche “moron constantly making everything worse”. I’d rather have the problems arise more organically than “dipshit who thinks he’s a genius fucks everything up”.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I rewatched the first two episodes with a friend this week and i found myself laughing a lot more than I did when I first watched them. I have a feeling this is a show that's going to grow on people.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fabulousity posted:

Episode 3 of Avenue 5 had me actually laughing out loud a few times, the first 2 episodes were like....ok, but not great and I was watching for the Armando Iannucci pedigree

for whatever reason every single joke landed in this one. It's like the first 3 episodes were supposed to be a 1.5 hour premiere or something and I was watching the actual wrapup of the pilot, I really didn't think the first 2 were that great either outside of Zach Woods

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I didn’t like the first episode much because Josh Gad’s character is such a cliche “moron constantly making everything worse”. I’d rather have the problems arise more organically than “dipshit who thinks he’s a genius fucks everything up”.

I think this is a big part of what the show's talking about. Idiots who think they can out argue physics, but who are actually stuck in a (mostly) hard sci-fi story. Hence Judd ordering people to "fix" the time delay, or all the jokes about the coffins, or the idea that passengers would rather have a hot crew than a competent one.

I'd been thinking for a while that maybe Ethan Phillips had deliberately sabotaged them, but now I'm wondering if the artificial gravity is completely broken because it needed to "be like Star Trek" rather than use actual science?

It's been pretty fun playing guess the saboteur. Like I said, I was leaning towards Ethan Phillips trying to create a disaster so he'd look good when saving them, but now I suspect that maybe Matt (Zach Woods) is just deliberately trying to make everyone as miserable as possible, so who even knows.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:haw: we kissed in the tomato sauce :haw:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My friend made a supercut of every time Joe Pera introduces himself https://youtu.be/pgJstoQR0kg

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SimonChris posted:

It's not even coronavirus in the episode. The newscast is an edit from a different episode. The virus in the episode is a flu strain from Japan.

It's so easy to fool people these days

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

My friend made a supercut of every time Joe Pera introduces himself https://youtu.be/pgJstoQR0kg

Joe is so wholesome. I love him. I'm watching season two now but episodes 9-11 are locked and require a cable provider login, which I don't have. Some of the previous episodes were temporarily locked while it was airing, so hopefully these will be unlocked too eventually. I guess I could just buy those three but I don't really want to do that either. This is a real dilemma right here.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Finally got to finish Sex Education season 2. I thought it was better overall than season 1, but I already miss the clinic stuff. I always have trouble trying to explain this show to people but usually just say that it's cringe personified but in like the best way possible. Also thanks to this thread have got back into Hannibal. I forgot how just gory that show was for a network show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Futurama: still p good, I miss it though it ended before it got a bit too poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s a bit of a dip in quality but there’s still decent stuff in the Comedy Central seasons. The actual finale is really sweet and well done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a bit of a dip in quality but there’s still decent stuff in the Comedy Central seasons. The actual finale is really sweet and well done.

Yeah I enjoyed it the whole way through but I thought it suffered for not having to work around censors and relied a bit too much on pop culture to cover

Still good the whole time though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Futurama pulled off a rare thing by having a great finale, coming back, then having another great finale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Futurama pulled off a rare thing by having a great finale, coming back, then having another great finale.

Three finales, even! “The Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings” and the last bit of Into the Wild Green Yonder both work as decent potential finales.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally finished The Americans. V good finale.

When it premiered, I said it was a show for another time, that China was now America’s biggest foreign threat.

I was wrong about that, but I wasn’t wrong about how great the show would be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Americans finale was absolutely perfect

And I'm glad that despite a lot of people guessing that ending for years, the showrunner didn't change it out of spite

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fabulousity posted:

I am loving it so far. I think it's better watched with friends, but for me I love the sense of endless dread brought on by additional (preventable) incompetence. The Captain getting mad at everyone for the very thing he was doing seemed an apt mirror for our time, made more palatable by the fantastical setting. Excited to see where they go with this and it is filling my ~30-minute show~ slot quite nicely.

RBA Starblade posted:

Futurama: still p good, I miss it though it ended before it got a bit too poo poo

:hai:

Time to re-re-re-re-rewatch Futurama. :fry:

Disenchantment is growing on me more and more, as well. Had some Futurama references in the latest season, hoping they can keep ramping up the quality. :unsmith:

precision posted:

The Americans finale was absolutely perfect

And I'm glad that despite a lot of people guessing that ending for years, the showrunner didn't change it out of spite

D&D's spectacular implosion and loss of a billion (?) in projects has hopefully served as fair warning: stick the landing or :fuckoff:.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In general I'd be hard pressed to name any show that executed itself as well as The Americans. I think it beats out BrBa, Deadwood, all of them. It was a real honest to god epic that kept to a fantastically small number of main characters and presented a real growth to them all.

And of course Phil and Liz were just so well cast

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Time to re-re-re-re-rewatch Futurama. :fry:
This is a good idea. It's on Hulu, isn't it?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Do we have a Korean tv thread?
'cause "Crash Landing on You" is pretty good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just saw an ad for a show starring Al Pacino about a group of people getting together to hunt Nazis and it looks like it'll be fairly interesting (if for nothing else than for how upset the Nazis are going to get over it existing).

Is there a thread for it already?

EDIT for the ad:

https://twitter.com/huntersonprime/status/1222217777815048193

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 3, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYT Op ed piece dropping an Actually, saying Goop's Netflix show is bad is problematic article.

quote:

When Netflix announced the trailer for Gwyneth Paltrow’s “The Goop Lab” in early January, the media and #medtwitter made dire predictions for both the streaming service and for humanity itself. The show would surely promote “dangerous pseudoscience,” peddle “snake oil,” and be “undeniably awful for society.” Longtime Paltrow critic and health law researcher Timothy Caulfield was among the many opiners who warned on Twitter of the “spread of health misinformation” and the “erosion of #criticalthinking.” Other relevant hashtags included #PostModernDarkAge and #saynotogoop.

Six episodes of the show finally dropped late last month, and so far civilization seems to be more or less intact.

So what underlies all the overwhelming, predictable, repetitive critiques? What exactly is so awful about a bunch of consenting adults seeking self-knowledge, vitality, and emotional freedom?

Yes, the rich, willowy blonde at Goop’s helm is an easy target. No, the average Jane can’t afford plasma facials or a trip to Jamaica to drink magic mushroom tea under the guidance of a legitimate shaman. And sure, we know all about the Yoni Egg Debacle, wherein the company had to pay a hefty fine for making unsubstantiated medical claims. Disclaimers are now rightfully in place all over both the site and the show, and obviously we should always practice good hygiene, but it’s worth repeating that so far there are no documented reports in the medical literature of yoni eggs causing anybody harm.

The tsunami of Goop hatred is best understood within a context that is much older and runs much deeper than Twitter, streaming platforms, consumerism or capitalism.

Throughout history, women in particular have been mocked, reviled, and murdered for maintaining knowledge and practices that frightened, confused, and confounded “the authorities.” (Namely the church, and later, medicine). Criticism of Goop is founded, at least in part, upon deeply ingrained reserves of fear, loathing, and ignorance about things we cannot see, touch, see, authenticate, prove, own, or quantify. It is emblematic of a cultural insistence that we quash intuitive measures and “other” ways of knowing — the sort handed down via oral tradition, which, for most women throughout history, was the only way of knowing. In other words, it’s classic patriarchal devaluation.

Pejoratives like “woo” or “pseudo-science” are still often applied to anything that falls outside of the mainstream medical establishment. (Think about this the next time you hear something harmless or odd or common-sensical dismissed as an “old wives’ tale.”)

Traditionally, “woo” modalities have been practiced and taught in relative secret, which protected practitioners but limited their reach. When we become empowered to learn more about our bodies, our instincts, our emotional landscapes and the connections therein, maybe we’ll begin to demand that our complex and (still!) mysterious physiologies are treated with respect, dignity, and humility in the realms of medicine and science. Until then, we’ll take the curiosity and experimentation of a celebrity luxury capitalist whose good fortune it is not to have to worry about actual burning at an actual stake.

How dare you say that drinking bleach to cure autism is bad

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Was that op-ed written by Marianne Williamson?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That article is profoundly stupid in many ways

For one thing, Aleister Crowley, Michio Kaku, Terrence McKenna, and Tim Leary weren't women, so the casting of "woo" as a feminine trait (or as being gendered at all) seems... spurious

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
NYT is trash and should only be used as a fire starter or to clean up vomit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Or well I guess they can just say that the patriarchy has co-opted the feminine woo, lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

NYT Op ed piece dropping an Actually, saying Goop's Netflix show is bad is problematic article.

How dare you say that drinking bleach to cure autism is bad

There's a really good podcast that I strongly recommend called "The Dream."

Season 1 is about MLMs, and the current season is about the supplement industry.

The one thing I had never thought about for the whole "alternative medicine" thing, is that science and medicine has been very male-focused. This has made a lot of women feel that doctors don't really understand them, and that's why they've turned to alternative medicines with dubious claims of effectiveness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Was that op-ed written by Marianne Williamson?

Wellness grifters don't like it when you point out wellness is a scam

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sure she sold a porous object that can become infested with bacteria and lead to septic shock and death but there's no verifiable cases of that specific thing happening so no harm, stop being so anti- feminist, gosh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it because I'm older and cynical or do Superbowl commercials suck a lot more now than they used to

I feel like that back in the day, Superbowl ads were like the only regular source of memes and so people's enjoyment of memes (and let's be real, we all love memes) maybe overshadowed how stupid the commercials are. Now everything seems like it's trying to be poignant or an obvious attempt at going viral. Tide just ripped itself off from last year.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 3, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
:posts an opinion:

precision posted:

I'll never understand why goons are so enthusiastic about praising Sandler any time he does something vaguely decent.

precision posted:

Opinions, I know, how do they work

:thunk:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Is it because I'm older and cynical or do Superbowl commercials suck a lot more now than they used to

I recall in the 90's there were a lot of one-offs, and otherwise special commercials you'd only see during the Superbowl. These days it feels like they're just premiering their new ads for the year because you'll see them again over the next few months, unless it's overly controversial for some reason.

Weirdly enough, last night during the short stint I watched before I started nodding off was nothing but local ads, the Rick and Morty ad, and one for Fox Nation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's more a side effect of marketing just getting more out there in general, so the superbowl commercials don't stand out as much.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Recent years have had some iconic/memorable/well made/at least funny ads, I think this year just especially sucked.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

I feel like that back in the day, Superbowl ads were like the only regular source of memes and so people's enjoyment of memes (and let's be real, we all love memes) maybe overshadowed how stupid the commercials are. Now everything seems like it's trying to be poignant or an obvious attempt at going viral. Tide just ripped itself off from last year.

IMO it's because we're all getting older so we're not the 100% target demographic anymore. As for last night some were funny but others were not. TONS of jingoism (Thanks Trump!) The one ad that got me jazzed was the Disney+ Marvel shows preview. I think we got to see USAgent's back walking onto a football field and WandaVision looks exactly like I hoped.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Recent years have had some iconic/memorable/well made/at least funny ads, I think this year just especially sucked.

I can't think of any, but I can still remember the Pepsi pigeons Danger Zone commercial.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nike probably won the Super Bowl advertising this year, as a bunch of us thought the intro video was going to be a Nike commercial, but wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's like the schmaltzier the commercial the more likely it's going to be a bank or insurance company. At least there weren't any ghosts of dead children reminding me that little kids die sometimes so maybe life insurance for them isn't such a bad idea. What was the "typical american" one yesterday, was it a truck commercial? All I remember is "typical americans showing up where they're not wanted" over an image of a troop and I was like "whoa drat" but it was just another "troop surprises loved ones" deal.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nike probably won the Super Bowl advertising this year, as a bunch of us thought the intro video was going to be a Nike commercial, but wasn't.

Yeah it was just the NFL sucking its own dick, I don't think you need to advertise for football during the Super Bowl guys.