Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Wraith squadron was dope

Phanon or whatever his name was dying slowly while Face tried to save him, a super star destroyer orbiting overhead as face pulls a broken speeder along.

poo poo was emotional as hell to 12 year old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The young Jedi books were such utter trash and I read them all anyway.

There’s a moment where a bunch of students band together to force push Star destroyers away from Yavin and a force sensitive clone from a race of identical clones gets cooked by force magic energy.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
The Prince dude from dark forces has sexy pheromones that make everyone want to bone him, despite him looking like Voldemort.

He also has a sexy robot servant lady who is also a ninja assassin I think.

Dark forces writer was a horn dog I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
think you mean shadows. don't besmirch the name of katarn lightly.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Abongination posted:

There’s a moment where a bunch of students band together to force push Star destroyers away from Yavin and a force sensitive clone from a race of identical clones gets cooked by force magic energy.
they were bad, yeah. but if you read them when you were 12 or 13 and then later read the new jedi order it was kind of powerful to see these kids go off to war, being forced to grow up, and then ultimately become mega traumatized.

Zane fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 27, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nothing's perfect! Anakin and the Mole People is the worst episode, followed up by any episode following Padme and C-3P0.

Notably the Clone Wars TV series does a lot more to follow up on this depiction of the Clone Wars than what we ended up with in Episode III. The failure of the prequels is epitomized in Lucas somehow wasting Christopher Lee as a bad guy.

I mean yeah, there were some fantastic moments (Ventress fight, Anakin’s phantom limb Force choke, everything on Coruscant) but the series as whole doesn’t deserve the weird reverence it’s somehow obtained. Also the horrible mole people subplot went on for like four episodes.

Abongination posted:

You need to clarify, was this Young Jedi Knights or Junior Jedi Knights??? Because somehow both of these series were allowed to exist in tandem.

Abongination posted:

The Prince dude from dark forces has sexy pheromones that make everyone want to bone him, despite him looking like Voldemort.

He also has a sexy robot servant lady who is also a ninja assassin I think.

Dark forces writer was a horn dog I guess.

That’s Shadows of the Empire. Dark Forces owns and is good. Even the amazingly cheesy cutscene acting in DF2, co-starring Discount Store Will Wheaton.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hazo posted:

I mean yeah, there were some fantastic moments (Ventress fight, Anakin’s phantom limb Force choke, everything on Coruscant) but the series as whole doesn’t deserve the weird reverence it’s somehow obtained. Also the horrible mole people subplot went on for like four episodes.

I recall one Mole People episode that felt like it went on for like 22m. Perhaps because I experienced Clone Wars after the fact I didn't realize it went on a number of weeks.

It gets the weird reverence because of Tartakovsky animation and the breath of fresh air it was compared to the prequels (it was very night and day, especially in 2005). It's not a coincidence that the Clone Wars TV show has also come to be well-regarded, but struggled from its association with the prequels and its own piece of poo poo kickoff movie.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

how do you hornfuck an otter?????

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squizzle posted:

how do you hornfuck an otter?????

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nothing's perfect! Anakin and the Mole People is the worst episode, followed up by any episode following Padme and C-3P0.

Notably the Clone Wars TV series does a lot more to follow up on this depiction of the Clone Wars than what we ended up with in Episode III. The failure of the prequels is epitomized in Lucas somehow wasting Christopher Lee as a bad guy.

yeah. i will give ROS one thing and that it makes 3PO do poo poo other than act like a dumb coward which is what lucas always wanted him to do.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We need some more facts, here's a post about :catdrugs:.

Here's an energy spider. They live in the spice mines of Kessel where they capture light-creatures called bogeys in webs made of glitterstim to suck out all their delicious energy. That glitterstim would then be mined by slaves to create the most expensive form of spice that allegedly boosted people's telepathic abilities while also making them trip balls.

This here's a giant Firaxan shark that lives in the depths of the ocean on the planet Manaan. It looks just like all the smaller Firaxan sharks that live near it, but it's actually the progenitor of all life on the planet and the god of the Selkath, the sentient species that live on Manaan (and possibly the result of ancient alien experiments). It can drive the Selkath into a mindless rage to protect it, and it secretes a weird healing goo called Kolto that can be harvested up on the surface to be a great medical drug that somehow relies on the progenitor because it goes inert if you kill the giant firaxan shark. Whether or not the progenitor is dead, kolto is later surpassed by bacta.

But if you can't find yourself some giant beast that squirts out drugs, well maybe you can be like this guy. Arconan's eyes are supposed to be green, but the bulk of the species has become addicted to a substance that turns their eyes yellow as well as being a highly addictive hallucinogen. There are strict restrictions on their home planet, but offworld it's nearly impossible to not fall into addiction, because the drug that acts so strongly upon them is common throughout the galaxy as table salt. They also need to take ammonia supplements.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Giant otter to your right, Han.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Front page of Wookieepedia:

quote:

Cypher Bos was a notorious Nalrithian bounty hunter active during the Galactic Civil War. He worked predominantly for the Galactic Empire, but also for Jabba Desilijic Tiure, building up a reputation as a violent and capable hunter.

In 3 ABY, Cypher tracked down his eggmate, Phoedris Bos, hoping to kill and impersonate him in order to infiltrate the Alliance to Restore the Republic. He had heard of an impending mission involving Phoedris and Han Solo, and believed that in one swoop he could ruin the Alliance and capture Solo's bounty. Cypher and Phoedris faced off on Ord Mantell; after using the mental link they shared—which existed because the two had hatched from the same egg—to learn many secret Rebel codes, Cypher killed his brother.

Solo arrived several weeks later, and Cypher was ordered to take him and his companion to an Imperial computer terminal so that they could hack into the system. When he realized that Solo's companion was in fact Leia Organa, Cypher ended his charade and held the two hostage. Solo was able to disarm him, though, and after a brief exchange of blaster shots, the Nalrithian bounty hunter was killed.

Science fact: hatching from the same egg gives you a telepathic link.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've only read one Star Wars book, and all I remember is that leeches crawled into Luke's skin and he absorbed them with the force. So that's a science fact, I suppose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Val Helmethead posted:

Don't forget that after the whole "BDSM Aliens From Outside The Galaxy But Not Really" were defeated, Jaina Solo's sometimes-boyfriend who was also Wedge Antilles' nephew and an adopted member of Thrawn's race came to the Jedi about a problem the Chiss were having with some telepathic bugs. The new Jedi went to investigate and because of force powers and telepathic bugs they would up becoming part of the bug hive mind and having a big giant Jedi and bug orgy including Jaina Solo, Chewbacca's Nephew, a Bad Boy Former Sith Who Is Also Jaina's Sometimes-Boyfriend, and Corran Horn's Kids (I think).

Then in the next book series Jacen Solo turned evil, kidnapped Luke's son, and had his dead brother's ex-girlfriend statutory rape him.

If you think, "none of that made sense, but I must be missing some context" no, the books were that bad by that point, and even Aaron Allison (of Wraith Squadron fame) couldn't save them.

Fun note: Aaron Allison wrote the final book of the old EU, now-non cannon "Legends" books. It was about Wraith Squadron pilots and it was called Mercy Kill.

Yoda was obviously referring to the Legends books in Last Jedi when he burned down the library and said "Read them, have you? Page turners they were not."

I have read them. This is my shame.

I didn't really like Mercy Kill. Too depressing.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I've only read one Star Wars book, and all I remember is that leeches crawled into Luke's skin and he absorbed them with the force. So that's a science fact, I suppose.

I think that might be the one where the Rebels and some frontier Imperial system team up to fight off an invasion by soul stealing dinosaurs.

One of the hardline imperials tries to kill Luke by putting parasite eggs in his food during some dinner.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Vernii posted:

I think that might be the one where the Rebels and some frontier Imperial system team up to fight off an invasion by soul stealing dinosaurs.

One of the hardline imperials tries to kill Luke by putting parasite eggs in his food during some dinner.

Not just parasite eggs, but more or less xenomorph eggs. He had to use the Force to vomit them out instead of them coming out through his ribcage.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
today i learned about the shards and iron knights. gotta say pretty cool concept.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

luke wanted to bone a ghost who lived in a computer, who was also into him. then she got a body but didn't want to bone luke anymore because a different author was writing that book, so she disappeared from star wars forever.

or so i thought until i looked at wookieepedia, which taught me that actually her soul was devoured by a dark side monster offscreen

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Didn't luke fall in love with a lady in the battle of bakula book where the lizardmen human traffickers attack the planet bakula, and for absolutely zero reason the rebels go to save them?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

poor mara jade

thought of spores and died

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Up Circle posted:

Didn't luke fall in love with a lady in the battle of bakula book where the lizardmen human traffickers attack the planet bakula, and for absolutely zero reason the rebels go to save them?

Luke fell in love with various people about once per novel series/author and those love interests died or vanished one book later when the next author took over until Timothy Zahn put an end to it when he won the waifu wars with Mara Jade.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Complications posted:

Luke fell in love with various people about once per novel series/author and those love interests died or vanished one book later when the next author took over until Timothy Zahn put an end to it when he won the waifu wars with Mara Jade.

And the ultimate irony is that canonically Luke died a virgin

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hazo posted:

And the ultimate irony is that canonically Luke died a virgin

in the old eu or disney canon? that's one jedi tradition i thought he wouldn't continue

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rinkles posted:

in the old eu or disney canon? that's one jedi tradition i thought he wouldn't continue

Current canon. I think Luke got laid constantly in the EU.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Luke and leia is not canon?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Someone posted in one of the other forum Star Wars threads that really the most appropriate ending for TROS would have been for Luke to wake up complaining of a crazy bad dream and walk into the bathroom, where Mara Jade was taking a shower

and hell, I would at least have gotten a kick out of that

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Up Circle posted:

And she ended up marrying the Imperial captain and died in a suicide attack against droid warships.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hazo posted:

poor mara jade

thought of spores and died

nope she got murdered by her try hard nephew.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Thread stuck for 24 hours I didn't even do it Coomb spores are just that fuckin sticky man

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

silvergoose posted:

I didn't really like Mercy Kill. Too depressing.

I feel like if you averaged it all together, I managed to read the entire 9-book X-Wing series once a year, every year, throughout high school. Yet despite it sitting on my shelf for multiple years now, I still haven't read Mercy Kill. I might not ever. I think it might have something to do with how it takes place super-rear end late in the old EU timeline, which I had always heard was some incredibly garbage-tier poo poo. Also because being the last book in the old continuity hangs a cloud over it. Which is a shame, because Allston's other X-Wing books were the best ones.

Anyway, here's an Old EU thing: at one point, the Old Republic decided it would be a good idea to build a fleet of like 200 warships, except that 199 of them were basically drones that would be controlled from the 1 crewed flagship. Except that right before the fleet was gonna be launched, the crew of the flagship either went insane or the ship's computer was infected by a computer virus and the whole fleet jumped into hyperspace on random coordinates, and nobody ever saw the fleet again. And it became a galaxy-wide urban legend about where the fleet- called the, no poo poo, Katana fleet- had ended up, or if it had even existed in the first place. Like, it was some straight-up RPG quest hook poo poo that your cousin/uncle/stoner friend knew a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy's cousin that has some vital and just-discovered clue about where the fabled Katana fleet might be.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
At some point in Phantom Menace we see some guy in the background for like 2 seconds.

And then someone decided Mr. Yellow Stripe over on the left was secretly a Jedi Master who saw Qui-Gon but decided he didn't want to be bothered, and then he got a comic series with dozens of issues as he ran around doing stuff during the Clone Wars.

Also I think he got enslaved with his Padawan Aayla Secura but he escaped while she got to be a slave for who knows how long because man these writers know the attractive women with rainbow skin need to be demeaned as much as possible.

And of course he didn't get killed during Order 66 because he was TOO DARN SPECIAL so instead he buggered off and never got involved with galactic events again.

Yes there are dozens upon dozens of brief background characters who all got 20 page backstories, half the time making them play A SECRET IMPORTANT ROLE IN THE MAIN PLOT, but he's the first that came to mind.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Cornwind Evil posted:

At some point in Phantom Menace we see some guy in the background for like 2 seconds.

And then someone decided Mr. Yellow Stripe over on the left was secretly a Jedi Master who saw Qui-Gon but decided he didn't want to be bothered, and then he got a comic series with dozens of issues as he ran around doing stuff during the Clone Wars.

Also I think he got enslaved with his Padawan Aayla Secura but he escaped while she got to be a slave for who knows how long because man these writers know the attractive women with rainbow skin need to be demeaned as much as possible.

And of course he didn't get killed during Order 66 because he was TOO DARN SPECIAL so instead he buggered off and never got involved with galactic events again.

Yes there are dozens upon dozens of brief background characters who all got 20 page backstories, half the time making them play A SECRET IMPORTANT ROLE IN THE MAIN PLOT, but he's the first that came to mind.

this is the part of the eu that most makes me glad it was taken out back and shot

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Zoran posted:

Someone posted in one of the other forum Star Wars threads that really the most appropriate ending for TROS would have been for Luke to wake up complaining of a crazy bad dream and walk into the bathroom, where Mara Jade was taking a refresher

and hell, I would at least have gotten a kick out of that

Fixed it for you.

Also Star Wars: Armada got a new gunnery officer added to their upgrade cards. This is in the age of Disney Cannon, so they don't just add anyone anymore, you've got to be legit or you don't even get a nod. Who did we get? Gunnery Chief Varnillian.

Who the gently caress is that?

Wookeepedia posted:

Niclara Varnillian was a female Human and Alderaanian who joined the Imperial Navy. She was part of the operations crew that tested the Death Star superlaser on the planet Alderaan. The destruction of her homeworld did not affect her in the least. Prior to the Battle of Yavin, she was transferred to the Imperial Star Destroyer Pulsar to serve as chief gunnery officer under Commander Dor Reder.

While on leave on Ord Mantell, Varnillian identified a pair of Rebel operatives, but she botched the mission to capture them, resulting in several Imperial soldier fatalities. She was demoted, but remained aboard the Pulsar until the Battle of Endor.

After the Pulsar surrendered, Varnillian and a group of Imperial troops were able to steal a Rebel transport and escape. She was last known to have led a group of Imperial military vessels in attacks on New Republic installations throughout the Outer Rim Territories.

Oh, okay, so she's been around and did some stuff. Being an Alderaanian and not caring if your home planet is destroyed is pretty hard core.

I wonder what books she popped up in. Pulsar and Battle of Endor make me think she showed up in one of the Cataclysm books or something. Uh... nope.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Adventure_Journal_8

She appeared in a single "article" in an old, old 1995 magazine of a defunct pen and paper RPG that was about dangerous Imperials that you as a GM could have your rebel players hunt down.

Welcome back to cannon, Niclara!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Today, I learned that Tarkin was a 100% total badass who was covered in scars from fighting tigers as a kid and constantly fantasized about stripping off and knife-fighting random junior officers. Obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQVlvRmnEc

That Youtube channel is a treasure trove of dumb Star Wars lore.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Val Helmethead posted:

Welcome back to cannon, Niclara!

I notice they refer to her race as human. But if you think about it for a second, there are no “humans” in Star Wars, they’re not the same species as us. They look like our species, but they’re an ancient race from a distant galaxy who have midichlorian blood and stuff. Who knows what other physiological differences there are?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

They look like our species, but they’re an ancient race from a distant galaxy who have midichlorian blood and stuff.

What.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Homo sapiens evolved on Earth, in the Milky Way Galaxy. We have no means of interstellar travel, let alone intergalactic. Star Wars takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away from here. They don’t have intergalactic travel either. Ergo, the main protagonists and antagonists of the Star Wars saga are not homo sapiens. This is further evidenced by them having weird symbiotic microorganisms that live in their blood and possibly give them magic powers. They are not “human,” in the usual sense of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Val Helmethead posted:

Fixed it for you.

Also Star Wars: Armada got a new gunnery officer added to their upgrade cards. This is in the age of Disney Cannon, so they don't just add anyone anymore, you've got to be legit or you don't even get a nod. Who did we get? Gunnery Chief Varnillian.

I liked a lot about Rebels, and it was neat to see all these absurdly deep pulls, but it was kinda disappointing that so much had to be previously established instead of just freely making new things as much as they did in Clone Wars.

Last when I read the new comics, they seemed to have a habit of all the new characters obviously being some writer's precious baby that they fought hard to keep in, so there's a bit of a mary sue kinda vibe every time and nobody's just a loser.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I notice they refer to her race as human. But if you think about it for a second, there are no “humans” in Star Wars, they’re not the same species as us. They look like our species, but they’re an ancient race from a distant galaxy who have midichlorian blood and stuff. Who knows what other physiological differences there are?

I've heard this bit of weird worldbuilding before, and my response is shut the gently caress up. I know it's technically the same shtick as calling English "basic" but it feels so much like huffing your own farts to say humans aren't human and they're some unmentioned other thing.