Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't like brightburn but it was half because the kid actor was just not emoting AT ALL, and half it was just kinda dumb. Kid can emote (he was young Scott Lang in endgame), but I guess was just told not to.

Admittedly I'm a big Superman fan, and I kinda really hate Snyder's ideas and dcu, but it just seemed like a lifetime movie network of "bad Superman".

The scene where he splattered the cop got a decent laugh out of me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I never really understood the love for Night of the Comet. The movie only has one joke ("Women be shoppin!") and the horror isn't strong enough to cover for the humor.

It was basically pitched to me as Dawn of the Dead plus Clueless and it didn't really scratch either itch. It's not miserable, but it's pretty mediocre.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Well, the setup is that the two girls are ditsy valley girls, but the payoff is that they’re competent badasses who can independently survive on their own as well as with each other. The makeup isn’t amazing, but there’s a couple of really effective moments where the ghouls are threatening (like in the cheerleader’s dream), or when they emotionally affect the protagonists (when the Hispanic lead goes home to find his family).

Plus the two girls are like, really hot.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Night of the Comet is basically a hang out movie with an amazing soundtrack. I loved it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Huh I’ve always read Night of the Comet as Night of the Creeps; didn’t realize it was a different movie

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I was genuinely surprised at the emotional depth of the sisters’s relationship in Night of the Comet. Like, I was expecting a fun schlockfest but got a couple of really good performances mixed in with the schlock.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Burkion posted:

Wait wha-

Oh my God he wrote the Burning

That explains and raises so many questions

it really really does.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

david_a posted:

Huh I’ve always read Night of the Comet as Night of the Creeps; didn’t realize it was a different movie

Well, at least they are both great!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's a shlockhouse film made by people who are too smart for shlock, but love it anyway. With main characters that are traditionally annoying as heck, but injects them with enough love and character and enthusiasm to make them enduring. And set in a traditionally horrific premise, and plows ahead with the conclusion that the apocalypse can be fun as hell.

It's not inherently revolutionary, but it's a quietly been influential while being just a really good time. Like gender and genre flipped Bill and Ted.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

no such thing as too smart for shlock only big wrinkly brained geniuses watch it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

https://twitter.com/shudder/status/1223631791510183942?s=21

Lots of good stuff coming to Shudder this month. Wendigo is a good one that I haven’t thought about in a while. Night of the Comet and RotLD III are both super fun too. And I was just thinking about rewatching Dog Soldiers when werewolves came up the other day!

I can't believe Shudder bought Jessica Forever. Everything about it sucks rear end, even the main title fonts.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Gretel and Hansel is okay. It looks amazing, it sounds amazing, but the story is just okay. Which is fine, I guess, sometimes you just want something that looks really good and has a nice dream like quality. I still sort of wish it was built on something a little more though.

I still recommend seeing it though.

Agree with this. If nothing else, it’s the most gorgeous-looking horror film I’ve seen in some time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1223275555220488194?s=19

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh hell yeah I posted Atroz as a recommendation in a Horror Facebook group I'm in and a bunch of people said they were gonna check it out :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Finally got around to Tammy and the T-Rex (or Tanny and the Teenage Tyrannosaur as the title card says) and, uh, WOW. I think Paul Walker's brain being transferred into an animatronic t-rex isn't even in the top five weirdest things about this movie. We loved it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watched the Uncut version of Wolfman 2010. It was...ok. I am glad he tore some poo poo up but that film didn't need to be two hours.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Oh hell yeah I posted Atroz as a recommendation in a Horror Facebook group I'm in and a bunch of people said they were gonna check it out :getin:

my man!

I saw Gretel and Hansel and it was honestly amazing. The cinematography was gorgeous, the acting and writing was superb and it was genuinely really creepy and had this hypnotic atmosphere. I'm kinda surprised people are lukewarm on it. The way the cinematography captured a kinda "strangeness" felt like what Midsommar was trying to do but failed.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Neo Rasa posted:

Finally got around to Tammy and the T-Rex (or Tanny and the Teenage Tyrannosaur as the title card says) and, uh, WOW. I think Paul Walker's brain being transferred into an animatronic t-rex isn't even in the top five weirdest things about this movie. We loved it.

Watched it for the first time as well and it was alright. Wanted a little bit more gore I think.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

my man!

I saw Gretel and Hansel and it was honestly amazing. The cinematography was gorgeous, the acting and writing was superb and it was genuinely really creepy and had this hypnotic atmosphere. I'm kinda surprised people are lukewarm on it. The way the cinematography captured a kinda "strangeness" felt like what Midsommar was trying to do but failed.

So far only occasional complaint I've heard about it is that it's a bit slow in parts, but overall everyone's liking it. Sold like mad tonight.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, just saw Color Out of Space (I know I'm late) and admittedly it's been decades since I last read the story, but how much was in the movie that was not in the books? Cause wow I do NOT remember half that poo poo.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

david_a posted:

Twin Cinema posted:

Well, at least they are both great!

I just recently rewatched Night of the Creeps for the first time in 20 years, and drat it was just as great as I remembered it being.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grem posted:

So, just saw Color Out of Space (I know I'm late) and admittedly it's been decades since I last read the story, but how much was in the movie that was not in the books? Cause wow I do NOT remember half that poo poo.

You can't adapt half of Lovecraft's poo poo, nor would you wish to.

Could I please ask people to go easy on the spoilers? It doesn't open here until the end of February.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Night of the Comet has fuckin Chakotay in it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

M_Sinistrari posted:

So far only occasional complaint I've heard about it is that it's a bit slow in parts, but overall everyone's liking it. Sold like mad tonight.

I didn’t find it that slow, especially compared to Perkins’ first two films. There are some moments where it dwells on the visuals and atmosphere but not in a way that killed the pace imo.

Count me in for the “it was good” crowd. Beautiful cinematography and some fantastic and unique visual effects like the witch forming/stepping up out of the puddle.

Also, what was up with the zombie looking thing at the Huntsman’s house?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

So, just saw Color Out of Space (I know I'm late)

The future owns because now you can be late by seeing a movie before mass release

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grem posted:

A lot of Lovecraft’s descriptions are pretty vague so you can fill in the details in a lot of ways. It’s been a while since I’ve read the story but I think the animals were described as mutated somehow but I certainly don’t remember any fused people.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The best Lovecraft adaptations (and I think Color Out of Space makes that list) work from the broad strokes. You need to be selective when adapting something as flowery and vague and racist as Lovecraft.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sarchasm posted:

The best Lovecraft adaptations (and I think Color Out of Space makes that list) work from the broad strokes. You need to be selective when adapting something as flowery and vague and racist as Lovecraft.

Yea okay that's what I thought, my memories of the book remember the color, the wildlife, the farm, and everything spreading slowly but surely, but not much else.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

david_a posted:

A lot of Lovecraft’s descriptions are pretty vague so you can fill in the details in a lot of ways. It’s been a while since I’ve read the story but I think the animals were described as mutated somehow but I certainly don’t remember any fused people.

It's been a while since I read the story, but I vaguely remember it being more the people were changing mentally/internally more than on the outside.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Goddamn this looks good as hell

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Goddamn this looks good as hell

Right? Tubi is killing me because they have Prom Night, Prom Night II, and Prom Nigh IV, but not III. :(

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was actually kind of disappointed in Color Out of Space when they showed the fused alpaca thing. I had hoped they were going to just stick to the boys' reaction and quick flashes of it being Wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would you want to deprive anyone of that. That’s the best scene

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

There's an argument for not showing the monster, but imagine John Carpenter's The Thing without the mass of dog alien weirdness writhing around in the kennel. Sometimes the monster is too cool to stay hidden

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 3, 2020

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I wasn't expecting a series for The Dead Lands. Might check that out.

I watched Bliss last month and it was an exhausting experience. Definitely dug it and I look forward to VFW from the same director.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

I wasn't expecting a series for The Dead Lands. Might check that out.

I sat through the first two episodes. It's very good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Why would you want to deprive anyone of that. That’s the best scene

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

There's an argument for not showing the monster, but imagine John Carpenter's The Thing without the mass of dog alien weirdness writhing around in the kennel. Sometimes the monster is too cool to stay hidden

Yeah, a lot of the time nothing is scarier, but sometimes there's a really cool/gross monster and I want to see it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

1stGear posted:

I was actually kind of disappointed in Color Out of Space when they showed the fused alpaca thing. I had hoped they were going to just stick to the boys' reaction and quick flashes of it being Wrong.

It felt like too blatant of a Thing reference and should’ve been done differently, I agree.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ruddiger posted:

It felt like too blatant of a Thing reference and should’ve been done differently, I agree.

I was kind of surprised just how close it was, but it didn't bother me too much. Just as they were entering the barn I said to myself, "Okay movie, show me some real hosed up The Thing style bullshit" and I got exactly what I wished for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sarchasm posted:

I was kind of surprised just how close it was, but it didn't bother me too much. Just as they were entering the barn I said to myself, "Okay movie, show me some real hosed up The Thing style bullshit" and I got exactly what I wished for.

I think that the sounds they made really helped; it sounded like they were in constant pain.