Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say go with the Michelin PS4 if you can get it in a suitable size. They're not really "all season", but they're good wet or dry, and I have driven them in freezing conditions without mishap.

I'd run a separate set of winter tyres if you actually need winter capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The problem in southern Kansas is the temperature swings 30-40f depending on which way the wind blows, so last week we had 2 inches of snow and a nice glazing of ice underneath but it was 70f on Christmas day. Makes it hell on a winter compound but we get just enough wintery precipitation that I don't know if I can get away with running summer tires.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think I'm just going to go with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

rscott posted:

I had the A/S 3 (no plus) on my E46 and they were very good tires.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

I've been looking at these and the reviews seem mixed. They're either the best tire ever, or they wear out very fast. I can't quite figure out how the experiences are so different.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

devicenull posted:

They're either the best tire ever, or they wear out very fast. I can't quite figure out how the experiences are so different.
People are weird with expectations of tyre life.

Buy the best/stickiest poo poo that lasts 20k under your usage criteria, any more than that is a bonus.

(Edit: I typoed that to 10k originally, which yeah, is a bit bad!)

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 27, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

im on my second pair (i really like them) for an all season they are a good compromise but i dont think they'll handle ice that well. moderate snow is probably fine for the first 2 winters but once you wear them down to a certain point they wont be good in the snow.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

rscott posted:

My mother is at 5/32 on her set. She rotates with every oil change and they're pretty much perfectly evenly worn. She's had them for about 40,000 miles at this point and has no complaints other than that they're not doing well in the snow this winter due to how worn they are.

She particularly commented on how good they are in heavy rain and how they aren't prone to failure on Massachusetts' pothole covered roads compared to her previous tires (Continentals).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

meatpimp posted:

After being surprised at how decent the Lionhart tires are on the Avalon, I'm bottom-of-the-barrel shopping for the Passat. Looking at 245/40-18. As I was browsing, I found there was a brand called Cosmos or thereabouts... and they have a model of tire called "Mucho Macho." They're about $40 more per set than the others... but can I pass up having Mucho Macho tires?

I've been a lot more pleased with the no-name stuff than I have the low end tires by names people recognize.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with the Pilot Alpin 5? It looks like it's the replacement for the PA4 but I can't find poo poo for reviews on it that aren't for the non-pilot alpin 5 or the pilot alpin 5 SUV. Because that's not an incredibly stupid naming scheme.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
$1265 later and I have 4 new pilot sport a/s 3+ and an alignment, it was pouring so hard to judge the road noise but it did feel smoother and the wet grip certainly felt better

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I needed 275/70/18 tires for my Ram 3500. I ordered a set of BFG KO2s from discount. $1182 installed.

I have a feeling I won’t like them. I have yet to find a tire that rides smooth and quiet down the highway, doesn’t get stuck on wet grass/mud, and lasts even if I tow heavy.

I like michelin defenders. Good fuel mileage, quiet, balance nice, good in snow. But I have managed to bury my truck up to the axles just trying to get a trailer from behind the garage. I tried to tell myself I can just pull it out with the tractor when it happens again but thats a pain and requires two people. Goodyear wrangler all terrains fall into this category as well, and despite having kevlar I have managed to tear a sidewall on a pothole.

I had a set of coopers at’s on my last truck that did great in the mud but I could never get them balanced right. Road force got them close but it was $900 wasted in the end.

The stock transforce ATs on my truck now are the worst tires I can think of. They say all terrain but the tread is more straight around like a highway rib. 25k and they are shot. Wet grass requires speed and 4 wheel drive. They usually leave ruts as well. They don’t ride particularly smooth either. The only redeeming quality is fuel mileage.

Hoping the BFGs live up to the hype. If not, I am going to try a set of duratracs.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
FWIW, I sell way more KO2s than Duratracs. And people generally seem happier with the onroad manners of the KO2. Most of the Duratracs go to Wranglers, but plow guys, landscapers, and contractors seem to love the KO2s.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, the salesman said there is a guy locally who owns a fleet of trucks and delivers RVs for a living who swears by the KO2s. I see them a lot on jeeps, I’m just not sure how they will hold up to diesel duty. I did not get the DTs with the tread wear warranty because snow traction means more to me.

My gut says these will be good for the first 10,000 miles, and then regret. I would like to get 40k of good service out of them. Who knows, time will tell.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I drive on landfills every day with KO2s on my work truck (18 Tundra) and they have held up admirably. I’ve had a bit of buzzards luck lately with a couple of flats, but they’re miles better than the Michelin LTX A/T2 that came on the truck. I drive about 4-5k miles a month with this truck and the tires have held up well.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I am shortly going to be getting 4 new 275 35 21s for my Audi A8. It's currently running on the OEM Dunlop SP Sportmaxx GT which aren't too expensive compared with the Michelin/Pirelli alternatives. However, I'm seeing the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 at around 20% cheaper than the Dunlops. I've had Hankooks in the past which were fine, but does anyone have any experience with this specific type?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'm shopping for new tires for my Jeep (JK Unlimited 4-door) and am confused about the offerings as far as sizes go. Shopping for 35" A/T's, and primarily looking at BFG KO2's as I've had them before on a different Jeep and really liked them. For 35" there seems to be three offerings (prices from a local place)

- 35x12.50R17 - $311.99/ea (overall diameter 34.5")
- 315/70R17 - $301.99/ea (overall diameter 34.41")
- LT315/70R17 - $279.99 (overall diameter 34.4")

My question is, what if any difference is there between the first and the second & third (35... vs 315...) and then second, what is the difference between 315 and LT315? Obviously I can find the definitions online so like I know LT stands for Light Truck, but is there any practical difference?

My use case is a mix of highway and light offroad driving (gravel/dirt roads and right-of-ways). Carrying 1-4 people with gear but no unusually heavy loads or trailer. Southeast Texas, so no worry about cold/snow/ice.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The 35x12.5 is “floatation” sized.
The one in the middle is metric size and probably load range D.
The one on the bottom is designed for light trucks, and may be load range E. If the one in the middle and bottom are both the same load range than the LT may have different internal construction.

On a jeep the flotation or middle metric would be preferable. Not sure an LT tire would be of any benefit.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have now had two bubbles and one flat on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the space of one month. I love the way they drive but these tires must be made of paper mache.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

biglads posted:

I am shortly going to be getting 4 new 275 35 21s for my Audi A8. It's currently running on the OEM Dunlop SP Sportmaxx GT which aren't too expensive compared with the Michelin/Pirelli alternatives. However, I'm seeing the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 at around 20% cheaper than the Dunlops. I've had Hankooks in the past which were fine, but does anyone have any experience with this specific type?

There is 0 point in asking this question here because most people here are americans so they don't have the same models of tyres over there. Probably better off looking at https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ for the brand you like.

Can you get Michelin PS4's in that size?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have now had two bubbles and one flat on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the space of one month. I love the way they drive but these tires must be made of paper mache.

That's so weird. I've had a set on my 335 for almost two years, and no issues so far. And PA roads are basically 3rd world hellscapes. It's been like 30k miles?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's infuriating. It feels like I must be doing something wrong. I never got a flat in 12 years of driving before this.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My 16” Conti DWS are down to basically just the D on the Si hatch so I am going to replace them for spring along with new wheels. Thinking of going back to a 15” wheel to save weight, since the car only has 170-ish odd hp. By going to Sparco FF1 wheels and 205/55/15 tires I’ll essentially save 9lb per corner which is fantastic. I weighed my current setup with Borbet LV4 wheels and it’s a stout 39.5lb per corner - the Sparco setup would be 30.5lb. My question is: I’ve been thinking of going with Enkei RPF1 wheels instead to save another 2lb per wheel but the price difference is $84 per wheel - how much difference will I really feel?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The important question is how much cooler will you look with the Enkeis?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Russian Bear posted:

The important question is how much cooler will you look with the Enkeis?

Meh they’ll be six of one and half a dozen of the other. Just both black wheels 🤷🏼‍♂️

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

track day bro! posted:

There is 0 point in asking this question here because most people here are americans so they don't have the same models of tyres over there. Probably better off looking at https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ for the brand you like.

Can you get Michelin PS4's in that size?

Ah OK thanks.

PS4s are available in that size. About £100 each more than the Hankooks though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Meh they’ll be six of one and half a dozen of the other. Just both black wheels 🤷🏼‍♂️

Actually I think it will be four of one, a third of a dozen of the other :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

biglads posted:

Ah OK thanks.

PS4s are available in that size. About £100 each more than the Hankooks though.
I've used Hankook winter tyres a couple of times and got on with them, plus Jon from Tyre Reviews rates their stuff, so if you're saving the best part of £400 a set by getting them, I can't imagine it's the worst choice.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I've used Hankook winter tyres a couple of times and got on with them, plus Jon from Tyre Reviews rates their stuff, so if you're saving the best part of £400 a set by getting them, I can't imagine it's the worst choice.

Thanks. I expect to be getting a set of them when I get paid in February as long as they stay at a decent price. Lots of reviews that I've seen for these Hankooks are good, but the reviews are people who have had a lot smaller versions of them fitted to hatchbacks, I've yet to see any reviews for them on luxobarges.

A few years ago I had Avons (ZZRs?) fitted to my Volvo S80. Reviews were good but the fuckers wanted to turn oval and the tread blocks moved around so I'm a bit wary of online reviews unless I can find stuff for a similar tyre size or similar car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ps4s will spoil you for any other street performance tire especially in a big heavy car

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

This is gonna be stupid but I met Jon years ago when he owned an mr2 trackcar, then yesterday I watched one of the videos on Tyre Reviews and I was like man I recognise that guy from somewhere lol. I forgot that he built that site from the ground up.

I'm gonna also bitch that the AD08R has been discontinued, which was a perfect tyre that could cope well with being abused on track and also was ok on the road for what little I used it on the road anyways. It's replacement the AD08RS is apparently a much harder compound due to loving EU RULES i thought brexit was supposed to let us have what we wanted and we could get rid of all the people we didn't like and no terrorist attacks would happen again land of hope and glory etc

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If I have tyres that have the direction marked on the outside, to do a rotation does the rubber have to be swapped around rims? Or is it just front/back swap on the same side?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

simplefish posted:

If I have tyres that have the direction marked on the outside, to do a rotation does the rubber have to be swapped around rims? Or is it just front/back swap on the same side?
Just swap front-rear on the same side, assuming you have the same size both ends.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ps4s will spoil you for any other street performance tire especially in a big heavy car

Ended up ordering 4 of these. Scraped around for best price/discount codes and managed to get them at a hair over £250 a corner.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

Sweet. They're yours to keep if you want them, legally.

I'm going to be in the market for tires for my truck (2015 GMC 2500HD, Duramax). I do mostly side streets and highway, but spend a good bit of time on boat ramps and snow. I've put 33k miles on the truck since 2015, so not a ton of miles. I'm not looking for a highway only tire, but I'm not interested in anything super loud like the All-Terrain T/A KO2 or Grabber AT/X.

Currently, it's running Michelin LTX AT2 in 265/70R18. They're bloody expensive ($300/tire from Tire rack plus shipping), and I'm fine with buying the same thing if that's the best option, but I'm kinda meh about them. The wet traction isn't great, dry is fine, they're not loud, and tread wear is pretty bad, but what else is out there that's similar/better? Dynapro AT2? Destination XT? GeoLandar AT G015? TerrainContact A/T? Say gently caress it and put Grabbers or BFGs on?

Just following up on my own post. Decided that I don't do enough overall miles to justify a more highway-focused tire, and went with the Grabber AT/X. It's louder, but not too much when compared to the Michelins that were on before. Handling is definitely affected, but they have much much better traction. The ride quality is actually better, and they absorb bumps much better than the old LTX AT2.

The other option was the TerrainContact, but it was more expensive. Of course, the dealer mounted them white letters out, so I've gone full Bro-Dozer mode. I actually like the more aggressive look, I'm ashamed to admit.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I had the older Grabber AT2 on my old Grand Cherokee, and I loved them. Great bite in the snow, and well mannered enough that they weren't bad on the highway either.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PitViper posted:

I had the older Grabber AT2 on my old Grand Cherokee, and I loved them. Great bite in the snow, and well mannered enough that they weren't bad on the highway either.

Yeah. The AT/X is supposed to be a better version of the old AT2. I'm not unhappy at all, and I'm looking forward to the first snow to test them out. The LTX's were rubbish in the snow, even from new.

Of course, we haven't gotten more than a dusting this year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Alright, tire chat for a boring commuter SUV.

My wife has a 2015 Acura RDX with 33k miles. Original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. They had never been rotated when we got it at 30k miles. The rears had decent tread, the fronts were borderline, so I swapped back-to-front. (No discussion about rear end breaking loose early, pls).

Well, I was driving on Saturday and there was ice and the thing was terrible. 5 year old tires with 33k miles is just not viable on ice. I've known that, but the Winter in Ohio has been especially mild, so I haven't really thought about it much.

Here's my debate: We're in a part of Ohio that gets snow, but nothing like what NE Ohio sees. Having lived in NE Ohio for far too long, I got used to having 2 sets of tires. For her commute, I think it's okay to run a good set of all seasons where we live now.

BUT, I want something that does have some reasonable grip in snow.

Tire size is 235/60-18. Costco has a sale on Michelins where I can get some Latitude HPs for $940-ish out the door. That's a lot of scratch for 4 rubber rings.

I like the specs and reviews of the Michelin Defender LTX for a few bucks more per tire.

At the other end of the spectrum is something like Yokohama Geolanders, but they end up north of $700, so is it worth saving a couple bones for Yokos versus Michelins? What do I do? I'm so clutching my pearls in concern.

Note: I'm sticking to name brand tires for her car. I'm also looking at rubber for the Passat, but there I'm looking as cheap as I can... I'll end up with a full set for that car at the price of one of the tires for the RDX. :rolleyes:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Tire size is 235/60-18. Costco has a sale on Michelins

Can you get the CrossClimate over there?

https://youtu.be/YO0zyQh2l3M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

Can you get the CrossClimate over there?

https://youtu.be/YO0zyQh2l3M

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: But they cost another 20% more... I'm already feeling that the benefit/cost is getting out of sync with the other models...