Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I saw the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy in a theater tonight and I’m not sure what to make of it. The first one is like a Disney Channel original movie, the second is more or less The Last Crusade recast with kids, but it’s barely a Mothra movie. The third is the most conventional monster flick of the trilogy but it really doesn’t have any of the humor from the first two and it’s pretty dull for long stretches.

I did like the painfully cute and fuzzy Mothra designs that seemed to transform and change every 30 minutes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The first one is probably the 'best' one, as far as film quality and effects go.

I despise the second one and no one will ever dissuade me from this. I've only seen it sixeight times.

The third one tries so hard to be serious, and is also the most utter inane bullshit of the lot. Grand Ghidorah has such a great design, but the actual suit is stiff as Hell and kind of stunted.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

Grand Ghidorah has such a great design, but the actual suit is stiff as Hell and kind of stunted.

I really like most of the designs in that third one but I had a hearty laugh at Ancient Ghidorah’s thicc muscular running legs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked the first one well enough for what it was, but I do have a soft spot for 90’s kaiju and anime. Desghidorah was a good design, and I like some variety in Mothra designs. There’s so much you can convey by just changing the wing patterns.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched Godzilla vs. Megalon a couple days ago and it is really wild how the series went from Gojira to that.

Vs. Megalon also read extremely gay. The kid being Goro's "brother" seemed more like an early 70s euphemism for him being the adopted son of Goro and other guy. No women have speaking roles in the movie at all. I'm not sure if the centerfolds taped to the back of the container truck are trying to say that those two guys are the only straights in the movie or if its saying they're just trying too hard to appear as such.

I also like how the essays in the Criterion set slowly go from explaining the artist value of the movies to "listen, the crew did their best."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strangely, as much as Vs. Megalon is spoken of as one of the worst G films here in the states, it is incredibly popular and well thought of in Japan.

MaxToy Japan showing their next figure dropping at Wonder Fest on the 9th. I saw the test pull in December and Yo, the head of MaxToy Japan, was super stoked about it. Shin Godzilla was their first G figure released last year but Mega Goji being the first one after that is telling.

https://twitter.com/quackmaxx/status/1222104928950161409?s=21

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Megalon is just such a goofy rear end film, it's impossible to hate it.

Space Godzilla is the real stinker of the core Godzilla films

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

Megalon is just such a goofy rear end film, it's impossible to hate it.

Space Godzilla is the real stinker of the core Godzilla films

Yeah there really is no redemption to it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
We don't talk enough about how late Heisei is truly the nadir of the franchise.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

HannibalBarca posted:

We don't talk enough about how late Heisei is truly the nadir of the franchise.

If Desotroyah wasn't about Godzilla dying it wouldn't be as highly regarded. It's not made much better than spacegodzilla

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Look I suggest to people “Just watch the Heisei Gamera movies and ignore the Godzilla’s from the same time” but people ignore me :sigh:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the back half of VS Destroyah is great

But it is a VERY slow, plodding movie. It has some really good kaiju set pieces, that actually DO stuff other than sit around and shoot beams at each other, but any of the human scenes that isn't Miki being devastated that her husband is dying are bleh

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I did think Vs. Megalon was better than some of the other Showa ones. Tonally it felt more like a Power Rangers episode with how goofy the whole tag team battle was. It was a level of sustained stupid that none of the movies before or after it that make it more of an outlier to me.

I found Son of Godzilla to be the worst because it seemed like an extreme misfire of trying to create Minilla as a cute character and having nothing of interest really happening in it. It was just felt overly long and punishingly dull.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love all the Heisei movies because they’re some of the first G-films I ever saw, but yeah, the last few aren’t great.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The Heisei movies were always about 15-20 minutes too long as well.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Look I suggest to people “Just watch the Heisei Gamera movies and ignore the Godzilla’s from the same time” but people ignore me :sigh:

This is very true.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love all the Heisei movies because they’re some of the first G-films I ever saw, but yeah, the last few aren’t great.

Without the nostalgia value of "discovering" modern godzilla movies at the video store... Yeah, they're not very good.

dentist toy box posted:

If Desotroyah wasn't about Godzilla dying it wouldn't be as highly regarded. It's not made much better than spacegodzilla

That's my feeling.

Am I the only person in the world that likes Space Godzilla? Admitting that it's very, verynot good, but I still enjoy it.

And speaking of not good! Caught King of Monsters on TV. Yikes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked Tokyo SOS over G against Mecha. The suit in both films is really neat but the first "fight" scene in part one is terrible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked Tokyo SOS over G against Mecha. The suit in both films is really neat but the first "fight" scene in part one is terrible.

Tokyo SOS has the better monster action but the first Kiryu has the better Kiryu stuff

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought SOS was kind of dull but Against Mecha is okay. The Millennium Series as a whole kinda leaves me cold except for All-Out Attack and the sheer novelty and insanity of Final Wars.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why do Godzilla fans consider Spacegodzilla to be so bad?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well I can't answer for them because I'm not them but I can answer for myself

It's got the goofy, silly plot of a 1970s/late 60s Godzilla movie without the charm or style of an actual 70s/60s Godzilla. Specifically the front half, not the nonsense about Space Godzilla, that's evergreen. Little Godzilla might be the worst baby Godzilla on film, which is a drat shame considering the one from VS MG 2 was really nice and Junior is the absolute best one.

The entire plot line with the magic bullet is treated dead seriously but it's about some one planning to shoot Godzilla with a loving rifle and we're supposed to think its suspenseful. Instead its tedious and never pays off. The Mind control thing could have been a bit of fun, but went absolutely nowhere. The jungle stuff was boring to look at without any of the fun giant insect nonsense that the island adventure films of old had. The entire movie looks cheap as hell Space Godzilla aside- Space Godzilla is a shining beacon in an other wise slow paced, dreary dreck of a film.

It takes five goddamn years for any single fight to happen, without any big choreography to justify it. The most exciting moment of the movie happens in the last five minutes of a near 40 minute fight scene that mostly consisted of two monsters firing beams at each other. And again, it looks painfully low budget, even for a Godzilla movie. Especially the outer space stuff. And Godzilla's entire suit is falling apart for ANY scene where he's even near water. The tip of his tail is tearing off, one of his fingers is falling off, it's a whole ugly mess.

VS Gigan, its funny that Godzilla's suit is falling apart because it's just part of that whole movie's ugly look. Ghidorah looks like a zombie, Godzilla is in shambles, the aliens are hilariously cheap, there's more stock footage than original footage...But it has the charm of a late 70s film and the human scenes are at least funny.

If the movie wasn't so goddamn long, or if the movie at least had decent kaiju fights- Battle for earth has AWFUL human stuff, some of the worst in the franchise, but the kaiju action is top notch from top to bottom- I'd be more forgiving for it. It doesn't fail as hard as other films individually, but as a complete package it is my personal bottom of the barrel.

Until the anime movies came out.

those are worse.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

Why do Godzilla fans consider Spacegodzilla to be so bad?

The baby Godzilla design is just flat awful, and the film as a whole just looks noticeably worse than those around it. The best director of the ‘Heisei’ films is Takao Okawara, and Spacegodzilla is just sort of plopped into the middle of his trilogy.

The film also has no real impact on the series’ continuity, for anyone who cares about such things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It kiiiiiiinda does but only because it repeats the climax from MechaGodzilla II

Space Godzilla was basically a filler movie thrown together at the last minute because of production delays, is the very rough inaccurate summation of it. They took a goofy concept title from the Showa era that never got made, then proceeded to ignore what that idea was actually going to be, and just put this out. The original draft was even going to just have MechaGodzilla again, but they thought that'd be too many Godzillas

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The design for Spacegodzilla himself is pretty cool in a completely over the top way. Could the actor really even move with all of the junk on the suit?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Burkion posted:

It kiiiiiiinda does but only because it repeats the climax from MechaGodzilla II

Space Godzilla was basically a filler movie thrown together at the last minute because of production delays, is the very rough inaccurate summation of it. They took a goofy concept title from the Showa era that never got made, then proceeded to ignore what that idea was actually going to be, and just put this out. The original draft was even going to just have MechaGodzilla again, but they thought that'd be too many Godzillas

Is that why we got the amazing decision that is MOGUERA?

They should've just made a Heisei-era Jet Jaguar.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shiroc posted:

Could the actor really even move with all of the junk on the suit?

Not very well, which is why Spacegodzilla is the beam-spammiest of the beam-spam movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
rewatched King of the Monsters and I'm still of the mind that it is a fun film and it has a great ending, but my god does it have pacing and character issues. THe last fight is mostly excellent but I feel it would have been better with more buildup and less rushing from one action scene to the next. I think it was Nerdwriter who did a video essay on how Zack Snyder films are exhausting because they treat every frame of the film with the same reverence like it is supposed to be THE iconic moment of the film, so when the actual crescendos and climaxes happen they don't have the same impact since the audience is already mentally drained from engaging with the last half dozen "super important" scenes.

I felt that a lot in KOTM especially in the back half where you go from Mothra lighting the way to Godzilla, to Serizawa's sacrifice, to Godzilla's triumphant revival, to the fight in Boston in like fifteen minutes and you don't have time to build up to the next major event because they're pounding out the big hitter moments one after the other.

I think the fight in KOTM is better than in G14 but G14 has an incredible buildup to the fight as we watch the chaos unfold in San Francisco in a really muted sense, right before the marines do their HALO jump metaphorically descending into hell.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The device stuff ruined the fight in KotM - when Ghidorah is actively paying attention to and trying to murder a single tiny human but can't, it completely undermines the attempted superstorms-by-existing grandeur. So he already looks like a clown by the time Godzilla shows up, and also all of the garbage human characters are still alive to waste screen time and oxygen.

The more time passes on it the more I hate that movie. Gonna go watch Gigan again to remind myself that good human-side plots and characters are possible in a Godzilla movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Burkion posted:

They should’ve just used Mecha again. It’d have fit in perfectly with the DBZ plot of teaming up with his greatest enemy to defeat his space brother to save his son.

Love that dumb rear end movie, but I understand that I’m the only one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Strangely, as much as Vs. Megalon is spoken of as one of the worst G films here in the states, it is incredibly popular and well thought of in Japan.

Vs. Megalon is good, Americans are just incapable of distinguishing tone from quality.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Plaidstallions/status/1225046326611709952?s=20

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoho-toys/medicom-wonder-festival-exclusive-jac-godzilla-mechagodzilla

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Vs. Megalon is good, Americans are just incapable of distinguishing tone from quality.

It might be lovely dub on the kid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why is Godzilla vs Biollante the only Heisei Godzilla movie that's super expensive to get on bluray?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Why is Godzilla vs Biollante the only Heisei Godzilla movie that's super expensive to get on bluray?

Off hand, no clue. Might be a rights thing. For the longest time HBO were the ones who had international/American rights

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It's out of print. I guess echo bridge lost the rights. It's kinda hilarious though when Echo Bridge first released it you could find the DVD or Blu-ray just about everywherefor cheap. Now it's the hardest to find.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Open Marriage Night posted:

They should’ve just used Mecha again. It’d have fit in perfectly with the DBZ plot of teaming up with his greatest enemy to defeat his space brother to save his son.

Love that dumb rear end movie, but I understand that I’m the only one.

You're not, there's at least two of us now.

Irony.or.Death posted:

The device stuff ruined the fight in KotM - when Ghidorah is actively paying attention to and trying to murder a single tiny human but can't, it completely undermines the attempted superstorms-by-existing grandeur. So he already looks like a clown by the time Godzilla shows up, and also all of the garbage human characters are still alive to waste screen time and oxygen.

The more time passes on it the more I hate that movie. Gonna go watch Gigan again to remind myself that good human-side plots and characters are possible in a Godzilla movie.

Indeed, there's so much wrong with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1225475578603634690

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is the mothra trilogy part of any of the Godzilla continuities, or is it it's own thing?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Is the mothra trilogy part of any of the Godzilla continuities, or is it it's own thing?

100% its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

100% its own thing.

For some reason I thought they came out at the same time as the Heisei Godzillas but it looks like they came out between the Heisei and Millenium series.