Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

xiw posted:

Okay cpig hasn't posted much but what's there is extremely useful.

But then!

CPig's target was byzantium so this was just trying to get them killed i guess - they have no investigative role.

BUT it's followed up by

So my strong hypothesis: hambeet got the vig n1, remembers the posts about it, knows it comes from cpig because of the earlier 'hypothetical'. The 'classic c-pig gambit' response is breadcrumbing for later so that if Cpig tells someone they gave hambeet the vig hambeet can point to this.

But, scum decide the extra vigs are too dangerous in role madness and target cpig and steak.

##vote hambeet

I'm Byzantium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

hambeet posted:

I'm Byzantium.

So you're saying the 'classic cpig gambit' part was a reaction to that rather than the breadcrumbing recieving the vig, okay.

That's good because that was the weakest part of my hypothesis and I was worrying about that a bit before posting - i was thinking you'd posted that before deciding on the nightkill (but it was quite late in the day) but it didn't quittttte fit.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah he posted the day before about byzantium trying to kill austria, which I suspected was him trying to flush me out, and when he flipped it confirmed it.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Byzantium was CPig's upgrade target lol

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mr. Humalong posted:

Byzantium was CPig's upgrade target lol

oh I see you said that, idk how I missed that part on my first read

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SalTheBard posted:

I've received 3

N1 - Jail Lumpen - Action Successful
N2 - Jail Hum - Action Successful
N3 - Jail Xiw - Action Successful

I'm trying to figure out why this a big deal to you?

Because that means you apparently had the only successful action last night. Either you’re lying or there’s a second lighting rod

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

More specifically if you didn’t get results at all then it could be ambiguous, but with an explicit successful result that leaves 3 possibilities
1) you did a mass jail and lied
2) there are 2 lightning rod roles in this game which makes the mod part of my brain sweaty
3) some third option that I can’t fathom but maybe lumpen will condescend to me about later

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Retro Futurist posted:

Because that means you apparently had the only successful action last night. Either you’re lying or there’s a second lighting rod

the problem is I can't see why he'd lie and then vote me - obviously using the big jail would be super obvious to everyone so it wouldn't achieve what liar-Sal wants to achieve. Scum sal would just do better jailing me, withholding the nk, and then get me killed for pushing on steak.

maybe someone has a bulk roleblock but jailor takes priority over roleblock
maybe someone has a power to power-up other people and hit Sal

Wouldn't a reusable lightning rod in a game with a jailor just prevent all nightkills forever? Seems unlikely. So it'd have to be another one-shot and I don't buy a second one-shot when we've seen one flipped.

I kind of lean towards the priority thing making this a full-on red herring.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Why would Secret Alliance Sal pop the Superjail and then pretend not to have done it? I don't see the angle. I can't see any possible reason Town Sal would do it and then lie about it either though. And he would be busted as a liar if there's no Jail in future days.

Secret Alliance Sal might be motivated to do the Superjail to free him up to do kills on future nights without having to account for a missing Jail, but then there wouldn't be any reason to deny doing it.

Any other explanation seems really unlikely though, I just can't imagine a scenario where this would be a good play for Sal regardless of alignment. Doing it and lying seems like it would just be inconceivable and totally pointless as Town, but maybe clumsy or crafty for some reason I can't see, if Secret Alliance.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Leith Maclaine posted:

I tracked either b- or hambeet. My action failed.

Oh this is interesting - I think you're in a similar sitch to me.

Who'd you track N1 and N2?

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

xiw posted:

Oh this is interesting - I think you're in a similar sitch to me.

Who'd you track N1 and N2?

I nominate 2, I do not know which one I actually track, I think that is my upgrade

N1 - RF and AA, whichever one I tracked appears to have visited no one
N2 - Sal and Cpig, whoever I tracked visited Hum
N3 - B- and Hambeet, unable to track.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Okay I think everyone left in the game has claimed an active ability. The reason why this is interesting is that the nightkills and vig usages have to fit into these, so there are definitely lies happening.

Sal: claims upgraded jailor, 95% confirmed. jailed lumpen N1, Hum N2, Xiw N3.
Leith: claims tracker. D1 either RF or AA, no result. D2 Sal or CPIG, visited Hum, probably Sal. D3 either b- or hambeet, blocked.
Hal: claims mason, confirmed by Lumpen D2 and Sal D3
Xiw: claims visiting CPig, Hum, Hal N1, xiw, hal, sal N2, tried to do Lumpen, xiw, hal N3 but blocked.
Hum: claims active ability, jailed N2, blocked N3
Lumpen: claims active ability, jailed N1, blocked n3
RF: claims active ability, targeted Lumpen N1 and failed due to jailing before Sal claimed, so likely true.
charms: claims active ability, failed N3, no further info
b-minus: N3 claims targetting Lumpen and blocked. No claim before day 3.
hambeet: claimed to target Hum N2 but only after knowing that Sal jailed them. No other claims.

Any reason why people shouldn't claim the rest of their targets at this point? There are a rapidly limiting number of people who could have done the N1 kill and the N2 3 kills (assuming we trust Steak's bodyguard results at this point)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

In particular I'd like to get charms, binus, and ham to tell us who they targetted N1 and N2. Don't forget at least 4 people have upgraded abilities we don't know about too - I'm guessing the bulk roleblock was one of those.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

xiw posted:

Okay I think everyone left in the game has claimed an active ability. The reason why this is interesting is that the nightkills and vig usages have to fit into these, so there are definitely lies happening.

Leith: claims tracker. D1 either RF or AA, no result. D2 Sal or CPIG, visited Hum, probably Sal. D3 either b- or hambeet, blocked.
Xiw: claims visiting CPig, Hum, Hal N1, xiw, hal, sal N2, tried to do Lumpen, xiw, hal N3 but blocked.
Hum: claims active ability, jailed N2, blocked N3
RF: claims active ability, targeted Lumpen N1 and failed due to jailing before Sal claimed, so likely true.
hambeet: claimed to target Hum N2 but only after knowing that Sal jailed them. No other claims.

Any reason why people shouldn't claim the rest of their targets at this point? There are a rapidly limiting number of people who could have done the N1 kill and the N2 3 kills (assuming we trust Steak's bodyguard results at this point)

hum targeted me night 2, not the other way around.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Aight misread. So Hambeet is the only person not to claim an active ability.

Hum: claims active ability, targetted hambeet but jailed N2, blocked N3
hambeet: none.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

My target was Leith Maclaine, twice, both successes. Third was Humalong.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

xiw posted:

Incorrect. I was never a Mason with Hal.

I was visited by someone calling themself "the messenger" on N2. They said they had visited AA on N1 and Hal on N2. (This was on N2 so maybe they meant N0 and N1??) They gave me a code word to identify them by which they haven't presented yet as far as I have seen. Hal confirmed also having been visited by the messenger.

Linguistically I guessed the messenger seemed like b-minus1, because they said "haha". However Binus now claimed to target me N3 which would seem to make him less likely the messenger. Or maybe he upgraded and has a reason to visit me again.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've been thinking about some stuff steak said yesterday in light of his flip, and now your post about me and cpig kind of made me realise something and my claim is part of that.

my un-upgraded power is a redirector of sorts. it's called byzantine bureaucracy.

i mark another player and anyone targeting me will be redirected to whomever i marked without knowing they were redirected. it is limited in that it does not redirect night kills. maybe my upgraded power redirects night kills, or maybe it becomes a full on bus driver. idk, my target hasn't died.

n1 I targeted cpig.

what if cpig did give me the vig that night, as suggested by xiw, but he ended up targeting himself because I marked him?

so he ends up with his own 1-shot vig to use, and used it night 2 instead of giving another out.

that could explain why when steak asked, no one claimed to have used his n1 vig or be in possession of his n2 vig. because cpig was dead and couldn't tell us he used it, and no one had his night 2 vig because he didn't give one out.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

n2 I targeted steak.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

xiw posted:

Aight misread. So Hambeet is the only person not to claim an active ability.

Hum: claims active ability, targetted hambeet but jailed N2, blocked N3
hambeet: none.

and I claimed my action was unsuccessful earlier today, in response to you asking, which kind of outs me having an active ability before you made this list.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Leith Maclaine posted:

I nominate 2, I do not know which one I actually track, I think that is my upgrade

N1 - RF and AA, whichever one I tracked appears to have visited no one
N2 - Sal and Cpig, whoever I tracked visited Hum
N3 - B- and Hambeet, unable to track.

You tracked me on Night 2, which I do find your phrasing of that weird because I was pretty open about the fact that I jailed Hum.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My targets were
N1 lumpen (failed)
N2 sal
N3 lumpen (failed)

My role isn’t particularly useful right now so i don’t have anything good to add here

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

n1 xiw success
n2 hambeet failed
n3 lumpen failed

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

SalTheBard posted:

You tracked me on Night 2, which I do find your phrasing of that weird because I was pretty open about the fact that I jailed Hum.

I track either You or CPIG, I don't know which.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

My phrasing is odd because I am uncertain who I tracked.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Leith Maclaine posted:

My phrasing is odd because I am uncertain who I tracked.

You tracked me. I jailed Hum and he confirmed it in thread.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

SalTheBard posted:

You tracked me. I jailed Hum and he confirmed it in thread.
If CPig was tracked visited Humalong N2, it would mean that Humalong was not jailed, (otherwise CPig could not be tracked there) and Humalong received a Vig, but then lied and said he failed an attempt to visit hambeet. This would mean that Sal and Humalong are both Secret Alliance, Sal could have done a kill N2 and used Humalong's claim of being jailed as an alibi, and Humalong could use a claim of being jailed as an alibi for having the vig to use on N3.

That seems like it would be a very risky gambit though, counting on nobody else successfully visiting Humlong N2. I would have to look back and see the timing of the claims to see if they claimed about it after everyone else, when it would be safe.

It's most likely that Leith's claim is just additional evidence that Sal indeed jailed Humalong, but it pings me that Sal is really insistent for this conclusion to be accepted without considering the alternative. And also Sal's claimed target of Humalong made no sense from his D1 posting that suggested he was most suspicious of xiw, and that he told Hal in Masonchat that he picked Humalong with "rng". He then said he lied about that but why would that be something to lie about?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Hi everyone. Need to get caught up. Will do thst today

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

If CPig was tracked visited Humalong N2, it would mean that Humalong was not jailed, (otherwise CPig could not be tracked there) and Humalong received a Vig, but then lied and said he failed an attempt to visit hambeet. This would mean that Sal and Humalong are both Secret Alliance, Sal could have done a kill N2 and used Humalong's claim of being jailed as an alibi, and Humalong could use a claim of being jailed as an alibi for having the vig to use on N3.

That seems like it would be a very risky gambit though, counting on nobody else successfully visiting Humlong N2. I would have to look back and see the timing of the claims to see if they claimed about it after everyone else, when it would be safe.

It's most likely that Leith's claim is just additional evidence that Sal indeed jailed Humalong, but it pings me that Sal is really insistent for this conclusion to be accepted without considering the alternative. And also Sal's claimed target of Humalong made no sense from his D1 posting that suggested he was most suspicious of xiw, and that he told Hal in Masonchat that he picked Humalong with "rng". He then said he lied about that but why would that be something to lie about?

I basically agree with all of this and I think Sal's play has not been great at all but I am struggling to see how any of the recet stuff makes sense as scum

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ooh, a backup! If someone had a vackuo/gravedigger type role they could have gotten the lightning rod after the first one died.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So in that case Sal is likely telling the truth about at least that much

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Excellent point Lumpen. Didn't think that Cpig could also have visited Hum

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Excellent point Lumpen. Didn't take into account that Cpig could have also visited Hum

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

hambeet posted:

I've been thinking about some stuff steak said yesterday in light of his flip, and now your post about me and cpig kind of made me realise something and my claim is part of that.

my un-upgraded power is a redirector of sorts. it's called byzantine bureaucracy.

i mark another player and anyone targeting me will be redirected to whomever i marked without knowing they were redirected. it is limited in that it does not redirect night kills. maybe my upgraded power redirects night kills, or maybe it becomes a full on bus driver. idk, my target hasn't died.

Nice try.

If Cpig had received his own vig n1 no way he wouldn't have indicated it in thread in some form d2. Everyone else i urge you to re-read all of cpig knowing he's giving out vigs - it's not long and it's as close to proof as I've ever seen.

Imagine being cpig here you've given hambeet a gun and received it back. That's super weird, you got redirected. It'd be useful for everyone to know that! So instead he posts about Byzantium.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

xiw posted:

Nice try.

If Cpig had received his own vig n1 no way he wouldn't have indicated it in thread in some form d2. Everyone else i urge you to re-read all of cpig knowing he's giving out vigs - it's not long and it's as close to proof as I've ever seen.

Imagine being cpig here you've given hambeet a gun and received it back. That's super weird, you got redirected. It'd be useful for everyone to know that! So instead he posts about Byzantium.

Nice catch. I think we got a live one. ##vote beet

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yeah that's pretty good xiw

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Making sure this is the right thread this time.

Idea, and this idea may suck but I do not have much else to contribute with my lack of information.

There were probably 4 scum originally, minus penny, means 3 left.

Can we make a list of 3-4 players that we are pretty sure are town to concentrate on the ones that are left?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

xiw posted:

Nice try.

uhh that's not a try, that's was just a theory for why we've heard nothing of the vig's. I only thought it a possibility he tried to give it to me after your post suggesting that he did.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Leith Maclaine posted:

Idea, and this idea may suck but I do not have much else to contribute with my lack of information.

Please have a read of Cpig's posts now that we know that he's town and can give out vigs and see what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charms
Oct 14, 2012

xiw posted:

That would make sense, though. He had a nightkill, he just needed someone to use it on.

Flushing out Byzantium by lying about his role seems like a bad move whether he had the nightkill or not, but that's what he was doing, so I don't think it's right to assume optimal gameplay from CapitalistPig.