Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Fabricated posted:

As far as Twitter goes the reaction is bad enough that I'm guessing that if there wasn't a Superbowl, dnc primary, and other bullshit going on it would probably be trending. Like uh, it's not good. Lots of Korean artists are deleting their stuff and even the fujo lady who is nuts over the series thinks it should be addressed.

E: granted there was a similarly big stink raised over Tanjirou's hanafuda earrings and that ended up not really mattering

Did I miss something about the hanafuda earrings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did I miss something about the hanafuda earrings?

The sun insignia on them resembles the imperial Japanese flag, and the series takes place shortly before Japan becomes imperial Japan. It was even censored in the Korean version of the anime.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Just looked up Maruta and...that's a hell of a thing to reference in your comic book for teenage boys. I could have really gone without the reminder that the bastards who performed those experiments got away with all of it.

Tasteless name aside, I find Shiga being Quirkless to be a very interesting detail, given his line of work. I can see him being like Izuku if he went all in on his Quirk studies, but didn't have a code of ethics to temper his pursuit of knowledge, though he may end up being a different beast altogether.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So if this was a western comic this would be the equivalent to naming him Mengele Verminkiller?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

So if this was a western comic this would be the equivalent to naming him Mengele Verminkiller?
Yeah. (Except South Korea and Japan still really hate each other so doubly)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, understanding the context, its an extremely :stare: creative decision that Horikoshi probably shouldn't have made, but given his past record and the fact that it's honestly kinda in keeping with how the American comics genre he's a ping would name that kind of villain, I feel like it probably didn't have any actual malice behind it and a quick apology would clear things up.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

As low a bar as it is, atleast this time the Japanese author casually references war crimes thing is related to a through and through bad guy who we are not meant to sympathise with at all rather then the usual brand of atrocity references

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, understanding the context, its an extremely :stare: creative decision that Horikoshi probably shouldn't have made, but given his past record and the fact that it's honestly kinda in keeping with how the American comics genre he's a ping would name that kind of villain, I feel like it probably didn't have any actual malice behind it and a quick apology would clear things up.

I mean it's not just as if a Western comic doing a Hitler/Nazi thing, it's a comic made in the very same nation that committed those war crimes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not like a Marvel comic having Captain America beat up Hitler or some poo poo like that.

I mean I realize that the Doc is objectively a terrible person and a clear-cut villain (who doesn't hesitate to experiment on his own grandson and has probably turned a baby into a Noumu given his warping Noumu's size) but there was the very real option of, you know, not using that as a name.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Funky Valentine posted:

No, because victims of his actions weren't nicknamed Mengele as a euphemism. The closest would probably be like Dr Jude or something similar, and even that's kinda missing the same vibe really.

Him being named something akin to Mengele would be the way to keep this reference, as intended, without it having the unfortunate misfire in its execution. By naming him after someone involved in the project, you keep the reference to Unit 731 and their hosed up human experimentation. And that way you don't also name him after the victims of that same experiment by accident.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 3, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On one hand I agree on the other hand acting like Americans don't regularly lionize their own war criminals, slave owners, rapists, and other horrific people is pretty ridiculous, let alone using them in negative fashion.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seriously, the most obvious call here is to name him Ishii instead.

ImpAtom posted:

On one hand I agree on the other hand acting like Americans don't regularly lionize their own war criminals, slave owners, rapists, and other horrific people is pretty ridiculous, let alone using them in negative fashion.

1) Horikoshi is drawing criticism from Chinese and Korean fans for this.
2) The whole "uwu America does bad things too so Americans can't criticise bad things anyone else does" shtick is extremely tiresome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

1) Horikoshi is drawing criticism from Chinese and Korean fans for this.
2) The whole "uwu America does bad things too so Americans can't criticise bad things anyone else does" shtick is extremely tiresome.

No, but when the Americans are wringing their hands and wondering how such a thing could happen and it's not at ALL like America then it becomes dumb.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

No, but when the Americans are wringing their hands and wondering how such a thing could happen and it's not at ALL like America then it becomes dumb.

What the gently caress does this matter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, I'm not an American.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

What the gently caress does this matter.

Because trying to act like it's not an ongoing and serious issue with superhero comics that they make incredibly tasteless references to real-world atrocities (many of those committed by America) is weird, as is trying to defend it by going "no see it's different from (x)" is ridiculous. It was an extremely bad decision that is entirely in-tone with the things MHA is based on. The fact that both of those things can be true is relevant to discussing what the problem is and why it may have happened beyond 'welp, turns out the author is actually a war criminal apologist.'

It is, in fact, a lot like superhero comics where we loved (and still love) to go to real world things as easy markers for villainhood. These range from serial killers to genuine atrocities and it is genuinely pretty lovely. This deserves serious criticism and any fans who are angry enough to drop the series over it are completely justified, but let's not pretend like it's different from American comics in any way.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If Horikoshi apologizes, I'll be fine. If he changes Murata's name, I'll also be fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Change his name to Gerald Robotnik. Everyone wins.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Next chapter he reveals that it he was using a fake name for his public life and reveal his true name(which will also be a reference to a war criminal).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As mentioned it's basically like naming the guy Dr Holocaust.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

Next chapter he reveals that it he was using a fake name for his public life and reveal his true name(which will also be a reference to a war criminal).

Hideki Fumimaro Ultrahitler Ishii IV

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dr. Shoah might be a more accurate version in that it's instantly picked up by the families and descendants of the victims while not necessarily being as recognizable to others.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dr Holocaust.

I smell a new frank miller comic in the works.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

As far as specifically American atrocities go, DC introduced villain named Agent Orange a while ago, though as he transitioned towards lovable scamp instead, they mostly called him by his name Larfleeze instead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They're changing the name apparently.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Junpei posted:

If Horikoshi apologizes, I'll be fine. If he changes Murata's name, I'll also be fine.
I don't feel like changing the artist of One Punch Man's family name is going to resolve this controversy

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

They're changing the name apparently.
Goody. Less ink on Hori's face.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1224295830389055488?s=19

Basically just saying the intent wasn't to reference historical events and that they're changing the name.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Google Search has told me that, while there is no Captain Holocaust, there is a Captain Nazi as well as some villains named "Holocaust" in DC and Marvel.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

While it's just as likely to be a cover-up story for damage control, it is possible that Horikoshi genuinely didn't mean to reference that guy. Maruta is the problematic term but it is also a common word and an anagram for Daruma which is the name he uses when interacting with the League. Either way it's getting changed so it doesn't matter, but hopefully it doesn't turn the hordes against Horikoshi if he genuinely didn't mean to be insensitive.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

While it's just as likely to be a cover-up story for damage control, it is possible that Horikoshi genuinely didn't mean to reference that guy. Maruta is the problematic term but it is also a common word and an anagram for Daruma which is the name he uses when interacting with the League. Either way it's getting changed so it doesn't matter, but hopefully it doesn't turn the hordes against Horikoshi if he genuinely didn't mean to be insensitive.
Apologize Horikoshi is trending in Korea at like 100k posts but Korea is pretty good at blowing up Twitter in general and Horikoshi's tweet literally happened minutes ago.

It's not even on the radar elsewhere.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It´s kind of a dumb name to use.

Like he knows they are searching for him. He's extremely careful. Why would you use an obvious name like that?
Surely they will never find me and discover my horrible inhuman experiments if I use an alias referring to horrible inhuman experiments!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mulderman posted:

It´s kind of a dumb name to use.

Like he knows they are searching for him. He's extremely careful. Why would you use an obvious name like that?
Surely they will never find me and discover my horrible inhuman experiments if I use an alias referring to horrible inhuman experiments!

His real name IS inhuman experiments. His alias is daruma

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Oh wow you're right.
Makes more sense, but yeah. Glad he's changing it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MonsterEnvy posted:

cough cough

Granted, Marvel changed that, too, eventually

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The key difference here, for me at least, is that the ones making Doctor Holocaust and Captain Nazi or whatnot are not the people from the country responsible for that poo poo.

Marvel's not from Germany. Neither is DC.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I know the discussion topic is kinda serious right now, but I just wanna say that the little nomu in his little shoes is very adorable.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

I know the discussion topic is kinda serious right now, but I just wanna say that the little nomu in his little shoes is very adorable.

I thought it was horrifying!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tweet my meat posted:

It was probably made using an adorable baby.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I thought it was horrifying!

It was probably made using a horrifying baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm not saying it's not ethically horrifying, because it certainly is, but look at that little guy with his big ol' smile and his fancy shoes.