Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah even Hearthstone eventually accepted they needed some kind of standard format when they hit I think their 4th or 5th expansion. You can't reasonably expect new players to be able to match someone who's been playing the entire life of the game at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They will almost certainly not rotate regions out of standard because that would be like rotating entire colours out of Magic, in a game where dual coloured decks are intended to be the norm at that.

I suspect the answer is they’ll make the region progress system more rewarding over time to help new players keep up. Given the way they’re talking about the game, I suspect at the end of the day the cards in the current factions are going to remain their primary cardset, plus editions for synergy with new regions, and then once they’ve added all the regions we’ll probably get Hearthstone style expansions for the entire game.

I can guarantee champions at the very least will never be rotated out, given a huge part of Legends of Runeterra is using lessons learnt from designing and developing League of Legends.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

njsykora posted:

Yeah even Hearthstone eventually accepted they needed some kind of standard format when they hit I think their 4th or 5th expansion. You can't reasonably expect new players to be able to match someone who's been playing the entire life of the game at that point.

Rotation is a solution to two problems, neither of which exist in Legends of Runeterra as currently constructed.

Rotation as an argument for aiding newer players against players with a significantly expanded collection
This is a solution in the sense that it is intended to combat systems that rely on blind buy of randomized assets with which you can play the game. With how fast the game allows you to level up and gain the resources you need to build a deck, I strongly doubt they will ever include a rotation for this reason, although guessing at such this early in the game's lifespan (it has been a week) seems crazy to me. What's more, I'm not sure I always follow with the "you have to accommodate the brand new players!!!" line that comes up frequently - Riot cares about making money and emphatically does not give a gently caress about players just starting out their games, as evidenced by League of Legends existing as it has for a decade. If you're just starting out, you can play the AI, gain experience, generate rewards in-faction based on which region you pick, and roll with it. There's a reason that there isn't a blind-buy system in the game - you can buy singles at your discretion, and can put together a strong deck almost immediately by purchasing wildcards. If anything, not rotating increases the likelihood that those who play months or years (?) from now will buy in to the game rather than durdle around with stuff they don't want. There isn't anything stopping you from using your wildcards, which are plentiful, to do whatever the hell you like, on top of shards existing and the weekly vault awarding a free draft token every week. If you don't like that your collection isn't as big as someone who has been playing since launch, uh... them's the breaks?

Hearthstone, and other games with blind buy, have rotations because there is zero guarantee that you, a new player, will be able to field a competitive deck against someone with a full collection because you have very little control over what you can put together in a reasonable timeframe unless you want to spend oodles of money. In Legends of Runeterra, you can get 3 Champions, 3 Epics, 6 Rares, and 6 Commons of your choice, every week, for less than $20. The need for a rotation essentially vanishes if you allow players to just get whatever they want like that, and if anything, again, not rotating encourages new players to drop at least a couple bucks on the game to quickly assemble a competitive deck. Players who don't want to spend any money but also want to play the game at a competitive level are essentially irrelevant for Riot (because they're not spending money), so concessions made for them at the expense of existing players who likely have bought into the game seems like a backward strategy.

Rotation as a solution for power creep
This is the main reason why rotation can be good for a game's long-term health, by cycling out cards that are simply too powerful or which have been defining the meta for too long. While I think this is an excellent reason for creating a rotation, thinking about creating it now, or indeed imagining that entire factions will rotate out of the meta, seems patently ridiculous. I'm not trying to be a dick about it, that just seems mind-bogglingly insane, especially if the intention is to continue creating new Champions and cards for each faction with various expansions that release. Nothing is so strong that it would warrant a rotation yet, there is no single faction that is so overpowered that they warp the meta irrevocably, they haven't even been given the chance to drop a new wave of cards to amend any problems they perceive with the game, etc.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Rotation is a solution to the inevitable problems that start cropping up when you're multiple expansions into a card game, especially a company's first crack at one. It isn't surprising that a card game with literally zero expansions and an unformed meta doesn't have an obvious problem to point to, but they'll gently caress up eventually.

Everyone does :shrug:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

FallenGod posted:

Rotation is a solution to the inevitable problems that start cropping up when you're multiple expansions into a card game, especially a company's first crack at one. It isn't surprising that a card game with literally zero expansions and an unformed meta doesn't have an obvious problem to point to, but they'll gently caress up eventually.

Everyone does :shrug:

Sure? Probably? But speculating that entire factions will rotate out is kinda ludicrous, as is thinking that a rotation might crop up at any point in the near future. It will likely be literally a year or more before that even realistically comes up, and that's if they catastrophically gently caress up the balance? If there is no obvious problem to point to, and blind buy doesn't exist, why are we already talking about a rotation, lol

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Because it's a card game with some interesting differences from other games and people are wondering how a staple of the genre might / might not work, given those differences?

Also known as discussing a game in the thread for discussion of the game.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

FallenGod posted:

Because it's a card game with some interesting differences from other games and people are wondering how a staple of the genre might / might not work, given those differences?

Also known as discussing a game in the thread for discussion of the game.

... which is precisely why I made an effortpost about it? Speculating about a rotation when there is no problem that would indicate they need to do that a week into the game's release is lol, man, sorry.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I get what you're saying and I agree with your points. It was just idle speculation on my part because I enjoy talking about this game but don't have much else to talk about, because it's been out for a week. I think it's fun to guess what the future of it might be like. I mentioned factions rotating out because I think that scenario is unlikely, but if they were to do rotations like other games do (X expansion and later = Standard), if you combine that with the idea of new factions being their expansions, it implies they'd have either have to do that or do something entirely different from similar games. I don't think it's "insane" to try and crystal ball.

I've been having fun with a Fiora Barrier deck. I've been winning with her win con surprisingly more often than I thought I would.

Also, I think I put my finger on why I love THIS game so much more than others in the genre right now -- the you go-I go constant direct interaction with the other player is just so, so satisfying. There's nothing else like it in CCGs. Even MTG:Arena doesn't let you summon a creature or cast any spell in response to every time your opponent does. It just feels like you're constantly maneuvering and reacting and thinking three moves ahead. When you outplay somebody you feel like a drat genius, and when they outsmart you it feels so personal. It might be my imagination but I can't remember any other game like this where I've had so many games that were "If you don't manage to win this turn, I will win next turn".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 2, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Imagined posted:

I get what you're saying and I agree with your points. It was just idle speculation on my part because I enjoy talking about this game but don't have much else to talk about, because it's been out for a week. I think it's fun to guess what the future of it might be like. I mentioned factions rotating out because I think that scenario is unlikely, but if they were to do rotations like other games do (X expansion and later = Standard), if you combine that with the idea of new factions being their expansions, it implies they'd have either have to to do or do something entirely different from similar games. I don't think it's "insane" to try and crystal ball.

I've been having fun with a Fiora Barrier deck. I've been winning with her win con surprisingly more often than I thought I would.

Trying to crystal ball is fun, and I think I overreacted because I was reading too much into it; believe it or not this is not the first time someone brought up "but rotation?" in some of the LoR discussions I've had across Discord/Skype and whatever. I just genuinely believe that until we see something that is crazy, crazy wrong with balance, rotation is super unlikely. I've already engaged with trying to future sight what a new expansion faction would be or mechanics that could interact with it, to the point I basically wrote Twisted Fate fanfiction in terms of his hypothetical abilities and statting when the likelihood is that he doesn't even get in assuming Bilgewater is an expansion faction. I'm sorry if I came off like I was trying to dunk on you. That was lame of me.

Rotation specifically is a discussion I've just had a bunch of times, in favor of either side ("there should be a rotation" // "why would they do a rotation"). It's a contentious issue with me and mine but I imported that to the thread which I should not have. I used to play a ton of FFG's X-Wing, and when they effectively "rotated" by releasing a 2.0 version of the game, it killed a large part of my playgroup. I also used to play a lot of FFG's Netrunner, and that game needed to rotate or ban more cards far more than they actually did, and after the meta stayed stale for so long it also effectively killed my playgroup. It's a difficult balance to strike.

I think rather than a rotation I'd like to see them just throw some stuff into the ToS if it isn't already in there that says "we can change cards at any time for any reason and you won't get a refund immediately." If a card you own gets tweaked, you can refund it from the refund tab since it hasn't "been used" in its new configuration yet, if you really hate the change or want a chance to pivot away from a deck you've invested in. Use the new version in a real game and it's yours again. Adjusting mana costs or spell speeds and trying to salvage a card that is maybe too oppressive instead of just tossing the baby out with the bathwater seems like the best solution, even if John Q gets mad that his broken garbage gets hit with the nerf stick.

In Fiora news, I've stopped playing that deck as frequently while I try to goof off with Ezreal + stuff concepts that rarely work as effectively. Yasuo/Zed is my go-to "I wanna win some ranked" deck at the moment, but Fiora OTK is up there. Are you getting mileage out of Judgment? Because I'm basically not. I've done dumb poo poo like stealing wins with it on turn 5 if the opponent is asleep at the wheel, but there's just so much stuff now in so many constructed decks that it's hard to find the opportunities to play it. Even if it's no longer going for a one-turn kill, I've gotten way more use out of just slowly amassing 4 kills with Fiora rather than trying to get them at all once, using barriers, Shen, Single Combat, and Fiora's Riposte to just combat trick my way to victory. I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to increase the Inspiring Mentors I run from 2 to 3 just to really push Fiora out of cheap removal range, but I'm not sure what to cut.

Would you mind throwing up your deck code so I can give it a whirl?

e:

Imagined posted:

Also, I think I put my finger on why I love THIS game so much more than others in the genre right now -- the you go-I go constant direct interaction with the other player is just so, so satisfying. There's nothing else like it in CCGs. Even MTG:Arena doesn't let you summon a creature or cast any spell in response to every time your opponent does. It just feels like you're constantly maneuvering and reacting and thinking three moves ahead. When you outplay somebody you feel like a drat genius, and when they outsmart you it feels so personal. It might be my imagination but I can't remember any other game like this where I've had so many games that were "If you don't manage to win this turn, I will win next turn".
I think that's a more succinct way of putting why I like the game so much. I like that I always feel like I have stuff to do, and even that I can trick my opponent into thinking that I have stuff to do; the Yasuo deck is where I'm getting so much fun out of the game at present because it isn't just "draw dudes, play dudes, swing." Fiora/Shen, Yasuo/Zed, and Ezreal/Karma have been a blast to play, as has Jinx/Draven, because every time I think I have a locked-in game winner I get surprised by some poo poo, and often stop locked-in game winners from opponents with a clutch play. It also feels very satisfyingly swingy, too - rarely do I have turns where it's "okay, I stopped your gamewinner, but only for this turn, hope I get a solid topdeck" and more often it's "you thought that was gonna win, but then I stunned him and he died heh nothin personnel kid." Or, commonly, the reverse, when I show lethal and then it's like Frostbite->Shatter haha you lose now.

Also there's so many goddamn units that have pivotal ETB effects or that otherwise radically change the board state in a single action, it's great. You might think you have a handle on things, then, bam, actually the game is completely different now.

I make it sound annoying I think but it's actually super fun.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 2, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, because there’s so little actual monetary costs to Legends of Runeterra compared to Heartbstone if a card is too good then they’ll just nerf it, as soon as they need to. We’re not going to have situations of one care ruling the game for months because the Legends of Runeterra team are bringing the philosophy of balance that League of Legends itself has in terms of being a digital multiplayer experience where tweaking buffing and nerfing is incredibly easy to do relative to a physical card game.

Also to remind everyone, this is an Open Beta, not the full game release. Whilst they’re not going to reset collections anymore they are going to be constantly shifting changing and updating the game and the client. The new regions being expansions are more like additions to the core card list, not actual expansions/new sets.

Also the whole back and forth thing is basically why I argue so heavily for people to make sure their decks are diverse in their win conditions and play options because you cannot just be an aggro deck and expect to be able to freely run someone down like you can in Magic or Hearthstone. Control decks can’t just sit back and stall for wins because both players act at all times. Jinx Draven aggro becoming Jinx/Draven/Ezreal was my personal eureka moment where I understood what the game actually is asking players to do and think about when deck building.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 2, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, remember the philosophy is that the money is being made on selling cosmetics. So expansions will also mean new board skins, new guardians, eventually new card backs probably. Though I've yet to play against anyone using anything but the standard Rift/Poro look.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

In Fiora news, I've stopped playing that deck as frequently while I try to goof off with Ezreal + stuff concepts that rarely work as effectively. Yasuo/Zed is my go-to "I wanna win some ranked" deck at the moment, but Fiora OTK is up there. Are you getting mileage out of Judgment? Because I'm basically not. I've done dumb poo poo like stealing wins with it on turn 5 if the opponent is asleep at the wheel, but there's just so much stuff now in so many constructed decks that it's hard to find the opportunities to play it. Even if it's no longer going for a one-turn kill, I've gotten way more use out of just slowly amassing 4 kills with Fiora rather than trying to get them at all once, using barriers, Shen, Single Combat, and Fiora's Riposte to just combat trick my way to victory. I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to increase the Inspiring Mentors I run from 2 to 3 just to really push Fiora out of cheap removal range, but I'm not sure what to cut.

Would you mind throwing up your deck code so I can give it a whirl?

My deck is here. I copied it from somebody but I can't remember who or I'd link theirs.

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/borgmoulnis33dnbcum0

I think you're right. I can't recall ever actually getting to play the Judgement in this deck. I also think Rivershaper underperforms and I'm thinking about something else in his spot. Recommendations? Greenglade Caretaker to give me something to do on turn 1?

Deck code is: CEBAIAIAAMERCLIGAEBAEJJIFMYTSAQDAEAAOGRFAEAQEDACAEAQEBABAEACY

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 2, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I'm an idiot, how do you use that code?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Eraflure posted:

I'm an idiot, how do you use that code?

There's an import deck button in the selecting decks menu

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Man this really is 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Studio posted:

There's an import deck button in the selecting decks menu

When it works let us know :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

To say that Riot doesn't care about new players seems unlikely? I mean at some point all players were new, yes?? People move on from these card games, Runeterra is not the same as LOL where people seem to be committed to the game long term. If Riot is going to truly ignore the new player experience, then when the next shiny thing in card games comes along, they will be without a base. People left HS when MtgA came along and HS had to respond to that, just like they are going to respond to Runeterra.

We'll see, but I have big doubts that 'Riot doesn't care about new players'.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Riot recently overhauled the new player experience in League by making it easier to acquire new champions, and by removing the old rune system, which was a big barrier to entry. It seems dishonest to assume that they wouldn’t be willing to make adaptations for new Runeterra players whenever new content necessitates it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I could write something up, but I imagine Riot's looked at their competitors, and they're trying to build a game that supports casual, new, and returning players more than mtg, hstobe, etc (those two have huuuuuuuge problems with this).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mayveena posted:

Importing decks via code works for me. Is it broken?

Mayveena posted:

To say that Riot doesn't care about new players seems unlikely? I mean at some point all players were new, yes?? People move on from these card games, Runeterra is not the same as LOL where people seem to be committed to the game long term. If Riot is going to truly ignore the new player experience, then when the next shiny thing in card games comes along, they will be without a base. People left HS when MtgA came along and HS had to respond to that, just like they are going to respond to Runeterra.

We'll see, but I have big doubts that 'Riot doesn't care about new players'.
I mean that Riot does not care about new players once they have established a game that people will play, with the evidence being League of Legends. When I say "new players," I mean in direct contrast to "old players," and this game isn't old enough to have longtime players yet. Look at League: unlocking new heroes is expensive and does not get easier if you've never played the game before (although I think there's a "getting started" quest that gives you enough for one hero? I think?). Summoner Spells, which are absolutely critical to playing the game, are gated behind account level and you do not get them for just making a new account and wanting them really badly. I'm not saying Riot won't try to attract new players to Legends of Runeterra - the opposite is true - but I do believe based on how they handle their other most popular game on the planet that they're not super concerned with attracting new free-to-play types once they've established their userbase. Chiefly what I meant to say and what I still believe in true is that Riot will not cater to new players at the expense of the existing userbase once that has been created, and rotation wouldn't come up until such time as the game likely had an established user base, right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have two paths to go down for Ashe Fiora.

1.) The mono demacia shell (with the allegiance card) + omen Hawks + the 2 drop wolves + ashe
2.) More freljord with archers, rimefang wolves, and bjergs -1 Fiora +1 Tryndamere

The first is working out way better than I expected it to so far, it just dominates the early board which is an instant win in the majority of matchups. The second doesn't get the huge turn 4 pump from the allegiance guy but Bjerg might prevent it from running out of gas better.

Rally effects are super strong vs control decks but it's hard to play them as more than a 1-of.

(I'll acknowledge that both of these are probably weaker than the mono demacia deck splashing for denies and mentors)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Importing deck codes doesn't appear to let me know what I need to craft to make the deck and what I'm missing, that's what I mean. It 'works' in that something happens but not anything that I can understand. So I just copy the decks by hand.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Mayveena posted:

You past the code into the text box, it isn't where you name the deck you're importing.

I make that mistake every time.

Mayveena posted:

Importing deck codes doesn't appear to let me know what I need to craft to make the deck and what I'm missing, that's what I mean. It 'works' in that something happens but not anything that I can understand. So I just copy the decks by hand.

That's just the deck builder UI being purestrain garbage. Hopefully they fix it soon, but it's kind of amazing that you can't see any of your crafting resources without clicking individual cards and that you can't even see how many of a card you have / are missing. Even in the collection interface it goes x0 -> x1 -> x2 -> nothing?!? when you have 3 copies, which is amazing UI logic.

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 2, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The Rime wolf and shaman are both disgusting cards and both of them together is insanely disgusting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

I mean that Riot does not care about new players once they have established a game that people will play, with the evidence being League of Legends. When I say "new players," I mean in direct contrast to "old players," and this game isn't old enough to have longtime players yet. Look at League: unlocking new heroes is expensive and does not get easier if you've never played the game before (although I think there's a "getting started" quest that gives you enough for one hero? I think?). Summoner Spells, which are absolutely critical to playing the game, are gated behind account level and you do not get them for just making a new account and wanting them really badly. I'm not saying Riot won't try to attract new players to Legends of Runeterra - the opposite is true - but I do believe based on how they handle their other most popular game on the planet that they're not super concerned with attracting new free-to-play types once they've established their userbase. Chiefly what I meant to say and what I still believe in true is that Riot will not cater to new players at the expense of the existing userbase once that has been created, and rotation wouldn't come up until such time as the game likely had an established user base, right?

like someone just mentioned they changed the lol intro stuff and you get a ton of champs thrown at you. and the summoner spell thing is explicitly for helping new players learn by basically making that not something they have to worry about and is constantly something people making alts complain about, not new players. they might not be very good at it but they definitely do want to try and onboard new players in lol and probably will for this as well.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

guts and bolts posted:

unless they've drastically overhauled it in a way I'm not aware of, that's not a very fair representation of the new player experience in league. I mean, I have a number of issues with it, but it's way easier to get stuff (like new champs, particularly the cheapest ones) than you're making it sound.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
League also has the issue of players smurfing, or rerolling twinks so they can stomp on newbies, so they don't want to make it TOO easy to power up a new account. Nobody's ever going to do that in a collectible card game.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 2, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine they could eventually start a "new player boost" either sold in the store or as a free "you went 6+ months without playing the game, have a large pool of additional experience from daily play" sorta thing.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Look at League: unlocking new heroes is expensive and does not get easier if you've never played the game before (although I think there's a "getting started" quest that gives you enough for one hero? I think?). Summoner Spells, which are absolutely critical to playing the game, are gated behind account level and you do not get them for just making a new account and wanting them really badly.
the new player experience in league is tremendously good right now, and it makes veterans(especially those who have multiple accounts across regions) salty because of how good it is.

https://zarosboosting.com/blog/lol-level-up-rewards/

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Runeterra could always go the way of Yugioh and allow every card ever printed to be played. Every time an expansion comes out, just unlock every card from 2 expansions ago and before for everyone, and greatly reduce the xp required for the prior expansion's journey so players catch up to the current expansion very quickly.

Honestly, even before the next expansion, Riot should accelerate the unlocking of what is already out. The current pace makes sense for a newly released game, but if we get to a point 4 months from now and the first expansion is getting ready to come out, I don't know if I would be able to get any of my friends into the game if they know they will have to grind quests for weeks to catch up. Once a content release schedule is in place, there should be a weekly reduction in xp needed for each unlock.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm tellin you guys Tiana Crownguard. Incredible top end, deny can't stop it. Steals wins vs stupid rhasa decks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm an incredible dumbass who's bad at games, someone point me in at a primer for "mana curve" - I'm aware of that little graph in the deck builder but I don't know how to use the information it's giving me :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The general idea is just that you want to give yourself something to do to make the most of every single turn. But unless you're running a super aggro deck you usually just want the low cost stuff to just set you up for the meat of your deck. Most of your stuff should be 3-6 mana with just a few finishers bigger than that.

In my opinion the ideal mana curve should look like a bell, slightly steeper on the left side than the right. Especially in this game where there aren't a ton of ramp (cards that increase your mana faster than normal) cards yet.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 3, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

I'm tellin you guys Tiana Crownguard. Incredible top end, deny can't stop it. Steals wins vs stupid rhasa decks.

Brightsteel formation I also feel is being slept on, you need a removal spell for it immediately or how are you going to deal with a full board of barriers on a 9/9 body?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

No Wave posted:

Hmm, a compelling argument.

On the other hand, World of Warcraft would consider those shoulderpads over the top and I won't support such tomfoolery.

Its pretty rad that all of the full card art in this game is really high-quality and conveniently monitor-sized already.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Stux posted:

like someone just mentioned they changed the lol intro stuff and you get a ton of champs thrown at you. and the summoner spell thing is explicitly for helping new players learn by basically making that not something they have to worry about and is constantly something people making alts complain about, not new players. they might not be very good at it but they definitely do want to try and onboard new players in lol and probably will for this as well.

pog boyfriend posted:

the new player experience in league is tremendously good right now, and it makes veterans(especially those who have multiple accounts across regions) salty because of how good it is.
I think I misrepresented my point, so that's my bad.

Onboarding players is good, and I haven't made a new League account in several years. I'm glad they throw a bunch of free heroes at you. But that's essentially what the Prologue already does in LoR - you get a bunch of free cards, a few wildcards, and Expedition token, and you're sent on your way. Outside of extremely rare circumstances (just one that I know of, Gangplank?), League never "rotates" heroes, which is where this new player discussion originated from (the idea of rotation). Even when the game's balance is, at a glance, out of whack, they'll just buff a different hero or nerf the problem until the meta shifts again. To that end, I fully expect them to embrace that style of adjusting for their card game rather than just saying "oh but new players won't have full collections/be able to play constructed because there's too much stuff, let's start a rotation." Onboarding a new player and getting one to play is fine and dandy and certainly is something they want to do, but they wouldn't do that at the expense of their existing userbase, which is what a rotation emphatically does.

TyrantWD posted:

Honestly, even before the next expansion, Riot should accelerate the unlocking of what is already out. The current pace makes sense for a newly released game, but if we get to a point 4 months from now and the first expansion is getting ready to come out, I don't know if I would be able to get any of my friends into the game if they know they will have to grind quests for weeks to catch up. Once a content release schedule is in place, there should be a weekly reduction in xp needed for each unlock.
I actually don't think they need to do this, either. You unlock stuff at a crazy clip in this game, particularly if you're successful at drafting, and you are given a lot of free stuff every week just for playing the game. The concept of "catching up" doesn't make sense because of the way the rewards are structured - you get random cards of specific rarities, or you get wildcards, with shards sprinkled in. What are your friends "catching up" to? If they want a deck they can build it pretty fast because the rewards are largely discretionary. They can jump right into constructed play by just picking 40 cards they want and rolling.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm an incredible dumbass who's bad at games, someone point me in at a primer for "mana curve" - I'm aware of that little graph in the deck builder but I don't know how to use the information it's giving me :v:

The concept of a mana curve is pretty intuitive to understand - assuming that you gain one available resource per turn/round of the game, you want to be able to play something on that turn that is exactly that expensive in order to maximize the efficiency of your use of resources. So on turn 1, you play an asset that costs 1 resource. On turn 2, you play an asset that costs 2, and so on. The end result of this is that in order to maximize your chances of playing "on curve," you (as a rule) will tend to include more cards that cost fewer resources and fewer cards that cost more resources, as you will accumulate cards throughout the game and your initial draw state creates a scenario in which you will (almost!) always have more cards than you can actually play on most turns. If you cut all your 1/2/3 cost units and spells for units and spells that all cost 4/5/6, you are way less likely to be able to play "on curve," because several turns will pass in which you effectively do nothing.

What most people mean when they're talking about the curve is what the curve of their specific deck is, and these deviations are important to consider when you are thinking about how to construct your own deck. In a deck that emphasizes quick aggression, you want to make sure you're quick and aggressive, so the deck is likely to contain a lot more early engine starters than 9-cost finishers. If the game goes to round 9, you are probably irreparably behind if the concept of your deck is "win by turn 5." As such, your deck's curve is between 0 and 4 cost with 5 cost asset(s) as the "curve topper," or the most expensive card(s) you really want to be playing within the shell you've built. Whether a card is permanent or not usually factors into this determination.

When something is played "on curve," the meaning is combination of both above concepts. Playing Elise on turn 2 every game is the ideal scenario in which you'd want to play Elise in a vacuum, so doing so is playing her "on curve." Obviously, real-world scenarios will sometimes make this a less than ideal choice - maybe you'd rather play a Black Spear on turn 2 to kill a threatening Elusive unit (just an example!) instead, but that's the general gist of it.

So, when deck building, you're essentially picking where you think/want your deck will/to peak at, and your curve is graded accordingly, with exceptions cropping up from time to time. If I'm playing Ezreal and Teemo, for example, my deck might look like something that is at maximum power on turn 4 or whatever (again, just an example). I'm trying to win, or lock in my win condition, at around that time. Therefore there's not a lot of sense in including a large number of cards that exceed that value (4) without having a very good reason for doing so.

There are obviously loads of exceptions and none of these rules are hard and fast, and one of LoR's most interesting mechanics (spell mana!) makes grading out a traditional curve a little more wacky and weird, but those are the basics.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 3, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Brightsteel formation I also feel is being slept on, you need a removal spell for it immediately or how are you going to deal with a full board of barriers on a 9/9 body?

Chump for a turn, win with elusives

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

I think I misrepresented my point, so that's my bad.

Onboarding players is good, and I haven't made a new League account in several years. I'm glad they throw a bunch of free heroes at you. But that's essentially what the Prologue already does in LoR - you get a bunch of free cards, a few wildcards, and Expedition token, and you're sent on your way. Outside of extremely rare circumstances (just one that I know of, Gangplank?), League never "rotates" heroes, which is where this new player discussion originated from (the idea of rotation). Even when the game's balance is, at a glance, out of whack, they'll just buff a different hero or nerf the problem until the meta shifts again. To that end, I fully expect them to embrace that style of adjusting for their card game rather than just saying "oh but new players won't have full collections/be able to play constructed because there's too much stuff, let's start a rotation." Onboarding a new player and getting one to play is fine and dandy and certainly is something they want to do, but they wouldn't do that at the expense of their existing userbase, which is what a rotation emphatically does.

youll need to clarify again because i have no idea what youre trying to say a rotation in lol would be. by mentioning gangplank do you mean reworking or removing?

also i dont feel like there is anywhere near as big a hurdle for a new player in lol from having a smaller champion pool as there is in a tcg when you have a limited card pool vs full collections. theres a gigantic difference there. especially at the skill level of a new player it doesnt really matter about champion metas, everyone is perfectly viable and that stays true up until actual high elo for the most part as well. meanwhile lacking core cards to build viable decks directly impacts how likely it is you will win each match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Yasuo stun/recall decks seem very strong from what I've seen so far, and from what I can tell it's also a good counter to elusive decks. Does this hold up at higher ranks?