Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

esselfortium posted:

I did half the music in Studio Élan‘s “Heart of the Woods” and I’m the composer for several of their in-development projects! I’ve also worked on some other VNs and narrative games like “Subserial Network” and “National Park Girls”.

That's cool, HotW was fun.

A new thread in which to say Fatal Twelve is my favorite visual novel and more people should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
raging loop, post Wit route

Fusaishi has 500% lost his mind already lol, I really hope he's a Wolf in the next route. He's already discovered that winning the feast on the human side means nothing. I will say that I'm kinda disappointed that the game didn't go for a huge swerve, with Fusaishi living out his life with Rikako for 60 years or whatever and then being sent back to the beginning of the loop. It would have been a cool way to change him immensely.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Raging loop seems good

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
It is, it's not 100% fantastic and I got really annoyed when I died 3 times in a row, but it pulled me back in right away to the point where I was looking forward to playing more of it even while dreaming lol

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
more raging loop, Darkness route, end game theorizing that might turn out to be true and would almost certainly taint your thinking process regardless

Lmfao, when I saw that Fusaishi was going to trick Haru and Kaori, I assumed the writers were about to go kinda chickenshit and walk back how crazy Fusaishi had become by the end of the Wit route. That is not even remotely the case, this dude is 500000% a demon now and the true thing that the Feast is meant to kill. I honestly think the last route will be, in some way, the wolves and the townspeople banding against Fusaishi, the lone yomibito.

My alternate theory is something that I really, really loving hope it isn't, but has equal amounts of evidence pointing towards it. My greatest concern is that this is all a show done up by the head families of Kamifujiyoshi. It's been mentioned several times that they're far richer than any family in a rural area has the right to be, and Mamiya was talking about how the kanji for Ookami-sama and Shin'nai-sama have radicals that spell out "big" and "show". I really, really hope this isn't the end game twist. Actual supernatural stuff is always more interesting to me than the inevitable explanations.Oh, there's paths hidden beneath the village, and the mist comes from that fog machine that was mentioned as a possibility in the Yomi route, and the water they're spilling is a repellent to the actual wild dogs that the head families release every night in order to simulate the corruption.

There's so much evidence that points to this latter theory, especially the fact that the Nosato family is experienced in pharmaceuticals and could just drug and murder anyone who tries to escape Yasumizu. That would explain Fusaishi's lack of memory, they stalk any escapees until it's clear nobody's coming and that they're completely lost, and then hit them with chloroform or something.

As for the sleeping, that is one of the few reasons I still have hope that this isn't the case. I was initially thinking there might be something in the Yasumizu water supply and that's why the cleansing is required, some kind of contact poisoning that knocks people out, but that's so outlandish that if they were willing to use that I think they'd just go for a supernatural story anyways.

Considering that my initial worry that they weren't going to deliver on Fusaishi's insanity was immediately dispelled, I still have faith that they'll tell this story in an interesting way, even if it does end up being a non-supernatural solution. But I do hope that these are all red herrings.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I started playing Raging Loop. It's interesting so far. I guess the premise is basically like a game of mafia?

edit: This Chikamochi guy owns

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 1, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

klapman posted:

more raging loop, Darkness route, end game theorizing that might turn out to be true and would almost certainly taint your thinking process regardless

Lmfao, when I saw that Fusaishi was going to trick Haru and Kaori, I assumed the writers were about to go kinda chickenshit and walk back how crazy Fusaishi had become by the end of the Wit route. That is not even remotely the case, this dude is 500000% a demon now and the true thing that the Feast is meant to kill. I honestly think the last route will be, in some way, the wolves and the townspeople banding against Fusaishi, the lone yomibito.

My alternate theory is something that I really, really loving hope it isn't, but has equal amounts of evidence pointing towards it. My greatest concern is that this is all a show done up by the head families of Kamifujiyoshi. It's been mentioned several times that they're far richer than any family in a rural area has the right to be, and Mamiya was talking about how the kanji for Ookami-sama and Shin'nai-sama have radicals that spell out "big" and "show". I really, really hope this isn't the end game twist. Actual supernatural stuff is always more interesting to me than the inevitable explanations.Oh, there's paths hidden beneath the village, and the mist comes from that fog machine that was mentioned as a possibility in the Yomi route, and the water they're spilling is a repellent to the actual wild dogs that the head families release every night in order to simulate the corruption.

There's so much evidence that points to this latter theory, especially the fact that the Nosato family is experienced in pharmaceuticals and could just drug and murder anyone who tries to escape Yasumizu. That would explain Fusaishi's lack of memory, they stalk any escapees until it's clear nobody's coming and that they're completely lost, and then hit them with chloroform or something.

As for the sleeping, that is one of the few reasons I still have hope that this isn't the case. I was initially thinking there might be something in the Yasumizu water supply and that's why the cleansing is required, some kind of contact poisoning that knocks people out, but that's so outlandish that if they were willing to use that I think they'd just go for a supernatural story anyways.

Considering that my initial worry that they weren't going to deliver on Fusaishi's insanity was immediately dispelled, I still have faith that they'll tell this story in an interesting way, even if it does end up being a non-supernatural solution. But I do hope that these are all red herrings.

:shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface: :shepface:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I need to go to bed

edit: Okay I can't go to bed what the gently caress was that? What? What the gently caress? I haven't been stunned into disbelief like this since Muv-Luv. It was so stunning I didn't even realize I was stunned. What the gently caress was that? What the gently caress? What am I even supposed to say? What the gently caress was that? What?

Lose all words.

I really want to see what happens if I go back. I won't, this time, but I really really really really want to. God I want to so bad.

klapman fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 1, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hope this is the first of many reactions to the ending of Darkness

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my reaction whew boy i hope fuasashi is still gonna get his goddess gf

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raging Loop is great so far, just finished the first route. Remains to be seen if everything will be tied together well, but it's definitely succeeding as a "page-turner."

edit: Rikako is hilarious

edit2: I also like how the protagonist is pretty savvy and usually speculates about the same stuff the player would speculate about

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 2, 2020

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've read a lot of thrillers and Raging Loop has surpassed my expectations, though I'm still not quite at the full end yet. I hope there's another route in here somewhere cause I don't want it to be over just yet lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the post darkness route scene with chiemi is good poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Staying up too late playing this. I'm pretty sure that even with a sub-par ending this will still end up one of the better VNs I've played, just because of how engaging it is and how good the characters are.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stop saying uu uu, Maria

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

Stop saying uu uu, Maria

No.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
raging loop post darkness spoilers

First off, god loving drat I'm good lol, so much of my theorizing was spot on. I assumed from the gigantic loving monster that I was clearly wrong and it was only supernatural in nature, but now I don't know. Fusaishi seems to have come to some conclusion regarding God, but my theorizing on that front begins and ends at "he's just tripping balls". All the rationalist explanations have left me kind of at sea on the supernatural front, because it looks like almost the entirety of the feast is manmade. The fact that the girl at the inn Fusaishi wakes up in has the same voice as God wasn't lost on me, but at the same time why did Haru speak exactly like her if Haru never met her before?

Is God something that can alter itself within communication itself? I'm not sure what I typed there, but that's the impression I think I have right now. Haru said something, and Fusaishi heard something else, but God manipulated it so that it made sense to both parties? If that's possible, then what has everyone else been hearing this whole time? What if instead of God possessing people, God is only capable of distorting communication? After all, God says they're powerless, and defines powerlessness as being unable to benefit humanity. If they were capable of possession, they'd be able to take direct action and impact the world, thus making them capable of beneficial actions.

But if all they can do is distort communication between people, I think that would fall under that definition of powerlessness. You can't build healthy relationships based on distorted communication, so even attempts at causing good things would inevitably backfire in a way that would harm the very foundation of those relationships. Not only would it be impossible to create a positive environment, any action at all would end in far greater harm than good. If I consider the seemingly supernatural elements of the feast as God trying and failing the first few times to interfere, and only making it harsher and more brutal, I could see them being driven insane by their powerlessness and coming to hate themselves for it.

After all, in the song the Badger comes late, right? And God hates being called by that name. Maybe the Badger came so late that it couldn't help Shin'nai-san, and that reminds me that apparently Shin'nai-san was all broken up. Originally Shin'nai-san was a mother, a father, and a child, but God says that they got all smashed up and mixed together. The badger came late, with nare as a fix... I remember that the "shishi" in "shishinare" was random meat, meat from beasts in general, but I forget what the nare was. They had to ferment the meat, was "nare" fermentation then? Aaah, I don't remember what fermentation is very well exactly. Something to do with yeast, and I think you have to do it to make booze. It involves waiting, so...

Waiting would imply looping until it fully "ferments" and then the "shishi" (random, maybe cobbled together meat, meaning the disparate and cobbled together parts of Shin'nai-san) is now safe for consumption. However, that implies that the sheep is the Badger, not God. Mamiya makes a point of saying that religion is always influenced by politics and changes based on how things change, so...

That's the exact point where my brain has fried. I'll go back to playing the game now. This one's got me firing on all cylinders, though I have no idea if anything I've said is actually on the mark or not. This is a very fun game to speculate about.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

*slap* stop saying uu-uu- Maria!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

*slap* stop saying uu-uu- Maria!

imo child abuse isnt funny

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The beatrice letter reading music owns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All in all I know this series plays around with narration and red words and whatnot, but I hope it'll tell me what the rules over the whole mystery are

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Namtab posted:

The [any random music from Umineko] owns

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Namtab posted:

All in all I know this series plays around with narration and red words and whatnot, but I hope it'll tell me what the rules over the whole mystery are
There are rules but a lot of the challenge is working out what they are.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just got the true end of RL so while I'm waiting for everyone to catch up I'll just say this: rikkako is still best girl.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Also just finished the True Ending of Raging Loop. I'm satisfied, I think. How the gently caress did they add even more to the game though lmfao come on jesus christ I looked through the scenario chart almost every chapter has a new scene in it!!!! Come on!!!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. You basically want to fastforward through the whole game, it will stop for the new content. Make sure to keep a lookout for the secret endings.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like (Raging Loop "Wit" route spoilers) being buddies with my big strong daddy in this route.

Namtab posted:

The advice I always give about Umineko (that avoids being spoiler-y at all) is that you want to focus at least as much on solving the mystery of the characters' circumstances and motivations as you do on the specific mechanics/logic.

Stairmaster posted:

Just got the true end of RL so while I'm waiting for everyone to catch up I'll just say this: rikkako is still best girl.

I haven't finished yet (I'm on Wit route) but I agree with this sentiment so far.

I actually like how early in this route the protagonist basically acknowledges how the stuff with Chiemi in the previous loop was basically a suspension bridge effect sorta situation and that he doesn't really know her well enough to think it's some kind of "true love" or anything.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

klapman posted:

Also just finished the True Ending of Raging Loop. I'm satisfied, I think. How the gently caress did they add even more to the game though lmfao come on jesus christ I looked through the scenario chart almost every chapter has a new scene in it!!!! Come on!!!!

I think raging loop might beat pokemon gold/silver in this department because god drat

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Since people are talking about Raging Loop and I can't be bothered to play all the extra scenarios myself. Does the game ever explain what Meiko's deal is. I love how at the end of the game Fusaishi thinks a very young girl disappearing is ok, and somehow things will turn out alright for her.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Important advisory for raging loop post game: The revelation mode stuff applies to the hint corners as well. (I skimmed the tutorial but didn't see anything there).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Since people are talking about Raging Loop and I can't be bothered to play all the extra scenarios myself. Does the game ever explain what Meiko's deal is. I love how at the end of the game Fusaishi thinks a very young girl disappearing is ok, and somehow things will turn out alright for her.
I strongly suggest playing the Sheep chapter, it explains a bunch of stuff. The other chapters are more epilogues for various characters.

Meiko also apparently appears in the author's other game, "Death Match Love Comedy", but that's not in English and I have no idea what it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao at Mocchi suddenly dropping Haruaki's pants at the beginning of the third route.

edit: gently caress yes, this route is the sort of one that I expected would end up happening at some point

To be honest this is worth playing even if the mysteries aren't resolved in a satisfying way; the "game" in each route is interesting enough on its own

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 3, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So what are some good VN's that couldn't be mentioned in the games forum? I know Kara No Shoujo 1 and 2 (mystery VNs) are really good, though they have ridiculous hentai scenes that seem out of place.

Sayo No Uta as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Muv Luv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just got to one of the Big Twists in Raging Loop. It was mostly a very good and well hinted-at twist (I started predicting it after the first parts of the Darkness route), but there's only one thing I'm a bit confused about (part immediately after Darkness route spoiler) after going through over 100 loops, wouldn't Chiemi have noticed the weird changes when you started looping? Haruaki never should have entered the village "legitimately" and participated in the feast until he started looping, since he only did that because of his memories. It's also a bit funny that after so many loops she still played the game seriously.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Muv Luv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I woke up after my usual vacation bender with a copy of DRAMAtical Murder installed and ready to go... so I guess I'm give that a try, despite not knowing anything about it except its BL and the art looks cool.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Archer666 posted:

I woke up after my usual vacation bender with a copy of DRAMAtical Murder installed and ready to go... so I guess I'm give that a try, despite not knowing anything about it except its BL and the art looks cool.

I might be wrong, but I think that's the one where a person fucks their dog. Don't get angry at me if I got the details wrong, all I know about it is people talking about it in an IRC channel.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm playing Baldr Sky at the moment (just finished Dive1) and while I have not been exactly bowled over the Reminiscence section that has opened up has nearly killed my drive to go on. I'm not going to quit or anything (not when Dive2 is supposed to be one of the best VNs ever) but man this was a splash of cold water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I might be wrong, but I think that's the one where a person fucks their dog. Don't get angry at me if I got the details wrong, all I know about it is people talking about it in an IRC channel.

Well then.... If it is, then this is gonna be a real weird read.