Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also, I'm sure someone might know what this manga I read a while back but it was basically a kinda BL manga where it was an all boys school but a bunch of students crossdressed because of one reason or another? I started reading it a long time ago but didn't get far and forgot the name and was interested in checking it out again to see if it was good, and it does seem relevant considering the earlier talk about otome danshi.

Sounds like Princess Princess, tho its not really BL but more heavily implied. Its more of a comedy manga, tho the anime does have a pretty BL ending sequence. Then again its been ages since I read it (was my first non-shonen thing so I could have forgotten some things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Post the drat hotdog page so i dont have to find it

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also, I'm sure someone might know what this manga I read a while back but it was basically a kinda BL manga where it was an all boys school but a bunch of students crossdressed because of one reason or another? I started reading it a long time ago but didn't get far and forgot the name and was interested in checking it out again to see if it was good, and it does seem relevant considering the earlier talk about otome danshi.

Archer666 posted:

Sounds like Princess Princess, tho its not really BL but more heavily implied. Its more of a comedy manga, tho the anime does have a pretty BL ending sequence. Then again its been ages since I read it (was my first non-shonen thing so I could have forgotten some things.

I thought it sounded like Princess Princess too, I never got round to reading it, but I did read the Day of Revolution by the same author. In Day one of the main characters is in Princess too, but he becomes the boyfriend of the protagonist of Day whose intersex and transitioned as a girl*. I read it years ago like 06, but aside from the premise Day was an okay light humour manga that poked fun at gender norms and :biotruths:

*According to an omake page the author didn't know intersex people were real and thought she'd made up a wacky premise to make her shoujo comedy series stand out. Until she received thank you letters from intersex fans which caused her to make an apology declaration in case she caused offence unwittingly.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Rody One Half posted:

I see your unfamiliar with the Dis Library of Congress collection

is there a Dis Suspended Congress collection

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
that description got me interested but man day of revolution sure is about a girl being stalked by the four horsement of comphet

well that's every (shoujo) genderbender though

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
luv this look though

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I was born intersex myself, and as a result of this (or how I was raised), I personally don't see a lot of value in labels. Even male and female. Are they really important?
Evidently they are for a lot of people, but I often feel like I'm watching everyone play a weird game with made-up nonsense rules that they're weirdly invested in.

For reference I've been living as female since I was like 12 or 13 but the more I think about it the more it feels like an arbitrary thing that was somewhat pushed on me. Even at the time, seeing how differently people treated me when I hadn't actually changed at all was just really really weird.

Anime.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It's unfair to lay the issues of a subgenre at the feet of one example of it but god this genre frustrates me so much

e: the anecdote about the fans is really cool though and I'm glad you shared it bakanin

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 3, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
also i have a recommendation for aces cures planes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Seconding this one. All time classic poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've never read the prunus

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

DisDisDis posted:

It's unfair to lay the issues of a subgenre at the feet of one example of it but god this genre frustrates me so much

e: the anecdote about the fans is really cool though and I'm glad you shared it bakanin

:hfive:

And yeah, while I have soft spot for Day and stuff like it, stuff from that period 99-03 usually just flirted with non het stuff a bit and had a few jokes. I think its interesting that the manga that revolved around an intersex character and a transition was originally conceived as a "isn't life strange" gimmick. Though I'm pleased intersex readers at least found it comforting and the author responded positively.

Anyway, I breezed through Liberta, a web manga about a put upon office worker and her gothie vampire heroine who sweeps her off her feet, kills monsters and beats up harassing managers.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=159374

The only bad thing is that each instalment is only four pages long.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly think that is an upside. Like yeah, sometimes you wish you could get the full 16-18 page chapter treatment, but hell, sometimes the brevity works in the story's favor.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

I've never read the prunus

The gently caress???

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
after finishing prunus make sure to read the author's other work https://mangadex.org/title/20597/seifuku-no-vampiress-lord

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Baka-nin posted:

:hfive:

And yeah, while I have soft spot for Day and stuff like it, stuff from that period 99-03 usually just flirted with non het stuff a bit and had a few jokes. I think its interesting that the manga that revolved around an intersex character and a transition was originally conceived as a "isn't life strange" gimmick. Though I'm pleased intersex readers at least found it comforting and the author responded positively.

Anyway, I breezed through Liberta, a web manga about a put upon office worker and her gothie vampire heroine who sweeps her off her feet, kills monsters and beats up harassing managers.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=159374

The only bad thing is that each instalment is only four pages long.

oh this one! I think dis posted it some time back?

Also, dis, I know you are pathologically incapable of posting links with the page extracts, but could you go through the effort with the most recent one? Thank you!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hi, I'm bi and I love watching anime and smoking weed. Prunus was a pretty great read but honestly I don't read a ton of lgbtq stuff, I really should branch out. Is there much out there featuring decent gay characters that isn't necessarily focused on romance? I kinda prefer action or horror stories.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Watching Namu Amida Butsu Rendai Utena, basically Touken Ranbu except with cute shinto deities doing cute things, and realizing that in all ways except the physical I am a fujoshi.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Hi, I'm bi and I love watching anime and smoking weed. Prunus was a pretty great read but honestly I don't read a ton of lgbtq stuff, I really should branch out. Is there much out there featuring decent gay characters that isn't necessarily focused on romance? I kinda prefer action or horror stories.

Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko and Yuureitou by Tarou Nogizaka

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

tweet my meat posted:

Shinsekai Yori is a fairly horrific ride.

MHA has surprisingly good (if minor) trans representation, but I don't think any characters in that are confirmed gay.

Danganronpa 3.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even as someone who is very positive on SSY, i dunno how much i'd hold it up for the lgbt aspects, since it's pretty quickly washed away by conphet even if you do have a more generous read on the later parts of the series

all that to say ymmv but I'd temper expectations when it comes to how the show engages with lgbt rep. it's otherwise an excellently made dystopian thriller

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tweet my meat posted:

flip flappers and akanesasu shoujo are action shows with gay leads

planet with is a pretty decent action show with a really good arc centering around two gay side characters who get a lot of fun bits outside of it too

re:cutie honey is an older gainax ova that centers around the relationship between two women, but has an equal focus on fun action. don't watch any other cutie honey shows because most of the others are not very good, including the manga, which uh re shares virtually nothing in common with

e; oh i probably should've thought of manga

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tweet my meat posted:

murcielago :unsmigghh:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is that one of those gungirl animes or whatever they are called?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

dogsicle posted:

even as someone who is very positive on SSY, i dunno how much i'd hold it up for the lgbt aspects, since it's pretty quickly washed away by conphet even if you do have a more generous read on the later parts of the series

all that to say ymmv but I'd temper expectations when it comes to how the show engages with lgbt rep. it's otherwise an excellently made dystopian thriller

I can't disagree too much, but I do feel Satoru's love of Shun in particular is very real and a major part of his character moving forward, even though he ultimately ends up with Saki. That character's relationships read to me as strong bi representation, which I really appreciate.

also heads up if anyone does try it out, I think the manga leans way more into ecchi poo poo than the anime. I haven't read it so I can't really speak for or against it, though.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

i know it's got it's problems but I just got caught up on Watamote and I've been really enjoying it. Because of how the series started and how the anime was, I was pleasantly surprised by how gay it is. I think it's neat how the series evolved from being a prototypical cringe comedy series to an actual reflection on pursuing friendships when being an anti-social outcast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

akanesasu shoujo is more of a comedy-mystery with occasional, not very impressive action but its cool

flipflappers has a very explicit romance between the two leads and deals with the idea a fair bit and while i wouldnt say action is a focus, its got some

tiger and bunny is a buddy superhero comedy that isnt *explicit* about the two male leads being a thing sadly but there's a ton of emphasis placed on their relationship, you can read it that way, there's nothing that ever contradicts it, and the creators have said that's a totally valid read that they fully support. up to you if it counts or not, i know some people are really into it so I figured I'd mention it, especially since it's one of the more like, straightforward action/mystery type shows I can think of that also have that as a element. It's also got a nonbinary side character who's handled... okaaay? it's clear the show doesn't quite know what they actually mean them to be (there's points where they come across as a gay dude, a transwoman, or a nonbinary person) and they don't get a ton of plot focus but they're treated pretty decently, no recurring gay panic jokes or anything. not gonna win any awards but it's not bad and I could see people getting something out of it despite the flaws. ive heard the writing with that character improves in the sequel movie but i haven't watched it.

nabari no ou is an action shonen manga with a major nonbinary character, though the anime adaptation is pretty bad and unfinished so I'd only rec it if you're up for reading the manga.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Seshoho Cian posted:

i know it's got it's problems but I just got caught up on Watamote and I've been really enjoying it. Because of how the series started and how the anime was, I was pleasantly surprised by how gay it is. I think it's neat how the series evolved from being a prototypical cringe comedy series to an actual reflection on pursuing friendships when being an anti-social outcast.

fuka is good

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
i want to catch up on watamote because i'm interested in getting to the parts where she actually makes friends, but every time i try i see there's like 9999999999 chapters remaining until then and i give up

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've never read Prunus but Vampiress Lord rules and I miss its insane lesbian power

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I can't disagree too much, but I do feel Satoru's love of Shun in particular is very real and a major part of his character moving forward, even though he ultimately ends up with Saki. That character's relationships read to me as strong bi representation, which I really appreciate.

also heads up if anyone does try it out, I think the manga leans way more into ecchi poo poo than the anime. I haven't read it so I can't really speak for or against it, though.

this is pretty much my read, i always found it funny how they end up together, united by their feelings for the same guy. i just know people who didn't like how it all was handled so i generally just recommend it on its other merits because seeing expectations with the lgbt rep can backfire. in my vague memories it kinda feels like saki/maria was the more washed out of the two gay pairs but i'd need to rewatch to be sure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

is that one of those gungirl animes or whatever they are called?
Do you mean the "Girls with Guns" trilogy of anime (afaik they don't share a setting but they do share some similarities and even some staff, including writers, director, producers and even music composer in Yuki Kajiura)? Which are Noir, Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja. Because yeah, there is plenty of subtext and plain-old text about wlw in all three.

If you mean guns anthropomorphized as girls, that's Girls' Frontline, which has a thread in the Mobile Gaming Sub-Forum but you can also inquire about here since a lot of ADTRW regulars play mobile games.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 4, 2020

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I found the manga I was thinking about earlier, turns out it's called Reversible. I'm still working my way through Prunus and Otome Danshi so I won't start on it right now but I knew I didn't imagine it.

Also I know it's not a manga but does anyone read Mage & Demon Queen? I am a big fan of the princess that just got introduced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

esselfortium posted:

i want to catch up on watamote because i'm interested in getting to the parts where she actually makes friends, but every time i try i see there's like 9999999999 chapters remaining until then and i give up
you can just skip to it frankly. most of the stuff before it is just the same material on loop, it's pretty obvious why the author made that shift even from a purely artistic/marketing perspective.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Do you mean the "Girls with Guns" trilogy of anime (afaik they don't share a setting but they do share some similarities and even some staff, including writers, director, producers and even music composer in Yuki Kajiura)? Which are Noir, Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja. Because yeah, there is plenty of subtext and plain-old text about wlw in all three.

If you mean guns anthropomorphized as girls, that's Girls' Frontline, which has a thread in the Mobile Gaming Sub-Forum but you can also inquire about here since a lot of ADTRW regulars play mobile games.

Yeah, it was the girls with guns thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imo if you do skip in watamote do start a bit earlier than what people typically recommend, people always say the school trip but i think the series shifted into more character base stuff even before that which is worth reading

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I have read it, and I can confidently say that you shouldn't bother with it. It manages to do literally everything wrong that the anime does right, which is kind of amazing in its own way, but the lesbian relationships in particular are pretty badly fetishized (something that the anime noticeably avoids, at least by my estimate).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also I know it's not a manga but does anyone read Mage & Demon Queen? I am a big fan of the princess that just got introduced.

It's good and she's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Thuryl posted:

It's good and she's good