Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

less than three posted:

Hooray, a massive IT re-org. The excellent team I've been on for 7 years has been cut, diced and thrown into other random teams. :smith:

Our 5 person department (was 7, but two left before things got rolling and their positions weren't filled, and one was fired after a mistake and was barely replaced by a part time contractor I never even saw) got a re-org that involved everyone's job being eliminated and re-created. We had to apply for our own jobs, my boss's job was rolled into another manager job she wasn't qualified for, and I expressed doubt about the plan to remove the building techs from building-resident to central-dispatched.
I didn't get my own job back. The two near-retirement techs were the only ones to come through the reorg with their jobs.

I understand the state of technology there is...not good these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pyroclastic posted:

Our 5 person department (was 7, but two left before things got rolling and their positions weren't filled, and one was fired after a mistake and was barely replaced by a part time contractor I never even saw) got a re-org that involved everyone's job being eliminated and re-created. We had to apply for our own jobs, my boss's job was rolled into another manager job she wasn't qualified for, and I expressed doubt about the plan to remove the building techs from building-resident to central-dispatched.
I didn't get my own job back. The two near-retirement techs were the only ones to come through the reorg with their jobs.

I understand the state of technology there is...not good these days.

Yeah they put a stop on job postings and "got a re-org that involved everyone's job being eliminated and re-created." is exactly what this feels like. We don't have to apply for anything but it's a huge shakeup. Even managers are moved to lead stuff they've never done. It's like they took the org chart and put in a blender.

Like, now L1 L2 and L3 techs were split in three and combined now we have 3 departments of L1/L2/L3 instead of a manager(s) looking over solely L1, L2, L3.

less than three fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 31, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There's an alleged re-org that no one is supposed to talk about, but it sounds like an attempt at unfucking the previous re-org.

I'm trying not to get too optimistic so I don't get too disappointed when things inevitably go weirdly, but also this is the best loving news possible in this new fiscal year :unsmith:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
It must be the time of year for reorgs or something, we have one that'll be announced by late feb.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

We had a reorg at the start of the year and it's...actually going well? Old boss stepped down from a supervisory position and moved laterally to the Sharepoint/ticketing system team. Old boss^2 is now the boss^2 of the programmers, web devs, and sharepoint teams.

New service desk boss is actually...communicative and makes simple yes/no decisions without a week-plus of chasing down for it. New boss^2 much the same.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I am a voice/network guy who is now dropped into the server admin/VMware team and I get paid more than most of them. I haven't done much outside toying with VMware Workstation. It feels so weird.

e: Yes the handed out new org chart included your salary level next to your name

less than three fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 31, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

less than three posted:

I am a voice/network guy who is now dropped into the server admin/VMware team and I get paid more than most of them. I haven't done much outside toying with VMware Workstation. It feels so weird.

e: Yes the handed out new org chart included your salary level next to your name

Haha, that's fun.

My favorite reorg moment was at a university where we had printed phone lists handed to every employee. So they printed and handed all of them out...

...and I was listed under [Correct First Name] [Last Name, but Pluralized]

Emailed the phone list owner and asked for it to be changed. A week later, we had a whole new stack of printouts to take back to our desks.

My name was now [Incorrectly Spelled First Name] [Singular Last Name]

Sigh. Email the owner again, thank them for their time, and explain that they have to re-do the loving list again and maybe, I dunno, just copy and paste from my email sig? It's not that loving hard? Kthx?

Week 3, they finally got the phone list right.

I love working in an allegedly paperless company now.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Re-orgs are almost always the result of some manager looking for a promotion, and betting that they can save costs in the short term and get out of their current role before the real fires start. "Spearheaded ambitious reorganization to streamline the command structure and cut labor costs by over 10%" looks great on a resume, especially if you're shooting for a C-level position, and they feel under no particular pressure to finish the sentence with "despite projected saving of more than double that, and causing inefficiencies and organizational knowledge defecits that tanked customer satisfaction, dramatically increased hiring and training costs over the following 2 years, and ultimately cost the company 4x what I initially predicted it would save."

Why yes, I've been through some re-orgs, why do you ask?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sometimes they're used to bury the bodies from the previous re-org.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
We're already in the reality of, "If we automate [thing], we can fire this entire base of contractors and save like SOOO much money!"

Said contractors are reaching out to me all the time asking for help getting hired on as FTE.

:smith:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah this is a new CIO making his mark on the place.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

less than three posted:

Yeah this is a new CIO making his mark on the place.

"Why is this poo poo happening?"
"So and so got promoted, and this his his attempt to make an impact right away."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"Why is this poo poo happening?"
"So and so got promoted, and this his his attempt to make an impact right away."

He's external and is surprised we don't work the same as his last place, so change it.

He has good ideas to improve, but this re-org doesn't seem like one of them.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 31, 2020

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Haha, that's fun.

My favorite reorg moment was at a university where we had printed phone lists handed to every employee. So they printed and handed all of them out...

...and I was listed under [Correct First Name] [Last Name, but Pluralized]

Emailed the phone list owner and asked for it to be changed. A week later, we had a whole new stack of printouts to take back to our desks.

My name was now [Incorrectly Spelled First Name] [Singular Last Name]

Sigh. Email the owner again, thank them for their time, and explain that they have to re-do the loving list again and maybe, I dunno, just copy and paste from my email sig? It's not that loving hard? Kthx?

Week 3, they finally got the phone list right.

I love working in an allegedly paperless company now.

My company put out a list last year and posted it

My phone number was wrong and I 'forgot' to let them know.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

tactlessbastard posted:

My company put out a list last year and posted it

My phone number was wrong and I 'forgot' to let them know.

Ah, what a shame.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I was told this week by a recent hire in HR that we in IT needed to make a printable copy of our org chart, rather than using the online copy that’s tied into our ERP system.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

duffmensch posted:

I was told this week by a recent hire in HR that we in IT needed to make a printable copy of our org chart, rather than using the online copy that’s tied into our ERP system.

I hope you provided them with a screenshot of a QR code in minecraft as a result.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

duffmensch posted:

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

DelphiAegis posted:

I hope you provided them with a screenshot of a QR code in minecraft as a result.

I need to find someone who can crochet that for me first.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Plastik posted:

Re-orgs are almost always the result of some manager looking for a promotion, and betting that they can save costs in the short term and get out of their current role before the real fires start. "Spearheaded ambitious reorganization to streamline the command structure and cut labor costs by over 10%" looks great on a resume, especially if you're shooting for a C-level position, and they feel under no particular pressure to finish the sentence with "despite projected saving of more than double that, and causing inefficiencies and organizational knowledge defecits that tanked customer satisfaction, dramatically increased hiring and training costs over the following 2 years, and ultimately cost the company 4x what I initially predicted it would save."

Why yes, I've been through some re-orgs, why do you ask?

I was taught to always expect exactly one re-org from incoming executive leadership. Everyone gets one, so they can have their company/department/team/whatever running the way they think it should. But a second re-org is tantamount to admitting you made a mistake the first time, so people don't do it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

less than three posted:

Assuming you don't hate the idea of Server Admin/VMware, it's really not a bad place to be; extra skills are good. Also, that's hella good that the new org chart includes salary levels.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Thanatosian posted:

Assuming you don't hate the idea of Server Admin/VMware, it's really not a bad place to be; extra skills are good. Also, that's hella good that the new org chart includes salary levels.

Yeah I'm open to it and agreed about the salaries being public. For example one of the server guys makes 20k less than the others, so I hope he can get that sorted out.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I've managed to figure out most of the salary levels for positions that would be / are / have been relevant to me. My current position's salary band is 60k. (~65k - ~125k)

Seems crazy wide at that low of a level to me, but I don't know what'd be considered normal.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PBS posted:

I've managed to figure out most of the salary levels for positions that would be / are / have been relevant to me. My current position's salary band is 60k. (~65k - ~125k)

Seems crazy wide at that low of a level to me, but I don't know what'd be considered normal.

A lot of that is tied to regional differences, too.

But sometimes things are just stupid. Like the place that pinged me for what I do, in NYC, not remote, no relocation assistance, and paid $88k. I couldn't even respond to it because I felt "lolfuckno" would have been seen as unprofessional.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

But sometimes things are just stupid. Like the place that pinged me for what I do, in NYC, not remote, no relocation assistance, and paid $88k. I couldn't even respond to it because I felt "lolfuckno" would have been seen as unprofessional.

Oddly enough my company seems to pay essentially the same no matter where you are domestically.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

PBS posted:

Oddly enough my company seems to pay essentially the same no matter where you are domestically.

That's hosed up. If people in low COL areas are making the same as those i'm higher areas, then the high COL people are getting shafted.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's hosed up. If people in low COL areas are making the same as those i'm higher areas, then the high COL people are getting shafted.

Well it's balanced with the utter despair of living in flyover states.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nope, you gotta tell these people to gently caress off. THEY are being unprofessional with those kind of offers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

Well it's balanced with the utter despair of living in flyover states.

If you want to pay me bay area senior engineer rates while allowing me work remotely from anywhere, I'd definitely live in a lower CoL area, preferably with decent climate :sun:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Only if you believe that salary should be decoupled from output.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think salary should be coupled to what it takes to pay for the necessities of survival, but that's just me.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
You do realize that you are arguing that employers should keep all the money an employee generates except for what is needed to keep the employee alive, right? :v:

---e:---

Less flippantly, I argue that in our field, the employer does not reap different revenue from a guy in SV versus a guy in shithole in the middle of nowhere, and thus they should not be paid differently, because the employer shouldn't be able to go "Well, you need X to survive, I will pay you 2X and pocket the rest", but rather should pass on to the employee most of what they generate for the business.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 3, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean yeah, ideally measure of linen, coat, etc, but the way I see it if wages were standardized between SV and Kansas City people would be getting paid Kansas City money because that's more for the shareholders.

Wages varying so much by area is just really weird. I do my job 20 minutes away from where I live. If I was doing it 20 minutes in the opposite direction I would probably be getting paid 2/3 of what I currently am.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Live in SV, get your 200k a year tech job. Move to Alabama and keep your 200k a year salary. What are they going to do, tell you that your salary is being reduced?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Methanar posted:

Live in SV, get your 200k a year tech job. Move to Alabama and keep your 200k a year salary. What are they going to do, tell you that your salary is being reduced?

Some companies would absolutely try that horseshit.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
And some posters ITT would support them apparently :shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, they're arguing that if an employer wants to employ people in SV then they should pay rates for that job that allow people to live in SV.

In response to your more serious argument - I, personally, don't care about how much money I make my employer in comparison to someone else. I make a lot more money for them than I am paid, that is the foundation of business, and extracting as much of a share of that money from them as I can is the foundation of the labour market that employers love to crow about. If they want to say that having a local labour resource adds no additional value over a remote one and therefore I should accept the pay level of someone whose food and rent is a third of mine then fine, pay me the severance and move the job over there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Friend landed SV job at 23. Moved out there with BF. Even with both of them working (BF not in tech job), they could barely make rent.

Came home for a "2 month remote trial". Called his manager after 3 weeks and said "I'm stay here. Figure it out".

Now making SV money (minus a small cut as part of his deal) living in Roseville, MI.

That's honestly what I'm trying to land, myself. Full-time (or at least 90% remote) based in a high COL area, living in my much lower COL area.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

quote:

Do you know what this server is doing? Infosex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Friend landed SV job at 23. Moved out there with BF. Even with both of them working (BF not in tech job), they could barely make rent.

Came home for a "2 month remote trial". Called his manager after 3 weeks and said "I'm stay here. Figure it out".

Now making SV money (minus a small cut as part of his deal) living in Roseville, MI.

That's honestly what I'm trying to land, myself. Full-time (or at least 90% remote) based in a high COL area, living in my much lower COL area.

Sorry about your friend living on the east side.