Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Palpatine, much like herpes, will always return.

And Palpatine has herpes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

Hey thread what do we like more:

The fact that Palpatine's return was revealed in the opening crawl and they didn't even bother with any real build up or exposition;

Or

The fact that the 1991 Tom Veitch comic book series Dark Empire did the whole reborn emperor thing so much better?

the dead speak!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

cuntman.net posted:

the dead speak!

Alex Guinness: "this movie isn't very good."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

The fact that Palpatine's return was revealed in the opening crawl and they didn't even bother with any real build up or exposition;

Or

The fact that the 1991 Tom Veitch comic book series Dark Empire did the whole reborn emperor thing so much better?

Actually Palpatine's return was revealed in 1) the trIler for the movie and 2) Fortnite. The movie expects you to have witnessed either one of those two things, the first of which is already cropped from within the movie itself.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

Actually Palpatine's return was revealed in 1) the trIler for the movie and 2) Fortnite. The movie expects you to have witnessed either one of those two things, the first of which is already cropped from within the movie itself.

Both are significantly worse than doing a proper dramatic reveal within the movie itself, you know like the whole Vader being Luke's father thing, Vader turning on palps, all the other twists that made the other movies interesting and that this one utterly lacked. Even kylo turning his back on the FO was obvious as gently caress and delivered with no dramatic poise or let's be honest, storytelling skill at all.

Man the more I think about this movie, the more it pisses me off how easily they could have knocked it out of the park.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's really hard to come up with a better 2019 punchline than the finale to the sequel trilogy requiring you to have played Fortnite to understand the plot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really hard to come up with a better 2019 punchline than the finale to the sequel trilogy requiring you to have played Fortnite to understand the plot.

Disney at the start of 2019: we're gonna make Fortnite be a plot point in our franchise ending blockbuster movie.

Disney at the end of 2019: we're gonna make a plot point to our franchise ending blockbuster movie be in Fortnite.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Or

the latter. the cam kennedy art is amazing. those weird, evocative colors :syoon:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Disney at the start of 2019: we're gonna make Fortnite be a plot point in our franchise ending blockbuster movie.

Disney at the end of 2019: we're gonna make a plot point to our franchise ending blockbuster movie be in Fortnite.

It was more a punchline than a plot point in Endgame at least

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The movie's already overstuffed so sure, have the opening crawl say Palpatine is back. If you're gonna bring Palpatine back then just say he's back and pick it up from there, whatever

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's probably not a sign of it being a great movie that my reaction to Palpatine being in the opening crawl is "that's fine, at least it means there's a little less movie"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want to believe that Palpatine just broadcasted his message over voice chat in a random game of Fortnite.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Star Wars Episode 16, Palpatine returns in an exclusive Twitch broadcast. The chat goes CRAZY!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Star Wars Episode 16, Palpatine returns in an exclusive Twitch broadcast. The chat goes CRAZY!

Sheeve: "And don't forget to smash that like button and subscribe. Next week i'm doing a crazy giveaway, i've got a Victory Class Star Destroyer from Kuat Drive Yards"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sheev: “Do it.”

Chat: Pogchamp Pogchamp Pogchamp

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

some consider to be... unnatural...

monkaS monkaS monkaS monkaS

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"hey guuuys, sorry it's been so long since my last video." - palpatine, 'the rise of skywalker' 2019

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

StashAugustine posted:

i dont think the rebels could spare 256 agents though

Looks like you should be able to understand the binary language of moister vaporators. You wouldn't happen to speak Bocce, would you?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress. THAT'S how he was able to afford a massive fleet of planet killer star destroyers.

Patreon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

cuntman.net posted:

the dead speak!

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent this story less lovely" - Quigon Jinn

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
how do you esports fortnite anyway aren't there 100 players in every match that seems difficult to tournament-ize

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Simple, the matches are done on a private server, the only people playing on it are the ones competing in the tournament.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
it is difficult to tournament ize but its really popular and 50 million 13 year olds don't care about competitive viability so neither does epic gamez

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FuturePastNow posted:

Palpatine doesn't make plans

the true power of the dark side is improv

Thank you thank you all. I'm Grand Palps. Tip your waitress and try the veal.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's the force lightning he isn't shooting

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If JJ had any balls

Ha, this is the guy who looked at the fact that Anakin's lightsaber is destroyed at the end of TLJ, and just has her fix it offscreen with what amounts to a band-aid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

Ha, this is the guy who looked at the fact that Anakin's lightsaber is destroyed at the end of TLJ, and just has her fix it offscreen with what amounts to a band-aid.

I had to stifle a laugh when I saw the closeup of the literal space duct tape that was holding it together. That was the exact moment I knew the movie was going to be 90 minutes of erasing The Last Jedi at the expense of actually telling its own story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I had to stifle a laugh when I saw the closeup of the literal space duct tape that was holding it together. That was the exact moment I knew the movie was going to be 90 minutes of erasing The Last Jedi at the expense of actually telling its own story.

I'm reminded of Heroes and how it was described as 'at war with its own continuity' at the expense of basically anything else

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

nine-gear crow posted:

I cannot tell you the anger and disappointment I felt when I saw the first teaser of ROS and saw the old lightsaber back. TLJ gave an easy setup for Rey to forge her own saber and part of her own identity and JJ said 'gently caress that.'

Edit: Admittedly I'm a bit of a lightaber enthusiast, and so I was excited to see what her design would be.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I haven’t seen RoS, does it explain how Anakin’s lightsaber got from a bottomless pit in cloud city to the basement of some CGI minion lady’s cantina in the first place?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
No

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nerds would eat it up and they already have the tooling for the replicas. (RoS explains nothing.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

I haven’t seen RoS, does it explain how Anakin’s lightsaber got from a bottomless pit in cloud city to the basement of some CGI minion lady’s cantina in the first place?

Man people complain about continuity but when JJ CLEARLY establishes in TFA that this lightsaber is completely impossible to destroy, even in the heart of a gas giant, they still don't get it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thermos H Christ posted:

Or how it got fixed when she didn't end up with both halves? No.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Thermos H Christ posted:

In TROS the second Death Star apparently reconstituted itself mostly intact, so

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Or how it got fixed when she didn't end up with both halves? No.

She did end up with both halves

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
TFA had concept art for a scrapped dream sequence of the Death Star II rising anew from the sands of Jakku to terrorize the Galaxy once more, and I think about that a lot in light of where Abrams went with TROS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zoran posted:

In TROS the second Death Star apparently reconstituted itself mostly intact, so
I sent you out here to follow up on a zoning complaint, and you're telling me that you found a Laser Moon that's rebuilding itself?