Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

He’s not a psychopath, he’s a misanthrope. And not some George Carlin-esque “I know people could be so much better and I’m angry that they’re not” secret-softie; but a genuine, bone-deep absolutely-no-faith-in-humanity misanthrope. It’s not a pleasant perspective, but it’s what makes him one of the few true auteurs working today.

It’s not cynical, it’s misanthropic. Pain and Gain was Bay making a genuine statement about the world. It’s just that what he has to say is that the world and everyone in it is damned. He’s saying that we are stupid, doomed animals. And you can hate his message, but I have no doubt that he’s 100% genuine.

Piss off back to CD with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
such loving and welcoming people in this thread

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

If "Michael Bay made Pain & Gain because filming Transformers proved to him that all humans are garbage" is too deep a level of analysis for you...

My God. It's full of stupid.

All these posts are yours save GBS.

Attempt no posting there.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQOy65NvA8

Bay wanted to make this before the Transformers movies

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

luchajones posted:

The reason CD sucks is the dummies aren't bullied into submission.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

luchajones posted:

The performative cined poo poo isn't funny and I don't want it to spread to this thread too friend

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CJacobs posted:

It lends credence to the theory that Michael Bay is a misanthrope,

that's a fancy way of spelling "moron"

Burns
May 10, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Nothing tops the Raid movies.

You should check out The Night Comes For Us.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Moola posted:

The performative cined poo poo isn't funny and I don't want it to spread to this thread too friend

I’ve never posted in CD and never plan to. But can you really look at Michael Bay’s movies and say that he doesn’t hate his audience and humanity as a whole?

Like, a lot of Michael Bay movies are poo poo. And he certainly gets cynical with cash-grabs like Transformers, but when he made Pain & Gain he was obviously trying to say something. It was something ugly and hateful, but he clearly meant it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*prancing around the thread in a jester's costume*

Heehee haha what if Michael Bay is actually an auteur haha hoho!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LanceHunter posted:

I’ve never posted in CD and never plan to. But can you really look at Michael Bay’s movies and say that he doesn’t hate his audience and humanity as a whole?

Like, a lot of Michael Bay movies are poo poo. And he certainly gets cynical with cash-grabs like Transformers, but when he made Pain & Gain he was obviously trying to say something. It was something ugly and hateful, but he clearly meant it.

Pain & Gain isn't even written by Bay. Unless you can find a consistent theme across 4-5 of his movies this theory is a stupid meme.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

LabyaMynora posted:

I got really busy at work and ended up 2000 posts behind in this thread. Finally caught up, 'cuz 1000 of those posts were stupid Star Trek bullshit.

gently caress you guys, sometimes.

What do you want to talk about Star War? Because George Lucas apparently wants back in to oversee Star War and his stipulation is "full creative control" and apparently Disney is thinking about it?

The star war is so bad that George Lucas has to save it

lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure there is a SW subforum now so please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

The reason CD sucks is the dummies aren't bullied into submission.

imagining the idyllic state of the forums if SuperMechaGodzilla and the 'Current Releases' writers had never been encouraged

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cutedge posted:

What do you want to talk about Star War? Because George Lucas apparently wants back in to oversee Star War and his stipulation is "full creative control" and apparently Disney is thinking about it?

The star war is so bad that George Lucas has to save it

lol

Praying to god for the Whills

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CJacobs posted:

Remember how the guy that replaces Sam (when Shia Labeouf decided not to return to the franchise) carries around a card in his wallet that explains that actually, it's ephebophilia and it's ok that his girlfriend is underage and he presents this card to Mark Wahlberg, the girl's father

what

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9OgW4JAJ8

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

She is 17...which a google search says is legal in Texas anyway?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Burns posted:

You should check out The Night Comes For Us.

That movie is great! I love how the plot is two minutes at the start, and then action for the rest of the film. Good times.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

pain&gain is pretty good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

:chloe: why

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5honL84_Y

Picard doesn't get science fiction, except when he does.

Basically Star Trek Picard stars Patrick Stewart as Patrick Stewart.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The ship will be called the USS Picard which is why the show is named why it is, and Patrick Stewart’s entire role will be sitting in his house talking about how Star Trek sucks

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Michael Bay is a high-volume garbage cannon violently blasting crap into the media atmosphere

like the thing I don't get is why the Transformers movies are so loving long- they're all over 2.5 hours

are they afraid people won't feel like they got their money's worth or something if they were a tight 90?

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

for non-comedies, 90 is usually too short

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

luchajones posted:

for non-comedies, 90 is usually too short

I mean but what if and just entertain my thought here the movie in question was a dumbass action popcorn grinder

hell Commando is 90 minutes and that movie manages to own

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its sort of amazing how no one has managed to druge up a remake of Commando. This is a good thing.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I think after the failures of the remake of Total Recall, the failed remake of Conan, and the failed continuation of the Predator franchise, they've given up on remaking Schwarzenegger movies.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

but Terminator won't die

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember coming out of seeing The Rock in the theatre and everyone I knew loved it and I thought it was headache inducing trash. I kept quiet on my opinion because I thought I was being too pretentious. But then I saw Armageddon and was like yeah nope no more of these and I haven’t watched a Bay movie since.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

I remember coming out of seeing The Rock in the theatre and everyone I knew loved it and I thought it was headache inducing trash. I kept quiet on my opinion because I thought I was being too pretentious. But then I saw Armageddon and was like yeah nope no more of these and I haven’t watched a Bay movie since.

Smart man. I should have stopped at Armageddon too.

I remember I watched Transformer 2 myself and my wife was upset I didn't watch the movie with her (long story). So I watched Transformer 3 with her. My brain couldn't handle the consistent pounding of loud noise and fell asleep. All I remember was some extreme sport army men flying down to the Transformers in some stupid wingsuits.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

luchajones posted:

but Terminator won't die

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 3, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Island is the best Michael Bay movie.

A lot of that is because he completely ripped it off from a 1970s B movie. Dreamworks had to pay "an undisclosed seven-figure sum" to the creators of "Parts: The Clonus Horror"

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Nobody would make the Expendables 4: Expendables go to hell. So he made it a comic instead.

Make a Commando comic.

John Matrix Commando comic. Not the Commando Commando comics from when I was a wee lad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One of the things I found most insufferable about the Bay movies I’ve seen is the music constantly playing over everything. It’s loving grating after a bit.

Until just looking up Bay’s filmography just now to make sure I haven’t seen any other ones I realized I had assumed that Con Air was also by Bay, it seems extremely similar. Perhaps I was confused by Nick Cage and the atrocious soundtrack. I hated it as well.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Con Air is great!

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

priznat posted:

One of the things I found most insufferable about the Bay movies I’ve seen is the music constantly playing over everything. It’s loving grating after a bit.

Until just looking up Bay’s filmography just now to make sure I haven’t seen any other ones I realized I had assumed that Con Air was also by Bay, it seems extremely similar. Perhaps I was confused by Nick Cage and the atrocious soundtrack. I hated it as well.

Looks like the guy who directed Con Air also directed the Rick Astley: Never Gonna Give You Up music video.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

luchajones posted:

Con Air is great!

I'm pro air myself.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Make a sequel to Commando, The Matrix, and John Wick all in one called John Matrix Wick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

luchajones posted:

Looks like the guy who directed Con Air also directed the Rick Astley: Never Gonna Give You Up music video.

Michael Bay directed the Divinyls’s “I touch myself” video so I guess he isn’t all bad.