Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
saw some movies this weekend, the vvitch which was extremely good, parasite which was extremely good, and the death of dick long which was very funny until it was extremely not - some real hard swings in that movie, weird poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Peanut President posted:

the one thing i learned from avengers is it's okay to destroy a city and kill numerous civilians as long as the good guys win

which avengers is this? i thought they spent a lot of screen time showing people being evacuated, idk if i am remembering the wrong movie tho

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Some Guy TT posted:

so i just watched an episode of curb your enthusiasm having not done so for a fairly long time and uh one plot is larry bitching about having to pay out for a sexual harassment lawsuit and offending the charity hes supposed to be donating to by not kissing the emcee another one ends with a brown skinned dude stealing larrys credit card and him and his buddies dunk larry and friends in trash cans for accidental racist lisping and also ted danson is starring in a major feature film about how great robert e lee was

at what point did this show become the cringe i had always assumed it was mocking

The last season was insanely bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

which avengers is this? i thought they spent a lot of screen time showing people being evacuated, idk if i am remembering the wrong movie tho

This was Age of Ultron.

Yes, they did spend a lot of time trying to save people, but unless I'm mistaken it just goes unsaid that the evacuation rate was not 100% despite their best efforts, and that whole city of Wachovia or whatever was still physically destroyed.

Which then gets us to Civil War where the psi-lady accidentally blows up a bunch of people in Nigeria and it's the last straw before the UN decides that maybe superheroes should be subject to some level of accountability.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bodyholes posted:

The biggest problem I have with the show is that it considers the supernova from trekformers canon. I would rather pretend none of that existed. You could still have a refugee situation with the Cardassians... their homeworld got hosed up too... I feel like there's way too much pretending DS9 never happened and way too much pretending JJTrek DID happen going on here.

There is a nugget of something interesting in the show. Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek was always a bit 'bio-conservative'. Prejudice towards androids was not an unheard of thing in the Federation... it was clearly quite common since Data kept running into people who hated taking orders from him or being outclassed in some mundane task by him. The Federation also had strict limitations on genetic engineering and cybernetics due to the Augments and the Eugenics Wars. This is an area where the Federation isn't totally spotless that would be really interesting to see Star Trek fix. It just looks like they're going to bungle it, unfortunately.

Yeah it's too bad. Enterprise of all shows even made the connection between augments and androids in a two parter which could have explained the federation's ongoing hostility to synthetic lifeforms, but it's just boring crap with Picard and I don't think it's gonna get better once the borg get rolled into it

I used to think that people saying that everyone involved in making trek hated ds9 outside the actual ds9 cast and crew was conspiratorial but it's getting harder and harder to think otherwise. The only thing they've taken from ds9 is section 31 lol

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Feb 3, 2020

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm currently watching ds9 for the first time and it loving owns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Serf posted:

i'm currently watching ds9 for the first time and it loving owns

It's amazing to watch for the first time because it starts out pretty decent trek and then just gets better and better through the entire run until the finale which unfortunately chooses to end with the show's worst plot instead of its best one.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the whole deep space nine creative arc with the prophets was great interesting concept that they didnt have very many good ideas for so they just kind of ignore them for awhile only to bring them up at really random moments where it would make sense for them to get involved

pretty impossible to make that kind of story today since everything is just an immediate commitment to multiseason arcs now deep space nine would have probably gone down as the worst star trek of all time if the people making it had felt compelled to make every other story a sisko prophet story just because it was the main thing in the original pitch

Serf
May 5, 2011

having just watched all of discovery and the new trek movies i've come to three conclusions

1) without a tv show to piggyback off of, star trek as a movie series just doesn't work
2) total serialization of star trek is a bad idea, as the best stuff about the show is the one-off stories where they explore a single concept or conflict and resolve it neatly
3) star trek doesn't work as a deconstruction, it should be aspirational and inspirational, not just another reflection of our grim reality

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's still very funny to me that Man of Steel made a big deal about how the fight between Supes and Zod killed a lot of civilians as they blasted through office buildings, and Batman vs Superman even plays it up as a sort of 9/11-ish situation... and then the movie goes out of its way to repeatedly tell the audience that all the succeeding fights happen in completely depopulated parts of the city

and then justice league spends half of its screentime with a random family cowering in a house just so familiar faces can get saved by the heroes at the end, which even further undercuts man of steels message that even Superman can't save the world by himself

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

having just watched all of discovery and the new trek movies i've come to three conclusions

1) without a tv show to piggyback off of, star trek as a movie series just doesn't work
2) total serialization of star trek is a bad idea, as the best stuff about the show is the one-off stories where they explore a single concept or conflict and resolve it neatly
3) star trek doesn't work as a deconstruction, it should be aspirational and inspirational, not just another reflection of our grim reality

DS9 will prove 3 wrong (though the Federation is still aspirational and inspirational, at least to a degree)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

You know what show was loving great though

stargate SG1

season 3 and 4 were when it really hit its stride and it actually did a shitload of episodes that were just straight up rip offs of star trek episodes done better

for example therer is this one where the sg1 crew gets abducted, brain wiped and forced to work menial jobs by aliens until they crack the code which is exactly the plot of one of the better voyager 2 partners

we'll dive more deeply into this before too long

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

and then justice league spends half of its screentime with a random family cowering in a house just so familiar faces can get saved by the heroes at the end, which even further undercuts man of steels message that even Superman can't save the world by himself

i watched justice league recently and was browsing through the cined thread the constant complaints there about superman not putting in enough effort to save civilians in man of steel was weird as hell considering that justice league went out of its way to address this extremely stupid complaint yet was somehow even worse according to the same people who thought that one aspect ruined man of steel

speaking of which heres my cspammy review for justice league trash like all superhero movies are trash but still a considerable improvement over any avengers movie simply by virtue of the fact that the characters possess distinct personalities relative to one another and have more complex reactions to horrific current events than witty quips

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/stat...nuel-miranda%2F

hopefully this means we'll be spared a proper film adaptation from happening anytime soon

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

hopefully this means we'll be spared a proper film adaptation from happening anytime soon

hope is a mistake

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
im hamilton

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

it's going to have the same relationship to the eventual film that the 1996 recording of Cats the stage musical does to Cats the movie, hth

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Some Guy TT posted:

the whole deep space nine creative arc with the prophets was great interesting concept that they didnt have very many good ideas for so they just kind of ignore them for awhile only to bring them up at really random moments where it would make sense for them to get involved

pretty impossible to make that kind of story today since everything is just an immediate commitment to multiseason arcs now deep space nine would have probably gone down as the worst star trek of all time if the people making it had felt compelled to make every other story a sisko prophet story just because it was the main thing in the original pitch

yeah bajor and bajoran religion/culture kinda falls off as the series gets into its rhythm and gets more serialized, and it makes the prophet side of the ending arc really weak- the dominion war works really well because that's what the series has been focusing on and building toward for the past four seasons, but the prophets are a thing that mostly got dropped after season 2

also yeah on the second part- one of the benefits of being serialized in a largely episodic show is that the pace can be a lot slower, and in fact has to be, but it doesn't feel slow because you're going through normal star trek adventures in the mean time

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

i watched justice league recently and was browsing through the cined thread the constant complaints there about superman not putting in enough effort to save civilians in man of steel was weird as hell considering that justice league went out of its way to address this extremely stupid complaint yet was somehow even worse according to the same people who thought that one aspect ruined man of steel

speaking of which heres my cspammy review for justice league trash like all superhero movies are trash but still a considerable improvement over any avengers movie simply by virtue of the fact that the characters possess distinct personalities relative to one another and have more complex reactions to horrific current events than witty quips

Honestly a lot of people are just unpleasable with Superman having an actual personality instead of just being Strong Daddy who comes to rescue them from everything

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly a lot of people are just unpleasable with Superman having an actual personality instead of just being Strong Daddy who comes to rescue them from everything

this just made me want a superman who talks and acts like donald trump

(NOT homelander, I mean with Trump's terrible mannerisms and poo poo not just a fascist)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i want an evil clark kent who works for rupert murdoch

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Some Guy TT posted:

i want an evil clark kent who works for rupert murdoch

so watch the boys

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Panzeh posted:

yeah bajor and bajoran religion/culture kinda falls off as the series gets into its rhythm and gets more serialized, and it makes the prophet side of the ending arc really weak- the dominion war works really well because that's what the series has been focusing on and building toward for the past four seasons, but the prophets are a thing that mostly got dropped after season 2

also yeah on the second part- one of the benefits of being serialized in a largely episodic show is that the pace can be a lot slower, and in fact has to be, but it doesn't feel slow because you're going through normal star trek adventures in the mean time

I generally agree although I think some of the best story bits on the show are when they're able to mesh the prophets and the dominion war together. The Prophets stuff is personal, and the Dominion War is political.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Percelus posted:

so watch the boys

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought it was more about not providing that audience with the fantasy of absolute power without consequences. they all cite the donnor movie as the ideal, the one where even if he screws up Superman can just go back in time and fix everything

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Giving a poo poo about Superman or facile messages of hope is some simp poo poo for adult babies, imho

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the weather was kind of poo poo the last couple weeks so I tried watching the hobbit movies for the first time

extended editions and all

complete loving garbage

it felt flimsy

it was like watching the santa clause vs the santa clause 3

you can see the dimensions of the sets, the limits of the cartoon characters and environments

lotr did a good job using cgi to embelish a shitload of craftsmanship and design work, the hobbit did not

there was one part of the barrel ride scene that looked like cellphone video a dad would take on the flume ride at 6 flags

just loving raw poo poo

also the story made no sense as an arching 3 film narrative

I was not hooked

could have been a really great 2.5 hour movie

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Over Easy posted:

You know what show was loving great though

stargate SG1

season 3 and 4 were when it really hit its stride and it actually did a shitload of episodes that were just straight up rip offs of star trek episodes done better

for example therer is this one where the sg1 crew gets abducted, brain wiped and forced to work menial jobs by aliens until they crack the code which is exactly the plot of one of the better voyager 2 partners

we'll dive more deeply into this before too long

SG1 was fantastic until MacGyver became a general and thus wasn't in the main crew anymore. Loved that show.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

the macgyver actor ruled in general imo

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Over Easy posted:

the weather was kind of poo poo the last couple weeks so I tried watching the hobbit movies for the first time

extended editions and all

complete loving garbage

it felt flimsy

it was like watching the santa clause vs the santa clause 3

you can see the dimensions of the sets, the limits of the cartoon characters and environments

lotr did a good job using cgi to embelish a shitload of craftsmanship and design work, the hobbit did not

there was one part of the barrel ride scene that looked like cellphone video a dad would take on the flume ride at 6 flags

just loving raw poo poo

also the story made no sense as an arching 3 film narrative

I was not hooked

could have been a really great 2.5 hour movie

lotr was also complete loving garbage

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Giving a poo poo about Superman or facile messages of hope is some simp poo poo for adult babies, imho

think about all the untapped creative potential of a circus strongman amde to entertain 6 year old boys in 1920

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

lotr was also complete loving garbage

theyve all aged real bad

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

extremely funny to see the harry potter movies viewed with such nostalgia now while the lotr ones have been all but memory holed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Even when I liked harry potter I thought the movies sucked

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I

the Lord of the Rings movies

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eimi posted:

SG1 was fantastic until MacGyver became a general and thus wasn't in the main crew anymore. Loved that show.

Yeah it was kinda unfortunate for the show when he left because ripped daniel shanks isn't really good enough to be the joke man of the squad.

I also like how he became a super commando over the seasons because shanks was tired of playing a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i just saw a promo for star trek picard the other night and noticed that it made the show look reasonably badass with an old guy planning to do cool poo poo

the thing that really struck me though was that they do i dont want the game to end thing with a close up of datas face and goddamn old brent spiner with data makeup looks freaky as hell it looked like data was the villain and the story was about how picard was dicking around on solving problems because then he couldnt have adventures anymore

the contrast of that trailer compared to what i actually know about picard is striking i suggested we watch it at a family gathering with kids recently and even though my brother and sister in law are much bigger nerds than me they dismissed the idea out of hand because they knew full well that picard was so wrapped up in previous continuity the kids wouldnt understand it

just sort of a bummer moment on my part because i remember getting into stuff like that because my parents were watching it and i wanted to do adult stuff with them like watch serious tv but now screen scarcity is gone and most of whats produced is about provoking nostalgia boners than trying to appeal to a wide audience so that kind of family wide entertainment is just gone now

well i guess we still have video games the coop version of super mario world was a big hit because everyone thought the glitches were incredibly funny luigi being borderline unplayable makes for a nice handicap