Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

The flame thrower guy they go after in the beginning, was that meant as an homage to Exterminator 2?

I always took it as a North Hollywood shootout reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alhazred posted:

Or you could watch the Last Boy Scout which is actually good.

Still relevant

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Turbinosamente posted:

At the risk of trap sprung, this was explained in the first movie. It's Riggs and his being ex-special forces in Vietnam (and probably his rampant PTSD too) and was done via title call out with Murtaugh's line "So what are you some kinda lethal weapon?" in the parking garage as they head to the car.

I have to admit that I only ever watched the German dub of the first movie, so I totally missed this :kiddo:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

J33uk posted:

I always took it as a North Hollywood shootout reference.

There weren't any flamethrowers in the North Hollywood shootout.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There weren't any flamethrowers in the North Hollywood shootout.
He's a crazy armored up guy with a large weapon. They just plussed it up a bit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some movie named The Rhythm Section opened in over 3000 theaters this weekend and grossed only $2.8 million for the weekend, which is an all-time worst for any film opening in over 3000 theaters.

also Bad Boys for Life has already grossed more than either Bad Boys 1 or 2 and it's only been out for two weeks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some movie named The Rhythm Section opened in over 3000 theaters this weekend and grossed only $2.8 million for the weekend, which is an all-time worst for any film opening in over 3000 theaters.

Deadline has already done a breakdown of what went wrong with The Rhythm Section and apart from Blake Lively's lead performance (which got good reviews) everything else about it was pretty hosed all the way through production.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/rhythm-section-box-office-bomb-blake-lively-paramount-james-bond-007-1202849211/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yikes

I've been seeing the trailer for The Rhythm Section in theaters for months, but I guess either no one paid attention or no one cared.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Saw it coming. Blake lively had a huge uphill to climb and she’s not one of the names that could have surmounted

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I saw it and its basically a big waste of time. There are some good things in the movie but overall its meandering. I rated it 2.5 stars on letterbox and that was .5 stars for the movie and 2 stars because they went with some very realistic gun sounds which makes the shooting in the film jarring and uncomfortable rather than "cool" which was a nice choice.

The best scene in the movie is: An impromptu fight scene between Jude Law & Blake Lively in Jude Law's kitchen, which is shot like a one take if I recall and goes on for a fair bit and was pretty nice!

The worst part of the movie is that it spends an interminable amount of time on blake lively's character reminiscing on her dead family who we don't meet at all in the movie itself so its trying reaaaally hard for us to buy blake's devastation at their death to justify her becoming some assassin. The plot itself is really stupid. Its like if there was a twist but its so obvious / inconsequential that theres no weight to it.

The only other thing I really liked about it was the way they shot Jude Law's character, for a long while you're basically only seeing him clomp his boots around and its like a very nice little physical performance by Law & the production design of his pants & boots contribute very well. I realize this is weird but whatever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

I really do not get why Netflix is giving him tens of millions of dollars. Nobody is subscribing or keeping their sub because the new Sandler joints are on it. The money would be better spent on licensing shows or movies.

The thing I always have to remind goons of is that people are pretty dumb. Adam Sandler still has a reputation as a "funny man," so it's a slam dunk for those people. Sure they might know it's not going to be a great comedy, but they'll get a couple laughs out during the run-time without having to expend brain power over a joke.

Weirdly enough, going over his IMDB, in 1990, he played a drug dealer in an ABC Afterschool Special called "Testing Dirty," which I kinda want to see now.

Rageaholic posted:

I've been seeing the trailer for The Rhythm Section in theaters for months, but I guess either no one paid attention or no one cared.

I've only seen ads for it on Hulu, and it was always confusing because the ads didn't really represent anything other than a few punches and explosions. It just looked bland and with a name like "Rhythm Section," I'd expect it to be about plucky high school marching band misfits that overcomes all the odds to make it to the state finals or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that bad title is not helping

I had no idea that it was some kind of spy movie until someone mentioned it in the thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I would have guessed it's oscar bait about a drug addict trying to put her life back together

through music

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Soft reboot of the Nick Cannon classic, Drumline.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It will only be years too late but Disney is releasing a filmed original cast stage production of Hamilton into theaters October 2021. Not exactly sure why it is taking so long when it is using an already filmed performance from 2016.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Because now we have the technology to turn the cast into cats.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It will only be years too late but Disney is releasing a filmed original cast stage production of Hamilton into theaters October 2021. Not exactly sure why it is taking so long when it is using an already filmed performance from 2016.

It takes that long to count the money.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1224394893901975553

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol drat. WB really wanted Hamilton too. The Mouse strikes again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is $75 million really the biggest film acquisition deal ever? That seems surprising.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Broadway union contracts regarding filming of performances.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Is $75 million really the biggest film acquisition deal ever? That seems surprising.

Yeah. Surely the Star Wars prequels beat that? Or did they not technically have to be acquired despite being independent productions?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gotta give props to the guy for making an absolute vault off a terrible musical.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Could have saved $75 million dollars and just remade 1776

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Goddamn did that dude make BANK off of some rapping grandma rear end poo poo for white people

Guess that checks out

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
HEY IM ALEXANDER HAMILTON AND IM HERE TO SAY
I LOVE LEARNING AMERICAN HISTORY
IN A SPECIAL WAY

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GrandpaPants posted:

Because now we have the technology to turn the cast into cats.

Hollywood is 20 years behind DeviantArt.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

HEY IM ALEXANDER HAMILTON AND IM HERE TO SAY
I LOVE LEARNING AMERICAN HISTORY
IN A SPECIAL WAY

At least we got that guy who was in Blindspotting out of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Goddamn did that dude make BANK off of some rapping grandma rear end poo poo for white people

Guess that checks out

Luckily, he used all that money to sabotage Puerto Rico's economy in pursuit of more money! Wait...poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At one point my spouse was dating the whitest guy imaginable and the way he would sing “My Shot” had me wishing the British would have won.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that bad title is not helping

I had no idea that it was some kind of spy movie until someone mentioned it in the thread

I actually think the title's kind of cool. I would never guess it was supposed to be some sort of spy thriller based on it though. I saw the trailer months ago and it looked ok I guess, but not something I would really bother seeing. Plus I don't like Blake Lively that much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
One more thing about Rhythm Section, Jude Law has the titular line where he says something like "Thats the Rhythm Section" when the rhythm section appears on screen

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jerkface posted:

One more thing about Rhythm Section, Jude Law has the titular line where he says something like "Thats the Rhythm Section" when the rhythm section appears on screen

Ok, I take back my previous post.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I guess we’re all just living in the rhythm section

*pulls out machine gun*

And this? Is my rhythm section

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I guess we’re all just living in the rhythm section

*pulls out machine gun*

And this? Is my rhythm section

Welcome to the Rhythm Section.

*cocks shotgun*

I'm first chair.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Grendels Dad posted:

I have to admit that I only ever watched the German dub of the first movie, so I totally missed this :kiddo:

It's not surprising that the line would get nuked in a dub as it's near the end of a well flowing conversation and not a brazen wink, wink, nudge, nudge call out like the awful one in A View to A Kill. Now that I think about it most of the dialogue was Murtaugh reading off the back of Rigg's baseball card which sets up a purpose for him to say lethal weapon in the first place. poo poo it still amazes me how intelligent and well constructed an action movie Lethal Weapon is, the only thing I can think of that's come close in recent years is The Nice Guys.

Anyway more on topic count me as not never having heard of The Rhythm Section. Similarly, when I first read the title I thought "serious Drumline" and not a spy thriller. I love me some spy garbage but I doubt I'll make it to the theater in time before it gets yanked.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Jerkface posted:

That's Chappie.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Luckily, he used all that money to sabotage Puerto Rico's economy in pursuit of more money! Wait...poo poo.

What? Got a link about this? I know a lot of people who LOVE Hamilton and listen to the music all the time. And yes they are mostly white and middle class.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MH Knights posted:

What? Got a link about this? I know a lot of people who LOVE Hamilton and listen to the music all the time. And yes they are mostly white and middle class.

https://remezcla.com/features/culture/lin-manuel-miranda-hamilton-in-puerto-rico-controversy/

Basically, he lobbied hard for the economic junta which imposed severe austerity on Puerto Rico with no democratic oversight from the island and to the benefit of mainland real estate developers and tech companies. As I recall he promised to rap in person for senators in exchange for them voting for the bill.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hamilton sucks poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bad Boys for Life was...actually pretty fun? Like I was expecting it to be inferior to the first 2 but it somehow managed to be as entertaining as them. Turns out this one didn't need Michael Bay directing to make it crazy after all.

It was directed by "Adil & Bilall" and I guess this is their US theatrical debut. I wouldn't mind seeing more from them.

Also:

Julius CSAR posted:

Hamilton sucks poo poo