Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I was almost convinced it was a good plan because the argument was so persuasive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Indeed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dick Bastardly posted:

Scum get a jump start on murdering towns in that case though...

Huh. This is weird. ##vote DB

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

merk posted:

Huh. This is weird. ##vote DB

Can you explain what about this you find weird (apart from using “towns” instead of “townies” like I’d probably expect?)

I’m in agreement with the sentiment which is basically what I said to chores earlier.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It just sounds weird.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Weirder than implicitly trusting chores that we should NL D1?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I don't think "DickyB sounds weird" is a case, more a statement of general fact. But maybe that's me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Monathin posted:

I don't think "DickyB sounds weird" is a case, more a statement of general fact. But maybe that's me.

What is your great d1 case, friend?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Let me get at a computer. Just got off work.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Scum are scared to post

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

merk posted:

What is your great d1 case, friend?

I agree, you are the only one making cases. That being said, your cases are... not good and feel a little forced by even D1 standards,

The case on me had a bit more substance than the DB one:

merk posted:

You felt a need to respond to a post that was going to have zero impact on the thread.

You didn't respond in a way that showed you wanted to figure out B-'s alignment, just that you needed to defend yourself.

merk posted:

Your post showed that you are worried about what other people think about you - you discredited B-'s vote immediately. You weren't hunting scum there.

which are ok points but more salient later in the game rather than early on. But hey it is D1 gotta find cases where you can. However, you previous input on the same situation was:

merk posted:

B- usually makes bad votes.

which is not all that different than

Hal Incandenza posted:

Not really a great point!

To me it looks like neither of us is particularly looking to hunt scum or try to figure out alignment there, we are both discrediting a bad vote. And of course I am going to discredit b-'s vote because its on me and I know its a bad vote. As your yourself point out it isn't really indicative of b-'s alignment.

There isn't much to say about your DB vote, other than since you didn't unvote me it probably isn't going to count. I think it's pretty odd that you built a two-post case on me then dropped it for what feels like even less of a case on DB.

The real question in my mind is merk trying to kick start the thread or is he trying to lead us down a path to our doom?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ok this is gonna be a little truncated (I have class in an hour and some light reading to finish) but here's some quick casework to satisfy Merk:

Hal Incandenza posted:

I am pretty sure its merk and mona based on posting so far

You already pointed out Hal's weird interaction later on but this was right at the start. While, yes, there's a thin veneer of jokephase over the comment it still reads as weirdly forced. If Hal wanted to be jokey he coulda just voted one of myself or Merk out and out, instead it reads as this light shade Hal can either back off of 'as a joke' or revisit more seriously later to try and build a case.

re: wins vs binus, binus throws out a vote on Hal after wins cases Hal, wins immediately turns on binus to call him scummy. Don't really think anyone's scum in that interaction (and I usually have a good meta read on binus, imho), so I'm not sure if there's anything more there I can say that hasn't already been said.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I actually liked your reasoning, wins

I emptyquoted the 'bruh' chores said in response to this, but Fisk kind of just throws this out here, doesn't really back it up, and then follows up with light shade on binus countervote on wins. I think Fisk actually looks the shadiest here (though I'm biased and usually assume Fisk is scum until proven otherwise) because it's kind of in the same vein as the thing you threw shade on Hal for: an empty +1. Fisk has a few other posts in thread that also make me feel like they're devoid of content. Which, I'm aware, is pot calling the kettle black given I haven't really started digging into the game until just now, but it feels weirder coming from Fisk, imo.

Regarding Chores and the possibility of NL I think I fall on the side of "town should always try and axe someone because it is their only way of removing scum". I don't think Chores is scummy for it though.

Scum picks right now: Hal, Fisk
Town picks: binus, wins, chores

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh, hi Hal.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Monathin posted:

You already pointed out Hal's weird interaction later on but this was right at the start. While, yes, there's a thin veneer of jokephase over the comment it still reads as weirdly forced. If Hal wanted to be jokey he coulda just voted one of myself or Merk out and out, instead it reads as this light shade Hal can either back off of 'as a joke' or revisit more seriously later to try and build a case.

I mean come on that is quite literally three posts after the game started and neither of you had posted yet.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean come on that is quite literally three posts after the game started and neither of you had posted yet.

yeah, I don't see how in the world anyone could read that and not see it as a toss away joke post at the start of the game. Not sure if this is Mona manufacturing content or trying to scumhunt from very little to go off of.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mean there was only a page of content to go over, I think I did pretty well, all things considered.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Anyway I'd vote Hal but Votefinder isn't showing up for me so I can't be certain if I'm putting him dangerously close to lunch so I'll vote my second choice just to have it on the board.

##vote Fisk

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

b-minus1 posted:

This is an insanely scummy post

Insanely scummy post that somehow doesn't merit a vote? I can't tell if you're just not very good at mafia or scum.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

merk posted:

I am doing well. How about you?

Nothing jumps out yet on these votes. I’m tempted to vote Hal just to kickstart conversation.

Doing pretty well. Life is good if somewhat boring.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

merk posted:

##vote Hal

This is the only awkward post that exists so far.

Since when has awkward equalled scum. I recall a long debate we had on that like 5 years ago.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

So Hal, you've made like 10 posts and in not a single one of them can I find an opinion of who is scum or town. You're just defending yourself and making snippy comments.

Who do you think is scum?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

wins32767 posted:

So Hal, you've made like 10 posts and in not a single one of them can I find an opinion of who is scum or town. You're just defending yourself and making snippy comments.

Who do you think is scum?

I don't have a particularly strong read anywhere yet, merk definitely a little suss for reasons I mentioned to me but he also stated earlier that he was going to drive content. Mona case on me and fisk felt like working backwards in both cases, so also not a good look, but those two are also the only two who have done much casing other than a bit from you so it feels wrong to list both them.

of everyone else, DB maybe, he's jumped in a lot to ask other people who they think are scum and make side comments but hasn't offered anything of substance. IS I think has been really strong thus far and I have a good town read on them. Null on almost everyone else at this point.

I'll ##vote DB for the time being but now I really have put suspicion on merk and mona that I may revisit more seriously later

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
I’ve been thinking about these posts that merk made after I voted hal.

b-minus1 posted:

That’s a great point. ##vote hal

merk posted:

I am doing well. How about you?

Nothing jumps out yet on these votes. I’m tempted to vote Hal just to kickstart conversation.

merk posted:

B- usually makes bad votes.

It’s only a bad vote because merk already knows that Hal will flip town if we lunch him. Checkmate.
##vote merk

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hmmm.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There’s nothing to say worth saying when “I agree” is sufficient

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I won’t begrudge you your bad vote though as you could be very well still big mad about fabricated slights from the game we played!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

There’s nothing to say worth saying when “I agree” is sufficient

What's this in response to?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

wins32767 posted:

What's this in response to?

Monathins bad vote

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I won’t begrudge you your bad vote though as you could be very well still big mad about fabricated slights from the game we played!

I try not to make a habit of carrying grudges through multiple games except for joking around, but I appreciate your benevolence.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It was only a tease

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ah, fair.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

##vote b minus

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

Hal Incandenza (2): wins32767, b-minus1, -wins32767, merk
b-minus1 (2): wins32767, Jonathan Fisk
got some chores tonight (1): IllegallySober
Dick Bastardly (1): Hal Incandenza
Jonathan Fisk (1): Monathin
Lynch No One! (1): got some chores tonight

Not Voting (1): Dick Bastardly

:h: With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is February 04th, 2020 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 10 hours, 15 minutes from this post.

:D

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
merk, something happened with your vote I think...?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Merk did not honor the Ecco Rule

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Monathin posted:

Merk did not honor the Ecco Rule

Yeah total noob move

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Wtf where is my vote

##unvote
##vote merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Rude.

##unvote; ##vote DB

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm laying down right now but I'll be up with plenty of time before deadline. Obviously I will switch to either of my main picks as needed and also consider other cases should they crop up when I wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m in and out of meetings most of the day today but will be checking in when possible. I’m still happy with my vote on chores for now but am open to reviewing other cases- I’ve skimmed but want to reread the last 20 or so posts that I haven’t digested fully yet.