Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I tend to imagine Vimes as Telly Savalas Kojak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Charles Dance as Vetinari?? poo poo I'm gonna have to track this down.

It seems so incredibly weird and wrong to adapt the Watch and not include Nobby and Fred. It reminds me of a story Terry told about working on an adaptation of Mort that had been going well until they had to pitch it to some Americans, who told them they loved it but to lose the Death angle.

It especially stands out because Freds and Nobbys were universal constants. Pratchett said that at signings, every time he met police of any kind they said that their precinct had a Fred and a Nobby.

Sometimes, he heard this from people who clearly were their station's Fred or Nobby, even if they personally were unaware of the fact.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Shoehead posted:

Shite, wrong Ronnie, but yeah. There's something about his demeanour as Fletch that's very Vimes-like.

I see him being like Philip Glenister. I know that's a bit typecast (Life on Mars), but it's always been that for me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I work in EMS, so I know all the cops who work for the county, and I definitely know a Fred and a Nobby.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I've always pictured Vimes as looking pretty much like Paul Hollywood. It's weird, because I only learned of the existence of Paul Hollywood in the last year or so, but he's almost exactly what I've been picturing in my head for the last twenty-odd years. Maybe a little more scarring, little more grizzled, but otherwise spot-on.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just think of Vimes like a scragglier and thinner Clint Eastwood like the Paul Kidby art depicts him

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I finally moved all my books from my old bookshelves to my new ones, and it really struck me that the only prose fiction I have is my old Terry Pratchett Discworld books. I must have read each of those books at least three times

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I've always pictured Vimes as looking pretty much like Paul Hollywood. It's weird, because I only learned of the existence of Paul Hollywood in the last year or so, but he's almost exactly what I've been picturing in my head for the last twenty-odd years. Maybe a little more scarring, little more grizzled, but otherwise spot-on.

Johnny Vegas is not Paul Hollywood :doh:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

freelop posted:

It's being described as a "punk rock thriller"

jesus

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Pratchett said he always pictured Vimes as Peter Postwaite.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
that's how i've always seen it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Phenotype posted:

I've always pictured Vimes as looking pretty much like Paul Hollywood.
Oh christ, a Bethesda NPC has come to life.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Iain Glen could probably do a decent job, he can look suitably glum and has the range for some of the poo poo you'd want for a Vimes in my opinion.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Is the guy who played Jorah in GoT seriously too busy to play Sam?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Iain Glen is too classy looking to play Vimes, like, he looks like he'd be a nobleman in Ankh-Morpork. Vimes is described as looking like a peasant or a rough sergeant quite a few times throughout the series. Plus, he's too thin, and I can't see him brawling in the gutter like Vimes. He has to be a thicker dude to be intimidating in the character of John Peel, but not too big of a guy -- see the spot in Men at Arms where he's like "This? This is not a scary uniform," and then beckons Carrot and Detritus to block out the sun over an assassin trainee. I also pictured something like 90s-era Sean Connery too.

I dunno, as far as headcanon I don't think it's a crazy choice. I'm not sure how to feel about being compared to a Bethesda NPC but I don't like it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Epicurius posted:

Pratchett said he always pictured Vimes as Peter Postwaite.

Wait, sergeant Obadiah postlethwaithe or Mr. Kobayashi postlethwaithe?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I always pictured vimes as Sean Bean but with the permanent scowl of Eastwood

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I always pictured vimes as Sean Bean but with the permanent scowl of Eastwood

"Permanent" is not a word I usually associate with Sean Bean's characters.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alhazred posted:

Now now, there are plenty of movies where his character doesn't die, such as Ronin and, uhm...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Now now, there are plenty of movies where his character doesn't die, such as Ronin and, uhm...

National Treasure -- just gets arrested
Troy -- he's Odysseus, surviving is kinda the point
Percy Jackson -- gets his lightning back and leaves.

E: last I heard he was at about a 33% death rate, up there with the great monster movie actors like Bela Lugosi, but with a smaller number of films.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 5, 2020

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Sharpe lived.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Sean Bean also played a minor role in the astronaut stuck on Mars movie and didn't die. Whatever the title of that was.

Point is I could see him playing Vimes provided he could lean into the humor of the role.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HIJK posted:

Sean Bean also played a minor role in the astronaut stuck on Mars movie and didn't die. Whatever the title of that was.

Point is I could see him playing Vimes provided he could lean into the humor of the role.

...The Martian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

...The Martian.

These live-action reimaginings are getting out of hand!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

thetoughestbean posted:

I just think of Vimes like a scragglier and thinner Clint Eastwood like the Paul Kidby art depicts him

My brain keeps trying but it's tough to square with an EnglishAnkhish accent, the "Smith, and Wesson, and me" voice goes with the face

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

The_Doctor posted:

...The Martian.

Yes, that one! thank you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My Lovely Horse posted:

... hope no one's taking that personally, I'd love a proper Discworld show myself with Ankh-Morpork and dwarves and wizards and witches and all the fantasy trappings, and it's a pity they're not making one, but what they're making looks interesting, they're not going for classic fantasy or Pratchett's Discworld specifically, and social media at large is gonna treat it like they are and dismiss it.

That's pretty much my take too. What they're doing looks interesting, even if it's in an 'Alternate Universe Discworld Fanfiction' sense, I'll watch it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Phenotype posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about being compared to a Bethesda NPC but I don't like it.
Sorry if the post was on some level of irony, but I was referring to Paul Hollywood. Literally a poorly thought out NPC face. Some of the textures even failed to load.

Also, Sean Bean is apparently still alive IRL, and could probably make for a perfectly fine Vimes. Forgot that.

Xander77 posted:

It must have been quite the thing at the very first convention where Terry described his ideal Vimes actor. "Do you know that Napoleonic wars TV series, Sharpe?"
"Oh yeah, that would make total sense."
"Well, the serial killer Sergeant would make for a perfect Vimes!"
":stare:"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 8, 2020

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Has there been any new news on the show?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

hanales posted:

Has there been any new news on the show?

Production has been paused for obvious reasons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

u brexit ukip it posted:

Stormy Monday, his first lead role. Also featuring Tommy Lee Jones and Sting.

And, I'm sorry to say, Melanie Griffith.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Can you believe I momentarily forgot about corona

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

At least some good news.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is good (click to read thread):

https://twitter.com/MakeYeFretPod/status/1247840167819456515?s=20

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I think the luggage would be completely immune to all damage up to and including an atom bomb.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I think the luggage would be completely immune to all damage up to and including an atom bomb.

It is, given what happens in Sourcery.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cardiac posted:

It is, given what happens in Sourcery.

As long as it's magical damage. Sapient pearwood is immune to all forms of magic, which is why the Luggage is more valuable than anything that can possibly be placed inside it.

The Luggage would be hibernating during lockdown, though. It only walks around when its owner is going somewhere.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

https://twitter.com/MakeYeFretPod/status/1247846781079171072?s=20

This was the most accurate one imo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How is the duck managing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern