Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Angrymog posted:

Interesting quick read that was shared on my local ArtSoc page, about how to treat 'failure' when arting.

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/my-advice-to-creatives-if-you-want-to-succeed-fail-fail-fast/

I am being attacked.

quote:

Sometimes, an artist will even go so far as to switch mediums, thinking it’s the medium’s fault that the paintings are ugly!

Seriously though this is an interesting article. It seems to drive home the importance of critique as a learning tool.

I am glad to be on the drawing kick. I think I had a bit of a crisis of faith but art, whatever that is called. I need to finish more pieces instead of quitting at the sketch phase. Also more sketching from reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Question for the poets and poetry-lovers. I’m trying to get exposed to good professionally published poems and poets. The local Barnes and Nobel is fine but I wanted to expand into periodicals and journals. The one I already have is “POETRY” from the Poetry Foundation. Any I should add to that list?

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 29, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Question for the poets and poetry-lovers. I’m trying to get exposed to good professionally published poems and poets. The local Barnes and Nobel is fine but I wanted to expand into periodicals and journals. The one I already have is “POETRY” from the Poetry Foundation. Any I should add to that list?

I like the annual collections published by Scribner. The 2019 edition just came out

No idea about monthly or quarterly publications, though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
In regards to that article: To be honest, in my particular case the medium WAS my issue, and switching from traditional to digital helped me start understanding things finally. I've gotten to the point that I CAN do traditional work because of swapping.
I don't know how well I can suggest that for others though. For all i know it was a fluke.

I didn't think I'd be doing all this work for a character i scribbled out while bingeing Slayers but here we are I guess.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 29, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This might be a longshot, but I might as well ask here since I’m not sure where else to ask.

Do any of y’all know anything about shrinking animated gifs/pngs/whatever so that they look clean?

I just finished putting together a forums gangtag for the Super Bowl, but all of my attempts to shrink it to 180 pixels wide in GIMP have ended in failure. The filesize is fine, but the lettering looks like ugly jagged rear end and I can’t figure out why or how to fix it. I’m hoping someone else can do a better job than me, or at least tell me how to do it right myself.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If you're image is 50px high, then you're not going to get smooth text - it looks jagged because there's a big jump for each pixel. Anti-aliasing would help, at the cost of making your image a bit more blurry. I have no idea how you'd make it happen, though, you need one of the pixel-art goons for that. We do have a pixel art thread in CC, maybe try there?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I. M. Gei posted:

This might be a longshot, but I might as well ask here since I’m not sure where else to ask.

Do any of y’all know anything about shrinking animated gifs/pngs/whatever so that they look clean?

I just finished putting together a forums gangtag for the Super Bowl, but all of my attempts to shrink it to 180 pixels wide in GIMP have ended in failure. The filesize is fine, but the lettering looks like ugly jagged rear end and I can’t figure out why or how to fix it. I’m hoping someone else can do a better job than me, or at least tell me how to do it right myself.

Shot you a PM.

Edit: Nevermind. Gotcha covered.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 1, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Shot you a PM.

Edit: Nevermind. Gotcha covered.

Thanks so much! I went to bed after I made that post, so I didn’t catch your PM last night, but I saw your post in TFF and it looks great!

I just PMed a mod to upload it.

Again, thank you. You rock!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Thanks so much! I went to bed after I made that post, so I didn’t catch your PM last night, but I saw your post in TFF and it looks great!

I just PMed a mod to upload it.

Again, thank you. You rock!

:hfive:

I didn't get this Adventure Hogs tag for nothin'. Glad to help!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any experience creating zines? I have an opportunity to make a zine to showcase my art, but I haven't really made one since high school. Looking for good ideas on paper to use and stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I want to post the first two chapters of my book here but I'm worried that it will just get buried and nobody will read it. I've heard that "feedback posts" for books tend to be ignored.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, unfortunately true. No harm in trying though.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to post the first two chapters of my book here but I'm worried that it will just get buried and nobody will read it. I've heard that "feedback posts" for books tend to be ignored.

Depends on the book. It’s tough, you’re asking for a free service; I know I’ve offered to proof but then life catches up with me. If it’s a couple chapters you can PM me and I’ll give them a read- I’m stuck on the plane tomorrow anyway

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the magic is real

name obscured not to hide copyright, but for my client's privacy! original characters do not steal. seriously please don't. this is a sacred work

e: what the disc art is attempting to depict is "elephant samba, tiger tango"

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 4, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They're adorable. Also I love your colour work. What's the medium?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That's lovely work! I agree that the coloring is really great.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Depends on the book. It’s tough, you’re asking for a free service; I know I’ve offered to proof but then life catches up with me. If it’s a couple chapters you can PM me and I’ll give them a read- I’m stuck on the plane tomorrow anyway

Thanks.

Here's the first chapter.

Here's the second.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Here's the first chapter.

Here's the second.

Do you have an email to send crits?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Do you have an email to send crits?

kiticanax@gmail.com

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thanks for the kind words everybody :3: the art is watercolour - i haven't used watercolour for a while and it's good to be getting back into it. the true magic is concealed within the disc, so i'm desperately hoping it ends up being hosted online somewhere someday so you can all listen to it. until then, copies are available only from the client, who sells them out of her handbag to passersby on the streets of sydney

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hey creative thread! Is there a screenprinting thread?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I don't think so, but a lot of folks in the traditional media thread do printing.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

hallelujah posted:

the magic is real

name obscured not to hide copyright, but for my client's privacy! original characters do not steal. seriously please don't. this is a sacred work

e: what the disc art is attempting to depict is "elephant samba, tiger tango"

That's really excellent, it reminds me of stained glass a bit. Have you thought about illustrating childrens' books?

I've been trying to work on a couple of new paintings with very little success, I feel like my creative well is basically tapped so maybe I need to watch some weird art films or something.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Do y’all feel like you ever truly finish a piece, or do you just get to a point where you tell yourself “I need to just stop here.”

Example: I submitted a piece to a lit mag’s novella contest. Submission deadline was 2/1. I’m proud of the piece I sent and I think it’s one of the tightest bits of writing I’ve ever done (I wouldn’t have submitted it if I thought otherwise). So from that standpoint, it’s finished. I should move forward to whatever comes next and leave this alone, yeah?

But now. NOW my brain is throwing new ideas for it at me that could ramp up the tension and do some other things to the narrative that might have improved it (yes, I know the counter argument is that these new ideas could have weakened it as well, but that’s beside the point). My brain just wants to keep chewing on this and see what other directions it could go in, rather than moving on to the next thing. And rather than put this piece aside, I’m likely just going to follow these new ideas just to see where they go.

Does that ever happen to anyone else? And it doesn’t have to be specific to writing, either. What about y’all who work with visual media?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Oh, sure, yeah. Nothing ever, ever feels finished. But unless you're gonna resubmit or republish something, it's usually better to leave it alone and do something else.

Now if you have an idea that just KILLS, that takes the original story and makes it so much better that you can't sleep at night, go ahead, get it all out of your head for sanity's sake. Just bear in mind you may have trouble shopping it around, and you could be using that time to create something new. That's what usually kills the rewriting bug in me, the idea that time is not infinite and there are more horizons to visit than I'll ever be able to reach in one lifetime.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
While there's always, ALWAYS more that you can do on a painting, (more refinement, add/remove elements) there's also a point where I'm loving done looking at it, for reals this time, and that's when it's done.
I've found a spot where I feel like any additional work on a pic is just going to be over-working it. Where the payoff for additional refinement is not as much as the work put into it.

Sometimes I do get an idea later on that would've worked for a pic, but instead of going back, I just work the idea into the next one.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Sometimes I do get an idea later on that would've worked for a pic, but instead of going back, I just work the idea into the next one.

That's kind of the approach I'm taking right now with this piece by exploring these new avenues. It's too late to do anything about the original that I submitted, but maybe something will sprout from the ideas that my brain wants to play with, and I can morph/weave it into something new. I'm trying not to look at it so much as rehashing something it's too late to do anything about, but use it a springboard for whatever's next. The frustration just comes from my brain not wanting to leave well enough alone.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
A musician told me once, you have to just put your foot down at some point and declare a piece finished or you can just spend forever tweaking things.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is this smart genre categorization, or am I dumb for even posting this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnEjzmR9Hvw&t=226s

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Any artistic types have a recommendation for a home printer that works well for printing art or photos in color at high resolution? I'm not sure if inkjet printers have improved much in the last decade but I could definitely use an upgrade and would like to print in good quality without going to fedex/kinkos

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm a big dummy when it comes to arts and crafts of any kind, yet I have several Leuchtturm1917 notebooks that I would like to put a design on the cover of, to assist me in differentiating them.
I tried a sharpie, but no amount of trying allows it to stick, and it can be trivially reverted to blank, which happened several times by accident before I gave up on it.
Is there some paint-like medium I can use that will adhere better? as long as it doesn't chip and fall off immediately I don't mind if the surface is no longer perfectly smooth.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

tiaz posted:

I'm a big dummy when it comes to arts and crafts of any kind, yet I have several Leuchtturm1917 notebooks that I would like to put a design on the cover of, to assist me in differentiating them.
I tried a sharpie, but no amount of trying allows it to stick, and it can be trivially reverted to blank, which happened several times by accident before I gave up on it.
Is there some paint-like medium I can use that will adhere better? as long as it doesn't chip and fall off immediately I don't mind if the surface is no longer perfectly smooth.

How about wrapping them in paper first, then painting that?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Option 2 would be going old-school, doing your design and then coating with a clear plastic film. I'm sure you'll remember this from your schooldays, coating books with book-coating plastic? Yes? Please say yes.
Option 3 is getting a cd-writing pen. They sell pens specifically for writing on plastic that sticks better on all smooth surfaces.
If all else fails, you can actually buy blank sheets of sticker (meant for printing, found in bookstores) that you could coat them with.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

acrylics stick to most things just fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What about cut vinyl?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
There's an idea. Just carve your designs onto the books.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Angrymog posted:

How about wrapping them in paper first, then painting that?

I like the colors, and want to keep them.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

There's an idea. Just carve your designs onto the books.

I would definitely screw this up, destroy the book, and injure myself somehow. :black101:

I'll give acrylics and vinyl a try. Thanks friends! :)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How's creation, lately

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I submitted a story to a magazine for the first time. The stakes couldn't be lower -- it's a 250-word flash piece for an online zine that doesn't pay -- but I'm still insanely nervous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice one! Submit another while you're waiting...